• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading (May 2011)

Ashes

Banned
Vl839.jpg

Ratrat

Finished Anna Karenina for the first time...that was not the ending I was anticipating. :|

Someone recommend me a really funny book.

Dresden said:
Breakfast of Champions is his funniest book, I think. It was the first Vonnegut novel I read, and it got me hooked.

6.1 inches.

By the way Bluebeard is my favorite out of all his books. Not his best, by all means, but I love it nonetheless.

Bluebeard's a pretty interesting one. I don't remember much from it except for the unveiling of the painting at the end, though. Of all the minor characters he could choose to focus a whole novel on, though, I was always surprised he chose fuckin' Rabo Karabekian of all people. Though of course, Vonnegut does a pretty effective job lampooning the modern art fraud, which is always entertaining.

Zeth

Just finished

7905092.jpg

Was a good read, I enjoyed the characters, however tragic. Definitely not a page-turner though.

Just started

7331435.jpg

I'm sure both have been mentioned already.

SolKane

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
It might be one of the worst ones to start with, true, but it's a damned fantastic book overall. The two lead characters are extremely memorable (and, though stylized and exaggerated for humor's sake, both realistic and non-stereotypical characters), the "boredom" that you refer to at the end does, I think, actually wrap into a very nice bit of artistic deconstruction (especially when he inserts himself into the story), and as per the Vonnegut usual, it's fucking hysterical, funnier than perhaps anything else that he ever wrote (at least that's I've read). I mean, its strengths are pretty much the exact same strengths of any other in the Kurt Vonnegut canon.

l think its faults are actually a result of whatever strengths Vonnegut does have as a writer, because it shows that while he may be a stylistically interesting writer he is still a rather limited writer in terms of knowing his talents and using them to his advantage. I get that the book is supposed to stretch his schtick to its breaking point, but to what degree it's a success or even a worthwhile endeavor is seriously questionable. The more post-modernist choices in this book he makes aren't interesting (self-reference, making himself a character) and don't make the book compelling to me; they've all been done before in other contexts and done better. They just smack of paltry contrivance, and his boredom with the book is a good argument for the audience to feel alienated. Like I said, it seems more like a personal exercise, like something he typed out to work through his anguish in a basement at night. If that's the case he should have left the thing unpublished or burned it. It might be said to be a definitive work of his, in that no one else could write it, but it exposes at the same time his worse tendencies as a writer - flat prose, a certain obnoxiousness in his succint but rambling style, narrative contrivances. I had no idea people even cared for this book, I could barely finish it myself. My honest opinion is that it's a self-indulgent mess, but I guess if you're smitten with post-modern fiction then you'll enjoy it.

MYE

20080415050248.JPG

LOVE IT!

I've been reading this for god knows how long though.
I just dont like to read during summer.

Sleepy

Zeth said:
Just finished

Freedom

Was a good read, I enjoyed the characters, however tragic. Definitely not a page-turner though.

Damn. It's next on my shelf; maybe I'll push it back a bit.

SolKane said:
l think its faults are actually a result of whatever strengths Vonnegut does have as a writer, because it shows that while he may be a stylistically interesting writer he is still a rather limited writer in terms of knowing his talents and using them to his advantage. I get that the book is supposed to stretch his schtick to its breaking point, but to what degree it's a success or even a worthwhile endeavor is seriously questionable. The more post-modernist choices in this book he makes aren't interesting (self-reference, making himself a character) and don't make the book compelling to me; they've all been done before in other contexts and done better. They just smack of paltry contrivance, and his boredom with the book is a good argument for the audience to feel alienated. Like I said, it seems more like a personal exercise, like something he typed out to work through his anguish in a basement at night. If that's the case he should have left the thing unpublished or burned it. It might be said to be a definitive work of his, in that no one else could write it, but it exposes at the same time his worse tendencies as a writer - flat prose, a certain obnoxiousness in his succint but rambling style, narrative contrivances. I had no idea people even cared for this book, I could barely finish it myself. My honest opinion is that it's a self-indulgent mess, but I guess if you're smitten with post-modern fiction then you'll enjoy it.

I actually pretty much hate PoMo through and through, but I thought Vonnegut made it work very well for this story; indeed, I'm hard-pressed to think of many other places where I HAVE seen them done better. And though his prose is spare, I don't think that it's flat at all; the sentences stack up upon one another in a way that they lead into his punchlines and observations perfectly, and their very bluntness lends them a depth of insight that few other authors, humorists or otherwise, can achieve. And where in the book do you see boredom? It's a damned fun book to read, and you can really tell that, regardless of what he may have said in the book, he had a blast writing it.

Edit: And what in the hell is being 'indulged' if it's self-indulgent?

Zeth said:

Freedom may not be a pageturner plot wise, but the prose is so enjoyably readable that its easy to blow through 100 pages and not notice it.

SolKane

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I actually pretty much hate PoMo through and through, but I thought Vonnegut made it work very well for this story; indeed, I'm hard-pressed to think of many other places where I HAVE seen them done better. And though his prose is spare, I don't tYink that it's flat at all; the sentences stack up upon one another in a way that they lead into his punchlines and observations perfectly, and their very bluntness lends them a depth of insight that few other authors, humorists or otherwise, can achieve. And where in the book do you see boredom? It's a damned fun book to read, and you can really tell that, regardless of what he may have said in the book, he had a blast writing it.

Edit: And what in the hell is being 'indulged' if it's self-indulgent?

It's his ego which is being indulged:

"This is a very bad book you're writing," I said to myself behind my leaks.
"I know," I said.
"You're afraid you'll kill yourself the way your mother did," I said.
"I know," I said.

The intent of the book is clear - it's an ego laxative for Vonnegut. I get it. It just doesn't make good literature, but it sure does make good shit.

SolKane said:
It's his ego which is being indulged:

"This is a very bad book you're writing," I said to myself behind my leaks.
"I know," I said.
"You're afraid you'll kill yourself the way your mother did," I said.
"I know," I said.

The intent of the book is clear - it's an ego laxative for Vonnegut. I get it. It just doesn't make good literature, but it sure does make good shit.

A good-natured ribbing of himself = the book is an "ego laxative?" You're way overreaching, man. You may not have liked the book, but it IS well-written, artistically speaking.

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize the new thread was up when I bumped it.

Top Bottom