• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What did you guys think about the story in Diablo 4 (no spoilers)?

Drizzlehell

Banned
IMO it's a definite step up from Diablo 3, which was an incredibly uninspired and incoherent mess. But the only times when I paid attention to it in D4 was when I reached some key moments in the primary storyline. Those moments hold up thanks to the unveiling mystery and generally well directed cutscenes with great visuals and atmosphere.

As far as the rest of the quests and dialogue goes, however, I found myself clicking through most of it because of how generic it was. I guess part of it is on me because I'm kind of a scatterbrain but I dunno, most of the side content felt very MMO-like, where the only point of the conversation was for the NPC to tell me where to go and what to kill/gather. Not that it was a big deal, though. I'd even say that it was a plus for me because I enjoy games like these the most when I can just go through them on autopilot and put on a podcast in the background, and excessive amounts of dialogue or story in the game would only get in the way, lol.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I've already almost entirely forgotten what happened. Couldn't care less about the plot in a Diablo game honestly.

I remember playing D4. I remember the game ending before Diablo showed up.
Where the F was Diablo? There was some Lillith chick I kept being one step behind. But thats all I remember.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I think Diablo 3 had a better story. Deckard Cain was a much more liked character. Diablo 4's story is just kinda there. Some major characters make stupid decisions you only see in saturday morning cartoons.

Estocolmo

The only bad thing about the game.
A big distraction.
The pre-rendered cut scenes however is cool.
But the so-called-story is impossible to understand.

Atrus

Gold Member
The game tries to set up a multi-part storyline that at first draws you in but then meanders without a proper set up for the rest.

Inarius turned out to be a wimp, who knows what Lilith’s ultimate gambit was other than more power that may or may not have been enough to combat both the High Heavens or Hell.

The main characters all end up being very stupid while our character doesn’t really make any decisions. We play an obedient dog everyone sics onto a target, which we happily do.

Some of the world quests are interesting where they expand on culture and lore but the game is missing a wiki that should interest us more in what we kill and where we are.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ll remember Diablo II and III’s plot. Diablo IV was barely scratching the surface. I think it lost its feeling of fear half way in. It had cool locations like the sanctuary and so forth. The tree was kinda lame. It was like inserting God of War themes just for the hell of it.

Neolombax

Started kinda strong, fizzled off quickly. The ending was honestly meh to me. Kept reading about how cool and mind blowing the last act cutscene was. I was severely disappointed when I finally watched it.

gatti-man

The ending cut scenes were so good I wish I could play them on demand. The story itself was ehhhhhh. I’m sure they are just leaving room for the future.

Corian33

Very strong start, great cutscenes. Falls apart when you have to take the side of the angel who’s a butthole. And you know exactly how it’s going to turn out, but then you have to play like 20 more hours to get on with it.

If we could have chosen to side with Lilith, and it was tied to some kind of meta game mechanic, that would have been interesting.

Last edited:

Comandr

I have about 100 or so hours in D4 across a couple characters and I can genuinely say I remember almost nothing about the story. I remember that it felt like ⅓ of a complete story and that it felt like it was going to be spoon fed to us for years.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
You, The protagonist, get roofied right at the start of the game and feed roses, while being gang raped in a shed, you puke out like a little bitch … that was the moment I realized this is going to be a shitty story.

You can’t emotionally recover from this.

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah was alright. Got my monies worth. Zero interest in the grind after lvl 60 ish. Will be back for the expansion

Barakov

Gold Member
IMO it's a definite step up from Diablo 3, which was an incredibly uninspired and incoherent mess. But the only times when I paid attention to it in D4 was when I reached some key moments in the primary storyline. Those moments hold up thanks to the unveiling mystery and generally well directed cutscenes with great visuals and atmosphere.

As far as the rest of the quests and dialogue goes, however, I found myself clicking through most of it because of how generic it was. I guess part of it is on me because I'm kind of a scatterbrain but I dunno, most of the side content felt very MMO-like, where the only point of the conversation was for the NPC to tell me where to go and what to kill/gather. Not that it was a big deal, though. I'd even say that it was a plus for me because I enjoy games like these the most when I can just go through them on autopilot and put on a podcast in the background, and excessive amounts of dialogue or story in the game would only get in the way, lol.
Fail Just For Laughs GIF

Ozzie666

The name of the game is misleading, because a certain person is missing. Not cool. Ruined a lot of the story for me

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
The only bad thing about the game.
A big distraction.
The pre-rendered cut scenes however is cool.
But the so-called-story is impossible to understand.
Actually, the only thing that confused me is how all of it connected with previous games, if it did at all. I'm not an expert in Diablo lore and only know what was shown in each game, but it seems like they retconned the whole Lilith thing because previous games didn't go into the details of how the Sanctuary was made.

Where the F was Diablo?
I didn't mind that he wasn't there. How many times can you beat the same demon before he stops being intimidating? He kinda lost his allure after three games of growling at you about what a bad motherfucker he is, and then getting punched to death by Some Guy (or Gal).

Top Bottom