• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
You better be reading all the other Assassins books after it then the Tawny Man books.

I'll be going through the Farseer Trilogy, and then will move on to another author. I have a massive backlog of books that I want to get through. The count is at close to thirty. @_@ I intend to go through all of them before purchasing any new titles. At -some- point, I would like to read all of Hobb's work.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Hrmmm, i would just highly recommend you at least read the first book of the Tawny Man series after you finish the Farseer ones, its a very powerful book and if you read it straight after the Farseer trilogy it will be that much more....... potent.

Hrmmm, i would just highly recommend you at least read the first book of the Tawny Man series after you finish the Farseer ones, its a very powerful book and if you read it straight after the Farseer trilogy it will be that much more....... potent.

You don't like the Liveship trilogy?

Alucard

Banned

I actually have the first Tawny Man book in my backlog. Shouldn't I read the Liveship Traders after the Farseer Trilogy?

Fitz is pretty memorable. I went awhile between reading the Farseer trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy, and I managed to fit the underrated Liveship Traders trilogy between that as well. The Tawny Man trilogy still hit me quite hard emotionally.

Her unrelated Soldier Son trilogy was somewhat of a disappointment, but hopefully Dragon Keeper (first in a new series which shares the same world as her Farseer books) delivers - and it's out now!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I have read all her series a couple times, first i went through Farseers>Liveship>Tawny Man second time i went through Farseer>Tawny Man>Liveship it seemed to mesh better for me but that may be because i had already read them all.

I'd say go through however you feel, its just the writing style and stuff gets changed up Assassins and Tawny Man being in First Person, Liveship in third person. I dont think theres that much of a crossover of characters or details making it vital that you read the Liveship series before the Tawny Man.

Also i think there would be a lot more "Ohhhh now i get" moments (which i enjoy) if you went Tawny Man then Liveship.

Yes i did enjoy the Liveship series, <3 Brashen and Paragon. Will stop so i dont spoil it for Alucard.

Ordering Dragon Keeper today probly from the UK with maybe Tad Williams Dragons of Ordinary Farm some other stuff.

Salazar

I'm also reading 'The Night Climbers of Cambridge', by Whipplesnaith - a memoir and guide to climbing the buildings (colleges, chapels, towers, libraries) of Cambridge University.

I believe it is available free online. It is completely splendid. Check it out, GAF.

Big-E

Just finished Xavier de Maistre's A Jounrey around my Room and have just started reading Rob Roy by Sir Walter Scott. After that I plan on looking into Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum.

13706162.JPG

Started it the other day. It has the weirdest turn of phrases, according to my Russian friend they are really obviously Russian being translated.

X26

Banned
Read The Road in less than 24hrs last week, great book

Using the threrad as a recommendation list now, and have started The Name of the Wind and have The Secret History ready after I'm done that

I'm half done TNOTW and I've gotta say

The main character is increidbly unlikable much of the time, he's written to be too good (author: how awesome is kvothe? so awesome) at everything and the book at times feels like the male equivalent of twilight, with the author just seemingly writing a fantasy about themselves. I do like it sofar but this aspect of the book is really annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom