• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2010)

thomaser

Read two books in the last week of 09: Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian" and Arto Paasilinna's "The Year of the Hare". Both very enjoyable.

41NKuyRY4KL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Historian is a surprisingly good, modern Dracula-tale. It's not without flaws, the plot being driven forward by a string of extremely unlikely happy coincidences the worst of them, but if you can overlook that, it's a worthy follow-up to Bram Stoker's Dracula. The historic detail is very impressive, and Dracula himself is terrifying.

215CJMF2CEL._SL500_AA180_.jpg

The Year of the Hare is a short, quirky fable-like tale about a man who suddenly, upon hitting a little hare with his car and picking it up, decides to escape from his frustrating life and wander out into the Finnish woods together with the hare. They get into shenanigans. Lots of them. Many laugh-out-loud moments and strange characters.

41DSSPATA4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It's been a sort of ritual with me to start the year with a long, difficult book, and this year is no exception. Just started Thomas Pynchon's "Mason & Dixon", which has stood in my bookshelf for three-and-a-half years. His language is overwhelming, so it will take a while to get into the groove of it. Love the little I've read so far, though!

ronito

51Fye8LX5ML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Wife bought me vols 1 and 2 for christmas. Finished vol one in like a day. Now going through #2. Enjoyable, a very interesting writing style. I'll learn a lot from this.

Parham

Banned
2ptzbyq.jpg

I just started reading the book this morning. I will probably finish it later tonight, since it is only around 90 pages.

Chorazin

61wf93FoKmL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Pretty cool, it's in the same vein as the Zombie Survival Guide. Very readable on my Kindle, illustrations and all.

FnordChan

under_the_dome.jpg

I'm about halfway through Stephen King's Under The Dome and thoroughly enjoying it. Okay, so the main bad guy is pretty over the top, but I'm happy to roll with that. If nothing else, my belief that I should never live in a small town in Maine has been nicely reinforced so far.

FnordChan

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
6c70783f60bb53292dbb0dc7ccd31341.jpg

Neil Gaiman + Frank Quitely (despite being the shortest of the stories) is instant win for me.

At the same time,
blankets.jpg

Which is pretty crazy for the amount of condensed emotions. Goddamn...

Alucard

Banned
Yay for Blankets! I finished it last month and absolutely loved it!

As for me, here is my latest review...

girlinaredrivercoat.jpg

Girl in a Red River Coat by Mary Peate (this cover is terrible. The one I have is actually the picture in the bottom lefthand corner of this cover. It's on my blog too.)

The Review:
For any work of art to have mass appeal, it needs to present itself in a way that is relatable to its audience. In the realm of fiction, many stories rely on a main character who the audience can sympathize with and one who acts as the eyes and ears of the reader. Mary Peate's Girl in a Red River Coat places Peate herself at the centre of the story, and it is through her mind that we come to understand her life and the lives of those around her. Thankfully, Peate's views are never dull and her reflections in the novel show great insight, while transporting the reader to a very tangible time and place.

This book takes place in 1930s Montreal, Quebec, in the midst of the Great Depression. Small touches like references to the price of bread and other items really help bring the somber reality of the era to the forefront. While it focuses on Peate and her everyday activities, such as sitting on the porch talking with friends from school and her neighbours, it is the bigger picture that forms around these experiences that gives the book meaning and power. The name of the book itself is not explicitly explained, and Peate's red river coat is only mentioned in a few paragraphs, but the symbolism of Peate as 1930s everygirl is quietly obvious. The book may focus on Peate, but it is about the collective experience of people, particularly children, growing up during this difficult era.

The book's enjoyment is largely a result of its complete lack of pretense. The chronicled experiences, such as riding the street car, going to the store, being insulated in a Catholic community, and learning about the opposite sex, are told with very matter-of-fact prose. They simply state things as they were, which gives the book a very innocent and honest quality. While there are certainly little quips and jabs at certain aspects of community and family life, most passages are incredibly straight forward and deadpan. For example:

"On Holy Thursday, which was a school holiday, we were encouraged to visit seven churches in order to gain a plenary indulgence, which meant that all the sins would be wiped from your soul and you could start from scratch. You were supposed to walk from church to church, not ride, and you weren't supposed to speak as you walked, or, we were told, the plenary indulgence wouldn't go into effect."

This type of simplicity permeates Peate's prose, and its subtlety shows a very neutral retelling of this part of the author's life. What is wonderful about this style of writing is that it does not go out of its way to beat you over the head with a particular message or to make you feel horrible for the people during the Great Depression. Instead, it gives a very level-headed account, with enough heartfelt perspective and a certain level of naivite that force admiration from the reader.

I should mention that the main story tracks Peate's quietly vindictive relationship with a sick aunt who has moved in to live with her family and sleep in her bed, which grounds the narrative in something the audience can relate with. Peate goes back to this struggle periodically in the book, and resolves it with as much grace as she does the rest of the story. Despite only being 130 pages, this record of 1930s life in Montreal is packed with social commentary, real life drama, and it offers an engaging snapshot of a girl's seemingly simple life.

The Verdict:
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys autobiographical fiction, history, or books in general. It may be a thin and quick read, but its mental pictures, reflections, and emotions have staying power. I can imagine it being particularly enjoyable for people who went through this era, but it is highly recommended for young readers as well. There are enough social issues, namely related to religion and the Quebec language issue, for it to be relevant to a wide audience.

4/5

I also finished Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie and will likely write a review of it tomorrow. (It was alright. Didn't love it.) Currently, I am reading Fallen by David Maine, which is an interesting retelling of the Biblical story of Cain and Abel, and the family dynamics between them and Adam and Eve.

For more, check out my shameless blog: http://backlogbooksblog.blogspot.com/

PiHKAL by Alexander Shulgin.

I'm usually not much of a reader, but I've spent the last few hours reading this and I love it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The Spiderwick Chronicles book 1-5. Needed a quick fix of easy to read fantasy, and picked up the anthology pocket for cheap.

Ater that, I'll go for Sophie's World.

And then I'll work my way through those final two Twilight books just to get it over and be done with it. Especially looking forward to the utter madness of the fourth book.

And by then I'll probably have another pile of books to read :lol

slider

The Myth Of Nations by Patrick Geary. Fascinating. I've read a previous book of his about the Black Death (can't recall the name right now) and, whilst he might court a teeny bit of controversy (not by choice I'm sure), his work hold water in my layman's opinion.

2uerwg9.gif

Recently finished
brave-new-world.jpg

which was brilliant.

Quite a bit of flying and traveling over the next week, so I'll have plenty of time to dive into:
karamazov.jpg

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Mainly this:
10znztf.jpg

But I'm also gonna read The Road, finally. Also gonna read that new Splinter Cell book by David Michaels, even though he sucks and every other book in that series sucks. Oh well.

Also have this on the shelf and will hopefully get to it this month:
vy1fev.jpg

slider

Peronthious, I was reading The Doors of Perception over the last couple of days as I was away from home (for New Year). I think Brave New World is great but, boy, DoP is a different kettle of fish. More in keeping with the man and his cohorts I think.

Alucard

Banned
Finished reviewing Peter Pan.

9781402754265.jpg

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

The Review:
Most North Americans and Europeans are likely familiar with the story of the boy who would not grow up. Whether it is through this book, or the popular children's film, the story is simple and universal. Essentially, Peter Pan is about the desire to remain a child forever, and to stay in the emotions and ignorance of youth. It follows the life of the Darling children, particularly Wendy, as they are swept off to a magical land of fantasy and adventure, where they slowly forget their past lives and parents. The children desire to remain in Neverland forever, and never want to grow old. It is something most of us can relate to, and the book captures the energy and innocence of childhood.

First of all, the way Barrie tells the story like a paternal figure sitting by the reader's bedside is appropriate for the subject matter. He constantly gives hints of future events, or plays with the narrative by writing about the various avenues the story could take, or what he can talk about, and this creates a sense of distance, while showing off his storytelling ability. He makes the reader an active part of the adventure. If anything, he knows his audience and how to speak to them.

The adventure housed within the pages also moves at a linear and brisk pace. Barrie goes from place to place, and keeps the reader interested, largely as a result of his storytelling style. It must be said that this book truly is more for children than adults with its handholding style, aside from an allusion to a fairie orgy and Tinkerbell's sexual frustration, that are not enough to take the book out of the realm of children's fiction. Barrie's handling of Peter Pan as a short-sighted and immature boy is also interesting, as I was sometimes not sure whether to like him or loathe him for his arrogance and thoughtless ignorance. Consequently, the themes explored are more than relevant to all age groups, and the ending in particular resonated with me as an adult.

Still, the reasons I like the book and why I think many young adults would enjoy it, are also the reasons I do not love it. Maybe I am not looking into the book deeply enough, but it is a pretty basic tale of the growing pains associated with coming of age, and realizing that you are no longer a child. As Barrie says, "two is the beginning of the end." I admire his ability to encapsulate the vibrant energy of childhood, but feel there is a lack of complexity in the analysis, aside from the ending and his handling of Peter. It may sound like I am complaining about a children's book being a children's book, and I do feel the ending is excellent and the exploration of mothers interesting, but I can not help but feel slightly underwhelmed by the events. It may because I knew the story going in, and felt more like I was playing out something that was already familiar and not needing further discussion.

The above points aside, this is an enjoyable romp through a fantasy land, and when you consider it was novelized in 1911, it is even more impressive. However, I must grade the book on how it stands up today, and not how it would have stood in its time of publication. With that in mind, I enjoyed the book for what it is, but it is a story that does not need to be told more than once. I suppose I may just be a bitter adult in saying that, but so be it.

The Verdict:
There are better fantasy adventures out there, but if you simply must read the classics or are interested in coming of age stories and the transition from childhood to adulthood, this is a solid bet. Again, I can only grade my own experience with the book, which was a little above mildly enjoyable. I am sure there are others who adore it, and you are free to take their word for it as well.

3.5/5

Next Up:

Fallen by David Maine.

mjc

lastargumentofkings2.jpg

While it's somewhat of a monster of a book, I'm moving pretty quickly through it. The whole trilogy has been pretty entertaining and it has some shades of ASoIaF.

Jarlaxle

Falch said:
cover_Sound_and_Fury_by_Faulkner.jpg

Trouble reading it. I'm currently on the second chapter, narrated by Quentin.

I found that to be a difficult read as well but Faulkner really does a great job with going in depth with his characterization in this book. I found the book got easier as it went along. The first two parts were probably the toughest.

Alucard

Banned
I have been powering through these things lately.

fallenmaine.jpg

Fallen by David Maine (wish I had this cover)

The Review:
In Fallen, David Maine uses his imagination to expand upon the Biblical stories of Adam and Eve, and their first sons, Cain and Abel. And he does it backwards. The result is an alluring take on the world's first family; one that offers plenty of real world situations and gives flesh and bone to these familiar mythical figures. Maine creates a story that largely deals with survival, faith, mortal passions, and the quintessential questions of human origins and the role of the supernatural.

Fallen begins at the end of Cain's life. As an embittered old man, he lies alone in a cave, simply waiting to die. From this point of origin, David Maine works backwards, illuminating how things got to their present state. The book is divided into four separate parts titled The Murder, The Brother, The Family, and The Fall. Each section is itself split into ten parts, with chapter titles being repeated throughout, but always having different meanings depending on the part of the story currently being focused on. The book starts from chapter forty, and works its way down to one. This structure lends the book a commendable symmetry, as Maine deserves praise for taking the time to craft the book in such a careful and effective way.

To begin, the original stories that Maine is working from only cover a couple of pages of the entire Bible. With this type of source material, Maine's challenge was to stretch out a very well-known and brief story into a fully realized novel. I believe he has succeeded by providing a book that feels familiar, while being altogether underivative. He infuses each of the four main players with distinct personalities and characters. He manages to make Cain more than slightly sympathetic, while painting Abel as a bit of a simpleton. With Adam and Eve, he paints a less than ideal portrait of a union that is fraught with as much vitriol and animalistic urges, as it is with faith and love. These are real people with their own beliefs, motivations, and questions.

It is the questions that really give the book an extra edge, as they all stem from God's design. Cain is the rationalist who is obsessed with his parents' origins, and wonders why God would put any evil and temptation in Paradise to begin with. He asks free thinking questions about why his parents bother to continue to pay tribute to an allegedly fair God, when His actions have been nothing short of petty and irrational. Oddly enough, Adam and Eve are not altogether unaware of their specious devotion either. This kind of humanity and open questioning of God's motives propels the narrative, and is generally the reason why everything happens. Adam simply does as he is told, because that is all he has ever known, though he has frequent outbursts. Abel is content with his naivete. It is Eve and Cain who provide balance to this line of thinking by asking questions and suggesting alternate ways of living.

At its heart, the book is very literal and human. It is even brutal, in the way it describes the killing of animals, childbirth, Adam and Eve's lust for one another, and even Cain catching his parents in the act. That final scene in particular is startling in its perversity and honesty, and it is emblematic of Maine's tooth and claw approach to the story. While he stays faithful to the main events of the Bible, his expansions are often striking and entirely believable.

The only problems I had with the book were largely synthetic. There are quite a few idioms that get thrown around, and some of the word choice seems out of place for this time period. I also wondered whether mentions of winter and snow were appropriate, especially if the Garden was indeed around the Mesopotamian and North African regions. I realize this is a fictitious time and place, but the historian side of me felt a little odd during these sections. All in all, though, these are minor quibbles against what is otherwise a very captivating interpretation of one of the West's most well-trodden stories.

The Verdict:
Fallen is a book that is enjoyable for the religious and non-religious alike. Its story is so ingrained in Western culture, that non-Jews and non-Christians will be able to enjoy it on its own merits. The faithful would also do well to look into this book, as it makes many poignant challenges towards God in an honest and respectful way. Its questions about God, and its depiction of Adam, Eve, Cain, and Abel as a truly messed up family that is trying to find out its purpose is something anyone can appreciate. It is a story of survival in the wilderness, and all that entails.

4/5

Next Up:

Sunlight and Shadow by Cameron Dokey.

More at my blog: http://backlogbooksblog.blogspot.com/

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
bkcover-hp.jpg

fantastic, one of the best books i've ever read and i'm dying to finish it.
So much more than just a travel down the history of hip hop culture. So well written and researched. Even someone who hates hip hop would be fascinated.

Falch said:
garbage

Trouble reading it. I'm currently on the second chapter, narrated by Quentin.

One of the worst books i've ever been forced to read. Just...awful.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Currently:

2dhii6w.jpg

Fook, this is a long book! But enjoyable. Picked it up upon someone's recommendation in a previous gaf thread, so thanks to those who put it forward.

I hear there is a sequel? And an upcoming TV series? I'm actually looking forward to that now, seeing how it'll be treated. Rufus Sewell is going to be in it, whom I love <3

Cdammen

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

norwegian.jpg

It's a weird book. I dunno if I like it. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle was good because it had a lot of supernatural/fantasy elements but this one is just plain weird. The things that the characters say (really fucked up shit or ambivalent and confusing), the way they act, how the story progresses... it's all just so Japanese (duh, I know).

But I like his style of writing and the translation from Japanese to Swedish, by Eiko & Yukiko Duke, is really nice.

FnordChan said:
under_the_dome.jpg

I'm about halfway through Stephen King's Under The Dome and thoroughly enjoying it. Okay, so the main bad guy is pretty over the top, but I'm happy to roll with that. If nothing else, my belief that I should never live in a small town in Maine has been nicely reinforced so far.

FnordChan

Same here. I just got past
The Grocery Store Riot

I agree with you about Big Jim Renne but King hasn't made me genuinely angry at one of his characters in a long time LOL

Yasser

n146001.jpg

just finished this, absolutely fantastic and i'm upset i can't find any of the author's other work in english
going to start
apathy-and-other-small-victories.jpg

Has anyone read The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter Hamilton? I noticed it while browsing at Borders yesterday and decided to buy it on my Kindle. The whole trilogy is $7.99.

This looks loooooong. There are about 71,000 "locations" in the Kindle version, versus about 18,000 locations in A Clash of Kings, for instance. So yeah it will take a while. After reading it for several hours today, Kindle tells me I'm 3% done! But it's starting off really good.

I don't know how I've never heard of it.

Ceebs

Just re-read these two over 2 days for like the 10th time. I can't wait for the his new one later this year.

41cNBbQSE7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51vcjFGTrIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Currently reading this one. Not that far yet but seems like it may have some promise.

5166tI7zzbL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This exact copy of Stephen King's IT.

jq5dg5.jpg

It's the one I bought in like 1989. Not only is it one of my favorite books, but from a strict design/color/everything perspective, it is probably my definition of the perfect book cover. Better than the hardcover version because I prefer the author typeface on this one.

I picked it up from storage over the holiday break and it's just pretty fantastic to have it around again. It's like perfectly worn but not falling apart. It's totally awesome.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
a-game-of-thrones_hd1.jpg

Just started. I'm in for a heck of a ride, aren't I?

Honestly the first ~100 pages haven't grabbed me. VERY hard to keep track of who is who, where things are taking place, etc. I am constantly re-reading, and flipping back to previous chapters to remind me who is so-and-so's nephew, dead brother, sister, etc.

I'm a patient reader, though. And it's obviously not been all bad.

Top Bottom