• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2012)

Anita Blake. I read the first half dozen or so years ago which were genuinely not bad as far as trashy vampire pap goes. I quit like half way through one I found particularly boring (Moon Something?) but I was reading up on them and there are over 20(!) of them now and the synopses for them have just gotten more and more retarded as they have gone on. In the subsequent years since reading them I've developed a bit of a taste for intense stupidity so it seems like I'd be more into them now than I was back then when I was more turned off by how sexual they were getting.

Ah. That's a series I keep trying to like, but I just can't. Something about the main character's tone rubs me the wrong way. I think I read up to the third book and couldn't stand it any more.

The one guilty pleasure I keep returning to when I want to read Vampire smut is the books in this series:

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost -- Pretty much a Buffy rip-off, but with a lot more sex.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Ah. That's a series I keep trying to like, but I just can't. Something about the main character's tone rubs me the wrong way. I think I read up to the third book and couldn't stand it any more.

The one guilty pleasure I keep returning to when I want to read Vampire smut is the books in this series:

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost -- Pretty much a Buffy rip-off, but with a lot more sex.

I literally looked at that chick's Wikipedia page while I was digging around looking at Anita Blake stuff. I read this:
"In my dream, I saw a man and a woman arguing. Somehow I knew the woman was a half-vampire, the man was a full vampire, and they were arguing because he was angry that she'd left him."
and then did this:
PbpRh.gif

As for Anita herself, she's kind of a stereotypical, Michelle Rodriquez-esque, petite tough chick, which is an archetype I can't freaking stand in film but it never bothered me in the books for some reason. I really should have started hating those books way sooner than I did and it makes no sense to me.

As for Anita herself, she's kind of a stereotypical, Michelle Rodriquez-esque, petite tough chick, which is an archetype I can't freaking stand in film but it never bothered me in the books for some reason. I really should have started hating those books way sooner than I did and it makes no sense to me.

Yes! That captures my feeling about Anita exactly. Funny that I'm the opposite. I don't mind them in films and find them pretty funny, but in books, can't stand them. The whole chip-on-the-shoulder thing makes things a hard read.

After being worn down by Infinite Jest and having to stop halfway through, I decided to start a marathon revisiting of The Dark Tower series. A friend and my girlfriend are reading along as well, so I'll finally have somebody to discuss it with.

I've been tempted to start a "GAF reads" thread, as well...

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Yes! That captures my feeling about Anita exactly. Funny that I'm the opposite. I don't mind them in films and find them pretty funny, but in books, can't stand them. The whole chip-on-the-shoulder thing makes things a hard read.

Haha, I think it's because in the movies for me you're kinda forced to look at their never-changing, tough chick, smug faces all the time and directors go out of their way to make them as "badass" as they can within a 2 hour time frame. In the book you get to at least see her in dire situations, occasionally scared, and shit she obsesses over a stuffed penguin she sleeps with. It's not just a constant barrage of grrl power all the time. Not there's anything wrong with grrl power, just all things in moderation.

Piecake

Made me wanna puke all over myself for Chrissakes.

You should read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man next

"Oh, poor me. I am just so miserable and alone. Everyone hates me since I am just so much smarter and better than everyone else! Oh, woe is me!!!!!"

Recently finished reading a couple of quasi-Canadian books (one's written by a Canadian resident born in England, the other by an American resident born in Canada), and I wouldn't be surprised if you've heard of both of them:

room.jpg

Room is an interesting read; it's a book narrated by a 5-year-old boy who was born and raised in a small room (has little else than a toilet, bed, sink) with his mother. He's never been outside of the room in his life. Neither the concept nor the narration wears thin.

9850443.jpg

The Sisters Brothers is a fun read; it takes place in the late 1800's in western America (Oregan, San Francisco), and is narrated by one of two outlaw brothers. The chapters aren't really chapters - they're only 2-3 pages. It's much like reading a diary. But the book is awesome, as it's unapologetically violent and quite funny. The book is quite contemporary in its narration, and I enjoyed it so much, it inspired me (along with Cormac McCarthy) to write a 10,000 word short story set in the mid 1800's.

The book is quite contemporary in its narration, and I enjoyed it so much, it inspired me (along with Cormac McCarthy) to write a 10,000 word short story set in the mid 1800's.

Is it shareable with us? I'd like to read it. I love stories set in the 1800s (particularly in the American south).

LiQuid!

I don't think this could be more "for me." I've been waiting for this book since 2007

zcx5u.jpg

If only I'd know it existed over a decade ago!

Fjordson

9850443.jpg

The Sisters Brothers is a fun read; it takes place in the late 1800's in western America (Oregan, San Francisco), and is narrated by one of two outlaw brothers. The chapters aren't really chapters - they're only 2-3 pages. It's much like reading a diary. But the book is awesome, as it's unapologetically violent and quite funny. The book is quite contemporary in its narration, and I enjoyed it so much, it inspired me (along with Cormac McCarthy) to write a 10,000 word short story set in the mid 1800's.
This sounds fascinating. Been on the lookout for something a little different to get me reading again. This might do it.

Jintor

The-Sense-of-an-Ending.jpg

It's Chris Remo's fault.

Too busy with legal papers, Kid Icarus and Japanese study for more than one book. Devoured like 5 over the past two weeks though.

Starting up book 8 in the Wheel of Time series. It's been so long since I read the seventh it might take a while to get back into it.

Is it shareable with us? I'd like to read it. I love stories set in the 1800s (particularly in the American south).
I've only written a first draft, but I suppose I could email it to anyone who promised not to share it around.

Feel free to PM me your email, whoever's interested.

There's a supreme irony to Catcher in the Rye. High school students, in recent years, have started attacking the book because they hate Holden. They find him insufferable, whiny, depressing, etc. They're completely oblivious to the fact that that's how adults view almost every single one of them.

Canuck76

Banned
Guys make me a feel a little better. I was trying to read Ananthem by Neal Stephenson. Couldn't. Just got so bogged down in all of the descriptions and 150-200 pages in, nothing's happened i go to wiki and the first sentence (of the sequence of events) has not happened

I've given up and moved on to Clash of Kings. I had Ananthem for a while so i decided to pause my song of fire and ice reading but i just can't guys.

Tell me I'm justified please

Dresden

Guys make me a feel a little better. I was trying to read Ananthem by Neal Stephenson. Couldn't. Just got so bogged down in all of the descriptions and 150-200 pages in, nothing's happened i go to wiki and the first sentence (of the sequence of events) has not happened

I've given up and moved on to Clash of Kings. I had Ananthem for a while so i decided to pause my song of fire and ice reading but i just can't guys.

Tell me I'm justified please

if you don't enjoy it, just move on. too many fishes in the sea to bother reading things you don't enjoy.

Monocle

o1xxP.jpg

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin

So I read A Game of Thrones recently. I'd bought the first season of the HBO series on the strength of GAF's recommendation and figured it would be best to finish the book before watching. It's definitely as great as people have claimed. I'm hooked now. My plan is to read the next four books by the time Season 2 is out on Blu-ray.

Top Bottom