• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama tried to give Zuckerberg a wake-up call over fake news on Facebook

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
dvzpPyP.jpg

ftfy

pestul

Fake Facebook news contributed to brainwashing a couple of people I know. My mother and a close work colleague. My mother was a very leftist fun-loving person, but she leans toward conspiratorial influences. Facebook was rife with wacko conspiracies and most of them were pro-Trump. She's kind of come around now, but it did have a huge impact on her and lot of her American friends.

My co-worker believes that everything she reads in her Facebook sidebar is real news. I checked her feed out and some of the stories were fake news purporting to be from reputable agencies like the CBC or Reuters.

There's no downplaying it. It was and is still scary as hell how easily people can be influenced.

I would throw an actual irl party if the government just shut down Facebook one day. It would actually be a great thing for the future of democracy and discourse.

And I don't think anyone under the age of 50 would give a shit at this point.
Plenty of people under the age of 50 actively use facebook, I'll never understand the narrative that it's only old folks.
Also that would be absolutely terrible, I'll never understand what makes this site so terrible for people that they can't access it without without every terrible thing in the world going through their head.
I use it in lieu of email and for planning with friends, and you'd also be cutting people off from groups they use/valuable friends they've made through the web.

At least Trump has some talent and a clear connection to the base that determines who wins the republican nomination (the south, specifically). How does Zuckerberg win in the south? It's not going to happen.

The bigger fear is that Zuckerberg blows up Booker over the NJ school funding. Say what you will about Booker, I'm not a fan...but he's got a good shot at the nomination. Having him bloodied by a candidate with 0 chance (Zuckerberg) would be unfortunate.
There will be plenty of Democrat candidates to choose from come 2020. Everyone and their mother will run for office after the disaster that was 2016. It is one thing to get knocked out of the race by one of the most qualified presidential candidates in history (Hillary vs Bernie) and another to get knocked out by lame Zuckerberg.

I would throw an actual irl party if the government just shut down Facebook one day. It would actually be a great thing for the future of democracy and discourse.

And I don't think anyone under the age of 50 would give a shit at this point.

I would be down for that.

Acerac

Banned
This fucker contributed to ruining this country politically.

He should be held accountable for what he's done.
If it was the most profitable course of action he was obligated to make that decision.

If anything the decision would be celebrated by anyone who could have any influence on the man. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Guy.brush

So I guess this could be the end to Zuckerberg's his 2020 presidential bid before it even began?
This will surely be used as ammunition against him down the road.

Top Bottom