• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2010)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Currently reading these:

Nattefokk_productimage.jpg

Swedish crime novel. Surprisingly good.

brisingr.jpg

Seems to be slightly less of a Star Wars/LotR rehash compared to the first two books. Still nothing really amazing though.

184520767X.jpg

Dry as fuck, but still sort of interesting.

And I'm waiting for Amazon to ship my order of all five GloomCookie TPBs. Also waiting for some other books to arrive in the mail. Fuck yeah, books.

eznark said:
This might be my most disliked work of fiction ever.

Really? I love that book. I've probably read it four or five times by now.

eznark

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
Really? I love that book. I've probably read it four or five times by now.

I read it years ago and I can't really remember why except that I thought every single character in the book was an atrocious human being not worth my time.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
eznark said:
I read it years ago and I can't really remember why except that I thought every single character in the book was an atrocious human being not worth my time.

:lol Some of them are quite horrible people (specifically because they
kill one of their friends to cover up an earlier murder they committed
). I read that other book by Tartt, The Little Friend, and it was a fairly boring book.

faridmon

Stephen King - Dolores Claiborne

My first SK novel, does it actully get better, I am around the first 50 pages or so, but so far the Old hag is just talking rubbish.

Also, I don't like how there is no numbered chapters...

Salazar said:
The Long Ships update: Still awesome. About a third to go.

Brother Willibald has joined the list of badass characters.
I was thinking about you last night (that sounds weird). But I was thinking that if you enjoy this book, which it sounds like you do, I think you'd really like Aztec. Its remarkably similar to The Long Ships. It follows a warrior through his life and various adventures in the Aztec kingdom.

51xE%2BbRpb2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

eznark

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
:lol Some of them are quite horrible people (specifically because they
kill one of their friends to cover up an earlier murder they committed
). I read that other book by Tartt, The Little Friend, and it was a fairly boring book.

Part of it was that I know snooty pricks from small liberal arts colleges in New England and could see them being just as disgusting.

Another small quibble with George R.R. Martin. Seems like he discovered the word "craven" about 2/3 of the way into Game of Thrones...and now will not stop using it. So weird.

blanky

Finished this one a few days ago. Really interesting. Writer starts of a bit weird in the beginning, too intrusive and speculative. But later on it's really powerful and sad.

35d4upk.jpg

Now I've started the first book of Murakami's 1q84 in dutch, first two chapters were promising though reviews werent raving.

survivor

Banned
Just finished reading both The Two Towers and The Return of the King. Now I can safely say I read the entire LOTR trilogy. At times it did really drag on, but I liked the battles and the interactions between the characters.

Started reading the first couple of pages from The Road. I thought I can go through the book in a day, but the style of writing is making me go through it very slowly.

Trurl

Banned
eznark said:
So when does A Game of Thrones get good? I'm 50 pages in and could not be more bored.
I read most of that book a number of years ago. It set its hooks in me at first, but I suddenly stopped reading 200 pages from the end when I had the feeling that I was wasting my time reading what amounted to a fantasy soap opera.

Perhaps I shouldn't have done that.

Karakand

finowns said:
What is up with the tags:

bdsm(1)
bondage(1)
erotic fantasy(1)
erotic fiction(1)
hot erotica

I assume amazon has made a mistake; if not I might have to order this.
No mistake.

For example, the first 50 pages (or so) of the second book is an elaborate rape fantasy involving repeated impregnation.

I also really like how the author never got this edited. It really highlights the rugged individualism and iconoclasm.

Undeux

Just finished:
n17305.jpg

Now on to either The Long Ships or Tai-Pan... both look great. Then the third book in the Renko series.

finowns

eznark said:
I absolutely loved The Name of the Wind. I hadn't read any fantasy for years before six months ago or so when I read that, and it brought me back to the genre. Easily my favorite non-fiction book I have read in a long, long time.

I never said I'm not enjoying Game of Thrones but the sales pitch I'd heard about it is misleading. It feels a little bit like playing Final Fantasy XIII. I think at some point something awesome is going to happen, I just need to slog through 600 pages to get there. It's the exact opposite of The First Law trilogy, where the ending was mostly pointless (and you could tell it was going to be pointless half way through the first book) but the journey was enjoyable. I think Martin's stuff is going to pay off in a big way, but getting there is a bit of a chore.

My mistake. I actually can see where your coming from in regards to Game of Thrones, although it took me about 50 pages to be like wow this book is great, its not instant gratification but ultimately all the build up and tension really pays off.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
well, after all the raving about it here, I just ordered THE LONG SHIPS off amazon and it should arrive Thursday. I'll be finished with Bourdain's KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL by then. Looking forward to it. :D

eznark

Banned
Are the R.A. Salvatore books any good? Just saw 38 Studios new mmo is going to be based on the universe, figured maybe it's worth checking out.

Salazar

demon said:
well, after all the raving about it here, I just ordered THE LONG SHIPS off amazon and it should arrive Thursday. I'll be finished with Bourdain's KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL by then. Looking forward to it. :D

Good decision. It will make you want very much to be a Viking. It's such a resonant, half-comic picture of manliness and adventure.

Thanks for the recommendation, Maklershed. I have Adam Sisman's biography of Hugh Trevor-Roper in the mail, and that is probably going to be colossal and absorbing - quite apart from the fact that I am supposed to be reading for work, not for pleasure.

aidan said:
You're a good man.

Thank you, but I must read it first!

Mifune said:
Chabon is great. I'm sure you'll enjoy both Wonder Boys and The Yiddish Policemen's Union; they're beautiful books.

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh isn't as good for sure, but keep in mind it was his first novel. Hell, Chabon himself hates it.

His prose is awesome, I enjoy the way he rhythmically works his sentences.

JonesFTW

Neo Member
LocoMrPollock said:
DBDA-BE-Final-Twitter-3.jpg

Got it on Wednesday. Fucking Epic.

If your into those type of books. You should check out crossed. Its a comic or if you want to be fancy call it a graphic novel. Its a 9 or 10 part graphic novel. But it will scar you for life, it's the most depraving graphic novel you will ever read. Its like the 28 days later zombies because blood is how it spreads and they aren't dead. The 28 days later zombies look like bunnies compared to the "crossed". Instead of the people turing into zombies when get bit, they just turn evil. viewer discretion is advised. I mean it!

1g4r6a.jpg

eznark

Banned
Game of Thrones finally reached it's inevitable apex, and the oh-so-predictable shit has hit the all-too-obvious fan. I finally figured out what has been nagging me while reading this during the scene when Eddard walks in to confront the new king and says something to the effect of "well, Littlefinger held up his end."

George Martin clearly assumes all of his readers are lobotomized, dim-witted retards.

I honestly am enjoying the read, but I hate when a writer thinks his telegraphed twists are clever.

Salazar

Finished The Long Ships as well.

Fuck yeah. Vikings plucking spears out of the air, spinning them around, and flinging them back at the thrower, nailing him in the shoulder. Axes in heads. Priests throwing boulders.

Good book. I look forward to letting it fade enough from my mind for me to reread it. It's going to be fucking vivid for a little while yet, though.

The crazy Magister was especially badass, as were Sone's berserker sons.

eznark said:
I honestly am enjoying the read
Sure hasn't seemed like it. :lol

(Seriously, you've single-handedly made me focus on Europe: A History instead of jumping back and forth between it and A Game of Thrones, of which I only read the prologue.)

eznark

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
Sure hasn't seemed like it. :lol

(Seriously, you've single-handedly made me focus on Europe: A History instead of jumping back and forth between it and A Game of Thrones, of which I only read the prologue.)

I'm liking the overall story, but the paragraph to paragraph has felt like a grind. Now that I am on the back third of the book, it's painfully obvious how bloated the first half was.

I'll be done with it in the next day or two and it's a book that I am almost sure I will like more having finished it.

Mifune

Mehmber
eznark said:
I'm liking the overall story, but the paragraph to paragraph has felt like a grind. Now that I am on the back third of the book, it's painfully obvious how bloated the first half was.

I'll be done with it in the next day or two and it's a book that I am almost sure I will like more having finished it.

If you thought Game of Thrones was bloated, oh boy. Chapters full of strategy filler await!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Big20Short20cover_9dbd9.jpg

Getting into the book club book :)

Also read this recently and thought it was one the more unique and insightful takes on causes of the financial crisis (after reading several books on this topic).

So when does the discussion for the book club start? I'd write more but it's too late right now...

Pikelet

Game of Thrones finally reached it's inevitable apex, and the oh-so-predictable shit has hit the all-too-obvious fan. I finally figured out what has been nagging me while reading this during the scene when Eddard walks in to confront the new king and says something to the effect of "well, Littlefinger held up his end."

George Martin clearly assumes all of his readers are lobotomized, dim-witted retards.

I honestly am enjoying the read, but I hate when a writer thinks his telegraphed twists are clever.

Wait, have you finished the book? What apex are you talking about? i am not sure you have actually hit some of the main events of the book.

Jenga

Banned
demon said:
Let me know how you like it. I'm enjoying Kitchen Confidential so far.
It's basically a sequel. It'd be interesting handing Kitchen to someone who doesn't know who Bourdain is, then hand him Medium Raw and an episode of No Reservations to see how far this man has come in the last decade or two.

Guy

drink_before_war_trade_by_dennis_lehane.jpg

A bit cliché but I enjoyed it. looking for something else to read, anyone has a suggestion for a good spy/detective novel?

Top Bottom