• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2010)

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Larry Brown lived in the town where I went to college. I went to several of his readings, and I also saw him doing field research for his many characters who abuse alcohol. He is worth reading. He doesn't write like Faulkner, but dwells on similar themes and creates similar characters (dirt poor people in the rural South).

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Finished The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin. A sharp, confident debut with some interesting views on religion and its influences on people.

Next up:

warriors-anthology-edited-by-george-r-r-martin.jpg

Warriors, edited by George RR Martin and Gardner Dozois. Gonna jump right into GRRM's new Dunk and Egg novella!

thomaser said:
41DSSPATA4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Finally finished Thomas Pynchon's Mason & Dixon today. Started it on New Year's Eve, so it took a while. But damn, what a book! Worth every second, probably my favourite Pynchon (have yet to read Against the Day and Inherent Vice). I should probably try to say something useful about it, but it's so overwhelming that I have no idea where to start. Just read it, please?
So I went ahead and ordered this yesterday. Should be arriving today or tomorrow. Looking forward to reading it. :D

allegate said:
I just spent the last week reading "Under the Dome" by Stephen King. Read no further if you haven't finished that massive bit of paper yet.

Really, Stephen? 1075 or so pages? And then at the end it's just "aliens haxxors wtf plz stop kthxbye the end". Christ on a biscuit, I know you have problems with endings but what the hell was that. I read over 1000 pages in a week just to have it be aliens? And not even evil aliens: it''s aliens babiez. there are less than 40 survivors of this devastation, and not even a short chapter about what happens after the dome? ARGH. Plus your writing is getting predictable. Or maybe I should not have read "Lisey's Story", "Just After Sunset", and "Duma Key" right before reading this one. I can tell pages before it happens when you're about to off someone.

Thematically it makes sense. There's the idea of microcosms in society. The idea of a big creature picking on little creatures without any real consideration. Jim Rennie being one of them, which is further reflected in the US government, and of course the very literal story of the magnifying glass and the ants. The Dome is very much so an ant farm, with all this hustle and bustle. I think there's a great comparison in Rennie and the alien kids. It takes Rennie down a peg, he is no better than some kid that doesn't think about his actions. And there are plenty more examples.

I think King very much so justified the ending.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just picked up Borges' Complete Fiction. It's phenomenal so far.

I"m cooling on Endymion really quickly. Simmons just seems to be coasting on the ideas from the earlier books, the plot is pretty thin, and halfway through I've already been told that some of the stuff I thought I understood from Fall of Hyperion is actually false.

eznark

Banned
Guileless said:
Larry Brown lived in the town where I went to college. I went to several of his readings, and I also saw him doing field research for his many characters who abuse alcohol. He is worth reading. He doesn't write like Faulkner, but dwells on similar themes and creates similar characters (dirt poor people in the rural South).

Nice.

Yeah, stylistically not even close to Faulkner but he evokes the same feeling and paints a similar picture, albeit in different times periods.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
0553108034.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Finished up American gods. Amazing book. Started A Clash of Kings. First time through the series and I hear this is even better than A Game of Thrones. Thisll be a fun read.

Currently reading: The Regulators by Stephen King -- recently finished Desperation
Garden of the Moon by Stephen Erikson
Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss -- Audiobook

Name of the Wind is the first audiobook I've ever actually been able to get into. Wonderful story. Today I sat in my car for an extra 15 minutes when I got home after work today just to finish the chapter I was listening to. Awesome, awesome story.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
FINALLY! finished Best Served Cold, took me months and months, i been real slack and any book that doesnt hook me gets regualted to on-the-toilet reading material. Anyways, not bad over all....... ending was alright.

Who's Shenkt meant to be?, i dont remember him from the first 3 books, been a while since i read em.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Quick guestion. Going to book store tomorrow and I'm finally going to pick up some Jared Diamond's work but don't really know where to start. Thinking about Collapse or Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. Which One ? They are both 30€ so I really can't afford both... Well I can but I'm still going to buy only one of 'em.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Back into William Gibson, after reading the SPrawl trilogy + Spook Country back to back a couple of books ago.

316n96s.jpg

Will probably take a break before diving into the Bridge Trilogy, though.

Xater

Right now I am having trouble to find something new to read for me. I am in phase where I had enough sci-fi and fantasy. Maybe GAF can help my out here? I'm looking for fiction and I really enjoy Nick Hornby.

World%27s+End+Sandman2.jpg
SandmanThe5769Vertigo21235_f.jpg

Sandman Volumes 8 and 9: I'm glad I decided to give this series a try. Very textured and very fun, with themes that add a lot of unexpected depth and resonance.
Except that one Jesus story in Worlds End. But, everyone hiccups sometimes.

Briaeron

Neo Member
The Judge said:
On the other hand, I wanted to ask some reccomendations on Norse Mythology Literature, with the stories of everything in a book or something, if possible. I love the topic but know almost nothing about it. Anyone got any ideas?

Gaiman's Odd and the Frost Giants, while a children's book is an entertaining norse read.

the-other-lands-art.jpg

Mediocre first book, see where it goes from here.

devil-white-city.jpg

Halfway through, really one of the first non-fiction books I've enjoyed reading.

Also did a quick ASoIaF reread and a Gathering Storm reread of Rand's storyline as I felt I rushed through the first time.

Finally a plug for Ken Scholes' Psalms of Isaak series. A great read for the fantasy genre.
Lamentation_Scholes

Right now I'm reading Foundation's Edge by Asimov. Just finished reading the first three books of the same series for the first time. Before that, I read Battle Royale by Koushun Takami and the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin.

FnordChan

Xater said:
Right now I am having trouble to find something new to read for me. I am in phase where I had enough sci-fi and fantasy. Maybe GAF can help my out here? I'm looking for fiction and I really enjoy Nick Hornby.

I know zilch about Nick Horby, so I can't make any recommendations based directly on that. However, a while back I went from reading SF and fantasy almost exclusively to reading other types of genre fiction, so I thought I'd throw out some authors I've really enjoyed that you might want to check out, along with short descriptions of recommended novels and an Amazon link. Hopefully one of them will catch your eye!

Laurie King's Mary Russel series starting with The Beekeeper's Apprentice, a Sherlock Holmes pastiche about a young woman who teams up with Holmes later in his life.

George Macdonald Fraser's Flashman series, wherein a total bastard tells the history of the British empire in the late 19th century.

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series beginning with Master and Commander, top-notch, jargon heavy adventures about the British navy in the late 18th century.

Both Donald Westlake's comedic crime fiction, particularly the Dortmunder series (beginning with The Hot Rock), and his dead serious Parker series written as Richard Stark (beginning with The Hunter).

John Le Carre's spy fiction, especially his George Smiley trilogy which kicks off with a deep Cold War riff on Kim Philby in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

William Marshall's Yellowthread Street series of surreal police procedurals set in Hong Kong starting in the early 70s. For a more straight-forward procedural, you can't go wrong with any novel in Ed McBain's 87th Precinct series.

Good luck!

FnordChan

FnordChan said:
Laurie King's Mary Russel series starting with The Beekeeper's Apprentice, a Sherlock Holmes pastiche about a young woman who teams up with Holmes later in his life.

How did I not know of this?! I finished the entirety of the Holmes stories a long time ago, and I'm currently making my way through the outskirts of Poirot that I failed to travel on previous occasions. This will make quite the addition to my backlog. Thanks again, FnordChan.

FnordChan said:
George Macdonald Fraser's Flashman series

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series

John Le Carre's spy fiction

I can enthusiastically second these recommendations.

FnordChan

Tim the Wiz said:
How did I not know of this?! I finished the entirety of the Holmes stories a long time ago, and I'm currently making my way through the outskirts of Poirot that I failed to travel on previous occasions. This will make quite the addition to my backlog. Thanks again, FnordChan.

The Beekeeper's Apprentice is what got me reading mystery novels in the first place. I wound up dropping by Spenser's Mystery Books in Boston (alas, now closed as a retail store) and wanted to buy something. I had the vague idea that I'd heard TBA recommended, so I grabbed it and proceeded to tear through the entire series, along with Laurie King's Kate Martinelli series. I wouldn't say the Russell books are for everyone - there's a lot of romance and, in some cases, travelogue elements to the series - but I'm a fan. I also just noticed that, having not read King for a while, she's gone off and written several new novels to catch up on. Woo!

Also, while they were discussed earlier in the thread I can't help but continue to pimp Martin Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko series of Soviet-era mysteries beginning with Gorky Park.

FnordChan

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The Flashman series (at least the couple I read) were very fun.

I'm going to try to pick up Gorky Park based on your recommendation, do they continue to the post-Soviet era, I have no idea how long he wrote that series?

SpiffyG

n16780.jpg

Received this as a gift from a friend. I'm about 50 pages in and I've never read a book that talks about cocaine more than this one.

finowns

Just got a kindle. Reading this vampire series by Charlie Huston, I really like it for some reason. (Remember seeing it posted here awhile back thanks for the ref.)

51Y6HZUQ9mL._SL500_AA246_PIkin2,BottomRight,-13,34_AA280_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And my kindle is amazing, although it hurt to drop $250 on it. I can totally see paper books being obsolete one day; Kinda sad.

Just finished reading The Time Machine (great book) and I'm now reading Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.

Looks very interesting... *writes down for later reading...*

Sounds very interesting, it's some kind of detective work drama right? Like finding who the murderer really is, weird clues, plot twists, etc. Or is it more about the characters?

allegate said:
Blah blah blah ENDING PLOT TWIST blah blah blah

I know you wrote a warning, but can you please use spoiler tags the next time? Please. PLEASE.

Xater

FnordChan said:
I know zilch about Nick Horby, so I can't make any recommendations based directly on that. However, a while back I went from reading SF and fantasy almost exclusively to reading other types of genre fiction, so I thought I'd throw out some authors I've really enjoyed that you might want to check out, along with short descriptions of recommended novels and an Amazon link. Hopefully one of them will catch your eye!

George Macdonald Fraser's Flashman series, wherein a total bastard tells the history of the British empire in the late 19th century.

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series beginning with Master and Commander, top-notch, jargon heavy adventures about the British navy in the late 18th century.

Both Donald Westlake's comedic crime fiction, particularly the Dortmunder series (beginning with The Hot Rock), and his dead serious Parker series written as Richard Stark (beginning with The Hunter).

John Le Carre's spy fiction, especially his George Smiley trilogy which kicks off with a deep Cold War riff on Kim Philby in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

William Marshall's Yellowthread Street series of surreal police procedurals set in Hong Kong starting in the early 70s. For a more straight-forward procedural, you can't go wrong with any novel in Ed McBain's 87th Precinct series.

Good luck!

FnordChan

Thank you FnordChan. Some interesting stuff. I will put Master & Commander, Yellothread and the Hot Rock on my wishlist.

And yeah I can see that you don't know Hornby. ;) Most of his suff is about everyday life and a more comedic view on relationships.

Nothing wrong though with your recommendations. I am really just sick of fantasy and sci-fi. I was looking at some of GAF favorites like Atlas Shrugged but that doesn't sound too appealing to me.

Edit: Does someone know some great Japan related books? Don't care if fiction or non-fiction in this case.

Salazar

Finished J. Maarten Troost's Lost on Planet China: The Strange and True Story of One Man's Attempt to Understand the World's Most Mystifying Nation. Very good, especially after reading all of the China threads on GAF.

Started Smile When You're Lying: Confessions of a Rogue Travel Writer, by Chuck Thompson. Excellent so far.

Incidentally, anybody who enjoys Flashman must try Kyril Bonfiglioli's Mortdecai trilogy.

Fritz

51vyAIfxA4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I am currently reading Anthony Powell's "A Question of Upbringing" due to someone mentioning it in one of these threads. I dig it this far. I know its part of the cycle "A Dance to the Music of Time". Is it worth reading the whole thing? If so, is there something like an ultimate edition? only the first three books have been published in German ages ago and are hard to come by these days.

Salazar

I think you can buy 'A Dance' in volumes of three or so books. Yes, I would say that it is worth reading. The television adaptation is worth seeing, too. Simon Russell Beale is very good as Widmerpool.

You should try Kingsley Amis if you like it, or if you end up not being able or inclined to read the entire lot. A more expressly comic writer, but with a similar ability to render serious events humorous in his phrasing, or make humorous events still more intensely funny by phrasing them seriously. 'Lucky Jim' is the master text.

Fritz

Salazar said:
I think you can buy 'A Dance' in volumes of three or so books. Yes, I would say that it is worth reading. The television adaptation is worth seeing, too. Simon Russell Beale is very good as Widmerpool.

You should try Kingsley Amis if you like it, or if you end up not being able or inclined to read the entire lot. A more expressly comic writer, but with a similar ability to render serious events humorous in his phrasing, or make humorous events still more intensely funny by phrasing them seriously. 'Lucky Jim' is the master text.

Ok, thanks. I'll check that out. For now Im gonna read the first three books in German as they make up the 1st movement anyway. Just got a hold on a vintage edition on amazon for a great price. I'll see if I'm keen to get the 2nd movement (or just the 4th book) in English afterwards.

TheOddOne

Just finished Survivor: A Novel by Chuck Palahniuk, it was decent until the ending.

Just picked up:
51od7UP7SQL._SX106_.jpg
7117831.jpg

Both sound freaking awesome, cannot wait to read them.

SpiffyG said:
n16780.jpg

Received this as a gift from a friend. I'm about 50 pages in and I've never read a book that talks about cocaine more than this one.

Is this any good? I liked and hated American Psycho (liked the movie, couldnt read the book - too detailed and in first person)

Fuzz Rez

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Just finished Survivor: A Novel by Chuck Palahniuk, it was decent until the ending.

Just picked up:
51od7UP7SQL._SX106_.jpg
7117831.jpg

Both sound freaking awesome, cannot wait to read them.

Hmmmm... Is there any differences between 1st edition of World War Z and the later editions ? My friend has the HC 1st edition and it has about 30 pages more than mine (don't remember what edition) or is it just the font size or something like that ? Because I do know that sometimes there are big differences between some editions. I was just wondering if I should seek out the first edition of WWZ.

Oh and I bought "Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies" today. Gonna start reading it soon.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
just started on under the dome by stephen king.

Like all his novels it's got me from the outset. He makes amazing characters. I'm deathly scared its going to end really week like almost all his novels though, it certainly could happen once it's 'splaining time regarding where the dome comes from.

Zinga

Banned
41l9Xu5UtyL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Finished reading both volumes of Richard Dolan's UFOs and the National Security State. Very well written and researched, literally couldn't put them down.

If anyone has any other recommendations of quality UFO history books I would love to read them.

thomaser

Xater said:
Nothing wrong though with your recommendations. I am really just sick of fantasy and sci-fi. I was looking at some of GAF favorites like Atlas Shrugged but that doesn't sound too appealing to me.

I don't think Atlas Shrugged can be called a GAF favourite. When it's recommended, the recommendation is usually ironic.

You asked about books about Japan... well, here's a real GAF favourite for you: Haruki Murakami. His books are not about Japan, but they take place there for the most part. Some of his best books are: "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles", "Kafka on the Shore", "The Wild Sheep Chase" and "Dance, Dance, Dance". Many of his books have a curious blend of mundane everyday-ness and surreality. Often very funny, often very creepy, and always an absolute joy to read.

kingofrod

our-band-could-be-your-life-scenes-from-the-american-indie-underground-1981-1991.jpg

Just started this, and I can already tell it's going to be one of those books I'll tear through.

Just finished Dave Sedaris' "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim"; can't recommend this one enough either.

Xater

thomaser said:
I don't think Atlas Shrugged can be called a GAF favourite. When it's recommended, the recommendation is usually ironic.

You asked about books about Japan... well, here's a real GAF favourite for you: Haruki Murakami. His books are not about Japan, but they take place there for the most part. Some of his best books are: "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles", "Kafka on the Shore", "The Wild Sheep Chase" and "Dance, Dance, Dance". Many of his books have a curious blend of mundane everyday-ness and surreality. Often very funny, often very creepy, and always an absolute joy to read.

I didn't know Atlas Shrugged was ironic. I've seen someone reading it so often in these threads...

That seems to be an awesome recommendation! Thank you! I just ordered one of his books.

VistraNorrez said:
Thematically it makes sense. There's the idea of microcosms in society. The idea of a big creature picking on little creatures without any real consideration. Jim Rennie being one of them, which is further reflected in the US government, and of course the very literal story of the magnifying glass and the ants. The Dome is very much so an ant farm, with all this hustle and bustle. I think there's a great comparison in Rennie and the alien kids. It takes Rennie down a peg, he is no better than some kid that doesn't think about his actions. And there are plenty more examples.

I think King very much so justified the ending.
But I was talking about the ending, not the themes.
The ending being the whole "we got our life back, yay!"
Solid Moustache said:
I know you wrote a warning, but can you please use spoiler tags the next time? Please. PLEASE.
Alright, not a problem.

FnordChan

Musashi Wins! said:
I'm going to try to pick up Gorky Park based on your recommendation, do they continue to the post-Soviet era, I have no idea how long he wrote that series?

Yes, the series continues past the Soviet era. The first half is late Soviet, with the third novel taking place during the 1991 coup attempt, and the later books continue forward to the present day. The seventh novel in the series, Three Stations, is due out this year, so if you like Gorky Park you've got a lot to look forward to.

Solid Moustache said:
Sounds very interesting, it's some kind of detective work drama right? Like finding who the murderer really is, weird clues, plot twists, etc. Or is it more about the characters?

The Secret Pilgrim is very much a character study, structured as a series of vignettes about espionage taking place over the course of the Cold War. It's also a retrospective of Le Carre's previous novels, so you wouldn't want to jump in there. For a more straight forward (though still strongly character driven) novel by Le Carre, try Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, wherein our hero is called back from retirement to try to discover a mole operating within the British intelligence community.

Xater said:
Nothing wrong though with your recommendations. I am really just sick of fantasy and sci-fi.

Yeah, I knew my recommendations weren't going to jive with the author you mentioned. I just thought I'd throw out some of the authors I got into when I started to move away from SF and fantasy myself. Check out O'Brian, Marshall, and Westlake and let us know what you think.

Zinga said:
If anyone has any other recommendations of quality UFO history books I would love to read them.

Try The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects by Edward Ruppelt. Ruppelt was in charge of Project Blue Book in it's early days and published his report in 1956, so it's the source of a lot of UFO lore. I wanted to read a UFO book not too long ago and I asked a friend of mine who knew a lot about the subject, and this was what he recommended. You may also find this bibliography to be helpful.

Salazar said:
Incidentally, anybody who enjoys Flashman must try Kyril Bonfiglioli's Mortdecai trilogy.

That looks awesome and I've added it to my Amazon wish list. Thanks for the recommendation!

FnordChan

Top Bottom