• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading (May 2012)

Divius

200px-LAconfidentialcvr.jpg

3rd entry in the L.A. Quartet

Fritz

Hey GAF,

For my school's summer reading I have to choose one play to read and then either two short books or one longer book. I've laid out all the options below and was wondering if you all had any suggestions. (I can also choose books that are off-list, but they have to be classics of some form) - edit: and as a side note we will also be reading Great Expectations and Oedipus Rex

It's Turn of the Screw by Henry James not Ibsen! But I'd recommend that. It's a chilling gothik novel.

What's the page limit on a short novel? I'd say add something by Chekhov (eg The Shooting Party or The Lady with the Dog) and than read one of the plays by Tennessee Williams, who really embraced Chekhov.

Really just my preferances.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
The doomsday key by James Rollins. Finished reading the last oracle by james rollins. trying to finish up the sigma force books before the new one comes out.

I do what your friend does sometimes (though it isn't getting back into reading for me; just going back and forth), just because occasionally I want to read something I don't need to think too much about and can just enjoy on a base, surface level.

Edit: What Cyan said!

I'm the same way. But I do find it jarring sometimes to from wonderful writing (Ishiguro, Nabokov, etc.) to only so-so writing. I tend to do something like literature, highly-rated sci-fi or fantasy, trashy paranormal romance or fantasy, non-fiction, repeat.

But sometimes I get stuck on a trashy trend, especially if it's a series, and I end up reading a bunch in a row.

It is the need to take a break from serious stuff that drives me to it. Sometimes, I just want a cheap thrill, not 300 pages of navel-gazing.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
wards-of-faerie-shannara-terry-brooks-491x750.jpg

Just for Cyan, I'm currently reading Wards of Faerie by Terry Brooks. I know Brooks doesn't have a lot of fans around these parts, but he's long been a favourite of mine for, alongside Tolkien, introducing me to the Fantasy genre. I went into Wards of Faerie with extreme caution, given the quality of Brooks several most recent novels, but have been pleasantly surprised by the book. It's the best thing he's written in 10 years.

After that, I think I'll move onto:

YwDP1.jpg

The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers. Recently won the Arthur C. Clarke award.

Top Bottom