• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you hope for and expect from the Breath of the Wild story dungeon DLC?

Cerium

Now that the game has been out for a few weeks and many people have had the chance to explore its vast content, I thought it would be worth starting a discussion about what we might expect from the story and dungeon DLC that will be coming next winter. I have to say that my expectations are rather high now; it seems to me that Nintendo intends for this DLC to be part of a fresh holiday push for the game and consequently it should be pretty significant. Here's what Aonuma said in the announcement:

With this additional content, we'd like to give even seasoned Hyrule explorers something new and fun.

So we're not just talking about an extra dungeon thrown on the map, I'm expecting some kind of new gimmick or novelty around which the expansion will be built. Here are a few directions that they've possibly foreshadowed. This discussion will inevitably contain spoilers for those who are sensitive to that kind of thing, but let's avoid discussing the ending shall we?

Idea 1: Oh, shit, we got tiny people!

captureo9jlc.jpg

So we know that Hidemaro Fujibayashi, the director of both The Minish Cap and Breath of the Wild, apparently likes tiny people. He likes them so much that he wanted to get them into Breath of the Wild but it didn't work out for whatever reason. Because these dudes are small it would be very easy to slot their town and dungeon into the existing world without taking up much space. Link can shrink down and see things from a new perspective. It could be really cool.

Maybe they've got their own tiny divine beast which is a life sized donkey or something. And after you clear the dungeon you get to ride it around at full size. I don't know I'm just spitballing here.

Idea 2: Thor 2: The Dark World

It was A Link to the Past that first introduced this concept to gaming, and as far as I know it's never been done with an open world. This might be something worth its own full blown sequel, but if Nintendo is looking for a way to repurpose parts of the existing world as we know it then they could do worse than to introduce a dark world mechanic. Perhaps they can make it all Lovecraftian and shit and call it the Calamity Dimension where everything looks kind of like this

There's lots of possibilities there.

Idea 3: I think you are now ready, ready to play what happened 100 years ago

I gotta admit, I kind of miss the musical instruments. So why not bring back the musical instrument, especially when the passage of time is so thematically relevant to Breath of the Wild? Let's get the fucking Ocarina and go back 100 years to relive the return of Ganon for ourselves. The Temple of Time is just sitting there on the Great Plateau and seems to be begging to be used in a more meaningful way. It can be our gateway between the present and the past.

Again it was Zelda that introduced the time shift mechanic to gaming, and here we have a perfect opportunity to revisit the concept. Breath of the Wild is perhaps the first Zelda sequel we've had that can actually bring back the Ocarina without having to worry about standing in the shadow of OOT.

Idea 4: Aliens

'Nuff said.

KLoWn

Let's get the fucking Ocarina and go back 100 years to relive the return of Ganon for ourselves.
I'd rather go back 10.000 years and see the guardian army + divine beasts clash with Ganon and his demon army. That'd be fuckin epic.

It would be neat if once you've beaten a shrine, a bunch of thieves and small time bad guys claim it as their hideout, and your mission is to go through and clear them out. Like a superhero or something.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I want an expansion with the Minish race in it, please nintendo!

I'm sad we haven't seen them outside of minish cap when almost every other race they introduced has stayed around for least one more game :(

Doosi

Banned
-bring fi back, master sword needs more character
-decrease the weapons durability to increase difficulty
-have more weather effects and rain like effects on terrain
-less music, more ambiance
-less dungeons, more shrines
-implement a comprehensive tutorial (don't be lazy Nintendo)

Golnei

It would be neat if once you've beaten a shrine, a bunch of thieves and small time bad guys claim it as their hideout, and your mission is to go through and clear them out. Like a superhero or something.

Given that the Yiga clan should theoretically know how to use the shrines, it might have been a nice change of pace to throw in a few "occupied" shrines, which add Yiga enemies, Pools of Malice, infested full-size Guardians and other obstacles to otherwise-normal shrines. It'd have been a welcome surprise to walk into one of the "reward" shrines expecting no resistance, only to be met with three Blademasters in a tiny space.

A puzzle oriented Zelda dungeon with original assets.
Spoilers ahead:
The best area/dungeon is Hyrule Castle. Looks fantastic and it doesn't use the Sheikah aesthetic, but it lacks puzzles. A more puzzle filled dungeon would be great
It's story and dungeon DLC so I hope it's a new area like the main 4

Give me something like
Hyrule Castle
. Preferably with some unique enemies and an epic boss fight.

I actually don't need traditional Zelda dungeons anymore after experiencing that. I hope the next game is full of dungeons like it.

TripOpt55

Your idea for the Minish Cap-esque expansion sounds so cool. I'd love that. Using the traversal mechanics but on things that we see as small turned huge would be really neat.

Golden Rose

Neo Member
I'm not expecting anything as big as you are suggesting. "Something new and fun" sounds exactly like an extra dungeon thrown on the map. The things you are suggesting sound more like the basis for a completely new game.
And tbh I'd be more than happy with just an extra dungeon thrown on the map.

ryechu

A puzzle oriented Zelda dungeon with original assets.
Spoilers ahead:
The best area/dungeon is Hyrule Castle. Looks fantastic and it doesn't use the Sheikah aesthetic, but it lacks puzzles. A more puzzle filled dungeon would be great
It's story and dungeon DLC so I hope it's a new area like the main 4

A puzzle oriented dungeon will likely have a sheikah aesthetic. For better or for worse they convinced themselves that sheikah materials are the only things that should be unclimbable likely due to readability. Unless the dungeon has a lot of small keys to really block progress and traversal, I don't see a non-Shiekah puzzle dungeon.

Hylian7

b6FWrP3.png

See that mountain? You can't go there. If you try to climb it, it says you can't proceed any further in that direction.

13ruce

Banned
A few new enemies types added to the overworld and 1 or 2 new World Bosses they did say that new challenges will be added so that would be cool.

Post Ganon game world is my dream dlc.
I know enough of the past thanks to those memories, so i don't want to play that.
Those beasts malfunctioning is cooler to explore.

Red

b6FWrP3.png

See that mountain? You can't go there. If you try to climb it, it says you can't proceed any further in that direction.
Yep. I'm guessing this is it. It is a named feature and explorable by cursor on the map. But Link can't scale it.

Dr_Ifto

Maybe a new threat comes in now that Ganon is defeated and the kingdom is mostly defenseless. Make it so that they move in giant dungeons similar to the divine beasts that they were able to find themselves in their own kingdom. Something new, maybe not something we hae seen in an other game.

Otnopolit

I'd love for them to incorporate the puzzle and combat mechanics in a themed Zelda dungeon that moves a little away from the samey tan walls of the beasts. While they were great dungeons, I don't think there was enough to set them apart. The monster encounters were severally reduced due to needing to accommodate every player.

Cerium

b6FWrP3.png

That would suggest it would be something with a Gerudo theme which I am always down for.

Maybe an expansion on the Seven (and Eighth) Heroine mythology?

I want the Story of how Link first got the Master Sword. Because unlike every other Zelda, Link didn't have to react to evil's rise to get the blade of Evil's bane it seems.

jviggy43

All of these are pretty much the worst ideas ever.

kunonabi

An actual dungeon around the size of hyrule castle or so. If it's just another godawful divine beast or shrine I'm not going to bother.

JC Lately

Are you the anti me?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
An actual dungeon around the size of hyrule castle or so. If it's just another godawful divine beast or shrine I'm not going to bother.

I don't think those are awful at all, but rah I really want at least one big dungeon.

Illucio

Banned
Or we can have a post story with Zelda and Link off on a mini adventure.

Would love to see multiplayer work out if possible. Whenever Nintendo sees us ask for a Zelda multiplayer game they always assume or make a top down adventure, when what we want is a 3D sandbox cooperative dungeon solving adventure.

Top Bottom