• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the Best Game by Rare?

I agree with the Banjo Kazooie mentions, that game is a classic. I think an argument could be made for Jet Force Gemini if not for the endgame bullshit.

Smeags

Conker's Bad Fur Day is an absolute masta-peeece! *mwah*

The game is brilliant, with the first half a twisted parody of cartoony 3D platformers (culminating in one of the most memorable bosses in The Great Mighty Poo). Then things get even crazier from there, with Conker visiting Pre-historic worlds, escaping a zombie infested mansion, declaring war against nazi teddiz, and then going full on Matrix on us.

And the multiplayer is soooo much fun. War, Heist, Raptor, Tank, Beach... so many fun modes to play. With awesome weapons (the katana, magnum, and chainsaw were my favorites). It was a huge disappointment when Live and Reloaded messed with this multiplayer perfection.

CBFD is the complete package, and one of the best games of all time!

Dreamt of playing Diddy Kong Racing which made me go buy an N64 and this game.

But I also enjoyed Star Fox Adventures the most, followed by GoldenEye.

Thank you. Finally someone agrees.

Lol same can be said from my end to you! Star Fox Adventures is such a superb game, filled with charm and it really does bring on an adventure sense, whether domestically on a planet or in space! Love this game. I make sure to rebeat it every July too!

Neff

It's a toss up between DKC2, GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark.

All three are among the greatest in their respective genres.

Fuck it, GoldenEye.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
1) Goldeneye
2) Banjo-Kazooie
3) Jet Force Gemini

Id put Perfect Dark up there too.

weekev

Banned
The one and only Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Something like it will probably never be done again.

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Refined everything in the two Banjo games plus it was Rare's last Nintendo 64 game, was one of the console's last games to be released and was Mature rated which at the time was rare for Nintendo and it's console's. Awesome game and love the intro. Stupid logo!!! LMAO!!!
You guys know what's up.

They made some damn good games over the years. Personally, I can't choose just one, so I'll narrow it down to Blast Corps, Goldeneye, and Diddy Kong Racing.

yyr

It's hard to argue with DKC2. But so many of their games were great.

At the time, Goldeneye was fantastic. But that game by no means holds up today.

Now granted, I never played through the campaign; I only played the multiplayer at friends' houses. But I would argue that Goldeneye multiplayer was never good.

I mean, on console it was about as good as you could get at the time, I'll give you that. Rare definitely deserves kudos for doing what they did using what they had to work with. But by the time it got popular, I'd already played Quake multiplayer on PC, which made Goldeneye look like a kid's toy by comparison. Faster, bigger, smoother, more players, more options, more of everything. It's not even close.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
My all-time fave:

Blast_Corps_Coverart.png

I sunk an amazing amount of hours into Blast Corps.

LpOfce0.gif

tumblr_nxm7s1DIcv1s3uawvo1_400.gif

tumblr_oghuc1vd2L1qjztgpo1_400.gif

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country 2.
I love most of their games though. It's hard to choose.

Only games I didn't like on Rare Replay were the Viva Pinata games. Played the first one for several hours. Started out relaxing and pretty fun, but quickly became frustrating when everything started eating each other and I had to make separate gardens for every new pinata. The luck around taming new pinatas was also unfun. Finally get it to appear in the perfect conditions after an hour and it just ignores the bait you put out for it and leaves.

I need to befriend someone who loves these games and have them play it for me lol. Only stamps I'm missing.

ramparter

Banned
I can't choose between DKC2 or Banjo-Kazooie. It's definitely not DK64 though.
I prefer Banjo Kazooie but mainly due to the type of game and being much easier. DKC2 is too much for me after the 2nd world :/

But yeah those two are Rare at their best.

low-G

NES Battletoads, but there are so many that rank nearly as high for me.

2nd place would probably be Banjo Kazooie even though I never owned it in the day, only rented. Owned Blast Corps and Goldeneye on N64, both great too...

Their creative works like Nuts & Bolts would be up there for me as well.

daTRUballin

I have no clue how to decide. The thing is, they've made SO many awesome games it's not even funny. For me personally, it'd probably be a toss up between Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, or Conker's Bad Fur Day. These games basically defined my childhood, with the exception of Conker. I only played that properly for the first time two years ago. They're also such great games too, and I feel like these games in particular are probably Rare's greatest achievements.

And despite what many people say, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark still hold up for me to this day. The problem most people seem to have the most with is the controls, which I don't see how someone can't get used to them.

Si2k78

Goldeney. It may not have aged well, but by far the most revolutionary. It made console fps a legitimate genre.

KingBroly

Banned
Banjo-Kazooie

Look at Mario Odyssey and realize it took them that long to copy the 'get the thing but stay in the level' idea for 3D Marios.

Banjo-Tooie went off the rails, though.

Top Bottom