• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Are You Reading (November '09)

FiRez

the_stand1.jpg

At chapter 47 this is definetly the most engaging and exciting book I've read so far, just finished the part where
Fran and co. kills the guys of the pink house trailer, it was simply amazing

The narrative is very compelling and rich on details, the characters are charming and with very interesting backstories, there is not a single slow part, this book is loaded with scenes so graphic and full of emotion that it has moved me even more than some mangas.

I'm glad that I picked it after finishing "The Road", it was so awful that it diminished my faith on the genre.

Finished Blink (audiobook) while playing Torchlight over the weekend. It's about how we do snap judgments and the factors that play into our first impressions. As a tall white male I found it all very interesting. I also got a new favorite Springsteen song out of it.

Good stuff.

Right now I'm going through The World is Flat (also audiobook) by Thomas Friedman which is about globalization and stuff like that. It goes along nicely with my newly created Vanquisher.

Also reading A Farewell to Arms as my first Hemmingway novel, about 60 pages in and don't have much to say about it yet.

Junior Asparagus said:
21lcOrgXAuL._SS500_.jpg

About halfway through but still having a little bit of a tough time getting into it...
I'm actually reading Lolita right now. Not in Iran though. I'll probably finish it tonight.

Surprisingly funny book. The prose itself is a delight to read. After reading the first two paragraphs I knew I would enjoy it.

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.
She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita."

Salazar

Danne-Danger said:
Also reading A Farewell to Arms as my first Hemmingway novel, about 60 pages in and don't have much to say about it yet.

What is there to say ? It is a book. You are reading the book. When you turn the last page, you will have finished the book. That is all there is.

Salazar said:
What is there to say ? It is a book. You are reading the book. When you turn the last page, you will have finished the book. That is all there is.
Well I could leave a general impression of the book. Maybe even share some thoughts to spark conversation.

You know, forum stuff.

Salazar

Danne-Danger said:
Well I could leave a general impression of the book. Maybe even share some thoughts to spark conversation.

You know, forum stuff.

I jest. If you like it, you should try Tobias Wolff.

beje

Banned
152mk38.jpg

Loved it so much, I just bought the other one online. I really like these kind of surprises when randomly browsing the english section of my favorite bookstore.

And yeah, I don't care it's a kids book. The premise of the afterlife of a girl that choked to death on a gummybear was too funny to ignore.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
I tried starting Ulysses again. Joyce is just too fustrating now.

So instead, I hoped down to the library and got this:
3495934816_3b60ac5327.jpg

I plan to read the entire cycle by my birthday.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Hope this picture shows up for the rest of you, for some reason it isn't working behind the web filter I'm on right now -

116q54m.jpg

There are still so many options available for "next" on my to-read list that I don't want to even bother trying to list any options.

jason10mm

Gold Member
FiRez said:

Are you reading the unabridged version? I LOVE "The Stand" and eat door stoppers for breakfast, but even I thought the unabridged was a bit too much.

FiRez said:
I'm glad that I picked it after finishing "The Road", it was so awful that it diminished my faith on the genre.

I've yet to read "The Road" (or any of his stuff) but I'm sad that you thought so poorly of it. Seems like he is a real "hit or miss" author. Hopefully he will come to the Kindle soon.

ultron87

Reading Clash of Kings. This series definitely deserves all the praise it gets here on GAF and elsewhere. I'm about halfway through and I finally have time to start reading again.

My next book is either going to be The Gathering Storm or Diamond Age.

If I read Diamond Age it would keep my pattern of flipflopping between fantasy and cyberpunk going. Though I guess Diamond Age is really more postcyberpunk. Or maybe I'll pick up a paper back copy of Stephenson's Anathem and read that instead. Could anyone who has read both give me a recommendation?

Oh yeah, and I also need to read the first ten chapters of a novel that my housemate is working on. Hmm, so many choices.

Rereading Ender's Game right now. I read this years ago but I couldn't even remember what had happened so I figured I'd read it again.

vooglie

n24842.jpg

The first one in the series ("Reality Dysfunction") starts off a little slow (similar to The Dreaming Void) but once it gets going it's really enjoyable. I've almost finished this one and have The Naked God waiting for me in my shelf.

Just reading Chuck Palahniuk's Pygmy.

Fucking hilarious. It's about a 13 year old Chinese special operative who lands in America to undertake Operation Havoc. It's written report-style in this babel fish-esque pidgeon English. I can already recommend.

UraMallas

DTLIONS1013 said:
Blain's a pain! [Not a spoiler]

Great book and great series. My favorite is Wizard and Glass, which will be the next one you read.

I'm currently just over half-way through:

ac62dv.jpg

Digging it enough but I hope I haven't already figured out where it's going...

Iain M. Banks - Inversions
9781416583783.jpg

Really enjoying this book. It's sort of a mixture of Matter and Use of Weapons in that it's a mixture of 2 interwoven stories set in a traditional fantasy type setting. The first time the Culture is even hinted at is on page 88! Definetly not the typical Banks space opera.

jergrah

2b3i.jpg

Since "The Road" was being discussed above - just want to throw out that its probably one of my 5 favorite books of the last few years.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
FiRez said:
the_stand1.jpg

At chapter 47 this is definetly the most engaging and exciting book I've read so far, just finished the part where
Fran and co. kills the guys of the pink house trailer, it was simply amazing

The narrative is very compelling and rich on details, the characters are charming and with very interesting backstories, there is not a single slow part, this book is loaded with scenes so graphic and full of emotion that it has moved me even more than some mangas.

Heh, just started reading "The Road" today at lunch... enjoying what I've read so far (the first 40 pages). The girl I've been kinda seeing mentioned how much she loved "The Stand" on our last date.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The%20Web%20of%20Life.jpg

Bit of an introduction for me into Systems Thinking. Pretty interesting so far.

totowhoa

Banned
Chapterhouse: Dune! My first time through the series and I have loved all the sequels so far :D I'll read his son's conclusion just for the sake of conclusion, though I don't have high expectations from everything I've heard.

No idea why Herbert's five sequels have gotten flack from GAF and others though. They've been great, save for Messiah :D

Koshiba

I finished Shadow of the Hegemon. Was different than Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow but I still enjoyed it. So I figure now I'll start on..

AGameOfThrones.jpg

Feel like I'm getting into too many series at once but oh well. I haven't had the money to just continue the ones I've already started so I'm just going through my current backlog of books I've received as gifts and what not. :lol

RedShift

Reading for the first time-
41QV1CH6Q4L.jpg

Bah, hard to find a picture of a book cover and not from the new movie, or worse, LXG
Really enjoying it, Wilde was one magnificent and crazy guy.

0156928507.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Anansi%20Boys%20Cover.png

I read Unexpected Universe during high school, but I didn't understand much of it, and even now I can't read more than a lecture at a time before I get overloaded. Still, Eiseley is very insightful. He accurately explains how a scientific approach can be applied to philosophical conundrums in a way that doesn't alienate either party.

Jarlaxle

I'm still reading The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks this month. Very slow going. It's not really holding my interest too much.

I really have to stop impulse buying books. By the time I get to them, I usually don't even want to read them. Also, looking at good recommended books in this thread never helps.

I'm about 240 pages into The Terror by Dan Simmons. I'm actually shocked at how much I like it. I've read several of his books, but nothing of the quality (out side of maybe Drood) of this book. It has great characters, plotting, and just wonderful writing.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Before+They+Are+Hanged.jpg

ughhhhh i just want to finish this book so i can move on. the story is fun, the characters are OK and the action scenes are well written but GAF hype failed me here. i'm 300 pages in and i don't want to take a break because i know i'll never return to it.

next up:

1210687570n24414.jpg
FablesPeterandMax.jpg

movie_club

Im reading THIS The Road

51CQBWR851L._SS500_.jpg

The narrative parts i find very interesting, the "Action" and description parts are boring, oh well for a class.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I'm reading for Whom the Bell Tolls. Awesome communist propaganda that shows just how fucked that thinking was back in the 20's. It's still a great book, but it reinforces my belief that capitalism is the best thing that's ever happened to man.

Chris R

Thinking of starting to read the entire WoT series as I only have ever read the first 3 books (and books 2 and 3 came ~4 years after reading the first book for a book review in High School)

Gonna hit up my library and see if I can't grab book 1 tomorrow (odds are it will be checked out :| )

GRRM needs to hurry up and finish ADWD since I just did a reread of the series up to now over the last month :(

Salazar

Bruce Beresford's 'Josh Hartnett Really Wants to Do This' - diaries of a moderately renowned Australian director. Good largely for the laconic appearances of Barry Humphries.

David Remnick's 'Reporting' - collection of New Yorker essays. Damned fine.

Robert.A. Heinlein's 'For Us, The Living' - only just started it, but it seems awfully good. First thing of his I've read.

I'm close to done with American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. Holy hell; this book is an emotional rollercoaster in that it goes from disgusting to grotesque to unfathomable and travels in between them. I love it, though; it's one of the best books that I've ever read.

Top Bottom