• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what are your hopes and expectations for a "The Evil Within" sequel?

myco666

To add on that Autoignition story recap, you can get all of it from the main game except for what happened to Myra. So to everyone saying that the story is locked behind DLC, it isn't.

Bl@de

I loved the first game so I don't have any special wishes. The announcement alone would be fantastic news for me. Well maybe one wish: Make puzzles harder. But that's my wish for all survival horror games.

To add on that Autoignition story recap, you can get all of it from the main game except for what happened to Myra. So to everyone saying that the story is locked behind DLC, it isn't.

And even then, you could work out that Mobius got her somehow. There was never a body; she just went missing. We just didn't know the detail that she'd been flipped until the DLC. She even sends Sebastian a letter that's like, "Hey if you're reading this, yeah, they got me. My bad. Should've told you what I was up to." And that's in the main game.

sphinx

the piano man

was the word Mobius ever mentioned in the main game? I can't remember. All I remember is Ruvik and Jimenez mentioning things about a business/organization in a cryptic way and most of the details related to mobius are left to our imaginations... and then revealed/explored more in the DLC.

but like I said I did miss a lot from the story so I wouldn't be surprised if everything was there

Javier23

Banned
I loved the first one so much that I genuinely wouldn't mind a lazy sequel for this one, though I'm sure it will be more than that.

was the word Mobious ever mentioned in the main game? I can't remember. All I remember is Ruvik and Jimenez mentioning things about a business/organization in a cryptic way and most of the details related to mobious are left to our imaginations... and then revealed/explored more in the DLC.

but like I said I did miss a lot from the story so I wouldn't be surprised if everything was there

You find the name and the company's logo on a lapel pin on a jacket at the end of the game, and then when you go back and re-play it on NG+ you realize that the logo shows up at various other points, too.

Ruvik bitches about Jimenez stealing his work all throughout the main game and bitches about how no one else can have his data, but you're right in that it's not really fleshed out until the DLCs. It's not absent entirely from the main game, though. The main game even has a scene of Jimenez bringing dudes into Ruvik's house to take him and all of his research, as well as an audio file of Ruvik recalling his own death and how it was done in a surgical fashion with a sedative that he, himself, created.

The DLCs filled in some nuance and details, but the main, basic plot points all existed in the base game.

myco666

And even then, you could work out that Mobius got her somehow. There was never a body; she just went missing. We just didn't know the detail that she'd been flipped until the DLC. She even sends Sebastian a letter that's like, "Hey if you're reading this, yeah, they got me. My bad. Should've told you what I was up to." And that's in the main game.

Yup. The game leaves it for the player to put the pieces together but it is all in there.

was the word Mobious ever mentioned in the main game? I can't remember. All I remember is Ruvik and Jimenez mentioning things about a business/organization in a cryptic way and most of the details related to mobious are left to our imaginations... and then revealed/explored more in the DLC.

It is mentioned in the game. It has been awhile since I last played the game so don't remember exactly when it is mentioned but it is. DLC definitely expands on the story and world but it is not needed in order to understand what happens in the game. You also need to read pretty much all notes and listen to all the tapes to get the story and there is one story item you can only get from NG+.

sphinx

the piano man
You find the name and the company's logo on a lapel pin on a jacket at the end of the game, and then when you go back and re-play it on NG+ you realize that the logo shows up at various other points, too.

Ruvik bitches about Jimenez stealing his work all throughout the main game and bitches about how no one else can have his data, but you're right in that it's not really fleshed out until the DLCs. It's not absent entirely from the main game, though. The main game even has a scene of Jimenez bringing dudes into Ruvik's house to take him and all of his research, as well as an audio file of Ruvik recalling his own death and how it was done in a surgical fashion with a sedative that he, himself, created.

yeah I remember that scene, I mean we always know there's a major corporation/business financing things and Ruvik being pissed with them, that's all clear.

why exactly was Mobius there in the first place was never clear until the DLC and even then, it really wasn't very easy to understand (to me...)

A more cohesive plot and atmosphere. I get that its supposed to be jhorror version of inception but even inception kept things focused on the collapsing city environment whereas this felt like a bunch of random areas patched together like a greatest hits compilation or something and then the final boss fight turned info space harrier. Please don't do that again.

Peroroncino

Solid performance, that's a must, other than that? Definitely better aiming camera, that weird zoom on gun in a TPP game didn't really work for me.

-Change up locations and do inceptiony stuff on the fly in gameplay (maybe even control it, ala that one level in Titanfall 2) instead of during cutscenes at the end of levels.
-Tighten up the performance.
-Make the characters have more personality, but more importantly make every cutscene/narrative heavy section skippable.
-obviously tighten up the performance.
-Expand on the glorious combat system but keep things horror heavy as well.
-Focus more on the gothic locations ala the village, church, and mansion. If they're more urban than make it scary like the mannequin factory section.
-More enemies, more weapons.
-Don't make it open world, but more levels like the village and mansion where you have some freedom of how to progress and you have to think about the routes you take.
-better performance, obvi.
-Mikami directing, also obvi.

Hostile_18

Banned
I loved the first one so much that I genuinely wouldn't mind a lazy sequel for this one, though I'm sure it will be more than that.

Yeah same here (just make the black borders optional).

I'd rather a long game with some chapters that arnt as good as others than a short game with all good chapters tbh (none were bad in the original game IMO).

xVodevil

I want less ammo and even more survival, thus it should also be more scary!
It was better than those latter action based RE titles, but still too much shooting in the end...

Get rid of the weird zoom when aiming.

Fix the technical issues.

Have a more consistent theme rather than setting each chapter in a different trope.

Better animations. Fix the jank in general.

Get rid of all the cheap 1 hit kill trial and error parts of the game.

Utilise the environment more. The whole setting enemies on fire with matches and hay was really cool but they underutilised it.

luulubuu

- Better perfomance
- Unreal Engine 4
- Mikami directing
- More goof plot and humour, the original could be too edgy for my taste, something like RE4 would be great; self aware, great combination of action and comedy with some serious stuff
- more combat and weapons
- NOT open world, please
- Keep the horror, even increase it a bit
- A better pacing
- Keep it weird
- exist

That's it

Actually have a throughline.

You know how kids discover the various transition effects in Microsoft PowerPoint and then abuse them like it's a Star Wars prequel? The Evil Within felt like they randomly shuffled around each PowerPoint slide and then abused the transitions between them.

sn00zer

A consistent tone. Felt like the game was just constantly all over the place. Is just a smorgasbord of way to many different horror tropes and really didnt have its own voice.

-MD-

I loved the first game so I don't have any special wishes. The announcement alone would be fantastic news for me. Well maybe one wish: Make puzzles harder. But that's my wish for all survival horror games.

Better puzzles would be a big one for me as well, also a stronger third act.

Zakalwe

Banned
Better pacing.
Better level design.

That's it, really. The game had everything I wanted, but it felt like a chore because the pacing was so drawn out/inconsistent.

Some of the level design was terrible, too.

Oh, and fuck artificially gimping the pistol by not making headshots one hit kills, or at least much more useful. A hole in the head feels less satisfying when it barely has any stopping power on enemies.

sphinx

the piano man
Oh, and fuck artificially gimping the pistol by not making headshots one hit kills, or at least much more useful. A hole in the head feels less satisfying when it barely has any stopping power on enemies.

disagree, that would make all enemies way too easy to kill.

if you want headshots, there's the crossbow or the sniper rifle.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I actually loved that, so i say don't change a thing about that. Headshots could be one-shot kills but you had to be very precise, but the whole point is you couldn't just so easily shoot an enemy in the head and be done with it. The enemies would lose part of their faces, giant craters, and more if you didn't shoot them squarely in the brain.

The way to stop enemies was to shoot their other limbs (arms, legs, etc to stagger them), meanwhile shooting in the head was to try to kill them but it had increased riskiness as if you didn't get a 'brainshot' (this games form of a headshot) they would barely parse, making it a lot riskier. I think this system worked very well for the game and the Haunted were well designed around this system. It helped the game not become too easy and a sort of unique quirk for being a survival-horror game while also survival-action elements. You're not supposed to be easily capping enemies in the head like other action games left and right as the do-all shooting target on the enemy.

sphinx

the piano man
I do want more areas like chapter 2 where it was mostly all stealth-oriented, also that area in chapter 12 (or 13?) in the buildings

going in the dark very slowly getting behind enemies to knife them was very very satisfying.

myco666

Pistol is the second most useful gun in the entire game. Ton of ammo, good for blowing up traps so that enemies get caught in the blast and if you actually upgrade it you can blow up heads almost constantly from headshots.

Dusk Golem

I do want more areas like chapter 2 where it was mostly all stealth-oriented, also that area in chapter 12 (or 13?) in the buildings

going in the dark very slowly getting behind enemies to knife them was very very satisfying.

That's chapter 13 (12 is the bus chapter). Chapter 13 is way up there for me as well, with its big focus on stealth, but it's also helped I think by the design of the area. It reminded me a lot of a Monolith game level, like something you'd see in the first F.E.A.R. or Condemned especially with its run-down apartment feel with a lot of side areas (but told in the method of a stealth game). It was fun to maneuver and slowly descend the apartments, and the boss fight with the Keeper in the meat freezer was incredibly tense.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
They need to focus in on what worked and toss out what didn't. Evil Within was trying to be too many different games to too many different people.

It wanted to be a classic Survival Horror.
It wanted to be a Resident Evil 4 style action horror.
It wanted to be a stealth game.
It wanted to be a boiler plate triple A game of the formula popular at the time with the crafting and the like.

Pick ONE and make that as good as you possibly can.

xrnzaaas

No black bars this time plz. It serves no purpose other than trying to hide the game's poor optimization. At least they removed them in a patch in the first game, not left them for dead (hello The Order).

GunBR

It's wrong if I asked to be more like Resident Evil 4?

I played the first one expecting this and end up extremely disappointed

sphinx

the piano man
well... I just read the E3 Schedule and Preview..

The Evil Within 2 is known to be in development via resumes (and seems to have some kind of online mode).

sigh..let the disappointmentton begin...

seriously, what the fuck has online to do with Evil Within?

online is almost always multiplayer. now somebody please tell: me what the fuck has multiplayer to do with Evil Within? nothing...

man I am pissed.

myco666

Could be coop or some sort of 'invasion' thing like the one in RE6. Could be just totally separate mode like a horde mode or something too.

Dusk Golem

well... I just read the E3 Schedule and Preview..

sigh..let the disappointmentton begin...

seriously, what the fuck has online to do with Evil Within?

online is almost always multiplayer. now somebody please tell: me what the fuck has multiplayer to do with Evil Within? nothing...

man I am pissed.

This has been known for ages and we don't know if it has anything to do with TEW2, what you're responding to is two years old or so when Tango listed some job positions. But we don't specifically know TEW2 is the only project they're working on and online play was supposed to be involved with what was their original project which eventually turned into TEW. It could also be for some side mode or something.

But if it's at E3, we'll know soon enough.

Neff

- Better perfomance
- Unreal Engine 4
- Mikami directing
- More goof plot and humour, the original could be too edgy for my taste, something like RE4 would be great; self aware, great combination of action and comedy with some serious stuff
- more combat and weapons
- NOT open world, please
- Keep the horror, even increase it a bit
- A better pacing
- Keep it weird
- exist

That's it

Sounds good to me.

sphinx

the piano man
I just hope the claim is wrong.

I am sick and tired of seeing every damn IP where you use a gun try to pursue that shit "CoD" dudebro money. aren't there enough MP games out there already?

If it's like Last of Us, It will be fine, but the MP there had absolutely nothing to do with the main game and it was a thing of its own.

if the main campaign remains akin to TEW, it's fine, if they mix things up though, with some online integrated into the main thing then I will be disappointed.

Brhoom

Banned
-Solid performance on all platforms. The state TeW launched was horrible. Even now it's not running all that great on standard hardware outside the PC. Definitely don't need a repeat of that.
-Dobt hide essential story behind DLC. The Kidman DLC basically explaining the entire game being behind a paywall was a dumb move.
- Make the story and settings more solid. By that I mean don't think of locations and events and then try to fit a story around them.
-More focus on what it wants to be. Be a horror game or be an action game. TeW did a worse job trying to combine the two since it went back and forth so much to the point of whiplash.

That would cover it for me personally. I want to like TeW, but that first game has a lot of flaws. I hope a sequel can rectify a lot of my complaints.

Thank you!

Ganondorfo

Do people really want another Evil Within? I prefer Mikami working on an awesome action game like Vanquish with his team instead of making another survival horror game that will be forgotten a week after release...

dlauv

The Evil Down Under sounds like a game too fun for this franchise, but I want "Seb" to track Leslie-Ruvik or "Les-Ruv" to Australia, where Les-Ruv has somehow spliced the real world with the mind world. Mikami can turn this installment into something more like his fun games.

Neff

Do people really want another Evil Within? I prefer Mikami working on an awesome action game like Vanquish with his team instead of making another survival horror game that will be forgotten a week after release...

The first game sold very well. Enough to warrant the sequel which it sounds like is definitely coming, so I'm guessing... probably yes?

I don't know if I'd quite put it up there with Vanquish but it certainly wasn't a forgettable game. Best game of 2014 for me and the first PS4 game I truly loved.

I just hope the claim is wrong.

I am sick and tired of seeing every damn IP where you use a gun try to pursue that shit "CoD" dudebro money. aren't there enough MP games out there already?

If it's like Last of Us, It will be fine, but the MP there had absolutely nothing to do with the main game and it was a thing of its own.

if the main campaign remains akin to TEW, it's fine, if they mix things up though, with some online integrated into the main thing then I will be disappointed.

Personally, I'd be down for Dark Souls-style invasions if our concept of reality is going to get all fucky thanks to STEM bleeding into the characters' consciousnesses at all times. I remember someone asked Mikami if he was going to do that in the first game, and he said that they didn't have the time or means to do it, but it was something he was thinking about. Here's hoping.

THE EVIL WITHIN 2 OR RIOT.

No, but seriously, I would be completely and utterly heartbroken if this game never got a sequel. It would be the heartache of Alan Wake all over again. Couldn't take it. My GOTY 2014.

while a lot of people here don't want an open world sequel, I personally want a more 'journey' style akin to RE4.

Definitely not open world but the jarring jumps in Evil Within took me out of the experience at times.

kc44135

My wishlist for TEW2:

1: No Black Bars. Please.

2: Better performance on all platforms.

3: Better hit detection and more polished mechanics overall. Also, let me crouch and shoot.

4: If Akumu mode returns, it has to be balanced better. Akumu in TEW1 is some bullshit.

5: I'm all for a story that leaves me with some blanks to fill in, but please don't hide the full story behind a DLC paywall, and make me buy a Season Pass just to figure shit out. That's just going to piss people off.

sphinx

the piano man

If you've followed TEW threads you'll see it's a very divisive game, and justifiably so, it has its ups and downs.

Now imagine a game in which all the weaknesses of the first game are sorted out and its strengths are improved,

if that came to happen, that would be game of the generation to me.

Personally, I'd be down for Dark Souls-style invasions if our concept of reality is going to get all fucky thanks to STEM bleeding into the characters' consciousnesses at all times. I remember someone asked Mikami if he was going to do that in the first game, and he said that they didn't have the time or means to do it, but it was something he was thinking about. Here's hoping.

it can go either way with this online thing, it can be incredibly fun or it can be tacked in with microtransactions...maybe I am too pessimistic but well see soon enough.

I just hope that Kiri's report that the dev team is in crunch phase means it's a 2017 title.

that would be an awesome game to put under my christmas tree.

-MD-

It's what I'm most looking forward to at E3 so yeah, I want it.

And the first was hardly forgettable, I played that game for months.

I just want it to be coherent. The first one was so damn convoluted. tweak the controls and camera. More horror. More action. More traps.

Top Bottom