• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the Best Game by Rare?

Juraash

Donkey Kong Country is the one that sticks out as being the most important game they made. I definitely remember it blowing my mind at the time. GoldenEye also is in a similar situation.

But the one that I think I liked the most was Jet Force Gemini.

SirNinja

Goldeneye.

To this day I'm salty about it not being in Rare Replay.

You can't possibly have expected it to be there. The game is an infamous licensing nightmare, with at least three major parties all wanting to have the final word on the platform, distribution, and sales.

Archtreyz

Banjo
Perfect Dark
GoldenEye

Looking forward to seeing how SoT does next year, could be the game to put Rare back in the spotlight again.
That would be cool but that game just doesn't appeal to me. I have an Xbox One S now so if it gets good reviews I might jump in. Who knows?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My all-time fave:

Blast_Corps_Coverart.png

I sunk an amazing amount of hours into Blast Corps.

LpOfce0.gif

tumblr_nxm7s1DIcv1s3uawvo1_400.gif

tumblr_oghuc1vd2L1qjztgpo1_400.gif

Yea I can't recall if I got all plat medals or still had a few left, but it got an insane amount of play in my N64.

Still would vote BK, Goldeneye, and N&B higher though.

daTRUballin

You know what's crazy to think about? Assuming Sea of Thieves does come out in 2018, that means it'll be the first core Rare game in 10 years. That's right. The last time Rare released a normal video game was Nuts & Bolts in 2008. They've released three Kinect Sports games and Rare Replay over the last 7 years, but the Kinect games aren't considered to be "normal" Rare games by most and RR was just a collection.

So there will be a 10 year difference between SoT and N&B. Crazy.

mavo

Banned
Banjo-Kazooie

Look at Mario Odyssey and realize it took them that long to copy the 'get the thing but stay in the level' idea for 3D Marios.

Banjo-Tooie went off the rails, though.

Funny stuff, Oddisey reminds me more of Tooie than Kazooie.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You know what's crazy to think about? Assuming Sea of Thieves does come out in 2018, that means it'll be the first core Rare game in 10 years. That's right. The last time Rare released a normal video game was Nuts & Bolts in 2008. They've released three Kinect Sports games and Rare Replay over the last 7 years, but the Kinect games aren't considered to be "normal" Rare games by most and RR was just a collection.

So there will be a 10 year difference between SoT and N&B. Crazy.

Considering the (so far) challenge-free gameplay I don't see how it is more of a core game than the Kinect Sports games.

The answer is Banjo-Kazooie, it is also the best western-developed game ever.

1upsuper

A decade ago I would have said Banjo-Tooie but my recent attempt at getting every jiggy has changed my opinion to Banjo-Kazooie.

Salty Hippo

Banjo-Kazooie, DKC2 and Goldeneye are the absolute crown jewels in their history. Perfect Dark, Conker and DKC3 are almost on the same tier. Everything else they've made is good or decent other than PDZ, the Kinect games and some of the NES licensed stuff.

daTRUballin

Considering the (so far) challenge-free gameplay I don't see how it is more of a core game than the Kinect Sports games.

The answer is Banjo-Kazooie, it is also the best western-developed game ever.

What I meant by "core" game is that Sea of Thieves is at least something that traditional gamers would want out of Rare, unlike Kinect Sports. Strangely enough, not many people seem to care about the game so far anyway. Back during the Kinect era, people were demanding that Rare needed to go back to developing "real" games. And now they're making a "real" game and nobody cares. Funny how that works. Or maybe it's just because there hasn't been a whole lot of advertising about the game so far. I dunno.

Camjo-Z

Banjo-Kazooie, no question. I think it's as close as humans have ever gotten to the perfect video game. DKC2 is a close runner-up.

ASaiyan

Banned
What I meant by "core" game is that Sea of Thieves is at least something that traditional gamers would want out of Rare, unlike Kinect Sports. Strangely enough, not many people seem to care about the game so far anyway. Back during the Kinect era, people were demanding that Rare needed to go back to developing "real" games. And now they're making a "real" game and nobody cares. Funny how that works. Or maybe it's just because there hasn't been a whole lot of advertising about the game so far. I dunno.
I am genuinely excited for Sea of Thieves. It's actually one of the reasons I am probably getting a cheap Xbone this BF; between Sea of Thieves, Super Lucky's Tale, Cuphead, and Halo, MS finally has enough exclusives that interest me.

bionic77

DKC2 is my favorite Rare game and the one that is the most timeless.

I feel like the Banjo games were the most ambitious thing they have done. The gameplay was sometimes a little iffy by damn those games had a lot of good content.

Synth

People were giving Rare shit long before Kinect. They don't want "real games", they just want sequels to N64 games.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Donkey Kong Country 2, because it was a great game at the time and has aged remarkably well. I don't think the same could be said of any of their N64 output.

redfox088

Banned
007 Goldeneye is still the greatest media licensed game OF ALL TIME....come for me I don't care. I'll accept Banjo-kazooie/ Tooie as well.

daTRUballin

People were giving Rare shit long before Kinect. They don't want "real games", they just want sequels to N64 games.

While that is certainly true, I still find it very strange that nobody wants to give the first "real" Rare game since Nuts & Bolts a chance, besides a few people here and there (like the poster that responded to me above). I guess nostalgia gets in the way of things!

Camjo-Z

I'm a huge Rare fan and I'm hyped for Sea of Thieves but now that you mention it, I do actually just want sequels to their N64 games. BANJO-THREEIE WHEN

Top Bottom