• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What "hardcore" like titles are lacking on the Nintendo Switch thus far for you?

Syinn

Neo Member
Wouldn't say it's hardcore but if the switch had destiny 2 I'd be set on getting it purely so I can play it on the go.

It's not lacking hardcore games because it will never get them. If you want that kind of experience, you won't find it on the Switch.

Hardcore? Arma, Eve Online and Europa Universalis.

Point here: PS4 or Xbone mostly are lacking in hardcore games, as well :p At least if you define hardcore over a certain amount of complexity and demanding gameplay found in some niche PC games (though CRPGs at least are coming over these days for the most part, even things like Divinity:OS or Torment). If you instead define it over the lack of colors/whimsical style or "mature" themes, yeah, not sure what to say, for games styled like that, the Switch will probably get some, but not in the spotlight for the most part.

Though, depending on how you want to define "hardcore", I would say both Zelda and ARMS (and Disgaea 5, Puyo Puyo Tetris) are pretty hardcore. Either very competitive or complex games. Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Metroid Prime 4 will be, as well.

Anyway, I personally look forward to any sort of Japanese character action games/Arcade style games or RPGs – hopefully, Platinum Games, Atlus, From Software, Suda 51 and maybe even SEGA and SNK (I am actually hoping for a KoF14 release after setting up all the classics via Hamster, kind of) will deliver. Also, Arcade racing games. Would actually love for M2 to continue their SEGA classic series on the Switch with 3D-era SEGA games such as Daytona, Outrun 2, Virtual Fighter 3, House of the Dead-series etc.

And in general, and this is the same as with Wii/WiiU, I would love to have some FPS games available. Not a huge fan of the genre on consoles because of the controls vs PC mouse/keyboard, but I found the genre, for me, gains a lot via motion controls.

A wider variety of sports games, though that's probably more of a symptom of the market right now than anything else. But I'd like to see stuff equivalent to the likes of Daytona USA, 1080 Snowboarding and Wave Race 64. Or even Wii Sports Resort or Rockstar Presents Table Tennis.

While we're at it: Racing/driving games. When Codemasters were on the slide of publishers supporting the Switch I was hoping for a quick port of one of my favourite racing games: DiRT Rally. But even that hasn';t happened. Neither has DiRT 4 or F1 2017. Or even top-down racing like Micro Machines.

I'm itching for a good arcade racer or sim on Switch. Last gen's handhelds, 3DS and Vita, were hardly an embarrassment of riches either. PSP had OutRun 2006, Ridge Racers 1+2, a decent but uninspired Gran Turismo, competent versions of Sega Rally Revo and FlatOut. DS had a whole bunch of racing games from Firebrand Games, including GRID and Trackmania.

Maniel

Banned
I'm always looking for jrpgs and at the moment the selection is lacking. I know that games like DQXI and SMT are announced, but the current library only has I am Setsuna I think.

18-Volt

I need:

Auto-action/sandbox games: Like GTA and Mafia. My only handheld experience has been GTA titles on PSP. Both PSP GTA games were amazing and left me asking for more. I really hope Switch will be the handheld that brings the genre to the medium but sandbox games are kinda dead everywhere nowadays.

Mascot slashers: Like DMC or Ninja Gaiden. Another genre that had handheld presence with only handful of titles: God of War PSP titles, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword on DS and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1-2 on Vita. That's it. No DMC, no Onmusha, no Darksiders, no Soul Reaver... Switch need some slasher action fun, and Platinum is the best studio to do that.

Arcade racers: Switch is the first handheld to launch without a Ridge Racer since DS. Weird move by Namco. The thing is, the other alive arcade racer franchises are not making an appearance on Switch either: NFS and Dirt. They play perfectly on handhelds, I wasted so many hours on every racing game on PSP.

Surprised activision hasn't announced call of duty remastered for the system yet
No lie I'd pay $40 to but it today on switch but not on PS4 or Xbox one

Dark souls was really something I thought would show up at E3

GTA is a long shot but I think they could get a two cart version out, one for story x one for multiplayer

Peltz

I'm a sucker for FPSs. I bought almost all that came on the Wii in the hopes of a fix and skipped the Wii U when I knew the console wound't get FPSs (with IR aiming).

Oh God, I miss IR aiming so much and I absolutely hate that Nintnedo dropped it with the Wii U and Switch. I really hope that when I get the Switch for MP4, Gyro Controllers are indeed a everything people are saying.

They're decent actually. IR is still better though in my opinion. Maybe that will change when I see more first party implementation of pointer controls. But they don't feel quite right in... say... World of Goo for example. They're too sensitive and there is too much drift forcing you to recalibrate every few motions.

That's fine for most gyro controls but not when emulating pointer controls in my opinion.

As for my answer to the OP: Switch needs an F-Zero title in my opinion.

tebunker

Banned
System is just coming up on finishing its 4th month in the market and some folks acting like everything they want should either already be out or announced for the system.

Like people clearly do not understand how this industry works.

Personally, I hope we see more announcements from those developers who were announced as partners back in January. Hopefully we see a wide variety of games. I can't speak to any specifics really, but I think that the system needs some more meaty single player games. Some things like Dragon's Dogma or Souls would be good. Just not sure the industry can support this system too even if it is successful.

jdmonmou

More sports games. I know Fifa and NBA 2K is coming. I'd love to see Madden come to the Switch and a baseball game as well.

phanphare

Banned
JRPG is the big genre that I feel is lacking right now but hopefully that improves sooner rather than later though Japanese 3rd parties historically take their time moving to new hardware

Coda

Just wanted to be clear in saying that I understand why many of these games aren't on the Switch yet. Just for me personally until some amazing third-person action games get released for the system it will not get extended play time with what's available right now. I've been diggin' Arms but it's just fun in short bursts and I need a deep action or RPG title to satisfy my tastes.

It was the same scenario when I bought a Wii U. It was cool but overall until games like The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 came out, it was just collecting dust.

Banned
Some cinematic third person games like tomb raider and Uncharted. I love that stuff. Also, a deep FPS would be nice.

I think if Nintendo could make an FPS IP akin to Halo and a TPS akin to Tomb Raider or Uncharted their first party would fill every genre I love.

RTS. It literally is the perfect console for a Starcraft/Heroes of the Storm type game.

I really wish Dawn of War would come though... Dat touch screen...

All of them?

There just isn't a lot to the Switch library other than the novelty of Nintendo games, which is still pretty great in it's own right. It's going to be awhile before the library isn't considered lacking, if ever.

Right, which is absolutely no indication that they ever planned to release it. Just that it was running and they were considering a trilogy release for all platforms.

I really don't understand what your quibble is here...

There was a rumour that From was considering a trilogy release and that it would come to the switch. We don't know if that rumor was true and didn't pan out, is true and still possibly happening, or was bogus to begin with.

Regardless I am left disappointed because the rumour has yet to pan out

All of them?

There just isn't a lot to the Switch library other than the novelty of Nintendo games, which is still pretty great in it's own right. It's going to be awhile before the library isn't considered lacking, if ever.

This. Switch is an entirely different ecosystem to PC/PS4/XBone.
I kinda think Nintendo should just keep on doing their own thing.
Anyone that wants 'western' AAA games will already have an XBone/PS4 by now.

RobotVM

Competitive FPS (Like Overwatch or Battlefield)
Single Player FPS (Wolfenstein, Prey,Dishonored)
3rd Person Narrative driven games (Tomb Raider, Uncharted)

Mostly games from Vanillaware, Falcom, and quite a bit of Bandai Namco's upcoming catalog. If it starts getting games from those three companies, I probably won't see a need to grab another console until the end of the generation.

I really don't understand what your quibble is here...

There was a rumour that From was considering a trilogy release and that it would come to the switch. We don't know if that rumor was true and didn't pan out, is true and still possibly happening, or was bogus to begin with.

Regardless I am left disappointed because the rumour has yet to pan out

A lot of people claim that this was another one of Laura Kate Dale's false rumors. They say she claimed there was a DS3 or trilogy port in the works and was going to be announced for the Switch. But she never said that- all she said was that DS3 was running on the Switch decently and that From was considering releasing the trilogy for all platforms.

I'd love if DS3 or the trilogy came to the Switch but the rumor never attempted to claim that such a thing was being planned or in the works. Just a possibility.

jmizzal

FPS of some kind, any kind.

Pay Day 2 is coming, I checked out the game for the first time with Xbox one game pass and was surprised that it will be perfect for Switch. I always thought it was some online co-op only shooter. But all of the missions can be played offline with bots, it has lots of content and leveling up which work the same for offline and online, this will def be a good FPS on Switch.

Budi

Point here: PS4 or Xbone mostly are lacking in hardcore games, as well :p At least if you define hardcore over a certain amount of complexity and demanding gameplay found in some niche PC games (though CRPGs at least are coming over these days for the most part, even things like Divinity:OS or Torment). If you instead define it over the lack of colors/whimsical style or "mature" themes, yeah, not sure what to say, for games styled like that, the Switch will probably get some, but not in the spotlight for the most part.

Though, depending on how you want to define "hardcore", I would say both Zelda and ARMS (and Disgaea 5, Puyo Puyo Tetris) are pretty hardcore. Either very competitive or complex games. Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Metroid Prime 4 will be, as well.

Yeah I'm really surprised by the definition of "hardcore" game from some of the posts here. Sports games and FPS like Cod and Overwatch doesn't really scream hardcore to me. And indeed the games I personally see as hardcore are mostly lacking in any consoles. Though you make a good point with the crpg:s being ported nowadays. Wouldn't mind some of those reaching Switch too. Don't know how much there is an audience for them on Switch, I don't think they are that hot on PS4/Xbox either? The Shmups in the OP seem to fit my personal understanding of hardcore too, from the little knowledge I have about the genre. When the game is designed with accessibility and mainstream appeal in mind, it usually loses much of what makes a game "hardcore".

I feel that for many the term "hardcore" comes down to *Not a Nintendo kiddies game*. So more about the artstyle and violence of the game than anything else. And something like Uncharted would be considered "hardcore" for unexplainable reasons. The game version of a blockbuster/popcorn flick.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Personally? None as I'd rather play those games on PS4 Pro or PC with better graphics as the portability doesn't matter much to me.

Not personally? Pretty much all of them as there's not a traditional FPS, sports sims, racing sim, Tekken 7, Injustice 2, GTA/Ass Creed type games etc. etc. yet.

Top Bottom