• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 09)

bladeitself.jpg

Well, without the cover, since it's my first book on my ereader.

Salazar

Zachary Leader's immense, unsparing biography 'The Life of Kingsley Amis'. Bargain from a second-hand bookstore, and especially good read to complement Martin's (more acute but less ordered) memoir 'Experience'.

About to buy a Kindle, and goodness knows what along with it.

ilikeme

My Name Is Luke said:
About to start Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte for my AP English class. Judging from the size of the book, this will be fun :/.
Listen to the song while reading, and be sure to read any notes about the sisters and the story behind the writing and publishing of the work.. was to me more interesting than the actual book. But it's still a good book, and interesting particularly in context of the time it was written in.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Just finishing the Black Company books from the south and about to start

51uwrBaBarL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Finished Unseen Academicals. While it may not be Pratchett's best work, I would definitely place it in the upper half of the Discworld series.

That said, something did feel off about the work. I'm not entirely sure where it comes from, but I'm certain it does not come from the new characters, the changes to the old characters, or how the world was expanded upon. All of which was absolutely excellent.

The only cons to the book that I can think of are (Minor Spoilers ahead)
that I wish the Discworld version of football had been a little bit more focused upon and that Glenda could become a bit aggravating at times (But only at times).

Other than those issues and the narrative feeling just slightly off, Unseen Academicals is grand entry to the series.

jason10mm said:
I'm reading "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet.

Pretty damned good. His use of the language isn't all that inspired and his characters are a bit cardboard, but a few are genius and he does dialogue very well. Lots of good twists and turns and the medieval setting is used very, very well.
Pretty much mirrors my feelings on it. I hated the character of Ellen for pretty much being a one-trick pony with no complexity or human emotion about her apart from being anachronistic. World Without End is heaps better in this regard.

crowphoenix said:
Finished Unseen Academicals. While it may not be Pratchett's best work, I would definitely place it in the upper half of the Discworld series.

That said, something did feel off about the work. I'm not entirely sure where it comes from, but I'm certain it does not come from the new characters, the changes to the old characters, or how the world was expanded upon. All of which was absolutely excellent.

The only cons to the book that I can think of are (Minor Spoilers ahead)
that I wish the Discworld version of football had been a little bit more focused upon and that Glenda could become a bit aggravating at times (But only at times).

Other than those issues and the narrative feeling just slightly off, Unseen Academicals is grand entry to the series.
I had a choice between this, Nation and Folklore of Discworld. I'll have to pick it up soon.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Someone mind telling me which version of Dante's Inferno is the best to buy? I wanna read a copy of it, but there are too many versions to choose from

shintoki said:
Someone mind telling me which version of Dante's Inferno is the best to buy? I wanna read a copy of it, but there are too many versions to choose from

With translations of poetry there is usually no one "best" version. It all depends on what you want to get out of the book and what kind of poetry you like. Go to a library or bookstore and read the first little bit of a bunch of editions until you find one that clicks with you. If accuracy is a concern, get one with good annotations, since there will always be a lot of fine details that you simply can't get through in a simple translation.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Read the Greatest Show On Earth last month when it came out. Really great, really fascinating and Dawkins breaks it down real smooth like.

Dan said:

This looks good. I'm into classic sci-fi right now (lmao - never ever thought I could see myself reading this genre) and started it with Dune last month. Holy Godamm that was good.

Currently I'm reading:

Issac_Asimov_Foundation.jpg

And then onto:

endersgame.jpg

I'm also in the middle of this one as well:

Carl%2BSagan-The%2BDemon-Haunted%2BWorld-Science%2Bas%2Ba%2BCandle%2Bin%2Bthe%2BDark.jpg

Which has been really great.

vegee said:
I have this book, but I just couldn't get into it. I thought the quality of writing was subpar compared to what I had just read...really bothered me.

I completely understand where you are coming from. However, the book really picks up and clicked for me at 75% and i became hooked. The first book only hints at what the other two books offer. I was on vacation and yet absolutely glued to the second and third books. It seriously gets pretty epic and the characters grow on you much better. I compel you to give it another chance.

EDIT: Im talking about the Night Angel Trilogy

Salazar

Just finished 'The Damned United', David Peace's novel about Brian Clough's managerial spells at Derby and Leeds.

It is utterly wonderful, indubitably the best football book in existence. It's like 'Fever Pitch' from a psychopathic point of view. Peace's Clough is a biblical figure, raging, vengeful, coarse, obsessed.

posting my thoughts from the H2G2 thread about the new book:
RE: the newest book, it's alright. I mean, the Guide could have had a smaller voice, seeing as it had no voice at in the previous books. I imagine he took that from the movie? At any rate, I kept expecting the guide
bird
to be the one doing all of the asides, even though it was
written out
in the first chapter.

Speaking of voices: there were too many, I think. I felt that there were too many people we were supposed to get to know in the book, several of whom weren't even proberly introduced until after already having a chapter or two written about them.

The whole
God search
was both well written and poorly executed, but I blame that on my having just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. The well written part is because of which ones showed up, and the poor execution is actually the same: because of which ones showed up. I just think that the ideas that were present in AG were so fresh that they clouded my ability to interpret the ideas in this book in their own universe.

Finished reading Nation by Terry Pratchett. It was really good - in fact, one of his best. One thing that did annoy me, however, was how schizophrenic it was. One minute, it'd be about the nature of identity and the next, it'd be a very preachy rant about atheism.

It was set in a "parallel universe" of Earth in the 19th century. One of the central themes in it was the conflict between science and religion and he'd namedrop scientists like Newton, Darwin and at one point, Sagan and Dawkins, characterising the Royal Society at the time as a bunch of heroic atheists pushing away the oppressive darkness of religion and so forth. Thing is, if you went back to that era, most scientists would have been religious as a matter of course and the proportion who weren't wouldn't have been bigger than any other group populated by the wealthy and educated.

It seemed very overdone and was at times jarring next to the other big theme of the book - folklore, tradition and custom and how they tie into one's identity and actions. It's like one minute, you get a very entertaining passage where cultural misunderstandings between the characters, an heroic action or a strange custom/ceremony lead you to understand more about your own culture and the next minute, Mau is having ranting arguments with an arsehole priest.

Same thing happened in Science of Discworld 3: Darwin's Watch though in that case to a far greater extent and to the great detriment of the material. Luckily, the image of the big bad religious bogeyman holding humanity down didn't take over Nation the same way it did SoD3:DW.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
1._The_Fellowship_of_the_Ring.front.jpg

Not my first time reading it, but my first time enjoying it. I read it when I was like 14-15 and had to force myself to read it. It was good, but a bit dry for me as a teenager. Reading it again and am absolutely loving it this time around. Such an amazing book.

Salazar

David Crystal's 'Just a Phrase I'm Going Through' - memoir of his career as a linguist. Begins more intriguingly and humorously than it becomes near its end, but good in general.

Rick Gekoski's 'Tolkien's Gown' - Collection of anecdotes about book collecting and book trading. Damned fine. Man has led a wonderful life. Salinger really is an asshole, as were Pinter and William Golding.

Anthony Grafton's 'Worlds Made by Words: Scholarship and Community in the Modern West' - Terrifically learned, especially on the sense in which the phrase Republic of Letters has a literal turn: Renaissance academics used to post like fucking demons. Fine stories, too, like Justus Lipsius reciting Tacitus from memory, with a dagger pressed to his throat to be plunged in if he made a mistake.

Currently reading River of Gods by Ian MacDonald on GAF's reccomendation - i'd previousley read Brasyl and while I enjoyed it for the most part I felt it didn't live up to the hype ascribed to it, but GAF assured me that River of Gods is the far superior book and so far I agree.

Also, recently read Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett, not one of his best but an enjoyable Discworld all the same. I'm hankering for a new Rincewind novel, it seems like alot of his recent Discworld books deal with parralels between the Discworld and our own world, but i'd just like another crazy Rincewind adventure. At least there's another Tiffany Aching book to look forward to.

Finally, I also read The Dwarves by Markus Heitz, while i'm not the biggest fan of high fantasy I thoroughly enjoyed this book, the story is expertly told with some great characterisation.

CiSTM

Banned
Can someone recommend me good book about pirates ? Both fiction and non-fiction will do. I have already read Treasure Island, A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pirates, Cup of Gold and True Adventures of Pirates.

CiSTM

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
Batman: Year One and The Given Day by Dennis Lehane.

Have you read Batman: Dark Knight Returns ? If you have then in your opinion how did it compare with Year One ?

Salazar

CiSTM said:
Can someone recommend me good book about pirates ? Both fiction and non-fiction will do. I have already read Treasure Island, A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pirates, Cup of Gold and True Adventures of Pirates.

You should read this. It has a stronger parodic sensibility than his Flashman books (which is saying a lot). You might also like 'Flash for Freedom', although that is about slavers rather than pirates.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyrates-Swashbuckling-Comic-Creator-Flashman/dp/1585748005

This is also essential. I picked it up second-hand a few years ago, and it is inexhaustibly interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Brigands-Buccaneers-Privateers-Fiction/dp/030680722X

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
CiSTM said:
Have you read Batman: Dark Knight Returns ? If you have then in your opinion how did it compare with Year One ?

I thought the Dark Knight Returns was good and so far I think Year One is pretty great too.

CiSTM

Banned
Salazar said:
You should read this. It has a stronger parodic sensibility than his Flashman books (which is saying a lot). You might also like 'Flash for Freedom', although that is about slavers rather than pirates.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyrates-Swashbuckling-Comic-Creator-Flashman/dp/1585748005

This is also essential. I picked it up second-hand a few years ago, and it is inexhaustibly interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Brigands-Buccaneers-Privateers-Fiction/dp/030680722X

I'm getting both :) Pyrates especially sounded great and I checked out some reviews of Pirates!: Brigands, Buccaneers, And Privateers In Fact, Fiction, And Legend and it sounded like it would be nice little info packet.

104go6s.jpg

Slowly. It's perfect since I just finished reading Absolute Sandman I-IV and Sandman: Dream Hunters. I'll be reading Sandman: Endless Nights and King of Dreams after this.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
220 pages in the 'Unbearable lightness of being' by milan kundra
Very different from what i expected. (i watched the film prior) the novel has the feel of a philosophical novel, with the author using the storyline and characters as a backdrop, to express various philosophical ideals.
The prose is excellent too, the opening is one of my favorite openings in a novel.
However i feel as though, i'm missing half the meaning of the novel, i can understand the 'lightness / weight" motif. (which is what is drawing me in right now), but all the political themes feel so foreign to me.

kmfdmpig

ihateyourhat said:
About to start:

400000000000000041939_s4.jpg

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson

At 1150 pages, it'll be interesting to see how long it takes me to finish this monster since I typically only read before bed.

You are in for a treat. That is one of my favorite books. Not only is the story great (like most of Neal Stephenson's books, but the writing is superb. There were sentences where I would read them and then think to myself "wow, what a great way to say that". Don Delillo is the only other living writer that has caused me to do that.

seal_club

Neo Member
i read about 150 pages of this

Microserfs.jpg

it's about a bunch of nerds who work for windows in the 90s. not only is it outdated, it's unconvincing. these dudes are somehow bored of the internet and annoyed about hearing people talk about it. an attempt to act jaded by the single most awesome thing that was happening at the time in order to seem aloof and hip, i don't even know. it annoyed me enough that i abandoned it.

just started this last night

mother_night.large.jpg

wooooo! GIMME THE SUGAR KURT. [much better]

I've just finished this:

chrisevans.png

Which was pretty good and took me back to the days when I use to watch the Big Breakfast show in the mornings before school. It also got me reading this:

richardbranson.jpg

Which I've just started and it has been quite interesting so far. And currently I'm just flipping through this book which I borrowed from the library yesterday:

superfreakonomics.jpg

ymmv

Banned
CiSTM said:

Tim Powers - On Stranger Tides

on-stranger-tides-by-tim-powers.jpg

This book has undoubtedly been the inspiration for the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Edit: After linking the Wikipedia entry I read this: "On September 11, 2009, Disney announced that in the summer of 2011, the fourth installment of the wildly popular Pirates of the Caribbean series would be entitled Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. The announcement has fueled speculation that the movie will follow the plot of the novel, with Jack Sparrow replacing Jack Shandy as the story's protagonist,[4] especially as Powers sold the film rights for the novel to Disney"

YES! YES! YES!

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Finished reading Nation by Terry Pratchett. It was really good - in fact, one of his best. One thing that did annoy me, however, was how schizophrenic it was. One minute, it'd be about the nature of identity and the next, it'd be a very preachy rant about atheism.

It was set in a "parallel universe" of Earth in the 19th century. One of the central themes in it was the conflict between science and religion and he'd namedrop scientists like Newton, Darwin and at one point, Sagan and Dawkins, characterising the Royal Society at the time as a bunch of heroic atheists pushing away the oppressive darkness of religion and so forth. Thing is, if you went back to that era, most scientists would have been religious as a matter of course and the proportion who weren't wouldn't have been bigger than any other group populated by the wealthy and educated.

It seemed very overdone and was at times jarring next to the other big theme of the book - folklore, tradition and custom and how they tie into one's identity and actions. It's like one minute, you get a very entertaining passage where cultural misunderstandings between the characters, an heroic action or a strange custom/ceremony lead you to understand more about your own culture and the next minute, Mau is having ranting arguments with an arsehole priest.

Same thing happened in Science of Discworld 3: Darwin's Watch though in that case to a far greater extent and to the great detriment of the material. Luckily, the image of the big bad religious bogeyman holding humanity down didn't take over Nation the same way it did SoD3:DW.
I really need to pick this up. I'm annoyed that my bookstore doesn't carry any of Pratchett's stuff beyond the Discworld books.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
CiSTM said:

I'd recommend Rafael Sabatini's Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk

I believe they're both available for free on Project Gutenberg

CiSTM

Banned
ymmv said:
Tim Powers - On Stranger Tides

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/on-stranger-tides-by-tim-powers.jpg[IMG]

This book has undoubtedly been the inspiration for the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
[/QUOTE]

I have always wanted to read this book but couldn't remember the name so big thanks for you <3

[QUOTE=Verdre]I'd recommend Rafael Sabatini's [B]Captain Blood[/B] and [B]The Sea Hawk[/B]

I believe they're both available for free on Project Gutenberg[/QUOTE]

Last books I will get.

Thank you all for the recommends and I believe books mentioned here will keep me occupied for the next month.

kmfdmpig said:
You are in for a treat. That is one of my favorite books. Not only is the story great (like most of Neal Stephenson's books, but the writing is superb. There were sentences where I would read them and then think to myself "wow, what a great way to say that". Don Delillo is the only other living writer that has caused me to do that.
I'm about 400 pages in, and, so far, I'm really enjoying it. The discussion on the mathematics behind Turing's bicycle chain falling off was a lot of fun to read. When I started that section, I saw the equations and prepared myself to brute force my way through the pages, but I was stunned when I found out just how compelling his explanation was. The "modern day" sections do drag a bit for me. Too many business meetings and discussion of technology that seems like it should belong on a top 10 worst ideas ever list. Also, the argument about the internet at the dinner party was pretty bad. Although, to be honest, I usually hate specific technologies mentioned in books and movies. This is the first book I've read of his, and unless things go downhill from here, I'll be picking up his other work.

Magni

Gonna get some books on Amazon for the winter, I'm hesitating between the Dune, Foundation, and A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Which would you guys recommend?

MagniHarvald said:
Gonna get some books on Amazon for the winter, I'm hesitating between the Dune, Foundation, and A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Which would you guys recommend?

You must read Dune at least. It's a masterpiece.

I'm reading Endyimon by Dan Simmons and then hopefully I'll move into The Rise of Endyimion. Actually, those books are being put on hold as I have two collection of stories from Poe and Lovecraft to read over this weekend.

Top Bottom