• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your underrated games of the GTA-sandbox genre?

iratA

Getting through Sleeping Dogs atm, and have to say this game deserves a heap more attention than what its getting. It starts off feeling a little generic but the story is really heating up now. Its an ambitious game to be certain and I love the Hong Kong setting. Its a bit rough in places and isn't as polished as some other games in the genre, but its a lot of game and just pure fun. Highly recommended for fans of sandbox games.

canedaddy

Driver: Parallel Lines

Great driving action in a nicely rendered and heavily populated NYC (some folks bitched about there being too much traffic). Out-of-car stuff not quite as good but servicable. The most memorable thing is you start out in 1978 and halfway through you shift to 2006 (I won't spoil why)... everything is different after that, from the city to music to the character's appearance (sadly he loses his trademark mullet) to the menu. It won't make anyone forget GTA but it is very underrated.

Horns

I thought Mafia 2 was pretty amazing. It wasn't exactly as open as a sandbox GTA type as I'd like, but I liked it for what it was.

JBuccCP

I did like smacking the shit out of people in the Godfather game. The city in that one was pretty bland but it was neat how they had your character doing off screen stuff from the movie.

diamount

Banned
I did like smacking the shit out of people in the Godfather game. The city in that one was pretty bland but it was neat how they had your character doing off screen stuff from the movie.

It did get a tad repetitive after a while though. You didn't have a lot of variety outside of extorting shop owners.

bitoriginal

My vote goes to Red Faction Guerilla. Excellent game. First attempt to play it ended in failure. Came back to it years later and put the difficulty on easy, and had a ball.

Oh by far and above The Godfather. Taking over shops and rackets never grew old for me. The unlockables were awesome, the assassination side quests were well done, the melee was solid, getting the best guns was rewarding, and the map was large. So so underappreciated.

Yeah the game was really interesting. Each "zone" of the open world felt large for its time and the climbing mechanics were cool. Never finished it, but I have fond memories.

I loved just exploring the levels and finding side missions, instead of doing the main mission. I actually never finished it because it is too much fun just messing around. I still play it regularly, it also works pretty well in stereo 3D.

Just bought the PSOne version on PSN, which is on sale in the EU, not as good as the PC version, but I hope I will be able to play it on my Vita soon.

Raptomex

Simpsons Hit & Run
Crackdown
The Saboteur
Mercenaries

Crackdown 2, the whole zombie thing really ruins the experience for me and Mercenaries 2....well I don't have to explain.

Top Bottom