• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game do you regret buying!!!!

Mozendo

Trails of Cold Steel is your generic teenage boy demographic JRPG garbage

Shin Megami Tensei 4 has pacing issues, lame difficulty, and an uninteresting story

killatopak

Gold Member
Rainbow Moon.

I hated that it's a grindfest and features micro-transactions as well which supports the grindy nature of the game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Horizen Zero Dawn. i just can't stand the way it does open world and The way it does story by shoving audio logs down in your throat.

jmartoine

Black Desert Online

Got it when it launched on steam. Thought it was an ugly, disorganised mess and put it down after 3 hours.

Promptly reinstalled Guild Wars 2 and have been having a blast rediscovering that.

Shadow of Mordor

It feels like the Arkham games but without the fun and instead with lots of enemies who just surround you and overwhelm you even at the beginning. I'd bought it because I enjoyed the Arkham games and thought that the Nemesis system would make things interesting too. I also thought it might get me interested in the LoTR world as well. Took about an hour and I realized I don't enjoy the game at all.

FinalAres

Breath of the Wild

I actually really liked the game by the end, but it's such a long, slow game and I just don't have that much time for games, it felt like a massive slog. I look back and think "man I could have played three games I really like in that time".

Disclaimer, I'm a bit compulsive about finishing the games I buy. So I couldn't just put it down.

Tales of the Abyss - Can't stand that protagonist

ARMs - too slow and deliberate. It's a shooter where you can see the bullets flying at you really

Fallout 4 - it's Fallout 4

Digimon Cyber Sleuth - too long. I could have beaten 2 other games, but instead I spent over 40 hours playing an overly long story that I didn't even finish

Crypt of the Necrodancer - wasn't really my thing. Awesome concept though

Rogue Legacy - the game that gave birth to my hatred of randomly generated rogue-likes. It's a fun game though, just not my thing

HoJu

Ratchet and Clank PS4

I remember liking the PS2 games, but I had to stop this after like 3 hours. The combat is never satisfying and none of the guns are fun to shoot, and there is not much actual platforming. It also has some of the worst writing and hackiest jokes in gsmes. Poor writing isnusually easy for me to ignore in games, but here it would just would never shut up. It is pretty though.

Pokémon Moon

Also had to stop after 3 hours because of the writing and cutscenes.

Olengie

Day 1 for Mass Effect 3 because it went on sale for $10ish in the Summer.

Day 1 Valkyria Revolution since Amazon started selling it for sub 15 in August, just around 2 months after release.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
FFXV for me. I've given it numerous chances over the past year, striking optimism to revisit it every couple months after reading some of the positive posts it receives by some fans. It never lasts more than 30 minutes per session as all the aspects that I loathe about it send up a quick reminder while playing. I am at the final chapter, but I have no desire any longer to just take the time to end it.

Fallout 4 as well. I have almost nothing kind to say about FO4.

Evil Within!!!!!

Framerate on ps4 made it unplayable

Recently bought on Steam but also returned that version because of framepacing (?) issues.

Not that it matters since you went PC eventually, but PS4 Pro's boost mode made a huge impact on the game. Played it through on PS4 early this summer and was shocked at the difference when flipping Boost mode on and off to test.

Ratchet and Clank PS4

I remember liking the PS2 games, but I had to stop this after like 3 hours. The combat is never satisfying and none of the guns are fun to shoot, and there is not much actual platforming. It also has some of the worst writing and hackiest jokes in gsmes. Poor writing isnusually easy for me to ignore in games, but here it would just would never shut up. It is pretty though.

I'll cosign. After adoring the PS2 games, I was shocked at how much I actually disliked this reboot. It looks spectacular, but that is it. The combat lacks any real tension, the story and characters went to shit, and the progression lacked the Metroid-esque flow that made revisiting planets for alternate routes, upgrades, and secrets, so fascinating. Actually disappointing so few were able to look beyond the shiny veneer.

____

Breath of the Wild

I actually really liked the game by the end, but it's such a long, slow game and I just don't have that much time for games, it felt like a massive slog. I look back and think "man I could have played three games I really like in that time".

Disclaimer, I'm a bit compulsive about finishing the games I buy. So I couldn't just put it down.

This was me with The Twilight Princess.

DigSCCP

The Order 1886 and FFXIII, day one both.
FFXIII its the only game I've ever bought at day one and haven't finished.
I tried so hard.
I played until Gran Pulse ( some friends told me game got better after that ) and then I just said : fuck it, I'm not having fun here and Im not going to keep torturing myself with this game just to justify my money.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Luke? I think Luke is hands down the best part of that game, and still the best Tales protag, thus far.

He is what Cloud ought to have been, if Square had any semblance of something even remotely testicular not cancer.

Even if we are to pretend he is the best JRPG protagonist of all time--which he's not, far from it--he is still surrounded by a bunch of terrible characters nonetheless.

My answer: Fallout 4. One of the biggest mistakes of my gaming history, pre-ordering full price the digital version of it. Still kinda sore to this day.

SoulUnison

Banned
Watch_Dogs.

I couldn't run it well on the computer I had at the time, but even after building a dedicated gaming rig at the end of 2016 and trying to revisit the game to finish it up I STILL can't get a stable 60 FPS out of it. It's just a terribly unoptimized piece of shit game.

For the record, I'm running:

i5 6600-K
GTX 1070
16 GB RAM

There's just no excuse for how the game performs.

Destiny, but in a way regretting had me going out to them play through Witcher 2 which got me hooked on the series and leading into my love for the Witcher 3

Strings

Shadow of Mordor!!!!
Paper Mario: Sticker Star!!!!
FFXV!!!!
FF Type-0!!!!
MK8D!!!!
Tales of Zestiria!!!!
Dishonored!!!!
DMC!!!!

All games I'd rather had not supported.

Forward

Even if we are to pretend he is the best JRPG protagonist of all time--which he's not, far from it--he is still surrounded by a bunch of terrible characters nonetheless.

My answer: Fallout 4. One of the biggest mistakes of my gaming history, pre-ordering full price the digital version of it. Still kinda sore to this day.

Oh, I agree with all of your points, 100%. Fallout 4 included... the town building made me quit what was an otherwise fun if utterly braindead dumbed down stealth murder simulator.

Titania

Burnout Paradise. I was a huge fan of Burnout Revenge, but then I booted up Paradise and had never been so disappointed in my life.

Neolombax

Overwatch and GTA 4. These have never been able to click with me over numerous attempts.

Of recent memory, fully expect to regret ME: Andromeda and Agents of Mayhem but they both turned out really great for me personally. Pleasantly surprised.

Skyrim. Repetitive quests and atrocious combat made me think that it was my worst purchase ever. And I bought it at launch.

I tried to like it. I really tried. 80 hours of pain and torture.

Really? I don't buy it because you played it for 80 hours. Why would you play a game for 80 hours if it was torture? This makes no sense.

Recently? Bloodborne. I wasn't into Demon Souls like at all but I thought the more fast paced combat and interesting setting of Bloodborne would keep me invested in the game. I ended up liking it a lot more but I still found it to be ultimately rather drab, slow, and boring. It has a lot going for it and I can see why others like it but it's one of my biggest purchase regrets, alongside Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Dragon Age Inquisition, Shadow the Hedgehog and Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Qblivion

Disney infinity. I don't dislike it by any means, but now i'm stuck with all this space hogging physical crap that has next to no value.

Ptaaty

Witness. Beat like 40 puzzles...still don't like it. Even though part of a bundle...I don't even know my hate level of I paid full price. Loved braid. Line puzzles....yeesh

sinonobu

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn - game just didn't click with me. Got bored real quick.

Kud Wafter - I thought english patch existed but it didn't.

RevenWolf

Horizon Zero Dawn - game just didn't click with me. Got bored real quick.

Kud Wafter - I thought english patch existed but it didn't.

Same with me for horizon. Gorgeous game, but moment to moment gameplay for me didn't really set itself apart from other open world games.

Don't questions usually have question marks!!!

Most recently? Dragon Age Inquisition. I had never played a DA game before and the world just feels hollow and the combat doesn't have any weight in my opinion. Not my thing, but I can see its appeal. Could've spent the money on something probably more my taste, though.
Do you see the irony?

Top Bottom