• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2010)

Just read Tropic of Cancer. There was this one review of it I read after that managed to capture my feelings about the book perfectly, something along the lines of the book being like a rambling drunk in a bar. The drunk just babbles and babbles and every now and then, among his bullshit, there's this flash of brilliance, a nugget of wisdom... followed by more bullshit.
That's Tropic of Cancer for me.

barnone

Just finished Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy. I wasn't satisfied with the ending, mainly because
he didn't assassinate anyone! I mean come on :( I understand the guy's journey was supposed to be away from assassinating or something? but it's like he just stopped being an assassin and never pulled off ANY good assassinations in any of the 3 books against meaningful antagonists. Instead of having the story revolve around assassinating people.. it became a story about bonding with a wolf (which could have been so much more well executed in an assassination-themed series) and magic and
(major spoiler here->)
having dragons save the world.
Oh well... the first book was great. Too much deus ex machina throughout the series for my tastes though.

Up next I'm considering getting into the First Law trilogy or Wheel of Time... Maybe alternating between them. Any suggestions? I'm going to read the samples on Kindle soon, but still mulling over Assassin's Quest.

pale-blue-dot1.jpg

Jerk

Banned
barnone said:
Just finished Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy. I wasn't satisfied with the ending, mainly because
he didn't assassinate anyone! I mean come on :( I understand the guy's journey was supposed to be away from assassinating or something? but it's like he just stopped being an assassin and never pulled off ANY good assassinations in any of the 3 books against meaningful antagonists. Instead of having the story revolve around assassinating people.. it became a story about bonding with a wolf (which could have been so much more well executed in an assassination-themed series) and magic and
(major spoiler here->)
having dragons save the world.
Oh well... the first book was great. Too much deus ex machina throughout the series for my tastes though.

Up next I'm considering getting into the First Law trilogy or Wheel of Time... Maybe alternating between them. Any suggestions? I'm going to read the samples on Kindle soon, but still mulling over Assassin's Quest.

The first four WoT books are good, but the First Law Trilogy is superior in every way.

In continuing my Lost library read through, I'm halfway through Valis and will move on to A Wrinkle In Time within th next week.

Also reading Simon Singh's The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography.

Not sure what's next. There's a pretty massive stack on my desk right now.

Angst said:
Will finish up with Desert Spear and then start on:

515dsGMhnPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I read this last month and found it an enjoyable if somewhat forgettable read. I'm almost through his second book in the Culture series:

pog.jpg

And I'm enjoying it much more. I was mildly interested in the Culture after Phlebas, now I can't wait to read more.

Salazar

This arrives tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it.

2uh31ps.jpg

Frans Gunnar Bengtsson’s The Long Ships resurrects the fantastic world of the tenth century AD when the Vikings roamed and rampaged from the northern fastnesses of Scandinavia down to the Mediterranean. Bengtsson’s hero, Red Orm—canny, courageous, and above all lucky—is only a boy when he is abducted from his Danish home by the Vikings and made to take his place at the oars of their dragon-prowed ships. Orm is then captured by the Moors in Spain, where he is initiated into the pleasures of the senses and fights for the Caliph of Cordova. Escaping from captivity, Orm washes up in Ireland, where he marvels at those epicene creatures, the Christian monks, and from which he then moves on to play an ever more important part in the intrigues of the various Scandinavian kings and clans and dependencies. Eventually, Orm contributes to the Viking defeat of the army of the king of England and returns home an off-the-cuff Christian and a very rich man, though back on his native turf new trials and tribulations will test his cunning and determination. Packed with pitched battles and blood feuds and told throughout with wit and high spirits, Bengtsson’s book is a splendid adventure that features one of the most unexpectedly winning heroes in modern fiction.

FnordChan

charsace said:
Anyone know of any books that are similar the Hammer and the Cross books or Anno-Dracula?

While I haven't read The Hammer and the Cross, reading about it reminds me of a series that I haven't read myself but which my roommate recommended very highly, Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles, beginning with The Last Kingdom. While these books aren't alternate history SF, they're well regarded historical fiction, so that might scratch your viking itch.

A couple of medieval SF books also come to mind. The High Crusade by Poul Anderson takes place a bit later, in the 14th century, but is tremendously entertaining. It's about aliens versus knights and is a helluva lot of fun. In a more serious vein, Doomsday Book by Connie Willis is about a historian in a future where time travel is used for research. She gets sent to 14th century England, but her timing is off and she winds up smack in the middle of the Black Plague. Things get complicated from there. Doomsday Book won both the Hugo and the Nebula, so that's probably a good sign that you'd enjoy it.

As for Anno Dracula, have you read the sequels The Bloody Red Baron and Judgment of Tears: Anno Dracula 1959 (aka Dracula Cha Cha Cha)? If so, while no alternate history horror stories come immediately to mind, perhaps you'd enjoy Tim Power's supernatural secret histories? Check out The Anubis Gates which is about time travel, Egyptian cultists, werewolves, beggar gangs, and Samuel Taylor Coleridge. It kicks ass.

FnordChan

charsace

FnordChan said:
While I haven't read The Hammer and the Cross, reading about it reminds me of a series that I haven't read myself but which my roommate recommended very highly, Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles, beginning with The Last Kingdom. While these books aren't alternate history SF, they're well regarded historical fiction, so that might scratch your viking itch.

A couple of medieval SF books also come to mind. The High Crusade by Poul Anderson takes place a bit later, in the 14th century, but is tremendously entertaining. It's about aliens versus knights and is a helluva lot of fun. In a more serious vein, Doomsday Book by Connie Willis is about a historian in a future where time travel is used for research. She gets sent to 14th century England, but her timing is off and she winds up smack in the middle of the Black Plague. Things get complicated from there. Doomsday Book won both the Hugo and the Nebula, so that's probably a good sign that you'd enjoy it.

As for Anno Dracula, have you read the sequels The Bloody Red Baron and Judgment of Tears: Anno Dracula 1959 (aka Dracula Cha Cha Cha)? If so, while no alternate history horror stories come immediately to mind, perhaps you'd enjoy Tim Power's supernatural secret histories? Check out The Anubis Gates which is about time travel, Egyptian cultists, werewolves, beggar gangs, and Samuel Taylor Coleridge. It kicks ass.

FnordChan
Thanks, will give these a look. Too bad the Anno Dracula sequels aren't ebooks. :(

carpal

I was at a local used bookstore yesterday and noticed a bunch of NYRB classics. I only recognized them because of the style of the cover (same as The Long Ships). Pretty eclectic and interesting library of titles.

So I gave up on Mr. Vinge. Sorry, Cyan.

I'm currently reading W.G. Sebald's Vertigo until my next shipment of sci-fi arrives (Foundation and Hyperion). Unfortunately, I couldn't find any cool older editions of these at the aforementioned bookstore so I had to break down and just Amazon them.

Still, I love me some Sebald.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm reading 'Abraham Lincoln Vampire hunter'

it's really really good! And an easy read as well, I finished the master and margarita and really didn't enjoy it very much.

eznark

Banned
65660863.JPG

So I finished it. The first 100 pages are a real slog, but then the last 200 make those pages feel like a vacation. Given that, it's still only about a 3 hour read.

It's a terribly written book about a terribly stupid terrorist plot (masterminded by a PR firm) foiled by a terribly stupid protagonist (the PR dudes son, of course). The writing is really bad, the dialog is hilariously atrocious and the ending...doesn't exist. I imagine the sequel will be out by November as there is no conclusion. It's about as deep and thoughtful as a single episode of a bad conspiracy TV show.

That said, he does accomplish a few things and it's clear that these were the reason for writing the book. He uses founders quotes well to illustrate his overarching points and the monologues are surprisingly well written when taken by themselves. Even the evil PR dude's reasons and rationale are somewhat thoughtful.

There is nothing dangerous in the book, no threats to politicians or instructions for blowing up a city. In fact, there aren't even any political characters. Politicians are meaningless puppets of the PR mastermind. I am 100% convinced that the Washington Post reviewer did not make it past 50 pages of this book. Saying that this book might incite someone to violence belies either an incomprehensible lack of intelligence (it's basically like saying Avatar is going to spur people to hate the environment) or a person who simply didn't read the book. I refuse to believe the narrative was too deep and complicated for anyone to decipher it, so I am left with the conclusion that the WaPo retard simply wrote a review based on Beck's personality and the book jacket.

In fact, Beck's sole purpose in writing this book seems to be to tell Tea Party types to stop associating themselves with the lunatic fringe; anti-semites, racists, militia-men, etc. In that, I hope he is successful. He goes to childish and inane lengths to espouse the virtues of non-violence when defending Liberty.

As a novel it's abysmal, as a political polemic it's rote but as a warning to the target audience to watch who you associate with I think it works.

Salazar

Maklershed said:
I'm reading this now as well. I'm really digging it so far. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Motherfucker :lol My copy hasn't arrived yet. Postal gremlins. Good to hear, though.

Gaborn

I'm reading Friday, by Heinlein. It definitely raises a huge number of interesting issues (and in fact starts out with quite a bang... sorry, for those of you who have read it and are familiar with that reference). If you like and are familiar with Heinlein and his writing style I think you'd pretty much love it, if you're not this is probably NOT the book to start with (Stranger in a Strange Land of course).

Still, it's good. Heinlein takes an interesting look at genetics and prejudice (the book has a strong vibe similar to what you get from Gattaca, only in the reverse, with genetic enhancement perceived as a strong negative), a very strong exploration of sexual ethics (the characters fuck like bunnies) and a huge dose of technology. Fun read, but not one you can plow through in one sitting.

Jay Sosa

Finished this:
stross.jpg

Not bad but I'm not interested in WOW or any other MMO so it wasn't that exciting to read.

Started with this:

0abcdeb3-64ce-45d1-b9c9-005b764d8b76.jpg

And have to say I'm completely blown away. It's from a fellow Austrian who wrote the "Brenner" books which are extremely popular here (they already made 3 movies based on them) and he has an extremely odd way of writing and building up a story.

Anyways, this book is written like an interview between him (the author) and a film critic who is asking him question about a story (to a movie) he has written about a German man who after 15 years goes back to some little village in Austria where he spent his summers as a child.The whole story is told by the questions of the (German) critic and the witty answer by Haas.

I'm not sure if this has been done before (and it really doesn't matter to me) but It's a great idea and a blast to read.

I just saw that it was indeed translated in English, I however don't know if it is as brilliant as it is in German(or let's rather say, Austrian).

The Weather 15 years ago

Salazar

YEAH !

My copy of The Long Ships arrived. About 15 pages in and it's FUCKING AWESOME. It has such a laconic air to it.

S. L.

just finished:
NorwegianWood.jpg

plowed trough it in two days :D , easily one of his best
thou i like
the similiar themed
"South of the Border, West of the Sun" better

now reading
160px-Farneheit_451.jpg

Just finishing up Ringworld. I have a backlog of books to read, including the new Star Wars series (though I might wait till they are all released). Hopefully I can get round to Reading Unfinished Tales and The Silmarillion.

Salazar said:
YEAH !

My copy of The Long Ships arrived. About 15 pages in and it's FUCKING AWESOME. It has such a laconic air to it.

Just got my copy this morning too, I love Viking stuff and your post sold me, so thanks for the heads up :D

Finished reading I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream;

harlan.jpg

Really enjoyed it for the most part, the obvious centerpieces are the titular 'I Have No Mouth...' and 'Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes' that bookend the collection, but all the stories were damn inventive and very enjoyable. I especially liked 'Big Sam Was My Friend' and 'Delusion for a Dragon Slayer'.

Now i'm reading The Beast That Shouted Love at the Heart of the World;

512nWlKXQgL_SS500_.jpg

ymmv

Banned
I finished the third book in Joe Abercrombie's very enjoyable "First Law" trilogy a couple of days ago. I thought it was time for something completely different so I'm now reading this:

berlin-noir.jpg

Salazar

ymmv said:

Looks good. I might look into it. If anybody is into humorous crime fiction, the Duffy books by Dan Kavanagh (actually Julian Barnes) are extraordinarily good.

The opening of the first book - a brutal house invasion conducted with the most delicate British etiquette - is wonderful. Barnes-Kavanagh is not in Kyril Bonfiglioli's league, but these books are really fucking good and hardly acknowledged.

Edit - Removed Amazon link, because their prices are extortionate.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm going to be reading Murakami's Norwegian Wood or The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle next. Just finished South of the Border West of the Sun and really liked it.

Which should it be?

I'm going to be reading Murakami's Norwegian Wood or The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle next. Just finished South of the Border West of the Sun and really liked it.
Norwegian Wood is one of his strongest but it's maybe a third of the length of Wind Up Bird. If you have the time for it, I'd suggest Wind-Up Bird Chronicles just because it's so subliminally haunting. Much more so than South of the Border.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds

Just started. Loved Revelation Space which I've read twice and I recently read the Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Days duo. Big fan of this universe, but just finally getting to more of the novels.

Just ordered more books last night

1 "The Graveyard Book"
Neil Gaiman; Hardcover;

1 "Star Wars: The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance"
Sean Williams; Hardcover; $16.20

1 "Norwegian Wood"
Haruki Murakami; Paperback; $10.17

1 "Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West"
Cormac McCarthy; Paperback; $10.20

1 "Mass Effect: Retribution"
Drew Karpyshyn; Mass Market Paperback; $7.99

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Well I was going to start another Murakami book but I picked up Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential instead, which I've been looking forward to reading for a while. I like these kinds of books and I'm a big fan of his show so I have high hopes for it. I think someone here recommended it a few months ago, actually.

Toby

I just finished Rendezvous with Rama. I really didn't like it that much. I was expecting so much more out of it, instead of ending on basically answering nothing. I guess I could live with that and expect to read the sequels for the answers, if they didn't seem so shitty. Oh well, it was ok, but I don't think I will ever read it again.

Top Bottom