• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your expectations for Horizon Zero Dawn?

cordy

Banned
At least be an 8/10 game. Anything better is a + to me.

If it's that I'm cool. Not really looking into anything else, haven't been paying attention to anything besides official trailer videos or E3 gameplay trailers. I'm fine.

These posts tho....why is everyone so down on the story?

Because in the recent trailer they've just shown off the villain and within two seconds you can tell he's not interesting in the slightest. The Story Trailer did little to alleviate my concern with the narrative. But it did elevate my hype for the gameplay in one segment.

I can tell Aloy's going to be a fine character. She's a character I want to play as, someone who's genuinely inquisitive about the world and finds it just as cool and weird as the player does.

120v

i'm not expecting much on the story front simply because even the best AAA games these days (especially open world) just sort of take you through the motions. world building looks cool but i'd be surprised if the plot veers much beyond defeating some big bad that harnesses the dino robo tech or whatever they end up calling it

It's always looked like a generic AAA Ubisoft-style game to me (I've been critical since its very first reveal). So, I'm not expecting much, everything I've seen doesn't click with me and actively goes against everything I want to see in games.

/edit: to elaborate a little bit: I don't think the game is going to be bad, it just looks to be very focus-tested. It's gonna play exacty the way you expect it to play. It looks good from a technical standpoint, but has very little actual personality in its art; it's playing it safe in every regard. And that to me is not what I want from games. I want games to be bold enough to go to extremes. I don;t want to see the same safe game over and over again, trhat's boring, I want to see something new, or even something not new, but evocative. No one can say Nioh isn;t a Souls rip-off, it totally is., but it's a good rip-off of a type of game we don't really see that much. That's much more interesting to me than a cookie-cutter, solid, dime-a-dozen game like Horzion looks like to me.

I like this post especially with the Nioh analogy. It's understandable that some gamers want more unique experiences and mechanics in their games.

TitusTroy

I still think a lot of people haven't even heard of this game...Sony wants this to be the next Uncharted but I think they need to temper their expectations...maybe because it's a new ip but the game is not getting a lot of hype from non-hardcore gamers

Floody

I still think a lot of people haven't even heard of this game...Sony wants this to be the next Uncharted but I think they need to temper their expectations...maybe because it's a new ip but the game is not getting a lot of hype from non-hardcore gamers

It's been sitting high on Amazon's best sellers for awhile now, it has a lot of hype, especially for a new I.P with some incredibly popular competition. It's probably just you've not been paying it much attention, like I haven't seen much hype for Zelda or Mass Effect, but that's because I'm not looking for it, not because there isn't any.

edit: Also, Sony are likely to step up the marketing massively a week or so from release, it's in a great spot to be a big success.

Skux

Because in the recent trailer they've just shown off the villain and within two seconds you can tell he's not interesting in the slightest. The Story Trailer did little to alleviate my concern with the narrative. But it did elevate my hype for the gameplay in one segment.

I can tell Aloy's going to be a fine character. She's a character I want to play as, someone who's genuinely inquisitive about the world and finds it just as cool and weird as the player does.

You can tell a villain is going to be interesting from three seconds of screen time? They might not even be the main villain.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
First Week sell through >2.5M, call it

OldMan

Banned
GG has a fresh new start to tell a story and the engine is supposed to be excellent plus I head Kojima is using it for one of his projects. Trailers look great too. I'm all in with Horizon.

LotusHD

Banned
Anyone turned off by the machinery ?

I am just not a huge mech guy so I amnot crazy about fighting nothing but mechs.

There's humans to fight as well. But yea, probably going to be mostly mechs. I think they look pretty damn cool to fight against though.

You can tell a villain is going to be interesting from three seconds of screen time? They might not even be the main villain.

How you present a villain's character matters a lot. They could not be the main villain but they're still a villain. In this case, the villain is a person, they could have interesting motivations but the way they showed him made him seem like a worse version of Scolar Visari. I hope there's more to his speech but Horizon's world doesn't seem nearly as morally Grey as Killzone's World did which puts a damper on my confidence.

Floody

Anyone turned off by the machinery ?

I am just not a huge mech guy so I amnot crazy about fighting nothing but mechs.

It's one of the biggest reasons I'm excited for it, you having to chip away at vital parts to beat them and in some cases can use the pieces you knock off against them.
If it isn't your thing though I'd probably skip it, there's human and actual organic wildlife to kill, but I think the mechs are going to be where the real focus went.

Gudji

How you present a villain's character matters a lot. They could not be the main villain but they're still a villain. In this case, the villain is a person, they could have interesting motivations but the way they showed him made him seem like a worse version of Scolar Visari. I hope there's more to his speech but Horizon's world doesn't seem nearly as morally Grey as Killzone's World did which puts a damper on my confidence.

Yes, it matters a lot... in the game not the trailer. In fact from all the trailers you only heard a couple of lines of dialogue and a single cutscene with him. Glad you can make that judgement based on that.

nachum00

A pretty game with repetitive gameplay and a paint-by-numbers open world.

And I'm expecting a story that thinks it's far better than it actually is.

Top Bottom