• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2014)

mcfrank

jony_ive_book-250x369.jpg

Pau

I remember folks talking about this and I wanted some nice fantasy to read. No idea what to expect really. My copy came a bit bent from Amazon but I hope that's not an omen.

I finished Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold - ★★★★ - I liked the first two Vorkosigan books I read, but this one completely won me over. Cordelia Naismith stole the show, once again. She and sergeant Drou were amazingly well written characters, and the pacing to this book was just about perfect. Highly recommended.
Just keep going. It just keeps delivering at least through A Civil Campaign.

Mumei

I remember folks talking about this and I wanted some nice fantasy to read. No idea what to expect really. My copy came a bit bent from Amazon but I hope that's not an omen.

:O

It's amazing. You're in a for a fantastic historical-fiction-cum-Arthurian-fantasy treat~

obin_gam

Is the Tremeraire-series (the one with the dragons existing during the napoleonic wars) any good/worth looking in to?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes, although the books tend to alternate between exciting action packed dragon-based aerial combat and dull travelogues.

Haly

Where's my HBO miniseries?

Thinking about it, it would be very very expensive to produce Temeraire with any degree of faithfulness to the books. Dragons and world architecture and sailing and shit.

Haly

That's true. Temeraire is a sausagefest.

I read the first two within a few months, then had to wait a year for Abaddon's Gate, and even with a years break, Abaddon's gate wasn't nearly as good as the first two. Ty did say they were trying something different with the third book, and it did feel different, but it wasn't a positive change.

Hoping the next one is better. Should be out this summer if I'm not mistaken.

I haven't really noticed anything particularly different, but I don't really pick up on those things unless they drastic. But yeah, hopefully they return to the older formula if that's the case. A couple less main characters would be nice too, since I find myself not caring about a couple of them (Avasarala, Anna, for example).

I have to say though, I really wanted Bobbie
to become their permanent gunner. :(

Mr.Swag

Banned
Reading "Night Film" and I'm 25 percent thru.
Book is very similar to Cuckoos Calling so far. Feel kinda weird reading such a similar book

Tenrius

I've been reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. It's an interesting idea and the book is quite well-done, but I just find it very depressing for some reason. I'm not sure why: I don't even know anyone with behavioural issues (well, maybe one guy, but it's very mild in his case), but I still find everything described in this book to be really sad.

KuroNeeko

Hey GAF,

I know this is kind of the wrong thread, but it's somewhat related so I'm throwing this out there.

I've been an avid reader all my life and have always loved books. I 've got those bittersweet memories of lugging around big ass Sci-Fi anthologies in my backpack, struggling to choose which books to carry in my bags on trips, the whisper of the pages late at night, and the smell of a brand new book (which is maybe third only to the smell of a fresh pack of trading cards and butt-busting spicy chicken wings.)

Now, after years of living in Japan with insane price markups, long-ass shipping times, and less space to store my atheneum - I'm finally considering an e-reader.

How many of you use a reader? Do you miss the tactile sensation of actually reading? Mumei had an excellent post a while back about the differences between the two mediums that was a good read, but I'm also interested in your opinions.

The idea of buying a book (often cheaper!) and then downloading it instantly is really tempting - almost scary if I think about my credit card bill! So what do you think? Am I just a paper dinosaur? Should I get with the times and save some trees?

As for books I'm reading -

I just started A Dance With Dragons and am reading it along with 人はなぜ形のないものを買うのか - a book about why people spend money on digital goods and microtransactions. I'm convinced that Japan CAN make an ethical, consumer-friendly social game that can contribute a positive experience without exploiting gambler psychology...yeah, good luck with that.

As for A Dance With Dragons, I'm excited about more
Tyrion
, but I can't say that I was thrilled with his opening chapter so far.

See you in March!

Pau

Hey GAF,

I know this is kind of the wrong thread, but it's somewhat related so I'm throwing this out there.

I've been an avid reader all my life and have always loved books. I 've got those bittersweet memories of lugging around big ass Sci-Fi anthologies in my backpack, struggling to choose which books to carry in my bags on trips, the whisper of the pages late at night, and the smell of a brand new book (which is maybe third only to the smell of a fresh pack of trading cards and butt-busting spicy chicken wings.)

Now, after years of living in Japan with insane price markups, long-ass shipping times, and less space to store my atheneum - I'm finally considering an e-reader.

How many of you use a reader? Do you miss the tactile sensation of actually reading? Mumei had an excellent post a while back about the differences between the two mediums that was a good read, but I'm also interested in your opinions.

The idea of buying a book (often cheaper!) and then downloading it instantly is really tempting - almost scary if I think about my credit card bill! So what do you think? Am I just a paper dinosaur? Should I get with the times and save some trees?
I have a Nook. One of the first. I didn't keep up with using it because I almost never found books I wanted to read on it. That soured me on the experience. Granted, this was three years ago.

My sister recently bought a Kindle and loves it. I honestly think most people can be okay with the transition, and hey if it makes economic sense, go for it. Personally, I love the feel of paper, to the point that I have really bad (and annoying...) habits of consistently flipping through books. (No idea how else to explain it.) It calms me down, and it's one of the things I enjoy most about reading: having this object that I can manipulate physically while doing a more mental activity. I never got quite the same experience with my Nook. But I think I might just be a weirdo. :(

Jintor

If you're travelling or in a non-permanent location, an e-reader is invaluable.

What it sucks for is books where you want to flip around a lot to try and re-read information to figure out what's going on. Textbooks or long fantasy novels or sci-fi bullshit where you're like "What's this alien name? where did this character come from? When was the last time I heard about this kingdom etc"

I love my kindle, especially for... like, junk novels I just want to one-and-done, but I prefer paperbacks.

Does Japan get good free/cheap book shipping from anywhere?

Been on the Kindle bandwagon since the very first one was released. It was a freaking lifesaver in Iraq and Afghanistan (no way to pack and ship that many books around).

I finally upgraded this past year to a paperwhite. I'm absolutely in love with the form factor, the convenience, and surprisingly, the reading experience. Call me weird, but I'll take the Kindle version of a book over a physical copy every single time.

What I cannot explain is why I read faster on a Kindle, but that's been my observation. I get through more books at a faster pace.

Jintor

Can you easily scroll on the paperwhite like you can on the android app etc? It kills me on my... I don't know what model kindle this is, it's keyboardless but non-touch... anyway, it's really shitty to scroll on it. Really easy on the eyes though.

In the last two weeks I finished the last Dresden Files book.

12216302.jpg

tumblr_leczunQjK21qz7t98o1_500.png

14497.jpg

7276-square-400.jpg

And just today I finished the in my opinion completely unfinished...

51sGKaAJBML.jpg

I listen to audiobooks while working so I go thru a book in a couple of days.

I have a Kindle Fire HD and love it. I still buy physical editions (only for books I want to collect) but mostly stick with the Kindle version. I don't miss the experience of hard copy books at all. While it is different, it's still an engrossing and enjoyable experience.

Haly

There are upsides to physical but it's hard to beat having your library at your beck and call. And I'm one of those people who frequently rereads, so if I'm in the middle of a commute and I feel like reading some Pratchett, by god I will read Pratchett.

How many of you use a reader? Do you miss the tactile sensation of actually reading?

I definitely prefer physical copies. I like the tactile feel, I love feeling like reading is something I can do completely offline and non-digitally, and I really like being able to display my collection. Lending my books isn't a huge deal, but it's nice to have the option when somebody asks for a recommendation. I generally only buy stuff for my kindle when it's a great deal cheaper, which leaves me with more than enough material for times when I can't take enough physical reading material.

tauroxd

Reading "Night Film" and I'm 25 percent thru.
Book is very similar to Cuckoos Calling so far. Feel kinda weird reading such a similar book

I have read both of them but didn't really make a connection until now, maybe it was because I read Cuckoo's in July and finished Night Film 2 weeks ago, but you will see that both have very different stuff to not think about them like a similar thing.

I hope you you enjoy Night Film as mush as I did, wich was a lot.

Lumiere

Neo Member
While I do really enjoy physical books, I'm kinda picky when it comes to fonts/quality of print, and reallllly dislike reading on mass-market paperbacks in general. I'd say I prefer physical if I can get a nice edition, otherwise I rather go with my Kindle.

I also borrow a lot from the local library, which, thankfully, has a great ebook selection - and being able to pick a book to read, download and start it right away is fantastic. It also saves me from the risk of ending up with a beaten up/dusty/dirty library book, which is something that I can't stand D:

Also, the Paperwhite is unbeatable when reading in bed!

Shengar

While I do really enjoy physical books, I'm kinda picky when it comes to fonts/quality of print, and reallllly dislike reading on mass-market paperbacks in general. I'd say I prefer physical if I can get a nice edition, otherwise I rather go with my Kindle.

Yeah, while cheap mass market paperback isn't good to look at or placed on the shelf. Which is why I'm upset that my newly received Mistborn Trilogy copy is mass market paperback D:

Piecake

Been on the Kindle bandwagon since the very first one was released. It was a freaking lifesaver in Iraq and Afghanistan (no way to pack and ship that many books around).

I finally upgraded this past year to a paperwhite. I'm absolutely in love with the form factor, the convenience, and surprisingly, the reading experience. Call me weird, but I'll take the Kindle version of a book over a physical copy every single time.

What I cannot explain is why I read faster on a Kindle, but that's been my observation. I get through more books at a faster pace.

Yup, so glad I have a Kindle for Words of Radiance. Reading a book that big in hardcover/paperback is just not fun. Not to mention that the binding will likely go to shit anyways.

I agree that the eReaders don't do well for textbooks or when you have to go look up information again. Of course, one solution is to simply take good notes

NekoFever

Damn, there's a new English Witcher book coming out on the same day as Words of Radiance. I only know because I happened to look up Sapkowski on Amazon.

TTG

Got a Kindle Paperwhite last august, I was running out of shelf space at home, haven't looked back since.

Advantages:
-Integrated English and a few foreign language dictionaries, plus Wikipedia, is a huge deal. It doesn't break my immersion at all to tap on a word, look up the exact definition or translate a small passage and then get back to reading.
-On the Kindle there's a functionality called "X-ray", I assume other ereaders have an analogous feature. What it does is track frequently used words(this is ambiguous, more on that below), which happen to be character names most of the time. So, ideally, losing track of characters is eliminated because no matter what name is used(say a patronymic in a Russian book) the reader can always bring up a reference where all the instances where that character is mentioned are compiled, links to exact page number included. The downside is that it seems to be wholly managed by the publisher, so if they drop the ball you're shit out of luck.
-It really will save you money in the long run. Not to mention all the works that are public domain at this point, or are unpopular enough to warrant some two dollar price tag.

I was going to list the disadvantages of the kindle or the advantage of paper, but it seems sort of self evident.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
How did you like the first two? I've been meaning to give the series a shot, but that's still a ways off. I want to read the latest Sanderson and finish the Black Company series first.

Liked them a lot. Easy and good reads.

Got the Red Knight in a sale a while back, need to get around to it. Anything you would compare it to?

Hmm, tough question. Haven't really given much thought to comparisons, but it's well written with interesting characters and story. Pretty dark if you like those type of things. Recommended.

Top Bottom