• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game has made you the most frustrated?

Novocaine

Currently: The bonus stages in 3D World are doing my head in.

Overall: WoW. Not so much the actual game but running a raid group was incredibly frustrating at times. Like how many times do you have to die in a patch of fire before you fucking get it?

MrS

Banned
Expert levels in N++ are just beyond my skill level. Really sad I had to put it down without beating them.

BluWacky

godofwar.jpg

While this did frustrate me at the time, there was a far more frustrating section (now patched out, I believe?) in Ascension, the final PS3 game. Google suggests it was called the Trial of Archimedes; without watching a video to jolt my memory it was a long series of fights in a very narrow space (possibly with trapped walls/floors?) and no way of refuelling your health. Believe me, rage was induced (I am not an action gamer!).

As I say, though, they patched it to make it easier I think - after I'd beaten the game.

nkarafo

N64 Goldeneye 007 mode.

I couldn't beat 3 or 4 levels so i couldn't unlock the last multiplayer level.

Also, there were no "real cheats" for this game (the unlocked bonus cheats could not be used to progress the game) until very late. So i had to buy an Action Replay card, just to unlock everything.

laxu

Shovel Knight.

I'm pretty bad at platformers and I rage quit and uninstalled the game twice because I kept falling into the same damn pits. I died so much I could not buy any of the upgrades either. Eventually managed to beat the game (and buy everything) but I don't feel I enjoyed it much. I would really like to because the graphics and music are great but it makes me unnecessarily frustrated so I haven't tackled the DLC characters yet.

Soulsborne games

I love the games but have to admit they have made me frustrated and angry a lot when I get my ass handed to me the nth time. I have hundreds of hours in both Bloodborne and DS3 and have played thru DS1 and 2 once and I still feel like I get killed especially with less than optimal builds like the bleed build I'm running right now in DS3.

The most recent I can think of is unfortunately The Last Guardian. I had to play the game unpatched due to an internet connectivity issue my household was experiencing, and it was one of the most frustrating things I've ever forced myself through. That being said, I don't hate the game; I understand that I am at fault, but it totally ruined my experience and I wish I had just waited. Almost broke my controller at some points.

-SG

Destiny and that RNG. Only managed to get Icebreaker after the first expansion when Xur brought it back.

wideface

Competitive Overwatch.

Hollow Knight.
Every time I acquired a new ability somehow I always forgot where I was supposed to use it to move on. Traversing the map to get to the place where I thought maybe I could use it seemed to take forever even with quick travel. I love the game but I stopped playing because of that; so frustrating. Was I doing it wrong?

Ebrietas was my rut in Bloodborne. Absolutely despised smashing my head against the wall with that fight. Still one of the best games I've played though. But fuck that fight.

Senator Armstrong in MGR:R did a number on me during the final fight.

Netherrealm seems to tailor make aspects of their games to be more rage inducing than challenging.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
universal-3.jpg

Universal Studios: The Game

There's a quiz game in there where you're given 20 seconds to answer a set of random questions out of what must be 100s. you have to get 12 (I think) right and if you get 3 wrong, Woody the Woodpecker's girlfriend or whatever tells you that you need to watch more movies, and you have to do it over again, and there's like a pool of hundreds of randomized questions they can ask you and just guuuuh. And many aren't easy questions, they're random trivia like things that happened on set during filming, like fuck I don't know? There was a lot of frustrating things in this game, but this topped it all for me.

"You need to watch more movies," said by Woody the Woodpecker I can still remember vividly to this day.

Soar

World of Tanks. I'm normally quite calm but instantly turn into a filthy swearing sailor the moment I start a match and some idiot with a bucket of dicks as brains decided to either derp all over the map or hide behind a rock smaller than their heavy well armored 50 ton vehicle.

Family and friends have told me this.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Last Guardian

People will claim hyperbole, but honestly, its one of the few games here every single game design choice made me almost completely angry throughout the game.

Close second would maybe be something like Dota 2 where you can see that your team is slowly losing and doing things wrong, and all you can do is sit there for the next 20 minutes and either get trashed, or somehow make a comeback

Rocket League.

Why would you go for the block when I'm already in goal, have a great angle, and am unopposed in getting the clear? Why aren't you in position to score a goal when I'm centering the ball? Why are you right behind me as I'm in possession of the ball, instead of in some helpful position?

These are all very infuriating questions to ever have.

jdmonmou

Recently Nier Automata made me frustrated. I played it because everyone was talking about it. But after the first playthrough I don't really see the big deal.

antitrop

Probably Call of Duty Black Ops III campaign.

It kept getting worse as it went and just around the time I expected it to be over, I was struck with the unfortunate realization that Treyarch had made the longest campaign yet.

Then I beat what I thought was the final boss, but no, of course it wasn't the final boss. Fucking game just kept going and going and I kept getting angrier and angrier.

BLOPS III shows why CoD campaigns typically being around 5 hours long was a selling point, not a detriment.

RangerX

Banned
Trying to figure out some of the later puzzles and secret language in Fez was incredibly frustrating and nearly broke my brain.

Gears of War 2 multiplayer. The combination of me wanting to succeed/win, the host advantage slanting the playing field greatly, and the amount of bullshit glitches/tactics made me absolutely furious.

Good to know I've grown up a bit since I was in my mid teens.

Bloodborne Old Hunters Expansion

Was on NG+2 with only 20 points pumped into vitality. I was a walking paper tiger. This was fine for the main game and most of the expansion but as soon as I got to the
Orphan of Kos
, I was in a world of hurt. I don't think I have ever died as much to a single enemy/boss then this dude. I never get frustrated or angry but holy christ was I on the verge of quitting especially when I first fought him he was two hits away, every time after was just destruction by the boss's part. Took me like 2 weeks to finally beat him. :(

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I love Naughty Dog to death, but when they make a difficult game, it's almost always infuriatingly difficult.
Exhibit A:
Crash_Bandicoot_Cover.png

Exhibit B (especially when going for 100%):
latest

MarcusB

Banned
MotorStorm Pacific Rift, the last hardcore races...

Yeah, there were some nasty hardcore races in Pacific Rift. I think my first ever YouTube video was me celebrating winning gold. The secret was to not stay ahead too much of the time as the AI just cheated. :)

wvnative

Right now it's Rainbow Six Siege. You either get a good team and dominate or you get stuck with the morons who would rather screw around. I got the latter tonight and only got one win. Let's all rush into the window where the first teamate died.

Rainbow Six takes the freaking cake. Team killers, people who tear down your barricades, break your traps, leave during a match, shoot you without killing you etc...

It really frustrates me cause I thing Siege is the greatest designed multiplayer ever, only the morons completely ruin it.

higemaru

Billy Hatcher has the most frustrating camera, the weirdest sense of momentum, and some really off collision detection. It's extremely difficult to get your egg to go onto the tracks which means you end up losing your egg and/or dying pretty regularly through no fault of your own. The final boss is also extremely difficult, I was never able to beat it even through I got through the rest of the game without too much trouble (except for the aforementioned tracks). Never broke a controller playing it but I certainly wanted to.

Top Bottom