• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is "fake news"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFO

Banned
News that is not true, not news worthy, posted without any source, or is opinion disguised as fact.

Oppo

Don Lemon had it right.

Any news that sets out intentionally to deceive. not report.

usually for profit. i.e. Macedonian shitposters

Boem

Right, but under the definition of fake news that is frequently given, Fox News is not fake news. It is very clear they are bias, based on the way they cover certain news stories, and they frequency of stories that are pro-conservative/anti-liberal vs. pro-liberal/anti-conservative.

But fake news goes far beyond bias. It is the spreading of information that is blatantly untrue in every respect and can cause harm to people. I think it is a no brainer that those who spread a "story" that Clinton was part of a child sex ring, Clinton could have sued and won, under slander.

I would take it a bit further. Any news source that posts disinformation that leads to people getting hurt or strengthens radicalist tenancies in the US should be a free target to law enforcement agencies. Even in the US, they would be a hard target, due to the very nature of proving they posted disinformation with malicious intent, but law enforcement agencies should have the option to open investigations into sources of media such as this.

Yeah, you're right of course. I mainly brought up Fox News to illustrate how hard it can be to nail down when someone is crossing a legal line in cases like this.

I completely agree there should be hard consequences, and I really don't understand why that hasn't been happening more often. Both on side of the creators of news like that, and on the side of Trump and his kind. Everyone is outraged that Trump is acting like he's accountable to nobody, but what baffles me is that nobody seems to be actually holding him accountable. He can act like it because everyone is allowing him too, and that just doesn't make sense to me.

This case is super interesting to me, and a first ruling like that could have huge symbolic value. Let's hope for the best and that more people will follow in going the legal route on this stuff.

Nerazar

Batman v superman is better than the dark knight. Everyone knows that you know that.

That's also the information I got. I won't name the source, though, but believe me, it's top level people.

Also: what the failing free press does is "fake news", but what the WH does is "alternative facts"? Am I getting this right?

Swass

C5D1LviUcAAqhQn.jpg:large

Sianos

For people so often concerned about speech, conservatives really are great at undermining every attempt to convey complex meanings through language. I appreciate them sticking up for people's right to verbally pronounce phonemes in various series, but now I think the next step is for them to put in work on preserving the semantic side of speech. You know, the actual function of language.

How many times is it now has a term been develop to try and convey a more complex concept to less informed people - and sometimes its even just a really simple concept expressed in fewer phonemes - only to have it's meaning immediately dragged through the mud by a bunch of incessant shouting? They refuse to engage in debate with actual positions by intentionally misinterpreting any terms designed to convey complex ideas into strawmen, while just interrupting any explanation longer than a sentence and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom