• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHAT IS THE BEST KIRBY GAME?

SalvaPot

Kirby.
YTMYPgh.gif

He is cute.
facebook.png

He is squishy.
tumblr_lyqs5e8TYw1r3tg06o1_250.png

He is...
latest

angry for some reason.

He is great!

But what is his best game?

Well, lets look at this nice list from the wiki.

Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
Kirby's Adventure (NES/Famicom)
Kirby's Pinball Land (Game Boy)
Kirby's Dream Course (Super Nintendo/Super Famicom)
Kirby's Avalanche (Super Nintendo)
Kirby's Dream Land 2 (Game Boy)
Kirby's Block Ball (Game Boy)
Kirby's Toy Box (Super Famicom)
Kirby Super Star (Super Nintendo/Super Famicom)
Kirby's Star Stacker (Game Boy)
Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Super Nintendo/Super Famicom)
Kirby's Super Star Stacker (Super Famicom) - Japan only
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Nintendo 64)
Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble (Game Boy Color)
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (Game Boy Advance)
Kirby Air Ride (GameCube)
Kirby Slide (Game Boy Advance e-Reader)
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (Game Boy Advance)
Kirby: Canvas Curse (Nintendo DS)
Kirby: Squeak Squad (Nintendo DS)
Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo DS)
Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)
Kirby Mass Attack (Nintendo DS)
Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Wii)
Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition (Wii)
Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Nintendo 3DS)
Kirby Fighters Deluxe (Nintendo 3DS eShop)
Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe (Nintendo 3DS eShop)
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Wii U)

Not bad! That is a lot of Kirby to go around. What are the best ones?

Here is my Top 10:
10) Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Wii)
YOU CAN PLAY AS BANDANNA WADDLE DEE. That should be enough, but it also had the adorable stack'em'up gameplay.

9) Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (Game Boy Advance)
A great remake for a classic and with a lot to offer, its also the first game we get to play as Meta Knight.

8) Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)
The cutest of games. Even if it was originally Prince's Fluff game, retooling it as a Kirby game was the smart choice. The game just oozes personality and the way you can interact with the world and use your abilities makes this one of the most creative games on the Wii, and that is saying a lot.

7) Kirby: Canvas Curse (Nintendo DS)
I liked Rainbow Curse, but it was not as good as this one. The drawing mechanic in this game is what first sold me on the DS.

6) Kirby Mass Attack (Nintendo DS)
I was very lukewarm about it when this one was announced, but as more trailers come out the more I was convinced. The game delivered in many ways, with a more puzzle-solving focus and hilarious boss fights.

5) Kirby Air Ride (GameCube)
Best Racer on the Gamecube. F-Zero GX got nothing on this. Yeah, i said it.

4) Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (Game Boy Advance)
I absolutely loved 100% this game, lots of stuff to do and the labyrinth map design is flawless.

3) Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Nintendo 3DS)
The perfect game to introduce new players to the world of Nintendo, Triple Deluxe its gorgeous and collecting the medals tickles all my nostalgia centers. It also has one of the best versions of King Dedede boss fights.

2) Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Nintendo 64)
Perhaps my favorite, but clearly not the best. Kirby 64 has my favorite mechanic, the power combination. Mixing stuff to see what was going to happen was just delightful and I demand more of it. Also the multiplayer is the definition of timeless.

1) Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo DS)
A classic revived with a ton of extra stuff, epic animated cutscenes and refined gameplay, its kirby at its purest. If you have to play any game on the list, make it this one.

So that is that. What is your favorite Kirby game? And the Best one? Bonus questions: Your favorite Kirby character and your favorite kirby music track.

I am going with King Dedede, with Bandana Waddle Dee as a close second.
latest

As for music, Masked Dedede Theme from Super Star Ultra.

Persona7

Banned
Only one worth playing is Kirby's Dream Course.

I can't remember if I liked Kirby 64 and tilt and tumble. I think I did.

Tizoc

The best kirby game is gimmick ;)

I cant really rank them as i only played maybe a habdful but they were all fun and great.

Super Star Ultra for sure

I love Air Ride, Canvas Curse, Mass Attack, Return to Dreamland was fun and I still need to try Epic Yarn. Oh and Triple Deluxe is waiting too.

Superstar and Nightmare in Dreamland are TIED! Nightmare in dreamland is severely underrated because its a remake.. Like its filled with content and the graphical and sound overhaul makes it feel like a new game.

SalvaPot

The best kirby game is gimmick ;)

I cant really rank them as i only played maybe a habdful but they were all fun and great.

In a way all Kirby games are Gimmicks. Only one I can think play it safe was Squeak Squad that based its gameplay on Great Cave Offensive from Super Star, and that added the Stomach Storage.

Not my favorite, but I'll never forget how good my mom was at Kirby's Avalanche. It's the only game she ever played with me and it provided countless hours of fun when I was a kid

leroidys

I seriously do not get superstar. It might be my least favorite Kirby game. It's so damn slow, boring, and repetitive.

I was fairly young when Kirby Super Star came out on SNES. That game has a special place in my heart and I largely think it's a time and place type thing as I spent hours with my brother playing co-op long after we completed all of the separate games. I do think it's a classic though, so that's probably the best to me.

Kirby: Canvas Curse is a close second in my opinion. That game is still incredible.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
KIRBY CANVAS CURSE IS MY FAVORITE KIRBY GAME. I REALLY LIKED COLLECTING MEDALS AND THE GAME WAS DESIGNED AROUND THE TOUCH SCREEN REALLY WELL. IT'S REALLY COOL THAT YOU CAN PLAY AS DE DE DE, META KNIGHT, WADDLE DEE AND WADDLE DOO, THAT WAS AN UNEXPECTED SURPRISE.

Mory Dunz

Superstar.

Kirby 64 was such garbage coming off of that. No co-op? really? And the level design? garbage. And Kirby superstar was my first kirby game so I was expecting 5-8 moves/attacks for every power in 64. Ha yeah right. ugh, i can't speak about that game without becoming irritated.

1. Super Star Ultra
2. Return to Dreamland
3. Canvas Curse

Those are honestly the best ones, in my opinion. Dream Course and 64 are good, too, but I feel those three games captured the best elements of the series.

Psxphile

Always had the most fun w/ Superstar. Didn't really like what they did with Ultra though, replacing the minimalist sprite choreography for CG movies... the extra modes were welcome, though.

Actually, come to think of it, I haven't played nearly enough Kirby games. Just Dreamland, Dreamland 2 (got stuck, lost interest), Dream Course and a bit of 64.

Kirby does not have fur. He is not fluffy.

Gabriel Iglesias would say otherwise.

Dreavus

I don't know if Super Star can ever be topped. Tons of levels, varied move-sets on each power, co-op with 2p being a friendly version of different enemies (I always thought this was hella cool), and GREAT CAVE OFFENSIVE. I'm not sure how it can be beat.

Kirby 64 was cool with the power mixing, however I remember the actual powers themselves to be pretty underwhelming. Usually one or two attacks for each, which means each power quickly becomes boring after the novelty wears off. I can tear through several levels using just Ninja in KSS, where as I'd be hard pressed to do the same with any one power in Kirby 64. I'd take fewer combinations with Super-Star-like move-sets over more combinations every time!

I'm playing through the Triple Deluxe post game at the moment and I have no idea why the game is even called "Triple Deluxe". The story is about a giant beanstalk and bug people.

galvatron

64 was super slow, from what I remember. Didn't much care for it.
Epic yarn looked nice, but that's about all...more unchallenging platforming as is Kirby's calling card.

The best one I've played was Kirby's Adventure on the NES and if we're counting pinball land, then that would be my second favorite.

I seriously do not get superstar. It might be my least favorite Kirby game. It's so damn slow, boring, and repetitive.

Wut. It's the fastest platformer in the series and mainly why it's my favorite. Also why I can't stand Kirby 64. Second favorite would probably be Dreamland 2 which rarely gets enough love.

Zalman

Triple Deluxe might be my favorite. But Super Star Ultra is a classic. Nightmare in Dream Land is good too.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I support this thread.

I have the strongest attachments to Kirby's Dream Land, Kirby 64, Nightmare in Dream Land, Air Ride, and Canvas Curse, and my attachment to those games is strong. I used to beat Dream Land over and over again, to the point that that game is carved into my brain. It may have been my first game. Kirby 64 blew my mind with the possibilities of the copy ability combination mechanic (never beat it, though, and probably the game I have the weakest attachment to). Meta Knightmare and UFO Kirby in Nightmare in Dream Land entertained me greatly after missing out on all the advancements the series made since the original. I've played dozens of hours, maybe hundreds, of Air Ride. I used to loop the Drawcia Sorceress music from Canvas Curse because I loved it so much.

The others that I've played and beaten (Amazing Mirror, Squeak Squad, Return to Dream Land) didn't leave a strong impression on me. Sadly, I've started but not beaten pretty much every other game in the series. One day...

Random anecdote: I remember trying to play Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble during car rides. What a mistake.

I'm playing through the Triple Deluxe post game at the moment and I have no idea why the game is even called "Triple Deluxe". The story is about a giant beanstalk and bug people.

The game has three distinct modes, hence the name. Plus, it's a loose way of achieving the "3D" title.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I gotta go with Kirby's Adventure.

It's secretly the Super Metroid of the series... taking the formula of a much simpler game (Dream Land) and making a much greater epic out of it. Plus the music was phenomenal, still remixed in newer Kirby games to this day.

The graphics on NES were amazing... and this is saying something because I had long owned a SNES when it was released.

213372bu

Banned
CANVAS CURSE WAS SOME PRETTY RAD SHIT

A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO NORMALLY DONT PLAY KIRBY GAMES PLAYED IT AND WERE ALL

"HOLY SHIT ITS THAT GUY FROM SMASH BROS"

IT HAD LOTS OF NICE MECHANICS AND FELT REALLY FRESH WITH THE DS'S CONTROL SCHEME

AIR RIDE I THOUGHT WAS GOOD BUT I CAME BACK TO IT REALLY DISSAPPOINTED. SUCKS HARD MAN.

PEOPLE USED TO RENT THAT SHIT LIKE ALL THE TIME AND IT WOULD NORMALLY BY RENTED OUT AT EITHER BLOCKBUSTER OR HOLLYWOOD VIDEO.

IF WE'RE GOING TRADITIONAL I'D SAY AMAZING MIRROR WAS PRETTY GREAT FUN ALL AROUND

blamite

I haven't played Return to Dresmland yet, although it's downloaded on my Wii U, and I haven't played the portable games past Amazing Mirror/Superstar Deluxe, but of the ones I've played, Crystal Shards is my favorite "traditional" Kirby game, because the power combinations are more fun than any of the normal abilities, and Air Ridd is easily the best mon-traditional/spin-off. That game desperately needs a sequel. Maybe it'd be a nice small project for Sakurai to direct before making something bigger?

People tend to argue over some combination of Super Star/Return to Dreamland/Triple Deluxe for the top Kirby games. Any of those are well worth a playthrough if not yet played.

And everyone knows the best kirby character is dedede.

Tookay

Likely a pun based on the fact that Superstar was called Kirby of the Stars Deluxe in Japan and it was essentially a 3D installment of that series (hence the "Triple" in the name).

Anyway, for what it's worth, Superstar (Ultra) and Return to Dreamland remain the best games of the traditional variety. Triple Deluxe got close but sort of overstayed its welcome for me.

leroidys

Wut. It's the fastest platformer in the series and mainly why it's my favorite. Also why I can't stand Kirby 64. Second favorite would probably be Dreamland 2 which rarely gets enough love.

It's definitely not. I was just playing it last week. It's extremely slow, even while dashing.

I'll also say I was really underwhelmed with Return to Dreamland. They tried something different with Epic Yarn which I enjoyed, but outside of the 4 player co-op, there was almost nothing original about Return to Dreamland. Was also disappointed with how slow it felt compared to Super Star Ultra.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Either Kirby Super Star Ultra, or the one for the Wii that's not the yarn one.

deleted

Holy shit, that first post. Yes, that's the best Kirby game for me too.

I get something out of every SNES and DS Kirby game though. I'd love another shot at a Wii U Kirby with the visuals of the last game, but with classic gameplay. It's just so gorgeous!

Top Bottom