• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHAT IS THE BEST KIRBY GAME?

Kirby_Super_Star_Coverart.png

Da best.

My top would be Super Star/Super Star Ultra, but I would like to give props to Triple Deluxe for making really good use of the hypernova inhalation ability. Those poor eels.

BiggNife

Super Star/Super Star Ultra for sure. I personally prefer the visual style of the original Super Star and I wasn't super impressed by the extra content added in Ultra but both games are fantastic.

Triple Deluxe and Return to Dreamland are pretty good runners up.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I really, really love Canvas Curse.

But I honestly don't recall a single Kirby game I didn't have a blast with. The series is at its best when it uses ingenuity to try out new stuff, but the "mainline" games are also great fun.

Kouichi

I'm going to go with Kirby's Air Ride personally. The amount of time my friends and I have put into City Trial is immense. It amazes me that I could still find that mode so entertaining even today.

Sami+

I don't really "get" Super Star? I was hyped for Ultra after playing Nightmare in Dreamland but I never beat it. Really weird structure.

My favorite is far and away Nightmare in Dreamland. Awesome fucking game, animation is super smooth so running around with a melee weapon like the sword or hammer makes me feel like such a boss.

RMI

Banned
I haven't played many of the kirby platformers, as they seemed a little bland to me, but Dream Course is amazing. One of my favorite games of all time, and one that I'm continuously perplexed hasn't seen a remake or sequel. It was just such an amazingly tight game. It would be fantastic on a modern console (or handheld) with updated visuals.

64 is one of my favorites because of power mixing. Thought SS was doing the same and ended up being one of my least favorites because of it not doing it except for the sword power. Super Star Ultra and the side games are my favorite.

Nottle

Super star because the mechanics had depth, each power had a movelist and the game had co-op but it was like the most fun and equal "family member is not as good at this" mode ever.

Also the variety of the different modes.

I'd like to play Triple Delux, does it have any similarities.

Also my favorite character is MetaKnight and my favorite power is PLASMA. I loved the idea of creating static to charge your ability, so creative.

Zyrox

Kirby's Dreamland was my first ever videogame, so I'll always have a very special connection to that franchise.

That said, my top 3 are:

3. Kirby's Return to Dreamland
The only Kirby game I played through in coop with a buddy. Had a great time.
2. Kirby Triple Deluxe
I played through this rather recently, and damn was it good. I really liked the multi layered level design, and the abilities all had a lot of moves and were fun to use. Enjoyed the bossfights too, and the moment
Melee's Fountai of Dreams tune came on
put a huge grin on my face. Great game. Also
playable Dedede. Fuck yes.
1. Kirby Super Star Ultra
Still the best package. Tons of content, awesome abilities, some really challenging bosses, and
playable Meta Knight
. GOAT.

Gotta give a shoutout to Kirby's air Ride though, very fun game. I put countless hours into City Trail (solo). I never got tired of that shit.

Next Kirby game should give us a character select between Dedede, MK and Kirby. Always bums me out when Dedede or MK aren't playable.

Neff

Kirby's Adventure on the NES is the first one which really blew me away and the only one I've ever wanted to 100%.

Kirby Super Star, the co-op play is just amazing. The Helper has an amazing amount of depth to it, and nearly breaks the game in some instances. But it's very fun to be the helper.

KSS Ultra had it too but you need two systems and two carts to enjoy it.

muteki

Adventure on the NES for me.

Super Star just didn't appeal to me, though I didn't spend that much time with it. I also spent a bit of time with the 64 game and I believe the DS Canvas Curse and they didn't beat Adventure either.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kirby Super Star, the co-op play is just amazing. The Helper has an amazing amount of depth to it, and nearly breaks the game in some instances. But it's very fun to be the helper.

I remember when me and my friend discovered the power of T.A.C.

L Thammy

SUPER STAR WAS THE BEST FOR A LONG TIME BECAUSE OF THE VARIETY, FANTASTIC COOP AND LARGE MOVESETS. I'D SAY THAT RETURN TO DREAMLAND TOPPED IT THOUGH. IT DOESN'T HAVE QUITE THE SAME VARIETY, BUT IT ADDS IN THE COLLECTATHON ASPECTS OF THE NON-SAKURAI DREAM LAND GAMES, IMPROVES SOME OF THE MORE BORING MOVESETS LIKE CUTTER, AND EXTRA MODE IS A BIG PLUS.

THE NON-SAKURAI GAMES TEND TO BE A LOT SLOWER SO I DON'T LIKE THEM AS MUCH. ESPECIALLY 64, EVEN THOUGH COMBINING POWERS IS COOL.

FOR THE NON-TRADITIONAL-PLATFORMERS, THEY'RE ALL PRETTY GOOD, BUT MASS ATTACK IS PROBABLY THE BEST OVERALL AS FAR AS I'VE PLAYED. THERE'S JUST A TON OF CONTENT THERE. KIRBY'S BLOCK BALL IS REALLY GOOD THOUGH, IT FEELS LIKE IT'S FRAMED LIKE A HIGH-QUALITY PLATFORMER EVEN THOUGH IT'S A PUZZLE GAME, IF THAT MAKES ANY SENSE.

Wow, this post is annoying to look at. :|

Well obviously the correct answer is Super Star. :v It perfected the formula, and nothing quite had such a good balance on content.

10. Kirby's Dream Land 3
9. Kirby Air Ride - Criminally underrated!!
8. Kirby's Dream Land 2
7. Kirby: Triple Deluxe
6. Kirby's Epic Yarn
5. Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble
4. Kirby: Mass Attack
3. Kirby: Canvas Curse
2. Kirby's Adventure
1. Kirby Super Star

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The Crystal Shards!

But those on the GBA are so much fun too...

Also, the best soundtrack in the series is on Epic Yarn

For traditional Kirby, I still think Super Star is the best. Along with The Amazing Mirror, Adventure/Nightmare in DreamLand, Return to DreamLand and Triple Deluxe it constitutes the top tier of Kirby games.

There are many great spinoffs. Tilt n Tumble, Air Ride, Canvas Curse (sadly can't play Rainbow Curse due to lack of a Wii U) and Mass Attack are totally worth a play.

Astral Dog

I think Return to Dreamland is the best, most complete Kirby adventure.
I also have a spot for the Dark Matter trilogy, despite its flaws

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Favorite would have to be Super Star Ultra, followed by Canvas Curse, but I haven't played too much of the series. Epic Yarn gets points for its music and art style. Least favorite would be Mass Attack... it just didn't feel very fun for me to play, I don't like games like this or W101 where you indirectly control a ton of guys at once.

Damn, this thread makes me realize I gotta get in on dat Triple Deluxe... Also want to play Amazing Mirror since I love Metroidvania games.

Top Bottom