• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2010)

23chomsky600.1.jpg

Always a welcome read 30-40 mins before putting the night cap on. :lol

Ratrat

How are Samuel R. Delany's books?

Say if I liked Enders Game, Forever War, Starship Troopers
Dislike or indifferent to Hyperion, Pandoras Star, Dispossessed

mjc

51VMN9SWB9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I watched the movie on Netflix and decided to read the book. It's nothing shatteringly awesome but I have a weird interest in Nazis mucking around with archaeological/relic sites.

Finished this last night, although for the last third of the book, I just skimmed.

Great book cover, mediocre story. It's about a 12 year old girl who just so happens to be the 4th borne of a King, so a princess, who just so happens to have the unusual ability to talk to their allies, the pegasi. The book could have been a heart-warming story about the friendship between a pegasus and a human, but it turned out to be a watered down story of political intrigue and predictable plots. I also got annoyed at how often the girl mentioned she was short and what a burden it was. Yawn.

I was looking forward to this for months and started it this morning on the drive in to work.

I'm about 5% in and it's GREAT so far. It totally satisfies the 12-year-old girl in me.
[edit: awful book cover but great story. I see a trend.]

About 10% through. You guys convinced me to read this. Plus it is as cold as balls in PA right now and my house is freezing so reading this book makes it 10x worse.

51tVT42GBGL._SS500_.jpg

TheOddOne said:
Really like the sometimes cheesy B-movie feel.
A B-movie feel, really? I thought it was written so well that it was practically realistic sounding accounts.

Burger

Eaten By A Grue said:
About 10% through. You guys convinced me to read this. Plus it is as cold as balls in PA right now and my house is freezing so reading this book makes it 10x worse.

Great book. You will learn a lot about Franklin's ill fated expedition also.

coldvein

Banned
Eaten By A Grue said:

51tVT42GBGL._SS500_.jpg

you lucky dog. i should read that again. although i think it should make you feel much BETTER about the weather in PA. I mean, it's not minus 130 degrees or however cold it gets in the Terror..and you ARE in a house. it should make you feel warmer.

Burger said:
Great book. You will learn a lot about Franklin's ill fated expedition also.
coldvein said:
you lucky dog. i should read that again. although i think it should make you feel much BETTER about the weather in PA. I mean, it's not minus 130 degrees or however cold it gets in the Terror..and you ARE in a house. it should make you feel warmer.
:lol I am actually wrapped in a comforter reading this book. It is 30F outside right now with a real feel of 21F and I can hear the wind. Goddamn, even though this book is fiction I cannot imagine being stationary in ice in minus 130 trying to find the NW passage. The book is great so far, I am really enjoying it. I was actually debating between reading this or the Longships, but I am glad I picked reading this book at this time of year.

kaskade

Between my finals and work I've been so busy I haven't been able to get invested in a book. I'm hoping to get a kindle for christmas. I'm just going to sit in my room all day and read.

TheOddOne

Eaten By A Grue said:
A B-movie feel, really? I thought it was written so well that it was practically realistic sounding accounts.
I thought the story about the
heart transplant
was cheesy. Rest has been pretty awesome so far though.

Eaten By A Grue said:
PA GAF whoooo! :D

Arment

200px-WoT04_TheShadowRising.jpg

I stopped reading this series like 2 years ago after book 3. So much deus ex machina and after reading ASoIaF I was really disappointed in the lack of gray characters. I was desperate to find something on short notice and with all the recent hype I figured I'd give it another go. Half way through and so far not too bad.

Zalasta

Blackace said:
Reading "The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson

Looking forward to this epic.. glad he started it in his 30s..

Me too! Well, I started last month on the plane to Taiwan, but I have more time now that I've returned from my trip. I've always liked stories told in different viewpoints, but together with the jump in time line is takes more of an effort to keep track of everything. Not a Kal fan yet, I'm actually more interested in reading about Shallan and Wit.

Alucrid

Banned
Eaten By A Grue said:
:lol I am actually wrapped in a comforter reading this book. It is 30F outside right now with a real feel of 21F and I can hear the wind. Goddamn, even though this book is fiction I cannot imagine being stationary in ice in minus 130 trying to find the NW passage. The book is great so far, I am really enjoying it. I was actually debating between reading this or the Longships, but I am glad I picked reading this book at this time of year.

It's not THAT cold here in PA.

ymmv

Banned
kaskade said:
Between my finals and work I've been so busy I haven't been able to get invested in a book. I'm hoping to get a kindle for christmas. I'm just going to sit in my room all day and read.

Just think of the paperbacks you could buy for just the price of a Kindle. Plus actual books are cheaper than the e-versions.

Az987

all good things
I want to get my nephew a cool book for Christmas so does anyone have any recommendations for a 12 year old who's into fantasy type books? He reads above his grade level but I don't want to get him anything to adult. Hes currently reading Jurassic World by Michael Crichton.

Dresden

Az987 said:
I want to get my nephew a cool book for Christmas so does anyone have any recommendations for a 12 year old who's into fantasy type books? He reads above his grade level but I don't want to get him anything to adult. Hes currently reading Jurassic World by Michael Crichton.
12? Sabriel and Lirael by Garth Nix, maybe. Fantasy, zombies, good fun.

Beergut

Az987 said:
The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins is amazing.
My son loved the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan when he was that age.

ymmv

Banned
Az987 said:

Jack Vance - Tales of the Dying Earth
David Eddings - Belgariad books
Ursula K LeGuin - Earthsea Trilogy
Roger Zelazny - Princes of Amber books
Poul Anderson - The Broken Sword
Tolkien - Lord of the Rings
Sprague DeCamp - Complete Compleat Enchanter or Lest Darkness Fall

FnordChan

ymmv said:
Roger Zelazny - Princes of Amber books

I was about to suggest these as well. It's about the machinations of a large family of siblings who have the ability to travel through alternate realities and their vying for control over the prime reality they grew up in. The entire ten novel series has been collected in The Great Book of Amber, which Amazon will sell you for $17 with free shipping. That's 1264 pages of pure awesome. Well, okay, that's roughly 600 pages of pure awesome and roughly 600 pages of a pretty solid follow-up series. I read the Amber novels when I was around 12 and loved the hell out of 'em, so Az987, consider them highly recommended for your nephew.

FnordChan

41JmZ2BPqChL_SS500_.jpg

An oldie but goodie

At this point I just can't wait for finals to be over so I can dig into my reading list a little more voraciously. It has taken me far too long to get through this 100-page, physically tiny paperback.

Salazar

Norwegian Wood.

I quiver, genuflect, sob, rend my garments with shame that I am only reading it now. Glorious book.

Trying to find something for a friend of mine for Xmas, she reads everything. I don't read nearly as often so it's hard trying to find something for her, anyone read anything recently that they might suggest?

Maklershed said:
Any particular genre or type of book she's into?

You might want to check out BruceLeeRoy's Best of 2010 thread. You can find a lot of good suggestions there.

That's awesome! Didn't know it existed :)

Certain less into the fantasy side of stuff but she did enjoy Wicked and then Son of a Witch. I would draw the line at Sci-Fi though. Otherwise I think most of what she goes on would be Fiction.

Az987 said:
awesome guys, thanks.
If you are getting him LotR, be sure to get him a fancy edition or boxset. I first read the series when I was 12 and I still have the same boxset 16 years later. I am even considering buying a fancy hardbound edition sometime soon. The only crappy thing is the hobbit is usually not included.

Xater

demosthenes said:
That's awesome! Didn't know it existed :)

Certain less into the fantasy side of stuff but she did enjoy Wicked and then Son of a Witch. I would draw the line at Sci-Fi though. Otherwise I think most of what she goes on would be Fiction.

Has she read the Millennium Trilogy? Great thrillers that I ate up in no time.

Raistlin

Amongst some reference books (mostly programming languages/environments) ...

51QWwGRXouL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-15,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51kZ27JXCiL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-12,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I think I'll need to re-read Game of Thrones before continuing on with the Millennium Trilogy

Xater said:
Has she read the Millennium Trilogy? Great thrillers that I ate up in no time.

I know she's read the first one, don't know about the others. Love this thread w/ all the books though...it's making me want to read more! :lol

Hari Seldon

monte_cristo.gif

Just finished that 2 days ago. Listened to the Audible version narrated by John Lee. It is seriously the best book I have ever read and I plan on re-reading this far into the future. Holy crap was it good.

Now I just started the latest Wheel of Time book and it is a seriously large drop in literary quality. :lol

BigAT

Does anyone have any recommendations on good noir/crime novels? It's a genre I'm not especially familiar with, but would like to get in to.

wrowa

I need some books for my christmas wishlist ;) I've already have a few in mind, but there's still missing something. So I decided that I'd like to try a steampunk novel, a genre I find interesting but I have zero experience with so far.

To make it short: I need recommendations please. If possible the book shouldn't be part of a series.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
movie_club said:
only gets better
I was going to say recently reading the book Amusing Ourselves to Death got me interested in reading this book sometime soon, then I saw your avatar. :)

Burger

Hari Seldon said:
Just finished that 2 days ago. Listened to the Audible version narrated by John Lee. It is seriously the best book I have ever read and I plan on re-reading this far into the future. Holy crap was it good.

Now I just started the latest Wheel of Time book and it is a seriously large drop in literary quality. :lol

I've got the John Lee audiobook and it's incredible, I only ever got half way through before getting sidetracked, still need to pick it up. What an epic story though.

Tr4nce

Wyrd-sisters-cover.jpg

I've read every part in the Discworld series up until, Wyrd Sisters. Except for the first 'witches' Discworld story 'Equal Rites'. I'm not sure whether I'm liking it though. I like the story arcs of Rincewind and Death much more. But I'm not far in, so I hope it get's better!

Edit: does anyone know more books like 'Big Fish' from Daniel Wallace? I like fantasy stories like that :)

51V5257PNAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'd read up through Wizard and Glass back when that book came out, but I've been putting off finishing the series for years because of complaints about the last three books and due to my own growing dislike for Stephen King's deteriorating writing ability. Well, I've been mainlining these on my Kindle, and up through Wolves of Calla I was really in love with what King was doing -- he was approaching something really fascinating in building the world of the Dark Tower as being a sort of origin point for all creative storytelling. I'm in the home stretch, and I'm enjoying this book well enough, but there are some cringe inducing moments:

[Oy raised his head from his paws, gave a low, brief growl, then put his head back down again and appeared to go to sleep: Hell wit'choo, bad boy, I'm wit' my homies and I ain't ascairt.]

...anyway. There are some cringe inducing moments, but on the whole the book isn't so bad that I'm not going to finish it. It's just that... you know, it's just that this is kind of like the sixth season of Lost. It's readable, and it's close enough to what I fell in love with back when the story started, but I constantly find myself shaking my head and wondering what the hell happened.

After that I'm going to finally finish Simon's "Homicide".

BigAT said:
Does anyone have any recommendations on good noir/crime novels? It's a genre I'm not especially familiar with, but would like to get in to.
I believe i recommended this in another monthly thread....not really noir, but it is a pretty decent crime novel. And it also involves time traveling to boot!:

51k1aXGiYXL._SS500_.jpg

At the start of Doetsch's tricky thriller, an innocent man, Nicholas Quinn, is in police custody, suspected of murdering his wife, Julia, at their house in upscale Byram Hills, N.Y. Then a stranger gives Nick a watchlike device that allows him to change the past by sending him back, one hour at a time, for half a day. When Nick goes back in time, he discovers single events are the result of a complex web of causes. Saving his wife means untangling a plot that includes a robbery committed by corrupt cops, a horrendous plane crash and a mysterious family secret. Julia's fate seems to be inevitable, one way or another, and Nick's tampering brings death to friends and allies along the way. At times Doetsch (The Thieves of Faith) oversells Nick's anguish with breathless prose, and no character emerges as more than a cardboard cutout, but readers will enjoy the clever razzle-dazzle of a story whose parts fit together like clockwork.

Finished reading this today. I think that I beat my record in reading speed on this. Didn't even skim that much either. Her writing's just very simple and easy to read.

Loved it and thought it was a wonderful way to end this series. I wish every girl who's ga-ga about twilight would read this book instead. It has:

- strong female characters who kick ass and aren't dependent on men at all
- HEALTHY relationships and young people putting out instead of some overly moral, convoluted device that prevents them from doing the horizontal tangle
- a refreshing take on the paranormal genre

But best of all, even the main character is flawed. I like it when not everyone is perfect, but learns how to make do with their shortcomings.

ymmv said:
Just think of the paperbacks you could buy for just the price of a Kindle. Plus actual books are cheaper than the e-versions.

You could buy a lot of paperbacks for the price of a Kindle and honestly, that's what kept me from buying a Kindle all these years, but now that I've had one for a few months, I have to say that it's allowed me to read a lot more books than I did before. Most of it is convenience. It's lighter than most 700+ books I'd otherwise have to carry around, and it's easy to use with one hand (or even no hand if you prop it up on a table), which means I can be doing other stuff (like eating) at the same time. Also, I think at least for new releases, ebooks are cheaper if not the same price as a book, if you buy from Amazon or the other online big booksellers. Also, if you read books in the public domain, then it's free. And a lot of publishers are finally *getting* ebooks and putting out short, cheap novellas like here: http://www.angryrobotstore.com/category-9.html

Salazar said:
Norwegian Wood.
I quiver, genuflect, sob, rend my garments with shame that I am only reading it now. Glorious book.

It's weird. I just don't get all the love for Murakami. I read this book as an intro to him, since it's the most "normal" book he has and just hated his style and his characters. While reading this book, I just wished all the characters would stop whining and kill themselves. End their misery and mine so I don't have to continue reading. Read his After Dark too and thought it was trash.

wrowa said:
I need some books for my christmas wishlist ;) I've already have a few in mind, but there's still missing something. So I decided that I'd like to try a steampunk novel, a genre I find interesting but I have zero experience with so far.

For a quick read, I'd recommend:

It's a great, YA novel (1st in a series) about a girl impersonating a boy and getting a job on an animal blimp thing. Adventures ensue.

For something with more meat in it, I'd recommend:

It's not strictly steampunk, but has steampunk elements. It's neo-Victorian and there are all sorts of weird technology and gadgets. I'd say it's a mix of cyber meets steampunk.

Top Bottom