• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHAT IF GAF: A PlayStation Launcher... exclusive to MAC (Apple Silicon)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sure, and what gpu does that have? And other stuff? Also 630 dollars is already not really cheap anymore imho. But sure there’s probably some models with 16GB of ram for that price with terrible everything else.

I just meant to say that there are always low end models that sell with just 8GB of RAM and also the lowest end Macs have that.
It's not that there are cheap windows laptops that surpass macbooks we know that Apple are making premium products, it's that Apple laptops start at a premium price but are deliberately gimped so they can upsell you. Cheap windows laptops are gimped to bring the cost down, Apple laptops are gimped to drive the price people actually pay up.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I think its likely they will eventually make a launcher for PC and id welcome it just for trophies and cross save.
But it wont be exclusive to any platform.

Sony own Nixxes, there's nothing stopping them from porting games to MAC OS.

People play games on Macs?

And who exactly is gonna port these exclusive Mac games?

Why?

What do you even use a mac for?

Retarded idea

- Posted from my MacBook Pro M2 MAX

It would be a terrible business decision for Sony, isolating a massive portion of the market.

Unless this would be in tandem with a windows launcher, then sure why not.

less than 5% of the owners play games on mac.
i have a mac and i dont play games on it.
i remember that everytime a new version of macos came out, i had trouble playing the games on it.
but i also remember that pc gaming sucked because of steady problems with settings and drivers.

there is a reason why gaming should stay on dedicated systems like xbox, switch and ps.

Victor Omega Victor Omega , don't create pointless threads. If you're going to create a new thread/discussion, put some actual effort into it. This was a waste of everyone's time.
See, and this is the difference between a consumer mindset and industry as a whole mindset. While you guys see "people don't game on Mac" the market sees EVERYONE GAMING on Apple.

Steam and Microsoft dominate PC and Apple has the proprietary processor that can now handle powerful games.

Of course it's a crazy idea, a dumb one at for the consumer (because Im a PC gamer) but the possibility is justify by the current market.
h4SaTwH.jpg

OrtizTwelve

Apple doesn’t need PlayStation games on their platforms.

Apple has enough money and power to potentially disrupt the gaming industry if they ever decided to fund and develop exclusive AAA games for their platform (Mac / iOS) , but it remains to be seen.

Rumors are they are potentially going to enter the market sometime in the next few years.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
See, and this is the difference between a consumer mindset and industry as a whole mindset. While you guys see "people don't game on Mac" the market sees EVERYONE GAMING on Apple.

Steam and Microsoft dominate PC and Apple has the proprietary processor that can now handle powerful games.

Of course it's a crazy idea, a dumb one at for the consumer (because Im a PC gamer) but the possibility is justify by the current market.
h4SaTwH.jpg

This is a false equivalency. Apple tops the gaming market for mobile content. They are absolute shit in the PC market. You post, for as much as you attempted to defend it, is (please excuse my language) fucking retarded. Apple is not going to somehow flip this table. Driver support for gaming on Linux is garbage-tier. Unless/until that changes, Apple no company is going to invest in a Mac-exclusive game launcher.

RickMasters

And who exactly is gonna port these exclusive Mac games?
This….Also…..

and who is gonna pay that apple tax? Apple are not getting into consoles…. Consoles are an outdated idea to apple….. if they bought any part of Sony it would be the PlayStation division purely for the devs and the IP. The Playstation would become little more than a logo on gaming storefront. And you would have to own some form of apple hardware to play them….. I personally don’t have a problem with that as I already own two M chipped mac devices ( my M2 powered MacBook Pro and my M2 ultra Mac Pro tower) when I upgrade my iPhone 13, it will be to the new M powered iPhone. These are not cheap devices. In my case the computers pay for themselves as part of my business….. now….most gamers….are not creative professionals or have much use for a Mac which is why the PC has always been the go to for computer gaming. I don’t see that changing as long as macs cost a hell of a lot more than PC. I live my custom builds and I love my macs equally and I say with no bias these are two different types of audience. If apple bought Playstation they would end up pricing most traditional Playstation gamers out of the equation. Unless you wanna stream all those classic Playstation titles to your phone or tablet. They would not buy Sony…. No need… apple killed the Walkman with the iPod. They don’t need Sonys display tech or optical discs operations… they would not need things like Sonys finance service.

What apple would buy…. In a hypothetical situation… because hey… we keep being told American companies can’t buy Japanese companies, anyway… is the playsation division and no doubt Sonys music and movie businesses. Apple would love to own their portfolio of artists masters and publishing. And they would go to won on Spotify with it for a start… the movies would be great for apples TV and movie subs. Playstation for the exact seem reasons they would want to own the music catalog. Apple would suddenly have a tonne of up in movies, music and games. All in one go. The problem for some might be the cost of entry for apple products and apple have shown zero desire to make low cost products… though we may see a shift in that kind of thinking if the economy prohibits too many people from buying high priced high end electronics. Though maybe apple would want the car audio division…. That would be useful for not only apple car play but making their own apple branded head units with apple specific tech. That would also be useful to apple. And that leaves what, of Sony, themselves? I guess this is where we see who is a Playstation fan and who is a Sony fan?

Apple are big on their subs. Something many PS game are on here seem to hate. Exclusive plays at games plus iTunes and Apple TV packages galore.

Anybody thinking apple would somehow buy Playstation and then make an M powered console for anything under 800 bucks, buy a bunch of publishers to play hardball with the other hard baller (MS), is living in lala land.

I think Sony will eventually end up being just the Playstation company. Much like Nintendo is only a games company. They were a titan for damn four decades in electronics…. The Walkmans… the amazing hifi separates… we had the complete sony hifi set up in my living room growing up.Sony and Toshiba was the best of the best.…. Who didn’t own or Atleast want a 30+ inch sony Trinitron with progressive scan back in the days? Or the super VHS players? Didn’t we all receive a Sony disc man as teenager in the late 90s. Their Vaio PC and laptops were sweet. But Sony is not that company anymore…. They are slowly being reduced to just… the Playstation company…. People are talking about how they should sell more of themselves to buy a large published like T2 just to stay in the game….. but maybe that just a plaster on a hole ina submarine and this is just eventually a game of big fish rat little fish… so maybe Plato should be sold to apple to survive? Not so sound all dramatic and doom and gloom but….. ah…. Never mind. This is a changing industry that’s all I’m gonna say.

I can understand why some people want a much bigger player (financially) to take over Playstation from Sony… especially with the recent layoffs and changes going on over there. But they won’t be Sony and people may not like just how drastic a change that would be. But know this…. If it did happen… it would be the end of PlayStation as a console and the behijng of Playstation as the gaming side of apple for IOS/OSX devices. Apple don’t flinch to abandon products…. Apple are the master of planned adolescence… just ask any professional mac user how much of a headache it was going from Power PC to intel…. The Operating systems that would be completely incompatible with expensive pro-Sumer gear that was designed to be compatible… forcing people to either buy more expensive gear or forced to upgrade m the mac itself. And apple do this all their vein pursuit of “being the leader” of this attitude ever comes into play when they get more serious about gaming and actually gain a loyal base of apple gaming customers…. They will play havoc and forums like this will be filled with rage threads at apple by apple users…. I’ve seen this before…. 🤣🤣🤣. And we will go through it a few more times with apple and some of their products in the future…. With all that said…. The M chips are amazing, in real world use, for productivity. My Mac Pro tower is a beast for recording and mixing with tones of plug ins at low latency. It’s amazing….. but it also cost me 14000 USD…..my iPhone is on contract… to buy it seem free brand new was north of 1200….. apple devices ain’t cheap. They are nice! But they ain’t cheap! I’m not sure that’s something most console gamers will be cool with….. that apple tax, way of products….. expensive and likely to be replaced very quickly. My mac pro tower is roughly four months old but apple just announced the M3 Chips already. Console gamers in general are NOT about that life! PC gamers would be fuming, if intel and AMD announce new chips right after shipping the predecessor. And I just spent 14000 USD only to too see some apple execs get up on a stage and say “ here’s the newer eve better one!”. I’m not too mad about it because the M2 ultra is way more than enough for my line of work already. Intel and AMD chips were already more than enough. And now apple gone one further ahead again? It’s insane. For sure whatever voodoo they got going is going to change the game when this type of CPU tech trickles down to cheaper devices. But for. Is it ain’t cheap and the progress is rapid!

I’m curious to see what happens when devs really take advantage of what these M chips can do. They are already levels above and beyond Intel and AMD. Really surprised at how their CPU development has both matured and advanced. I’ve legit been impressed by apples hardware on the performance side.

RickMasters

Apple doesn’t need PlayStation games on their platforms.

Apple has enough money and power to potentially disrupt the gaming industry if they ever decided to fund and develop exclusive AAA games for their platform (Mac / iOS) , but it remains to be seen.

Rumors are they are potentially going to enter the market sometime in the next few years.

I agree with this. They don’t need sony. But if really check it out… you can also see the benefits to apple if a Sony aquisition was on the table. They would keep the music, movies games and possibly audio hardware divisions, and spin off the rest of Sony to Samsung or somebody who has more interest in the TVs and finances business. As I mentioned in my previous post: long and short recapped version:

Sony music: benefits iTunes, by giving them the entire Sony music catalogue. They would weaponise this against Spotify and other music streaming platforms. I think they would also continue to run sonys record label business.

Sony pictures and TV: benefits Apple TV. Create new movies and films for both cinema and Apple TV.

Playstation: A shit tonne of established IP and with it they start off the industry with possibly millions of Playstation plus subscribers. The question then is…. Would they keep making plantations or does apply TV become the all in one TV games box… fulfilling the Xbox one’s vision of all things in the process, but in a better package than MS early attempt at it that in hindsight was maybe 15 years to early?

Sony audio division: would be merged with apples own beats and audio divisions, to make a range of apple audio products from car head units and and amps/ DSPs in addition to the hifi stuff …with extended features for apple CarPlay and apples own push for hi res audio. In all their devices.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why would you invest in the platform that the majority of gamers don’t play on? Lol
Maybe because a lot have the same chip architecture in their phone. I know a lot are ridiculing the OP, but it is not out of the realms of possibility that Sony are exploring it as an option, especially if these mobile platforms are forced to allow third party stores, Mac gaming then becomes a nice byproduct.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I agree with this. They don’t need sony. But if really check it out… you can also see the benefits to apple if a Sony aquisition was on the table. They would keep the music, movies games and possibly audio hardware divisions, and spin off the rest of Sony to Samsung or somebody who has more interest in the TVs and finances business. As I mentioned in my previous post: long and short recapped version:

Sony music: benefits iTunes, by giving them the entire Sony music catalogue. They would weaponise this against Spotify and other music streaming platforms. I think they would also continue to run sonys record label business.

Sony pictures and TV: benefits Apple TV. Create new movies and films for both cinema and Apple TV.

Playstation: A shit tonne of established IP and with it they start off the industry with possibly millions of Playstation plus subscribers. The question then is…. Would they keep making plantations or does apply TV become the all in one TV games box… fulfilling the Xbox one’s vision of all things in the process, but in a better package than MS early attempt at it that in hindsight was maybe 15 years to early?

Sony audio division: would be merged with apples own beats and audio divisions, to make a range of apple audio products from car head units and and amps/ DSPs in addition to the hifi stuff …with extended features for apple CarPlay and apples own push for hi res audio. In all their devices.
I imagine they'd love Sony's sensors tech as well

X-Wing

Steve Job was on record saying how he loved Sony. Now Apple has the power for gaming.

Today Sony is trying to get into the PC space.

crazy what if
Apple and Sony do have a close relationship. For some reason Apple always shows off a DualSense controller whenever they want to show something gaming related.
I think both companies having some sort of partnership in the long run is just a matter of time, not sure an exclusive store on Mac would win much market share to PlayStation though.

Sethbacca

Steve Job was on record saying how he loved Sony. Now Apple has the power for gaming.

Today Sony is trying to get into the PC space.

crazy what if
It feels like a lot of people don't remember that Sony USED to be in the PC space. The VAIO line was some solid tech and well designed, but as with most of their stuff it got lost somewhere along the way.

Update : Apparently VAIO still exists as an independent company and Sony has a minority stake in it? If they were looking to get back into PC that would make the most sense unless they want to just let another major partner like Apple take all the hard work on that front and use them. I feel like that could backfire down the road if the PC gambit is successful though. Wait and see I guess.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Devs are already struggling enough to release feature complete, functioning games day one on three console SKUs and PC, now you want them to add another platform to develop on, and an extremely niche one at that?

There is no market for AAA on Apple hardware. People who have Mac’s already own gaming PCs or consoles with robust libraries of titles and subscription services. The amount of people who would be transitioning would be insufficient to cover dev costs, let alone turn a profit.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
One of the biggest cross-platform releases of the year -- Baldur's Gate 3 -- has a native Mac silicon version which runs on all the M-series laptops with excellent performance.

This is a false equivalency. Apple tops the gaming market for mobile content. They are absolute shit in the PC market. You post, for as much as you attempted to defend it, is (please excuse my language) fucking retarded. Apple is not going to somehow flip this table. Driver support for gaming on Linux is garbage-tier. Unless/until that changes, Apple no company is going to invest in a Mac-exclusive game launcher.
The known narrative IS Apple is shit in the PC gaming market and concurrently Sony is still n its infancy in porting game to PC.

Mobile gaming is still GAMING. it's only us (cause I'm guilty of it too) that separate them from hardcore and casual.

All that "Linux / Apple can't do Drivers" rhetoric is barbaric in 2023.

The table has already flipped thanks to Apple Silicon

One of the biggest cross-platform releases of the year -- Baldur's Gate 3 -- has a native Mac silicon version which runs on all the M-series laptops with excellent performance.
Say it loud for the rest of them can hear.

Last edited:

Neo_GAF

Banned

h4SaTwH.jpg
partially right.

iphone users have a little bit more money and their cc are tied to the accounts while xbox/ps/switch users necessarily dont buy at once a gem pack for 200€.

i can understand companies looking greedy onto that, but apple gets most of the money through IAP and subs. not through game-sales.

Ozzie666

Horrible thought for this to all be incorporated into ITunes, really tragic world. Sony on the Itunes store, good god.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

h4SaTwH.jpg
That's profit, not revenue. That 2019 gaming revenue is about 10% of total gaming revenue they just have massive profit margins because they don't have to actually make anything.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony is committed to PlayStation and uniting PlayStation with pc, the entire psn can be downloaded on an iPhone from the App Store.
Bro Dude GIF by Yevbel

I actually think it is possible. Specifically on the iPhone and iPad. The M series chips are awesome. Apple has a huge first mover advantage on the ARM chips.

Sony will have to expand the PlayStation base somehow. I always thought Amazon would be the sucker to acquire them.

The real irony will be the Microsoft and Activision merger has paved the way for Apple to acquire Disney in full.

The real laugh will be when you realize all the IP Apple will control with the acquisition of Disney. Microsoft and Sony will be seriously damaged without the Marvel and Star Wars titles, and Disney characters. Admittedly, Disney does not put out as much as they used too. And the brands have been damaged by Disney, no question. But look at Xbox and PlayStation and remove those titles. What are you left with?

What is the true value of the first party. Not as much. Microsoft will be solid as long as people keep playing COD and WoW. But 2 to 1 in pickem MS screw’s it up somehow.

As for Sony, the writing is on the wall. They have printed themselves into a corner, and it is looking dire. If Sony fans no longer want single player QuickTime adventure game…you have…?!

Disney IP:

Marvel, muppets, Mickey, alien, Star Wars, avatar, Pixar, family guy, Simpson, futurerama, diehard, kingdom hearts (it is listed as Disney controlled), archer, American horror story, sons of anarchy, planet of the apes, kingsman, etc. it just keeps going. A lot of ideas for different games. So, should the Apple acquisition of Disney come to pass. Which I believe is more than a rumor and a strong possibility. This would get real interesting really quickly.

Top Bottom