• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November '08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
2wgc1fr.jpg

Wanted to get a hold of a copy of this after watching and very much enjoying Bogdanovich's They All Laughed a couple of months back. His affair with Stratten essentially began during filming, but she was murdered by her estranged husband shortly after they completed work on it. Bogdanovich clearly never fully recovered from the incident, and the book is a strikingly personal and damning account of the events leading up to and beyond. As a genre, "true crime" has never really been of interest to me, but this is something else quite entirely.

Also, simultaneously excited and terrified about Roberto Bolano's 2666 coming out next week. At nearly 1,000 pages, this thing looks obscenely daunting, but I'm fascinated by the promise of the story and reviews are amazing.

2vto9y8.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
0300110561.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Been wanting to read this for a while after I finished Code 2.0, and some Jessical Litman stuff. I just started digging in, but I love his (highly optimistic) thesis that the new information enables an unprecedented amount and quality of participation from non-market actors. Jibes somewhat well with election time too. Especially interesting to read this two years after it was written.

Aulatori

AstroLad said:
Wealth of Networks
That looks interesting - adding that to my list.

This months I'm trying to stay away from the usual fantasy/scifi/fiction I usually read, so here's my list:

20krf3p.jpg

About 1/2 way through this, and I like it so far. I really enjoy Hitchen's style of writing - I feel like I'm actually learning as I read (if nothing else, I learn a bunch of vocabulary :p).

35n63c4.jpg

Again about half way through this guy too. I had heard a lot about this book and enjoy Michio Kaku whenever he's on random science shows like The Universe and Nova. I actually hadn't heard of the Kaluza-Klein theory and didn't know what to expect going into this book, but although the content can be a bit dense at times it's incredibly well explained and you can tell Kaku loves this stuff.

euhe9w.jpg

Just about to start this once I wrap up Letters. I'd seen a few people recommend it in the past so I thought I've give it a shot.

sikkinixx

4311.jpg

23886.jpg

Reading Michael Psellos, specifically the article by Dimitri Krallis.

byzantium.jpg

Supposed to have been for pleasure, but has since turned into more school shit. Fucking school's job is to ruin everything *grumble*

JDSN

Banned
415OL2qCqIL._SS500_.jpg

I havent been so depressed because of a book since I got to the ending of 100 years of solitude.

p01ar

GameTrailers
I'm reading the Twilight Series, because I heard it was awesome and that I "wouldn't be able to put it down."

But it sucks, I'm on the second book and a I hate it. It's pacing is all off, the character development is weak and the author treats the audience like they are stupid.

I'm probably going to give up on it, I don't think I can handle it anymore.

Meliorism

JDSN said:

I havent been so depressed because of a book since I got to the ending of 100 years of solitude.

I am also reading The Road. And I have Cien Años de Soledad also, but I haven't read it.

theBishop

Banned
sikkinixx said:
My old Poli Sci TA is screaming at you right now :lol

Heh... I don't have to agree with it. But after Naomi Klein spent 500 pages tearing him a new asshole, I think I should give him the opportunity to defend himself.

swoon

Cosmic Bus said:
Also, simultaneously excited and terrified about Roberto Bolano's 2666 coming out next week. At nearly 1,000 pages, this thing looks obscenely daunting, but I'm fascinated by the promise of the story and reviews are amazing.

2vto9y8.jpg

i'm finishing up savage detectives now in preparation for it. i'm pretty excited.

JDSN said:

Yeah, it keeps you on edge the entire time you're reading it. I went in half-expected some badass Mad Max-esque stuff and was shocked by how bleak it is.

Salazar

Anathem - Neal Stephenson.
Jimmy Corrigan - Chris Ware.
How Fiction Works - James Wood.
The Iliad - Homer (trans. Robert Fagles).

GAF doesn't need me to tell it that all four of these are awesome.

51zjc5i5y8L._SS500_.jpg

an awesome sentence:

A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained wedding veil and some in headgear of cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or sabre done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
sikkinixx said:

Oh god, you are taking The Craft, I feel your pain and wish the best wish the best of luck to you.

51Z2MS31H5L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Excellent chronicle of the Eisner Era at Disney, gets a bit dense at times, especially when trying to keep track of everybody, but it really is a good read of the transmogrification of Disney from also-ran that was nearly taken over to the juggernaut of today.

9d0d53a09da0ab25bba15110.L.jpg

Perfume by Peter Suskind. Fantastic book, and may be my new favorite novel. I can't recommend it enough.

Sorry for the bad image quality.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Come on GAF. 20 posts and no George R.R. Martin yet?

51m5P-kKQ7L._SS500_.jpg

This is really funny.

61Pi4MFCPCL._SS500_.jpg

This one is too.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Dreams_from_my_father.png

Sociology professor gave us an extra credit assignment and this book was on the list so I can't wait to read it.
Preemptive one, I know. But I was gonna get to it soon anyways :D

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Reading Now -

219tj0o.jpg

4uf0y1.jpg

Will start one of these next -

2a7z80o.jpg

2zxrw5w.jpg

2e0sm0m.jpg

If comics and manga count, I'm going to start Maus soon, and I have a ton of Berserk and Lone Wolf and Cub to catch up on. Don't feel like tracking down pics, though.

Forsete

Gold Member
51436.jpg

English title: Let the right one in
For the 2nd time.

Also got his other books which I havent read yet.

manniskohamn-744552.jpg

Human Harbor

56790.jpg

Handling the Undead

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Cormac McCarthy The Road Just amazing.

Durante

I just finished
PerdidoStreetStation%281stEd%29.jpg

Kind of a steampunk fantasy setting, unusually well written.

Next I'll try to complete
51833RJZ83L._SS500_.jpg

It's flagrantly pretentious but it has moments of brilliance.

theBishop

Banned
Jube3 said:
First time reading it :D

I found it overrated, but I'm not a big comic book guy. Moore does a great job showing what a comic book could be by taking advantage of the medium in interesting ways. However, the actual story wasn't very interesting to me.

Davidion

51V2P32Q3QL.jpg

I've been on this for a while but it's hard to stay with it sometimes. Saramago's writing style really is interesting and satisfying to read. However, the fact that it's translated and there are often pages upon pages of text with no paragraph breaks can make it a little tedious to go through in long sittings. I'm determined to stick through it though.

way more

american-psycho-cover1.jpg

It's perhaps too bloated for the story of a completely artificial man but I re-read the first page to better understand the ending and found myself reading the first 50 pages again.

Now I'm debating wither to read,

everything-is-illuminated-poster-0.jpg

Or,

carter-beats-the-devil.jpg

Carter Beats the Devil was the book I thought I was reading when I picked up The Amazing Adventures of Kaviler and Clay but that was mistake I don't regret making.

Fritz

i still have to finish Faulkner's Big Woods but my plans for Nov involve:

250px-Diamond_Ritz.jpg

161816.jpg

measuring-the-world.jpg

German editions though. I get most of my books from the fleamarket these days as I tend to catch up on the classics anyway. They are cheap as hell and old books are just much better crafted. I bet they last me longer then a new paper-back would. And they look awesome on the bookshelf

Salazar

mac said:
Carter Beats the Devil was the book I thought I was reading when I picked up The Amazing Adventures of Kaviler and Clay but that was mistake I don't regret making.

Carter Beats the Devil is an excellent book. I'd definitely reread it if I hadn't sold my copy back to the store (for credit, with which I picked up an also brilliant James Herriot omnibus).

Alucard

Banned
I am still making my way through Hyperion. It has taken me well over a month and I am only a little over the halfway mark, currently reading The Scholar's Tale. I am enjoying it a fair bit, and love the variety in the storytelling, but I wish I could just get through it a lot quicker. Sadly, I have just been really busy. I will likely move on to The Fall of Hyperion once I complete the first book. I just hope I will be able to use my time more effectively and will be able to get some more reading done.

Reading this:

2a7ahdu.jpg

to enrich this (which I'm reading for class):

15g58y0.jpg

These next two are for class as well:

33ogp68.jpg

1zg9n3t.jpg

And finally, this (in my free time):

2dj1jsz.gif

The life of an English grad student sucks.

Alucard

Banned
Monroeski said:
Reading Now -

219tj0o.jpg

4uf0y1.jpg

How are these books? I'm always tempted to pick them up when browsing for new material, based on the sleek cover designs alone.

I also have less than 100 pages left to read of Hyperion, and am glad to be so near the end. For a book of such modest size, 481 pages, it has taken me far too long to get through. It is not that I do not enjoy the book, though parts of it have been a slight chore, but I have just been very busy and have found much of the material to be quite dense for a travelling adventure story.

Uncle

Just started:
a852.jpg

Jens Lapidus: Snabba cash (the cover above is form the finnish translation)
Not apparently available in english.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom