• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of playing as a custom character of a different race than you?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I always play as hot women. I mean, being a non-hot dude, I figure it's fantasy.

Considering that I’m brown while most of the options in custom character creators are white, I’ve stopped caring about things like this.

DrArchon

I don't think much off it, certainly not negatively.

I like role playing and creating characters in my head. Sometimes I play as women, sometimes I play as black people, sometimes I play as lizards, sometimes I play as gay people. I like it when games offer the choice of letting my created character be more than just a light skinned dude.

Sandoval

I don't see much of a problem. I just make whatever I feel like at the time. I'm a decidedly white dude and off the top of my head I've played: A cat girl in FFXIV, A black guy mage in Divinity 1, Femme Shep, Asian guy in Destiny 2, black woman in Skyrim... Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I rolled a white male character. I had never even considered that fact.

I almost always mix it up, one game I'll play as a black guy, next a white guy, then a Asian girl etc etc. It really boils down to what game I'm playing and what I decide to play as in that moment.

GTAonline main character is Hispanic.
Skyrim main character is white.
Saints Row character is Asian.
Division character is black.
Andromeda character looks mixed race, white and Indian.

I definitely play as a white dude with dark brown hair more than anything though since that's what I look like so I tend to gravitate towards that more often than any other race or gender.

I see nothing wrong with people only wanting to play their own race and gender and those who like to mix it up, or just play a single opposite race and gender carried over throughout many games. I think it's a good thing to be honest, I love character creations for that reason alone, I, or you don't have to play as someone's pre-set vision.

Create whatever character you want, I say. Personally I tend to create characters in my image as I see the blank character as a projection of myself but the options are there for a reason. That's the beauty of player choice.

I don't think it's weird at all to play as whoever you choose.

I generally go with characters that look something like me because of being historically underrepresented as significant characters, but the gender varies.

I really don't get why it would be weird?

I usually create caucasian-looking characters (both men&women) but sometimes I'll make other races. I often just play around with all the settings in the character creator until I find something I like and make a character based off that

I'm a straight man and I always choose a female in character creators just because of how rare it is to get to play as a female character in a game. Also I think I can always create better looking female characters than male ones.

Top Bottom