• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 09)

Currently reading for the first time:

059306173X.jpg

Re-reading:

Watershipdown-1.jpg

Will read:

BadScience-1.png

Cohsae

Currently reading:
blood-meridian3.jpg

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

Purchased and waiting to be read:
a_game_of_thrones_book_cover.jpg

A Game of Thrones by George Martin
the-walking-dead-book-3-bk.-3-walking-dead--b_2511501vb.png

Walking Dead Hardcover #3
img3207.jpg

Transmetropolitan TP #1

Fireblend

Banned
After reading The Zombie Survival Guide and American Gods in September, I'm halfway through:

lolita.jpg

Will read Norwegian Wood next, most likely. It will be my second Murakami book(after The Wind-Up Bird..) and I've got high expectations about it :D
norwegian_wood.large.jpg

Also got this on the backlog, but I'm trying to save it for christmas:
Todd_House_of_leaves.jpg

Kurtofan

I have just finished The amazing Maurice and his educated rodents by Terry Pratchett and Gilgamesh by...we don't know lol

and now I'm re-reading some short stories of Lovecraft:I have re-read the call of Cthulu and I'm re-reading the colour out of space

Great great stuff!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Currently:

120pca9.jpg

2819f06.jpg

Having just seen the awe-inspiring BBC/David Attenborough programme on evolution and Darwin, I am very much in the humour for Dawkin's latest next.

Wes

venison crêpe
Just because.
qnsq5t.jpg

Due to the GAF thread. Looking forward to it.
33uwkd5.jpg

Flicking through this again.
2vttq94.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
BladeItself752023.jpg

About 50 pages from the end of this - it really picked up during the last 100 pages or so. I don't think I'll read the second book right away unless there is some crazy cliffhanger. I want to read something better / classic.

Cohsae said:
img3207.jpg

Transmetropolitan TP #1

first time reading this? you're in a for an awesome ride - i just finished TP #7 (of 11) and it's been incredible. one of the best comics ever written.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
im reading a game of thrones. fuck it's good. WHO IS THE BAD PEOPLE?! don't tell me, it's just great that you don't really know who are nice and who are rotten 200 pages in.

Corum

70xtmh.png

I'm about half way through, the shits hitting the fan left, right and centre. Great series, it's so unpredictably tragic.

hiryu

I've been in the dumps lately and want to read some inspirational stuff. Does anyone have any non-fiction recommendations that deal with someone overcoming great difficulties to succeed, such as, survivor stories. I prefer stories of physical triumphs but I wouldn't overlook social, emotional, or mental stories either.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Finished these two recently:

palahniuk-snuff.jpg

Chuck Palahniuk - Snuff (it was meh, I can barely get into his books)

41OZ2EhyWtL.jpg

Yevgeny Zamyatin - We (I liked it better than Brave New World, but not as much as 1984)

Working my way through this one:
we-need-to-talk-about-kevin.jpg

Lionel Shriver - We Need to Talk About Kevin (liking the style so far, but a bit too early to make impressions)

movie_club

Skittleguy said:
41OZ2EhyWtL.jpg

Yevgeny Zamyatin - We (I liked it better than Brave New World, but not as much as 1984)
Just finished that last week. I thought it was great but i had to power read it for a class and it was hard to follow at some points. I was also disappointed in how similar it was to 1984. I thought Orwell was being original....

movie_club

All for class...

Just finished:
handmaids-tale.jpg

I liked it alot but i thought the other book i read by Atwood, The blind Assassin, was soo much better. Looking forward to eventually checking out her newer dystopian novel Oryx and Crake

Starting:
PKD_DO_ANDROIDS.jpg

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I am reading Reeds and Mud by Vicente Blasco Ibanez. It's pretty good so far, let me give you a quote from the beginning of the book, where everyone in town is very poor and starving to death:

"Everybody knew what was wrong with "Cañamel. He had the sickness of the rich. One had only to observe his belly, his red face and his eyes, the latter smothered in layers of fat. We should have his worries! ...Without letting go of Neleta and moaning weakly, Cañamel placed one foot inside the boat. He grumbled in criticism of those who minimized the seriousness of his illness."

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It was technically September, but after wrapping up The Road, I zippsed through Never Let Me Go pretty quickly:

51RVCCSWE4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I had mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, Ishiguro clearly had a very specific plan with this book, and he executed on it masterfully. It's amazing how layered the entire thing is, so that when you finally find out what's "going on" it's still like a bomb was dropped, even though you sort-of knew the whole time. Same as the characters themselves, I guess.

But all that masterwork being said, the novel is still largely about a group of catty girls at a boarding school. So... not really my thing. It was a nice change of pace from The Road and the fantasy trilogy I read before that, though.

Up next for Oct... I really don't know. I counted, and I have TWENTY TWO unread books on my bookshelf. And yet all the stuff I wanna read most I don't own (Lies of Locke Lamora, The Blade Itself, Dresden Files). I'll most likely be doing American Gods next:

67f9419328a0319b8ea8e110.L.jpg

thomaser

Finished Cormac McCarthy's Border trilogy at last. The third book, "Cities of the Plain", was perhaps not as memorable as the first two, but still had several very intense moments. The dog chase, the knife fight... A truly great trilogy, that's for sure, and I will definitely read more McCarthy after this.

Now, "Emma" by Jane Austen - the fourth of seven books in my complete edition of her novels. Emma is her best main character so far. The others were way too perfect and virtuous.

After that, I'm going to start on the Illuminatus! trilogy... really looking forward to it! Few things beat a good conspiracy theory.

Akia

33uwkd5.jpg

I'm almost done with it. I'ts the first fantasy novel I've read. Shit is hitting the fan so hard.

Mifune

Mehmber
22320.jpg

I often find that, Sprawl Trilogy aside, Gibson's plots are really weak when compared to his ideas and settings. 60 pages into this one, and the plot is barely a blip on the radar. So...so far so good. It's surprisingly funny, too.

ultron87

martin_ack.jpg

About 100 pages in. Really great so far. Takes the hand off of excellence from the first one and keeps on running with it.

After this I'm gonna read:

0553380966.jpg

For any of you who haven't read American Gods yet and are going to be, I suggest you savor it. Read it slower than usual and take in the atmosphere the book has to offer. I re-read this last month and it was much better the second time (and I loved it the first time) because I took the time to read it slowly and get all the detail.

As for me, I'm starting on:

Haruki_murakami_a_wild_sheep_chase_9780375718946.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to read next, but I'm LOVING Murakami thus far.

soultron

Banned
The Walking Dead Vol.10 "What We Become" (cover has spoilers.)

DMZ Vol.4 "Friendly Fire"
dmz.jpg

A Drifting Life (800+ pagessssssssssss!)
a-drifting-life1.jpg

Northlanders Vol.1 "Sven The Returned"
JUL080221.jpg

Haven't really started the last three due to being so busy with school lately. I wish I had some time to read actual books because I just read about 50 pages of William Gibson's IDORU before school started ramping up.

GDJustin said:
Up next for Oct... I really don't know. I counted, and I have TWENTY TWO unread books on my bookshelf. And yet all the stuff I wanna read most I don't own (Lies of Locke Lamora, The Blade Itself, Dresden Files). I'll most likely be doing American Gods next:

67f9419328a0319b8ea8e110.L.jpg
Ha! I just finished that book this morning, and I got it on a complete whim from the library last Saturday. The book has a strong first 2/3 where things are thrown at you and it's left to you to figure it out and then in the last 1/3 everything starts getting spelled out a bit more. I was a little disappointed in that but the idea is so fresh (to me, at least) that I could overlook it. Wonderful book though.

Up next is, oddly enough, a Dresden book: White Knight

White_night.jpg

I need to read Neuromancer and Snow Crash again. I only just read them last year and they were both great. Matrix lite, sure, but then they both came first.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i need something to read after i'm done with the blade itself. no more fantasy, i've come to the realization that GRRM does it best and i don't have a tolerance for much more than that. i will go read Gene Wolfe later but for now i want a classic.

what should i read next:

The Brothers Karamazov
The Old Man and the Sea
East of Eden
Catch-22

or some other 'classic' that i MUST read?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
deepeconomy.jpg

Was not a fan of one of his previous books titled "The Age of Missing Information", but this one is a great read. Does more stuff equate to more happiness? McKibben argues it does, up to a certain point, but we've passed that point in Western society. A very good non-fiction recommendation.

Crye

2h5jk79.jpg

Read a few of this guys other books (Gaunt's Ghosts), and he doesn't disappoint.
This one is from the perspective of Gregor Eisenhorn, an Imperial Inquisitor.

jon bones said:
i need something to read after i'm done with the blade itself. no more fantasy, i've come to the realization that GRRM does it best and i don't have a tolerance for much more than that. i will go read Gene Wolfe later but for now i want a classic.

what should i read next:

The Brothers Karamazov
The Old Man and the Sea
East of Eden
Catch-22

The Stranger by Albert Camus, translated by Matthew Ward (unless you are fluent in French, of course).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
nqebf4.jpg

Short stories from various authors based on During and Post Apocalyptic scenarios. I love the lead in message....

What is it that draws us to those bleak landscapes - the wastelands of post-apocalyptic literature? To me, the appeal is obvious: it fulfills our taste for adventure, the thrill of discovery, the desire for a new frontier. It also allows us to start over from scratch, to wipe the slate clean and see what the world may have been like if we had known then what we know now.

Perhaps the appeal of the sub-genre is best described by this quote from "The Manhattan Phone Book (Abridge)" by John Varley:

We all love after-the-bom stores. If we didn't, why would there be so many of them? There's something attractive about all those people being gone, about wandering in a depopulated world, scrounging cans of Campbell's pork and beans, defending one's family from marauders. Sure it's horrible, sure we weep for all those dead people. But some secret part of us thinks it would be good to survive, to start over. Secretly, we know we'll survive. All those other folds will die, That's what after-the-bomb stores are all about.

Alucard

Banned
My lazy response...

neuromancer.jpg

100 pages in and about to start Part III of the book. I -still- don't know what the heck is going on, who the characters are, or anything. Frustrated and confused. I'll do some extra reading once I finish this, to help me understand the plot and themes. Right now, I just don't get it.

imgA%20Clash%20of%20Kings2.jpg

Read Game of Thrones a week or so ago in anticipation of the HBO series and I can't help but to read through the rest of the series twice. With Dragons not launching until probably this summer I may end up reading this series three times if I finish Feast before spring :lol.

I'm really intrigued about this one. I initially said that it starts off a bit slow and then is every bit as good as Thrones later but so far it's starting out really well for me. Love this series...its amazing.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
waj9ci.jpg

La pierre et le sabre

The french translation of the book "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa.

CiSTM

Banned
Fireblend said:
Will read Norwegian Wood next, most likely. It will be my second Murakami book(after The Wind-Up Bird..) and I've got high expectations about it :D
norwegian_wood.large.jpg
You did the same mistake as I ;) I read Wind-Up Bird first and it sets bar too high imo. Nothing wrong with Murakami's other books but I just think they don't even come close to wind-up bird. Murakam's new book and Kafka on the shore are the only books I haven't read from him.

Salazar

'The Henry Root Letters' by Henry Root (in fact, William Donaldson). Terrific satire on Thatcher's Britain.

'Flight of the Renshai' by Mickey Zucker Reichert. New book in an excellent Norse fantasy series.

'Nor Shall My Sword' by F.R Leavis. Caustic essays on literature and culture.

'Paper Tigers' by Nicholas Coleridge. An old biographical/journalistic study of the major newspaper barons of the day (Maxwell, Murdoch, the Sulzbergers).

newsguy

WTF, it's the month od ASOIAF. I'm still reading:

n272613.jpg

I am such a slow reader, I drop it for weeks and only read in small chunks.

jon bones said:

what should i read next:

The Brothers Karamazov
The Old Man and the Sea
East of Eden
Catch-22

Catch-22, one of my favourite books(also the Malazan book of the Fallen is good fantasy with the advantage that Erikson will finish his series on time)

As for me I'm still working my way through David Foster Wallace's work, just finished A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again,:
x7569.jpg

Fernando's Autobiography:
w0l347.jpg

& this was in September but as I didn't know that he had a new book out I thought I'd post it here:
n292063.jpg

Cool thriller/ detective story but if you haven't read any Winslow read Power of the Dog, its about Mexican drug-runners , DEA agents, the CIA & a kind of love story jammed in there too, highly recommended.

I've only been reading business books lately. I finished three books the last month and almost done with the fourth. The following two were the best:

World Wide Rave - for David Meerman Scott

One of the best business books I've read. I can't recommend it enough for anyone who's interested in online marketing. This book gave me the confidence to quit the corporate world and pursue my own thing.

The New Rules of Marketing & PR - also by David Meerman Scott

Another great book on online marketing by the same author. I didn't like it as much as World Wide Rave, if only because he repeats the same advice over and over in different chapters which got annoying. Still a great book and highly recommended if you're running any kind of business or organization.

David, if you're reading this (which I suspect you might), then please accept my heartfelt gratitude for all the knowledge and advice I got from your books. You rule!

Top Bottom