• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about the goty awards, do you care for them?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I hate the term "GOTY" and I dislike the notion that people care about a certain games release year. Who honestly cares whether it was released in 2008 or 2009? If it's a good game then let it stand on its own two feet.

Haunted

Dragona Akehi said:
Really, from what I have seen, these GOTY awards (especially the award shows) are essentially a hype-advertising-"editorial" hybrid of some sort, anyway.
So, basically like all other enthusiast press coverage we're getting over the year (announcements, previews, reviews).

Zenith

Banned
This is the first GOTY thread I've clicked. Why would I care what list of games Eurogamer rates over Gamespot, or Gamespot over IGN. It's just a list of 9.0+ games.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I've never really cared, because my taste in games typically falls to the niche side of gaming like Lunar, Disgaea etc.

About the only time my favorite game of the year was a GOTY was Resident Evil 4.

Shurs

Ganondorfo said:
For example do you look at your uncharted 2 copy and think "damn that game got a lot of goty awards, I love this game even more now"

Or do you try to impress your friends who haver never played a random goty winner, by recommending it to them?

Sounds like someone's upset about 2009 being The Year of the PS3.

I enjoy the discussion that centers around the GOTY nominees. For example, Giant Bomb's GOTY Bombcast was my favorite podcast of 2008.

Haunted said:
So, basically like all other enthusiast press coverage we're getting over the year (announcements, previews, reviews).

Of course. I feel that at this rate, we'll never see actual proper critiques of games like those that exist for movies. Which is why I almost completely ignore the "enthusiast press" for anything, asides from interviews. I would much rather rely on opinions of people whom I trust and tend to have similar tastes in games as mine.

Sipowicz

Banned
i like the giantbomb ones

a bunch of dudes talking about what games had the most impact on them. i want less of this predictable gametrailers "sponspored by buger king" bullshit and more of what giantbomb is doing

Nope don't give a toss. In fact, I think it's hilarious just how more and more out these major gaming websites are becoming out of touch with the gaming public in general.

rvy

Banned
Don't give a shit about them and the games I like never win crap. And if they do win anything, it doesn't mean that more people will play them (see: Resident Evil 4).

to the person who talked about it needing it to be unifed we've almost got one.
1120925-gca_large.jpg

now we just need it for GotY..

I used to care a lot about GOTY stuff for some reason, but since my gaming tastes diverged from the gaming mean I don't pay any attention to them anymore.

Normally GOTY awards are pretty predictable and by the time they roll out I've already played the games I wanted that year and have made up my own mind about them. So I really don't care.

mbmonk

One side of me thinks it's just a tactic to generate more traffic to their websites.

Other side of me fails to care because I have lost respect ( I don't hate them ) for the people who cover the games. So this year GOTY is just a bunch of noise to me.

2009 was the year I truly figured out WTF was up with 'games journalism' ... that is my GOTY :lol

Kishgal

Banned
I couldn't possibly care less about the press's picks. I like formulating my own top list at years' end, though. It's nice to reflect on that year's experiences, I think.

Pulgo1

I used to enjoy all sorts of award shows when I was a kid, but then I grew up and realized that it's all a bunch of bs.

totowhoa

Banned
I don't care about them or get flustered, but I think it's always fun to read a bunch of different takes on the different award winners. It always feels good to see your favorite game awarded, and it's especially nice to see independent games or sleeper-hits justly honored from time to time.

Top Bottom