• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Shinji Mikami up to these days?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
So Keiji Inafune is working on Dead Rising and Lost Planet

Yoshiki Okamoto is done with Every Party and is working on an X360 action game

Akira Nishitani is knee deep in some Tetris game for next gen

Hiroyuki Kobayashi is doing DMC4 on PS3

Jun Takeuchi seems have gotten Onimusha out of his system and is working on Biohazard/RE5 for X360 and PS3...

But what is Shinji Mikami working on these days (and for that matter, what is Noritaka Funamizu working on.....SF4, I hope)

slade

Yeah, Shinji Mikami and Atsushi Inaba are working on God Hand for PS2. The game doesn't seem bad per say but it is quite bland aesthetically.

Mikami is the lead game designer and director of God Hand.

And as cool as that game might come out, I really think it's wasted talent on a lost cause.

First off, God Hand is in the most traditional genre (beat-em-up), next, it's on a traditional console (current-gen) and unlike Okami, it's running off a traditional graphics engine.

20,000 units sold tops in the U.S

Mikami should be making a Wii title, he needs to go back to his roots and make a Resident Wiivel or Devil May Wii game.

I believe Funimazu works with Studio 1, as he was the executive producer for DMC3, and the Monster Hunter games. And since DMC is no longer with studio 1, he's probably involved with Monster Hunter 3 (for PS3) -- although that's speculation.

The street fighter rights have been given to Studio 5 Capcom USA, although that studio shut down.

PhoenixDark said:
RE: Fiive

believe
I'd be hard to swallow that he's not in some way contributing to RE5. And hey, wasn't Mikami name listed prominently in Phoenix Wright's credits? So he's probably got the next one (or perhaps the PW2 DS port) under his belt as well.

Dahbomb

I agree, Godhand is a waste of talent and effort. When is it supposed to even come out? The game should've been on the PSP.

HyperZone<3 said:
I'd be hard to swallow that he's not in some way contributing to RE5. And hey, wasn't Mikami name listed prominently in Phoenix Wright's credits? So he's probably got the next one (or perhaps the PW2 DS port) under his belt as well.

There are two Shinji Mikami's at Capcom.

What if it's the 'fake' that's the director of God Hand, and the real one is working on something...big. Too big...for E3. Wait for it...Dino Crisis 4 (the rebirth of a franchise because it has the number 4 in it! -- directed by Mikami)

cvxfreak

The other Shinji Mikami worked on one of the scenarios for Resident Evil Outbreak. :lol :lol

But the famous Shinji Mikami is indeed active... working hard at God Hand.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Well, he did direct RE4 (after Hiroshi Shibata was taken off from Directoral duties) and that's a pretty big accomplishment.

Wasn't he moved to clover studios? God hand doesn't look all that great anyways.......

Too bad he's not in RE5.....who knows, he could jump on the project like he did with RE4.........

cvxfreak

Mikami's chances of working on another Biohazard game ever are quite slim, really (as in unlikely). He's at Clover now, and they don't develop Biohazard games. He could pull a move similar to what the Smash Bros. director did, but truth be told, biohazard 4 aside, Mikami's role in the series isn't as huge as one would think. He was there for 2-3-CV and then the GC transition, but he's only been at the absolute helm of three games, the original, REmake and 4. He oversaw and advised the development of 2-3-CV-Zero, but he wasn't the key figure behind those games. He had nothing to do with the Outbreak series and the Gun Survivor series as well.

RE2 is Kamiya's baby, and RE3 was Aoyama's. Kato deserves credit for CV, as do Koji Oda and Tatsuya Minami for Zero.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
cvxfreak said:
Mikami's chances of working on another Biohazard game ever are quite slim, really (as in unlikely). He's at Clover now, and they don't develop Biohazard games. He could pull a move similar to what the Smash Bros. director did, but truth be told, biohazard 4 aside, Mikami's role in the series isn't as huge as one would think. He was there for 2-3-CV and then the GC transition, but he's only been at the absolute helm of three games, the original, REmake and 4. He oversaw and advised the development of 2-3-CV-Zero, but he wasn't the key figure behind those games. He had nothing to do with the Outbreak series and the Gun Survivor series as well.

RE2 is Kamiya's baby, and RE3 was Aoyama's. Kato deserves credit for CV, as do Koji Oda and Tatsuya Minami for Zero.

So, I guess he's off to make extremely crazy, innovative, and artistic games now that he's at clover, if Viewtiful Joe and Okami are any indication.

cvxfreak

dirtmonkey37 said:
So, I guess he's off to make extremely crazy, innovative, and artistic games now that he's at clover, if Viewtiful Joe and Okami are any indication.

If he's inclined to do so, sure.

The Wii really sounds like the place he'll strike next, but maybe not with RE.

cvxfreak said:

which is why Mikami should be doing res game, casue the only Resident evil games that are worth shit are the original the gamecube remake and REs evil 4

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Avutta1978 said:
which is why Mikami should be doing res game, casue the only Resident evil games that are worth shit are the original the gamecube remake and REs evil 4
RE2 says hi and fuck you :D

Khalid-S

mybe he is doing this :

130008_1_rfoEOe3C5EaU.jpg

its fake guys ;)

slade

olubode said:
RE2 says hi and fuck you :D

LOL, personally, I'd put Code Veronica and 3 above the REmake. It just felt too tedious especially when you had to cart the gasoline around to make sure nobody turned into a Crimson Head. 2 and 3 are quite possibly my most replayed RE games.

Mikami is surely deeply involved in next-generation development, despite the existence of God Hand.

Expect to see a Clover developed - Mikami directed next gen title at TGS 06.

J2 Cool

You now, GAF has really taken to the name "Wii" as ridiculous as the forums got during it's unveiling. "Revolution" was never this much fun.

Zenith

Banned
i thought god-hand looked really poor. what was that other fighting game Capcom did a while back that totally bombed (and it was a major arcade franchise). this looks like a repeat.

CluBpop

Mikami is the greatest waste of talent in japan gaming industry.
Think about this : of course, he's the man behind RE4 but he also wrote and design (with Suda51) Killer7. For Both those works, Mikami is the defenitely the man of 2005.

It really is a shame Capcom downgrade him after the Pn03 debacle...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
cvxfreak said:

That's impressive dude, how do you know all this?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Zenith said:
i thought god-hand looked really poor. what was that other fighting game Capcom did a while back that totally bombed (and it was a major arcade franchise). this looks like a repeat.

Final Fight Streetwise

cvxfreak

Mr. Pointy said:
The man is a hardcore Capcom fan.

Well, more towards RE and Onimusha (I'm not a huge fan of DMC and Dino Crisis, and don't care for MM and SF). :D

The title belongs to C-Warrior IMO.

U K Narayan said:
Wii reference aside, I really do hope he gets around to directing RE5. Although, he IS working on Godhand.

I agree, I hope at TGS we get word of another RE game scrapped and a Mikami take over to make the true RE5. Throw Takeuchi and his crew out, we need the master behind the wheel.

Top Bottom