• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Sega Spectrum?

ash_ag

What's going on

Fake fake edit: Y'know, Sega's presence on Steam is quite large. And though they're yet to release a Linux game, making a new controller and branding a Linux gaming PC running Steam sounds quite plausible (when you compare it to the possibility of a new pure console). It's not too risky as a business move, and it can have quite the success.

Real edit: And how long has it been since the last big Sonic? Though, frankly, this is kind of the opposite of what Sega does with their IPs (shrinking instead of growing), maybe some competition in the hardware area is an effort, albeit unorthodox, to regain some ground.

Jeffahn

Hey guys.

I used to work at an EB Games up until recently (2011) and I was at a manager's conference, which happened to have some game company reps. Anyway, I got to discussing all things Sega with this inebriated low-ranking Sega Australia marketing person and, long story short, she told me the specs of the Sega Spectrum. Please note that this is completely unrelated to the Dreamcast 2 - which was cancelled by Sega out of spite.

CPU: Intel Sandy Bridge-based CPU, equivalent to quad-core 2720QM processor
GPU: AMD Radeon GPU, equivalent to 5850M mobile GPU
RAM: 1GB GDDR5 pool, 4GB DDR3 pool
Storage: 16GB flash, USB 2.0/eSATA external HDD compatible
Networking: Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0
OS: Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread fork at the time, would possibly be ICS or JB by now.
Optical Media: 4x Blu-ray drive, 50GB discs
Ports: 4x USB 2.0, 1x eSATA
Controller: breakapart dual-analog style gamepad with dual gyroscopes/accelerometers

Rumoured specs as per Model 4:

Hex Core Z80.c1
4096bytes system RAM
PowerVR tessellation/ray-tracing/physics SoC w/ 16mb Compact Flash RAM (codename: Speccy)
YAMAHA 8channel DSP
2X Tape Loader w/ 2s buffer (proprietary)
Dual Sega Activator 2.1 Control built-in

shaowebb

Rumoured specs as per Model 4:

I don't believe a word of this...I just don't see after going to a purely digital model Sega jumping into consoles again the moment they start getting profitable and looking okay. Not even as a steambox sort of system. My money is still on this being a Sega digital distribution thing like Origin or something.

Would be interesting to see platform agnostic game services run on these new platforms, like Sega offering an entire catalog or spectrum of retro console and arcade software for a subscription, like a 21st century Sega Channel. Could include early looks and discounts on new upcoming DD releases.

Daingurse

So tempted to break NDA right now.

tumblr_ltftviueZ21qhafj6.gif

I wonder if this 'spectrum' encompasses their entire back catalogue... subscription to play every Sega game ever? I totally would.

Publishers should be doing that anyway.

I have no idea, but I'm ready to buy it day 1. :3

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to Chacranajxy' twitter account, he is in lawschool and he occasionally writes about games for money. So the NDA he'd break, is presumably a journalist's one.

ib0tl1MdIq2P9q.gif

ekim

According to Chacranajxy' twitter account, he is in lawschool and he occasionally writes about games for money. So the NDA he'd break, is presumably a journalist's one.

Polari

C'mon Sega. $99, include a store with your back catalogue and a well-curated selection of other titles (unlike the completely unregulated approach of the Play Store and Ouya), and XBMC well integrated I would buy it in a heartbeat. Then you could develop for it while also shipping your games on Android.

Haunted

Hey guys.

I used to work at an EB Games up until recently (2011) and I was at a manager's conference, which happened to have some game company reps. Anyway, I got to discussing all things Sega with this inebriated low-ranking Sega Australia marketing person and, long story short, she told me the specs of the Sega Spectrum. Please note that this is completely unrelated to the Dreamcast 2 - which was cancelled by Sega out of spite.

CPU: Intel Sandy Bridge-based CPU, equivalent to quad-core 2720QM processor
GPU: AMD Radeon GPU, equivalent to 5850M mobile GPU
RAM: 1GB GDDR5 pool, 4GB DDR3 pool
Storage: 16GB flash, USB 2.0/eSATA external HDD compatible
Networking: Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0
OS: Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread fork at the time, would possibly be ICS or JB by now.
Optical Media: 4x Blu-ray drive, 50GB discs
Ports: 4x USB 2.0, 1x eSATA
Controller: breakapart dual-analog style gamepad with dual gyroscopes/accelerometers
well done. :lol

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
OP won't tell.
Bummer. I looked in the Japanese trademark database of IPDL to see if anything regarding this had been registered, due to the ™ sign. Though nothing seems to be registered by Sega. Maybe someone more fluent in Japanese than me can have another go.

televator

My money is on yet another proprietary digital distribution app that I have to make yet another account on. Complete with junk email, security breaches, and password juggling... Yay! A world where all pubs have their own app, here we come!

pixlexic

Banned
Probably something you play at a urinal. Not even kidding.

But wouldn't it be cool if MS worked out a deal with sega to make the next xbox a sega console in japan?

Top Bottom