• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHAT IS THE BEST KIRBY GAME?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ultra for being Super Star and then some.

Best overall mechanics
Best variety
Best bosses
Best storylines
Best music
Best minigames
Best co-op

Haganeren

From a pure atmospheric standpoint, the Shimomura trilogy was always the best in my opinion. So Kirby 64, Kirby Dreamland 3 and even in a lesser degree Kirby Dreamland 2. Having Zero as an antagonist was really awesome.

But i can't deny the number of time i played Super Star with friend at the time... So much that i couldn't enjoy Ultra Super Star that much.... Played that game REALLY too much. Kirby really started to get stale during the GBA though and even if Canvas Curse is one of my favorite, The Mouse one made me think the serie really needed a new standard....

And that totally happened during Triple Deluxe, what a great game ! And those boss fight could have been made by Platinum Game, it's THAT good ! The Wii one was a little boring on the Level Design side but at great moments too. Not bad for a first new kirby game.

I think the serie is on very good hand now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh yeah, the Smash franchise owes much of its existence to Super Star, which served as the foundation for its core gameplay.

fernoca

1. Kirby Super Star (SNES / Ultra on DS)
2. TIE - Everything else

I really liked Super Star, but the rest are so great and played so great, even the spinoffs kike Avalanche, Pinball, Tilt N Tumble.

Rainbow Curse and Triple Deluxe are no brainers to anyone with a Wii U and 3DS.

1) Kirby's Adventure
2) Kirby: Return to Dreamland (Kirby's Adventure Wii in Europe)
3) Kirby: Triple Deluxe

I'm not actually a Kirby fan (well, not officially), but Return to Dreamland surprised me very, very much. It's one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played, and it's just completely amazing and full of variety from beginning to end. The game never seems to end, either. There's always extra stuff to do...

Triple Deluxe is not quite as good as the Wii game (it's a little easier, slightly more disappointing bosses, and a little lighter on content) but it's still completely awesome, and it's far, far ahead of my next favorite Kirby, which is probably Dream Land 2.

Inside

So many great Kirby games that it is difficult to rank them. I have only ranked the games that i own as I have never tried Kirby for N64, wii or wii u (and unfortunately I have only made gifs for the gameboy titles).

My all time favorite Kirby game is the original for the gameboy. Love the style, the basic gameplay, the levels, bosses. But it is really a shame that the game is so short.

1. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
http://i.imgur.com/mx8gtCE.webm

2. Kirby Super Star / Kirby's Fun Pak (SNES)

3. Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (GBA)

4. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)

5. Kirby Squeak Squad (DS)

6. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
http://i.imgur.com/lTPkbd1.webm

7. Kirby's Block Ball (GB)
http://i.imgur.com/SzLcWm8.webm

8. Kirby's PinBall Land (GB)
http://i.imgur.com/Z9c6iuW.webm

Kirby 64 is the best one. It's got the most creative gameplay through the ability to fuse multiple abilities together. It still blows my mind just how many different combinations you can create.

Canvas Curse is second place, second most creative game in the series IMO. It took Kirby's classic gameplay and totally revamped it for touch controls in a really unexpectedly fun way.

SalvaPot

So many great Kirby games that it is difficult to rank them. I have only ranked the games that i own as I have never tried Kirby for N64, wii or wii u (and unfortunately I have only made gifs for the gameboy titles).

My all time favorite Kirby game is the original for the gameboy. Love the style, the basic gameplay, the levels, bosses. But it is really a shame that the game is so short.

1. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
http://i.imgur.com/mx8gtCE.webm

2. Kirby Super Star / Kirby's Fun Pak (SNES)

3. Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (GBA)

4. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)

5. Kirby Squeak Squad (DS)

6. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
http://i.imgur.com/lTPkbd1.webm

7. Kirby's Block Ball (GB)
http://i.imgur.com/SzLcWm8.webm

8. Kirby's PinBall Land (GB)
http://i.imgur.com/Z9c6iuW.webm

That is a pretty cool collection! Thanks for sharing those GIFs.

Blues1990

Triple Deluxe for the more traditional Kirby experience, while Dream Course is my favourite experimental Kirby game. I also love Rainbow Curse for it's visual aesthetics.

I miss his animal friends, specifically Coo & Gooey. Did Gooey ever made an appear in another Kirby game?

Inside

That is a pretty cool collection! Thanks for sharing those GIFs.

Would love to share even more Kirby GIFs if I just had the time to make them.

Triple Deluxe for the more traditional Kirby experience, while Dream Course is my favourite experimental Kirby game. I also love Rainbow Curse for it's visual aesthetics.

You are absolutely right. Triple Deluxe plays very much like a traditional Kirby game which was a pleasant surprise for me. But like any other Kirby game it is also very easy.

ash_ag

I never realized Triple Deluxe is so good. Haven't played Kirby since Squeak Squad, baring 3D Classics Adventure. Might finally pick up Triple Deluxe!

MrBadger

Kirby Superstar Ultra. It's a better Kirby Superstar and it introduced the True Arena. Kirby bosses were always fun, but I love this new standard of having an even harder boss rush ending with a secret final boss

Triple Deluxe is pretty great as well. It's more condensed than RTDL, which I think works in its favour, and puts the 3DS's 3D to good use with creative level setpieces.

As for non-conventional Kirbies, everyone always talks about Canvas Curse but my favourite is Mass Attack

I love Canvas Curse and Air Ride.

Traditional Kirby games don't do anything for me, however. The only one I ever got myself to beating was Super Star, but I'm still largely indifferent to it.

Sakujou

Banned
holy shit, that list.

i only played the game boy game, the one on gba(i dont remember the name) and the drawing game on ds(which was really great).

back then kirby was white/yellowish, not pinkish.

i would have loved to play the wii games since they seem to be good ones...

so i would only rank it like that:

1.gb
2.ds
3.the (unknown) gba game

Munin

Super Star is the best, the others do not even come close. Too bad they put in those horrid CG cutscenes into the DS release.

And then Amazing Mirror is the dark horse of the Kirby franchise. It's Kirby Metroidvania. Kirbyvania? I would die for a sequel, the concept works so well with Kirby and the ability collecting (and Great Cave Offensive is my favourite game in Super Star)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kirby Superstar Ultra. It's a better Kirby Superstar and it introduced the True Arena. Kirby bosses were always fun, but I love this new standard of having an even harder boss rush ending with a secret final boss

Can you still completely annihilate it with Plasma like you can in the SNES original?

My first Kirby game was Fun Pak (or Superstar for the yankies) for the SNES. Going from that to the one move per power in other titles was a bit of a let down. Bought Triple Deluxe for cheap but never finished it, probably should, but despite bringing back the SNES power system, it didn't grab me and become unputdownable. It's not even a speed thing, since I like other slow paced platformers like the Wario Land titles.

Kirby Super Star,easily for me the best pink squishy blob game,along with Ultra.Although I did rather enjoy the Wii U game,but found it a little easy

Apenheul

1. Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Cooperative platformer supporting up to four players with a nice roster of playable characters and a pretty long campaign. It feels like a reimagination and looks absolutely great too.

2. Kirby's Triple Deluxe
I began to appreciate this game more and more the further I got into the game, The 2-plane 3D mechanic worked pretty well for a Kirby style of game.

3. Kirby's Fun Pack
For me this is where the Kirby franchise started to click, I loved Kirby on the NES but this upped that game in every single area.

Syril

Super Star Ultra. Return to Dreamland is a very close second for me for having gameplay that's essentially Super Star 2 and some awesome final stages.

Amazing Mirror is something I really want to try with other people because I love the idea of a multiplayer metroidvania where players and split up and reunite easily. Have there even been any other multiplayer metroidvanias?

Toxi

Banned
Superstar Ultra or Canvas Curse. Superstar Ultra is Superstar on steroids. Canvas Curse is the most fun spinoff by far.

Super Star Ultra. Return to Dreamland is a very close second for me for having gameplay that's essentially Super Star 2 and some awesome final stages.

Amazing Mirror is something I really want to try with other people because I love the idea of a multiplayer metroidvania where players and split up and reunite easily. Have there even been any other multiplayer metroidvanias?
Castlevania harmony of despair but it supposedly sucks I haven't played it yet.

Kouriozan

Super Star Ultra DS is really the best, I also liked the Wii (Return to Dreamland) and 3DS (Triple Deluxe) games a lot.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nostalgia tells me it's Kirby's Adventure, but the best modern Kirby game is Triple Deluxe while Canvas Curse will always be the best non-traditional Kirby game.

Top Bottom