• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2010)

movie_club

Just finished:

scott_pilgrim_finest_hour-550x818.jpg

Decent ending, felt fushed.
and

OneFlewOverTheCuckoosNest.jpg

Was amazing, and after jumping right into the movie after I really was not a fan of all the things the movie dropped. Anyway, a must read if you have not already!

I am going to try and bang out Candide quickly, looks short enough. Is it a quick read.

After I would like to read foundation and something by hemingway- any suggestions?

Wellington said:
How is this? Been meaning to give it a go, but a lot of reviews have said it's very challenging. I'm a math/science guy and even I'm nervous about it.
I actually haven't read the entire book, but I've read most of it in parts, and I didn't find it challenging at all. I don't think you'll have any problems with it.

AnkitT

Wellington said:
How is this? Been meaning to give it a go, but a lot of reviews have said it's very challenging. I'm a math/science guy and even I'm nervous about it.
It isnt very challenging at all. I loved it, very simply explained concepts.

Half way through:
anansi_boys_book.jpg

Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman

I like it so far, love his writing style.

Timber

movie_club said:
I am going to try and bang out Candide quickly, looks short enough. Is it a quick read.
It is. Very funny and incredibly fast-paced.

As for Hemingway, his short stories are a good point of departure. Men Without Women and The Snows of Kilimanjaro are great collections.

StylusX

Currently reading: The Secret Speech. Really enjoyed Child 44, so i jumped straight to the next book. About 100 pages in pretty decent so far.

Just bought a couple of books:

51v0byy2OhL._SS500_.jpg

And

51PAQCH4ZRL._SS500_.jpg

Not sure which i'll read first.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Ugh, haven’t read a page in the last couple days so still have another day or so to go on Kitchen Confidential. As much as I’m enjoying it I can’t way to get through it so I can start The Long Ships which arrived yesterday. It just sounds like such a cool book. I'm considering getting The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay for afterwards.

eznark

Banned
Finished Game of Thrones. I really, really enjoyed the last third but it proved everything I had complained about earlier. The e-book version was almost 800 pages long, and the first 600 pages could have been half of that and not lost a single bit of impact.

That said, it definitely drove me into the second book (already 100 pages in) and has kept me mostly interested.

One thing I am finding incredibly annoying is that Martin still fancies himself some sort of master mystery writer. Sorry, broham, but it's painfully obvious who killed Lord Aryn...stop acting like it's some great mystery.

Salazar

idw1oj.jpg

"Recently reprinted by New York Review Books, G.B. Edwards' novel tells the story of a Guernsey man who lived through the Nazi occupation of Britain's Channel Islands into garrulous old age. His reminiscence is couched in a musical Guernsey English that follows circular paths through past and present to delve into island secrets and sagas. Great stuff." --Seattle Times

"There is a rare wholeness about The Book of Ebenezer Le Page. You get the entire man, in a way that isn't usually within the gift of literature to procure... I have read few books of such wide and delightful appeal.... [it] is vast fun and vast life, a Kulturgeschichte..." -Michael Hofmann, London Review of Books

"...a near-forgotten classic of post-colonial fiction...yet it comes, not from some far tropical shore, but from an old man writing in the 1970s about his native Guernsey .... All honour to the New York Review imprint for restoring him to his obstreperous glory." -The Independent (UK)

“A masterpiece… one of the best novels of our time…I know of no description of happiness in modern literature equal to the one that ends this novel.” —The New York Times (Guy Davenport)

“Quaint. Fascinating. Unique. Queer…The Book of Ebenezer Le Page is a eulogy for a way of life.” —The Los Angeles Times (Valerie Miner)

“It reads like Beethoven’s Ninth…Coated with sea salt, its crannies spilling wildflowers, Edwards’s book still roars like some huge shell held, cutting, against your ear.” —The Atlantic

“An extraordinary book!…Splendid! To read it is not like reading but living.” —William Golding

“Imagine a weekend spent in deep conversation with a superb old man, a crusty, intelligent, passionate and individualistic character at the peak of his powers as a raconteur, and you will have a very good idea of the impact of The Book of Ebenezer Le Page…It amuses, it entertains, it moves us… Ebenezer’s voice presides over all and its creation is a tremendous achievement.” —The Washington Post (Doug Lang)

“[A] rare find…it is unique–a first novel that resists all categories–and it overflows with the sense of life…It’s chief virtues are a story rich in human connection and a marvelously seductive language…For those who cherish style, it is also good to hear a fresh novelist’s voice telling the old story of the passions, generosities, and greeds that battle in us all.” —Chicago Tribune (Lynne Sharon Schwartz)

“G.B. Edwards, who died an unknown in 1976, constructed his novel out of the patterns of daily life–countless teas, lovers’ quarrels, accounts of friendships and the signs of change as Guernsey reluctantly assumes the characteristics of progress. The results are enchanting.” —The Washington Post (New In Paperbacks)

“A remarkable achievement!…The book’s voice and its methods are so unusual that it belongs nowhere on our conventional literary maps.” —John Fowles

“[A] knowing and beguiling chronicle of life on the English Channel isle of Guernsey…This deceptively plain-spoken story of a man’s years passing in review before him struck me, when I first read it in 1981, as a beautifully crafted job of writing. Upon rereading it recently, I redoubled my liking and admiration for both Ebenezer and Edwards.” —Ivan Doig, Christian Science Monitor

“The Book of Ebenezer Le Page, by G. B. Edwards, is an inexhaustible book I never tire of giving. It is literally one of a kind, a work with no precedent, sponsorship, or pedigree. A true epic, as sexy as it is hilarious, it seems drenched with the harsh tidal beauties of its setting, the isle of Guernsey…For every person nearing retirement, every latent writer who hopes to leave his island and find the literary mainland, its author–quiet, self-sufficient, tidy Homeric–remains a patron saint.” —Allan Gurganus, O Magazine

“The Book of Ebenezer Le Page, by G. B. Edwards, is an oddity and a great literary wonder, written in the beautiful French patios of Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands…[Edwards] feels intensely about everything and everyone in this deliciously rich novel of longing and love.” —Archipelago

“Here is an islander; an island man, solitary, unmarried, alienated, who describes the modern denaturing of our world. Granite quarries and tomatoes and early potatoes; but then come tourists, international companies, tax evaders, occupation by Germans, etcetera.” —The New York Review of Books

“Books: Forced to choose, we'd pick The Book of Ebenezer Le Page by G. B. Edwards as our favorite novel of all time. The recollections of a cranky old man on the island of Guernsey, Guy Davenport of the Times wrote, when the book was first published here in 1981: ‘A masterpiece...One of the best novels of our time...I know of no description of happiness in modern literature equal to the one that ends this novel.’ Hard for us to imagine a more pleasurable weekend than one spent with Ebenezer Le Page.”–Manhattan User’s Guide

Too good to pass up. Can't wait for it to arrive.

000f4f98_medium.gif

Read this for the first time about 6 or 8 years ago.

WAY better this time around.

Not that I didn't like it the first time, but the back of the book says something to the effect of "The best and most important book on Nietzsche in English," and at the time I found that laughable.

Now I think I just might agree.

Cheers.

Just finished Sagan-Contact... Holy cow!!! I watched the movie many moons ago, but I simply (much like all his work) fell in love with this book and couldn't bring myself to put it down.

Vard

BobsRevenge said:
Therese_raquin.jpg

Any other Zola fans here? It seems like every other book I read is written by him. Germinal is the best book I've ever read.
Read this in December and loved it. I haven't read any other of his works but I plan on reading The Beast Within later this year.

If you're enjoying Raquin I recommend that you check out the Korean film called Thirst, which is influenced by the book.

Right now I'm reading McCarthy's The Road and am enjoying it. It's hard to put it down.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don't read books. At all. Over the last umm.. forever years the only books I have ever read are:

Harry Potter series
Zahn's Thrawn Star Wars Trilogy
The Hobbit
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
thousands of comics and graphic novels

Not that I don't like reading.. To be honest I was never sure what it was. Well, I may be one step closer to finally figuring it out.

I've picked up two books on my iphone. I finished one and am about 1/4 of the way through the next after only a day with not a whole lot of time to read. Having the ebooks on my iphone has really made reading more interesting to me for one reason. I always have the books on me. I seriously can not be bothered to carry a book around with me. I already have so much junk to carry around that I will forget it, and when I don't have that junk to carry I don't want ANYTHING aside from the few things in my pockets (my phone being one of those). With the books on my phone, when I've had 10 minutes to spare here or 30 minutes to kill there I just break out my phone and start reading.

And even reading in bed has become more enjoyable with a 3.5" screen compared to a paperback, or worse, a hardcover. I do love the aesthetics and texture of a real book, but reading in bed means putting the book on it's side for one page, holding it up for the next, or leaning up while laying there to read both. With my phone it means the same orientation for the entire book.

I'm not going to say I am going to be this totally avid reader now.. BUT, I will say I've read more over the past week than I've read probably over the last 5 years. I am interested in a real ereader, most leaning towards the Kindle...... but..... that really only addresses the comfort aspect of my not having read over the years.. unfortunately then we are back to the problem of still having to carry around an extra something to get the reading done. So for the time being I still plan on sticking with my phone as my primary reader of convenience. I instead might just go with a Kindle as my reader of comfort at home or on vacation or something (like flights, etc). We'll see. Big score for ebooks though. However I do have to admit I was at the bookstore the other day and did sort of wish I had paper versions of these books only because well.. you know.. It's what we've been primarily reading for hundreds of years now.

Anyway

shit-my-dad-says.jpg

51v0byy2OhL._SS500_.jpg

Shit my dad says was on Apple iBooks, Dragon Tattoo is on Kindle app. So far Apple's reader wins hands down due to brightness controls, built in dictionary, more font choices and sizes, and more intuitive notes, bookmarking, and search.

However, Kindle wins overall because they have a shitload more books, including Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which was unavailable on Apple. :\

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So I really liked Bourdain’s Kitchen Confidential. Are there any other good books like this out there? Sort of autobiographical accounts of someone’s rise from nothing to success/fame, with a sprinkling of drugs, sex and debauchery along the way, giving a sort of inside look at a profession you may not have thought would be as interesting as it is?

Dresden

Finished Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro. I really need to finish his other novels--I even have The Unconsoled sitting on my shelf--but other books (and games) demand my attention!

Picked up:

Kraken+USA.jpg

Empty

Dresden said:
Finished Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro. I really need to finish his other novels--I even have The Unconsoled sitting on my shelf--but other books (and games) demand my attention!

Picked up:

never let me go is wonderful, but you simply must read 'remains of the day' which, in my humble opinion, is his masterpiece.

Stealth

Finished The Big Short, which I am now recommending to everyone I know. The quirks of his cast alone are worth the read. I'll probably read Moneyball or Liar's Poker later this year.

Now starting Tana French's Faithful Place, and then onto A Clash of Kings. August is gonna be fun :D

french.jpg

Salazar

Maklershed said:
@Salazar - is it just a coincidence that you're reading another NYRB or do you just like their printing style?

a) Seems like a good book.
b) I want to support a decent publishing venture.
c) Beautiful editions.

thomaser

Just ordered two "big" books that I can't wait to read, based on recommendations from previous What Are You Reading-threads. But they'll have to wait a long time until the backlog is less intimidating: "Lanark" by Alasdair Gray and "Rising Up and Rising Down" by William T. Vollmann.

Anyway, still reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Around a third in, and doing around a hundred pages a week. Enjoying it very much! Anyone else reading it here? It's an Infinite Summer after all...

There's one thing that's bugging me, though. D.F.W. keeps starting sentences with the words "but" and "so" in strange ways. I'm not a native English speaker, so I'm not exactly sure how to understand them. Here are a few examples from the book:

"And but so the point is..."
"And but as of that moment..."
"So then but let A stand for..."
"So then but so let f be a continuous non-negative function..."
"But so but then in immediate unison..."
"Yes and then but suddenly everything changes..."
"So but the reason I'm really calling..."

And (but) so on and so forth.

What's with these buts and sos? "So then but so"? "But so but then"? There are MANY instances of these, and they confuse me greatly.

Jebus

I finished the Dark Tower series a few weeks ago which was amaaaazing. Loved it. It was the Neogaf 'What you readin bout Willis?' thread that reminded me to attempt that huge series.

Just started A Clockwork Orange thinking it would be a nice quick read (never seen the film)....but I've found that I have to read every line twice to understand what the hell is going on. I'm starting to pick things up a little quicker though...

book-covers-48.jpg

I never used to read novels when I was younger so I have a massive backlog of amazing books to read now.... Although the flip side is that it takes me a looong time to get through them. It took me almost 2 years to get through The Dark Tower.

thomaser said:
Anyway, still reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Around a third in, and doing around a hundred pages a week. Enjoying it very much! Anyone else reading it here? It's an Infinite Summer after all...

There's one thing that's bugging me, though. D.F.W. keeps starting sentences with the words "but" and "so" in strange ways. I'm not a native English speaker, so I'm not exactly sure how to understand them. Here are a few examples from the book:

"And but so the point is..."
"And but as of that moment..."
"So then but let A stand for..."
"So then but so let f be a continuous non-negative function..."
"But so but then in immediate unison..."
"Yes and then but suddenly everything changes..."
"So but the reason I'm really calling..."

And (but) so on and so forth.

What's with these buts and sos? "So then but so"? "But so but then"? There are MANY instances of these, and they confuse me greatly.

Such an amazing book. I started it through Infinite Summer last year, and read it two more times since then. Gets better each time.

Anyway, his writing style can be a nightmare for non-native speakers (and native ones), so props for managing a good pace nonetheless. He can get really colloquial, and all those "but"s and "so"s are usually just part of that. In the sentences you're quoting, they don't really affect the meaning in a significant way, so don't read too much into them. Kind of like random filler words people use when they talk.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Vard said:
Read this in December and loved it. I haven't read any other of his works but I plan on reading The Beast Within later this year.

If you're enjoying Raquin I recommend that you check out the Korean film called Thirst, which is influenced by the book.

Right now I'm reading McCarthy's The Road and am enjoying it. It's hard to put it down.
I read The Road in three sittings. I've never done anything like that before or since.

deadbeef

I'm currently reading The Shadow Factory: The Ultra-Secret NSA from 9/11 to the Eavesdropping on America, by James Bamford. I am really enjoying it so far. At the beginning Bamford frames the book by giving you a peek at where the NSA is right now: drowning in data. Then he jumps back all the way to 1998/1999 as the 9/11 plot was just hatching and the first of the hijackers were making their way into the United States. From there he traces their steps up until 9/11 all the while following the missteps made by various individuals and sub-agencies inside the NSA, CIA, and FBI.

There's of course some question as to how accurate everything is, due to the secrecy and sensitivity of the NSA's mission, but it is really interesting stuff.

carpal

BobsRevenge said:
I read The Road in three sittings. I've never done anything like that before or since.

I got that beat! I picked up The Road one night while in bed because my girlfriend was reading the magazine I wanted and proceeded read the entire thing in one shot. What should have been a 20 minute distraction to help me nod off to sleep turned into a five hour roller coaster ride that ended at sunrise.

I've definitely never done anything like that before or since.

Right now I'm in between the first and second Song of Ice and Fire books. Thought it would be a good idea to start Hyperion to break things up a bit but I find myself longing for the characters and the world I got attached to over the last 800 pages of A Game of Thrones.

Kalbi said:
how can you not want to get straight into the next dune books ? messiah and sandworms!!

I stopped after the first Dune book as well. As much as I loved every page, I also thought it was so nicely self contained. I worry about getting sucked in and dragged along a series that doesn't really live up to the first installment (something I'm apparently about to do with Mr. Martin).

Aulatori

Went looking through my wish list earlier and noticed The Long Ships is listed for Kindle (December 1, 2010) now.

To wrap up the month I'm going with Altered Carbon.

Max

I am not Max
Just finished reading Halo The Fall of Reach to coincide with the RTTP Halo thread, enjoyed the story and it was a decent scifi book overall.

I'm probably going to read The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester next. One of the books I found in my local used book shop. I also have a list of a bunch of scifi books I'm meaning to read but only 3 of the 30 are actually in my library which is pretty lame. If anyone's interested I pasted the list here I'd appreciate if anyone could recommend which should have top priority for me to buy

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Max said:
Just finished reading Halo The Fall of Reach to coincide with the RTTP Halo thread, enjoyed the story and it was a decent scifi book overall.

I'm probably going to read The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester next. One of the books I found in my local used book shop. I also have a list of a bunch of scifi books I'm meaning to read but only 3 of the 30 are actually in my library which is pretty lame. If anyone's interested I pasted the list here I'd appreciate if anyone could recommend which should have top priority for me to buy

Crikey, that's a lot of PKD, you're about to do what I did a few years back by the looks of it. You've got a lot of good stuff on there but also a few run of the mill books too. For classic PKD I suggest these (in no particular order)

Valis (the rosetta stone of PKD books. It's more like an autobiography but it is simply stunning)
A Scanner Darkly
The man in the High Castle (this was the first of his I read and it's very accessible)
Flow my tears the policeman said

IMO these are his very best, the works that step outside of the 'sci-fi written on speed' conventions that he usually follows. That said, some of my favourite of his books are the inconsequential SF books that he just threw out like Time out of Joint (the Matrix before computers), Martian Time Slip and Ubik.

Go for it though man, enjoy!

EDIT: I think the Halo books get even better after FoR too, First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx are great reads and really flesh out the rest of the Spartan team. Contact Harvest is also a great read, I just finished that recently. Not as exciting as the Nylund novels but it has a lot to recommend it still.

Salazar

Aulatori said:
Went looking through my wish list earlier and noticed The Long Ships is listed for Kindle (December 1, 2010) now.

GOOD WORK.

I'm reading Adam Sisman's biography of Hugh Trevor-Roper. It's glorious. He was a wonderfully vile man.

Max

I am not Max
Jedeye Sniv said:
Crikey, that's a lot of PKD, you're about to do what I did a few years back by the looks of it. You've got a lot of good stuff on there but also a few run of the mill books too. For classic PKD I suggest these (in no particular order)

Valis (the rosetta stone of PKD books. It's more like an autobiography but it is simply stunning)
A Scanner Darkly
The man in the High Castle (this was the first of his I read and it's very accessible)
Flow my tears the policeman said

IMO these are his very best, the works that step outside of the 'sci-fi written on speed' conventions that he usually follows. That said, some of my favourite of his books are the inconsequential SF books that he just threw out like Time out of Joint (the Matrix before computers), Martian Time Slip and Ubik.

Go for it though man, enjoy!

EDIT: I think the Halo books get even better after FoR too, First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx are great reads and really flesh out the rest of the Spartan team. Contact Harvest is also a great read, I just finished that recently. Not as exciting as the Nylund novels but it has a lot to recommend it still.
Thanks now I have an idea of what I might buy first. I read Do Androids Dream a month or so ago and really enjoyed it so i'm looking forward to reading more of his books. Been thinking about the $90 collection but I can't decide if I'd rather just have them individually :lol

I also own First Strike and can find Ghosts of Onyx in the library, so I plan on reading those in the near future.

jakncoke

Banned
slowly working my way through Do no Harm by Gregg Hormitz... im liking it really slowly reading it. pg 19 after 1 week :lol

eznark

Banned
Pikelet said:
No, it's definitely not obvious.

edit: decided to spoiler
Really? I am halfway through Clash of Kings and the killer confessed. While there was an interloper I wasn't fully expecting everything else was pretty clear.

Clash of Kings is far better than the first, I just haven't had much time to read this week.

Maklershed said:
Has anyone else read American Gods? I'm 35% through it and I'm really struggling. Does it get better as it progresses?

It's been a good while since I read it, but the last quarter or so was the best of the book if I remember rightly - American Gods is often touted as Gaiman's best work, but I personally think it's overrated, doesn't live up to it's premise (which puts me in mind of a Harlan Ellison short story I read not long ago) and is not nearly as good as Neverwhere or Good Omens.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Maklershed said:
Has anyone else read American Gods? I'm 35% through it and I'm really struggling. Does it get better as it progresses?

First half is seriously boring as fuck. Second half picks up and gets better. Still, it's a very overrated book, probably the most boring of what I've read of Gaiman's stuff. The 'sequel', Monarch of the Glen, was actually much better IMO. Read Good Omens instead, much funnier. Or Sandman or Stardust or Coraline or.. yeah, you get the point.

Well I finally gave up on American Gods as its shaping up to be the worst book I've ever read. I've moved on to Lucifer's Hammer.

51A1b0iz%2BjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Salazar

The Essential Avengers, gloriously written by Stan Lee and gallantly illustrated with deep sincerity by Jack Kirby. Mostly.

The Lava Men are fucking rad.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Maklershed said:
Well I finally gave up on American Gods as its shaping up to be the worst book I've ever read.

:lol

I don't think it's a terrible book by any means, but yeah, it is definitely a very boring (and overrated) book. I have no idea why it's constantly being touted as the best thing Gaiman's ever written.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
One of the best books I've ever read in my life:

0811208478.jpg

Mifune

Mehmber
After the completely glorious Cloud Atlas, I have returned to an old friend.

386197.jpg

Only about 100 pages in, very little has actually happened, and it's still totally gripping.

Le Carre has a way of easing you into his story, painting the outer frame, doling out plot nuggets in the most leisurely way possible, and then sticking the knife between your shoulder blades when you get comfortable. He's meticulous, patient, and very very good.

If this were my first Le Carre I'd be wanting him to get on with it, but as a veteran I know this is how he works. He ratchets the tension little by little, so subtly that you don't even notice it, and builds to a climax of shocking power. Every damned time.

I haven't read anything of his post-Tailor of Panama but to me he is and forever will be the master.

I am reading the Left Behind series.

My housemate works in a 2nd hand bookshop and one day i mentioned to her i'd be interested in reading them, and a few days later she came back with books 1-5, which i've now read.

Regardless of whether or not your a "believer" (i'm not) it's really quite awfully written and yet oddly compelling at the same time. there's a touch of 'The Omen' to it all which i do kind of enjoy, like watching a car crash in super-slow motion, especially slow as there's another 9 books to go :/ good thing it's about a 4th grade reading level in large, well-spaced type so each book can be read in an evening.

was not raised religiously at all myself, but i've got a friend who was raised unitarian and we used to discuss a lot of the odd parts of the bible, revelations, apocrypha etc, so i came to it with a fair idea of what was going to be going down. Up to the plague of locust demon's chanting "apollyon" which is funny 'cause the demons are only 5" long, so in my mind they have chipmunk voices :lol

Salazar

Mifune said:
I haven't read anything of his post-Tailor of Panama but to me he is and forever will be the master.

I have to recommend this. Graham Greene's Our Man in Havana and The Human Factor go without saying, but this is very, very good.

2lutly9.jpg

A brilliant, engaging, and highly literate espionage-cum-existential novel, John Banville's The Untouchable concerns the suddenly-exposed double agent Victor Maskell, a character based on the real Cambridge intellectual elites who famously spied on the United Kingdom in the middle of the 20th century. But Maskell--scholar, adventurer, soldier, art curator, and more--respected and still living in England well past his retirement from espionage, looked like he was going to get away with it when suddenly, in his 70s and sick with cancer, he is unmasked. The question of why, and by whom is not as important for Maskell as the larger question of who finally he himself really is, why he spied in the first place, and whether his many-faceted existence adds up to an authentic life.

Top Bottom