• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHAT IF GAF: A PlayStation Launcher... exclusive to MAC (Apple Silicon)

JimboJones

I think it would be more plausible Sony using Apple silicon for the PS6 than sticking a launcher on Mac but even that is a bit farfetched.

Pelta88

PS staggering releases games on PC had people in disbelief. Today it's an accepted fact. I can see PS staggering on Mac as long as they have some exclusivity tied into the deal.

Then Microsoft will try to buy Apple because Sony refuses to let them compete.

Beechos

Be careful what you wish for. If you think ms, nintendo and sony are bad. Get ready for a $500 ps6 stand to go along with a $2k ps6. Also expect everything to locked down as much as possible.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
11.png

I have no idea why Sony would do it exlusive. Of course Apple might pay them, but that would require massive money, for a rather limited pool of customers.
I guess also doing a launcher on Apple simultaneously with a yet to come PC launcher might happen though.
Depends probably on how easy Apple makes it to port stuff.
Maybe Sony also could help Valve a bit to make their games run well on Steamdeck and get Alex for VR2 in exchange.

The true exclusive mantra is already gone and the PC box is open, doing additional stuff would require additional effort but when doing a staggered launch on other plattforms, might as well target even more people. I am hardly against it.

StueyDuck

Steve Job was on record saying how he loved Sony. Now Apple has the power for gaming.

Today Sony is trying to get into the PC space.

crazy what if
It would be a terrible business decision for Sony, isolating a massive portion of the market.

Unless this would be in tandem with a windows launcher, then sure why not.

Neo_GAF

Banned
less than 5% of the owners play games on mac.
i have a mac and i dont play games on it.
i remember that everytime a new version of macos came out, i had trouble playing the games on it.
but i also remember that pc gaming sucked because of steady problems with settings and drivers.

there is a reason why gaming should stay on dedicated systems like xbox, switch and ps.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not with 8 GBs of memory, lmao.
It's only a measly $'PS5' extra to get the 16GB model. But honestly if you are paying that much you might as well spend the $'2xPS5 and 75" OLED' to get the next model up. But of course the base top model is lacking, but throw in an extra $'PS5' for the upgraded storage and you have a solid sub-par gaming machine but you can get it in brand new 'shiny black' to let everyone know how much money you put on your apple credit card.

Steve Job was on record saying how he loved Sony. Now Apple has the power for gaming.

Today Sony is trying to get into the PC space.

crazy what if

The reverence that Jobs had for Sony came mostly from the walkman, which he saw as an early, well crafted example of human-machine interaction. Sony's job in the PC space is half-handed at best, with Sony apparently staying far away from simultaneous, cross platform day one releases. Apple silicon has enough power for gaming now, yes, but that solves only one of many problems. Apple's biggest problem is their proprietary Metal API, that no one in the industry knows how to use. They recently announced the Game Porting Toolkit, but that was often misunderstood as a porting tool. It isn't really, it's a tool supposed to show to developers that the Metal porting effort can be somewhat automized - but then you still have to port by hand the API code that the tool did not port well. In that sense, the game porting toolkit doesn't help developers. That a game running on Metal on macOS can run well, is not exactly news. Pretty sure that developers will not use that thing, beyond the two titles Resident Evil Village and Death Stranding that Apple showcased during the announcement.

And what would Apple gain from Sony entering their space? Apple is already the most important, most money making player in the games industry, due to their mobile devices. You could argue that Apple is the only player in the gaming industry that has cracked the formula of making money with GaaS - it's just that it is happening in the mobile space, with Apple bullying any competitor on their platform and demanding ludicrous profit shares from developers. Devs hate it, but have to budge since Android versions don't make money and is often only seen as a marketing effort.

Historically, while Apple was still on Intel, it might have made sense to collaborate with Sony or Microsoft to develop a on the fly emulator for their games. Kinda in historical reference to Connectix' Virtual Game Station, where you would PS1 CDs into your Mac and it would just work. With more complex hardware however I don't think such a concept would have worked.

Apple is well known for half-assed effort in the gaming space, with flashy announcements not being followed up by substantial, long year commitment. And with games available via streaming, this is probably where Apple should put more effort in, since it is the low hanging fruit with the biggest impact for Mac owners interested in gaming. The second low hanging fruit is probably expanding the Apple TV into a more fully features gaming/streaming platform with controller support. Alternatively, try to build an ecosystem + marketing around iOS devices plugged to the TV as a gaming console.

Interestingly, the hope that people had, that with unifying the gaming APIs on iOS and macOS more games would be ported from Apple's mobile platforms to the Mac, has not really come to fruition. I think one of the Asphalt games was the only real example I saw. Metal is available on both, and with Apple silicion you can run mobile apps more easily on macOS. With Metal available on both platforms the effort of a "real" port becomes easier, sure, but problems remain. iOS/iPadOS games are often made for specific display aspect rations, which can't be translated to the Mac. Other problems are post release support on the Mac app store (vs. the mobile store), controller support, cross platform multiplayer (case study: No Mans Sky for Mac, which is actually a solid, native port), monetization, Steam vs. Mac app store etc.

Last edited:
People play games on Macs?
Yep. I do, and it’s fantastic on a M2 Pro as long as the game is not too taxing. It has 32GB of ram though. The 8GB ram comments are just so stupid. Sure if you buy the cheapest option of anything you have only 8GB of ram but just for fun, check all cheap pc laptops, they also have just 8GB of ram unless you go up in price.

Last edited:
less than 5% of the owners play games on mac.
i have a mac and i dont play games on it.
i remember that everytime a new version of macos came out, i had trouble playing the games on it.
but i also remember that pc gaming sucked because of steady problems with settings and drivers.

there is a reason why gaming should stay on dedicated systems like xbox, switch and ps.
Steam works perfectly fine on mac. No issues playing games on it. Maybe you should try again, nowadays it's a breeze to get going.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What kind of sick, fanatical bullshit is this? Apple is a shit company that overcharges for crap that morons think is premium compared to the alternatives. Now we have apple sycophants dreaming of PS games available only on Apple shit or PS5?

Just because you like to overpay for Apple computers which suck for gaming and pretty much anything that doesn't cost a fortune doesn't mean the world is going to change that for you.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yep. I do, and it’s fantastic on a M2 Pro as long as the game is not too taxing. It has 32GB of ram though. The 8GB ram comments are just so stupid. Sure if you buy the cheapest option of anything you have only 8GB of ram but just for fun, check all cheap pc laptops, they also have just 8GB of ram unless you go up in price.
A $630 gaming laptop from Walmart has 16GB (DDR4) and 4GB of VRAM. User upgradable to 64 GB RAM, SSD is also upgradeable.

A $630 gaming laptop from Walmart has 16GB (DDR4) and 4GB of VRAM. User upgradable to 64 GB RAM, SSD is also upgradeable.
Sure, and what gpu does that have? And other stuff? Also 630 dollars is already not really cheap anymore imho. But sure there’s probably some models with 16GB of ram for that price with terrible everything else.

I just meant to say that there are always low end models that sell with just 8GB of RAM and also the lowest end Macs have that.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The M1/M2 series is legitimately powerful.

For some purposes, it's incredible. Did you know how many excellent language models (via llama.cpp) and text-to-image models (quantized stable diffusion, or now even an LCM that generates images in seconds) you can spin up on one of these with excellent speed? And all that with a battery life which is incredible, and it doesn't even heat up for me when using the large AI models.

Weird comments to suggest that Macs are underpowered are bizarrely out of touch with their recent iterations. And this comes from someone who despises most of Apple's thinking on iPhones etc in recent years, but their laptops are consistently the best in the world.

Tams

That is true. But for that start price you get an awesome machine with everything high end (except ram configuration)

You get 512GB of storage that can't upgrade and the M3 which isn't anything special by the looks of it.

Apple know it too, as they've made the M3 Pro options appealing if you're looking to spend more.

SHA

What's so exclusive about Apple besides it's Apps? I don't understand, the only way I understand the word "exclusive" is that I'm missing something others don't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom