• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What indie characters do you want to see on Smash Bros for Switch?

Question as someone who hasn't played the game: How the hell would you make a moveset that reflects the whole "Using dozens of people as a living weapon" aspect?

Not rhetorical, I honestly would really like to know how Wonder Red would play.

You would have to restrict it to only Wonder-Red, but it can work, most likely a combo heavy character like Bayonetta to keep inline with Wonderful 101

- Tilts and jab would be basic punches and kicks ala Captain Falcon

- Shield gets the Unite Guts visuals much like how Yoshi turns into an egg

- Dodging in turn would also be Unite Spring

- Smash attacks would materialize Unite Hand for heavy swings, longer you charge it the larger the fist gets (along with the lag being more penalizing)

- Up special's wonderful rising, more or less Ryu's Shroyuken crossed with Roy's Blazer for multi hitting flaming uppercut

- Side special gets the wonder stinger

- Down special is unite tombstone, much like Kirby's own stone ability with a larger hitbox

- Final Smash would either be Unlimited Form as a basic choice, or "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow" if it's going to be flashy like Bayonetta's Gomorrah and Cloud's Omnislash

I couldn't think of stuff for aerials, neutral special and throws, but this should be a good idea of what Wonder Red could be like in Smash. Taunts would be easy too, Wonderful 101 already has some they could reuse

Kthulhu

Miriam from Bloodstained Ritual of the Night. I think that would promote the game even further more just like with the release of Corrin/Kamui before Fates even came out.

Code:
[IMG]http://img14.deviantart.net/1dd3/i/2015/138/8/5/bloodstained_miriam_by_tuksoil-d8tvh7q.jpg[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]https://images.eurogamer.net/2015/usgamer/BloodstainedSpot2.jpg[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/ritualofthenight/images/3/38/Miriam_Transparent.png/revision/latest?cb=20150605195912[/IMG]

Fates was already out in Japan though.

None, and not because I dislike them.

I actually think a LOAD of indie characters would be a cool fit for Smash, but they're all about on the same level for "should they get in," to the point that the choice would feel somewhat arbitrary. Shovel Knight being an apparent shoo-in confuses me endlessly, and I'm pretty certain people are only saying this because of that leak that got blown the fuck out. There are A LOT of popular indies that have a good home on Nintendo who are at about the same level of Shovel Knight.

Bayo is pretty much the last resort for "but but non iconic characters get in," but she won the ballot and also starred in a Nintendo published sequel to a beloved cult-classic from a well-known developer? Like it's being disingenuous to not see why her inclusion isn't as out of left field as it immediately seems.

However, I'm not going to begrudge any indie character that would happen to get in. I just don't see it happening right now. Not until there's a very immensely popular character with the power to rank on a Smash Ballot.

Jawmuncher

I still wish we saw the full list of votes. Bayo was said to be the winner of a feasible addition. Who knows what was actually on there.

Toxi

Banned
Bayo is pretty much the last resort for "but but non iconic characters get in," but she won the ballot and also starred in a Nintendo published sequel to a beloved cult-classic from a well-known developer? Like it's being disingenuous to not see why her inclusion isn't as out of left field as it immediately seems.
Honestly, I think Cloud is a more blatantly weird inclusion than Bayonetta. His game signaled the end of serious third party support for Nintendo. Putting him in a celebration of Nintendo's characters while Final Fantasy XV sells millions on the PS4 is hilarious.

I still wish we saw the full list of votes. Bayo was said to be the winner of a feasible addition. Who knows what was actually on there.

Considering what Sakurai said about Bayonetta:
Can you guess who was one of the "previous fighter from the series" that was one of the most requested? It's kind of interesting that at least 2 Smash veterans took up the most popular choices in North America

Pichu power is too strong lol

Honestly, I think Cloud is a more blatantly weird inclusion than Bayonetta. His game signaled the end of serious third party support for Nintendo. Putting him in a celebration of Nintendo's characters while Final Fantasy XV sells millions on the PS4 is hilarious.

Sakurai doesn't believe in console wars.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...oud_console_wars_and_fighting_game_design.php

"I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves."

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I actually think a LOAD of indie characters would be a cool fit for Smash, but they're all about on the same level for "should they get in," to the point that the choice would feel somewhat arbitrary. Shovel Knight being an apparent shoo-in confuses me endlessly, and I'm pretty certain people are only saying this because of that leak that got blown the fuck out. There are A LOT of popular indies that have a good home on Nintendo who are at about the same level of Shovel Knight.

How many of those indies that have a good home on Nintendo have managed to get their own Amiibo?

Cloud's still a character whose most significant appearance on a Nintendo console was a cameo in Chain of Memories.

At the point that Cloud is acceptable, might as well add Master Chief. After all, he's a pretty big video game icon.

(I'd totally dig Master Chief in Smash)

I suppose the primary difference is that while Cloud may be associated with Sony, he's not actually owned by them, like how Microsoft owns Master Chief. He's a Square-Enix character.

Really, folks like Cloud and Snake are just ordinary third party characters not unlike Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man. It's just that they happen to be more popular on non-Nintendo consoles. It's not like they're flat out owned by Nintendo's competitors like Master Chief, Banjo & Kazooie and Kratos are. Despite obviously not being big on console wars, that's still probably a line Sakurai isn't willing to cross.

Toxi

Banned
I suppose the primary difference is that while Cloud may be associated with Sony, he's not actually owned by them, like how Microsoft owns Master Chief. He's a Square-Enix character.

Really, folks like Cloud and Snake are just ordinary third party characters not unlike Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man. It's just that they happen to be more popular on non-Nintendo consoles. It's not like they're flat out owned by Nintendo's competitors like Master Chief, Banjo & Kazooie and Kratos are. Despite obviously not being big on console wars, that's still probably a line Sakurai isn't willing to cross.
I'm more looking at just how much the character has had on Nintendo stuff. Snake's super popular on PlayStation, but he's got Nintendo console games starring him. Cloud barely appeared in games on Nintendo consoles.

Like Banjo and Kazooie to me makes way more sense than Cloud, even if they are owned by a competitor, because they starred in some damn popular N64 games.

Sturgis

Neo Member
Out of all indie characters, I think Shovel Knight would be most suitable for Smash, as he is probably more "iconic" indie character associated with Nintendo. Commander Video could be cool too.

I prefer it if there weren't that many indie characters though. I wish some of the more obscure Nintendo franchises gets some recognition in the next entry
Saki 4 Smash

They're not "otherwise solid rules", LOL.

First it was "Just Nintendo characters." Then with Snake it was "Third party characters had to be icons with a significant history on Nintendo consoles." Then with Cloud it was "Third party characters had to be icons, significant history on Nintendo consoles is optional." Then with Bayonetta was "Third party characters can also get in if they're really popular with Smash fans."

And it's not just third party characters. Melee had a character who was literally an advertisement for an upcoming game, and invented another character entirely to represent the Game and Watch units. What solid rules do those fit under? None, because there are no rules beyond "Who the designers decided to put in the game."

Congrats Toxi, you've awakened to the truth about Smash Club.

Rule one of Smash Club is that there ARE NO RULES!
Rule 2 of Smash Club is that everyone ... adamantly believes in their own made up rules only to unknowingly await the day Sakurai fucks their rules up and they wonder off and forget they even made said rules.

Anyway, for the topic, I say Shantae. I get so damn hype at the thought of beating asses as my character dances. The ultimate BM ... so worth a spot.

(That plus she's one of the oldest Indie characters to stand the test of time. 15 years and still going strong. Even the devs are taking notice of the changing tides and are changing her look up to take advantage in this new indie wave cause fuck, she's the OG of indies in the scene and it shows with her fan's support. I really do wish they would advance on the older version instead of redesigning her to fit in with the new trend but it works I guess)

As for slots I think it's important to remember that at least PART of why Sakurai revisits the same huge Nintendo IPs more and more is because for a fat chunk of time Smash has been starved for new, interesting IPs to draw from. Sakurai I feel would love to explore current popular series but on the Wii and much of the b4 Smash time on the Wii U they were not making the big new character IPs.

Now we have Squids and Arms which I'm sure will net more than one slot each. I expect him to cool it on the New Mario/ FE character train personally.

But who the fuck knows, Bayo got in so why not Shantae?

kunonabi

I mainly don't want indie characters in smash because that would guarantee them never showing up in upcoming and future indie crossover fighters.

Eh, indie characters have been crossing over like crazy as it so the novelty is pretty much gone anyway. That said, i dont think smash would have an effect on a potential indie fighter anyway.

J-Tier

Eh, indie characters have been crossing over like crazy as it so the novelty is pretty much gone anyway. That said, i dont think smash would have anyway effect on a potential indie fighter anyway.
So, if Shovel Knight got into Smash, upcoming Indie Smash-likes like Bounty Battle would still have a chance at getting Shovel Knight?

Shaanyboi

Banned
I know, but I'm trying to think of how they would adapt the Wonderful 101 more faithfully than what they did with Fox and Captain Falcon.
Same way you adapt 3 separate Pokemon into a single fighter. They can come up with something...

PsionBolt

I'd be disappointed by any indies other than Gunvolt or Quote+Curly, probably. Shovel Knight or Shantae would be a major bummer.

Piers

It's probably jumping the gun here, but Sakurai would probably favor Japanese indie characters which...limits things a bit, considering how much more widespread Indie games are outside of Japan.
I say this because I think Japan was specifically polled for what characters to have in the game multiple times before. Could be wrong.

kirby_fox

Banned
If I had to choose, Quote from Cave Story seems like a fantastic choice. Huge indie game before indie games were a thing, and it first came to Nintendo consoles (and only non-Nintendo console it's been on is the PSP).

Shantae isn't a bad choice either. Has been around for years, started on and showed back up on Nintendo portables and has had a decent bit since.

I don't personally believe there's been enough indie characters that have really...survived long enough to get in as guests. And not a single one would have a moveset that would be unique to them, so adding them would be more for fun than it would be anything else. But hey, the more the merrier really.

Zubz

Banned

My guess is that she was #4 behind Snake, Banjo, & Goku. That said, she deserved the slot more than any of those guys.

Kolibri

vvvvvv__wallpaper__by_hated-d65aefh-720x330.png

Platy

It's probably jumping the gun here, but Sakurai would probably favor Japanese indie characters which...limits things a bit, considering how much more widespread Indie games are outside of Japan.
I say this because I think Japan was specifically polled for what characters to have in the game multiple times before. Could be wrong.

Cave Story it is

That being said, Commander Video and Rayman had a trophy and Shovel Knight has an amiibo

Top Bottom