• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best NES Megaman game ?

Ok GAF, I got 5€ as part of the Nintendo Wii U Deluxe program and all the Megaman games are 2.49€ until today.

Which ones should I get ? I know the 2nd is great.

Edit: Only 1 -> 6 available.

OnPoint

My vote goes to 2.

3 is almost as good but it stretches a little too long.

My personal ranking is:

3>2>1>5>4>6

Murrah

Banned
2 or 3, any other answer is insane (6 is neat for something a little different though)

2 > 3 > 4 > 6 > 5 > 1

kimtish

Neo Member
Honestly, they're all great platformers. Even the "bad one" (6) is better than most platfirmers on the NES. The formula is solid, so it all comes down to level design.

2 has the best levels, but 3 has the most imaginative (Snakeman!)

I'd do 4 op. Dare to be different.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I like 3 best, but I think 2 has the better soundtrack overall. Either way, they're both pretty great.

Seems like it's gonna be 2 and 3.

4 seems good too, but I've read too much mixed opinions. I'd rather be sure of what I'll get.

Ludist210

3 gets the slights edge over 2 from me, but both are on pretty equal ground. For me personally...

3 > 2 > 5 > 6 > 4 > 1

EdgeXL

I find that Mega Man 2 is the most forgiving of the 6 NES titles. I also think it has the best level design and weapons.

Davey Cakes

Best? Not sure. MM2 is great for having difficulty options.

My favorite has always been Mega Man 3. Best soundtrack in the series. The addition of the slide was nice and didn't particularly unbalance the game before the charge shot came out in MM4. The Doc Robot stages are a cool addition before Wily's Castle and have those nice MM2 callbacks as well.

I kind of think the level design was spot on, too.

Mega Man 3, in fact, is the only classic MM game that I ever owned. Never felt the need to buy any of the others. Plenty of Blockbuster rentals though.

I'm pretty torn between 3 or 6.

1 feels pretty outdated. The high score system, the item drops, the sound effects, the graphics...
2 is okay. Some of the graphics feel outdated by NES Mega Man standards. Metal Blade is dumb. Personally, I think this is very overrated because it's the first Mega Man for a lot of people.
3 is great. The extra bosses/stages are HARD but are nice additions. The introduction of slide makes the gameplay feel much much faster.
4 introduced charged shots, though it still felt soft here. Probably because Megaman glows green. Some nice hidden weapons.
5 had the best feeling charged shots out of all NES Mega Man titles. It really feels powerful. Beat is nice. Disliked the water jet though.
6 introduced alternate armor. It probably has one of the best graphics on the NES. The credits melody always gives me feels.

Maxim726X

2 is the best, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Possibly the best soundtrack on that console... Play on hard mode.

lazygecko

4 used to be my favorite early on, but over time my fondness of it has diminished. I think what I like the most about it is that the graphics seem more vibrant overall, like Dive Man and Ring Man's stages. Also love how Mega Man flashes in bright neon green when charged up. The charge mechanic overall just turned out to bee too gimicky and not that well thought out though. Same thing with the utility powers like the Rush submarine and grappling hook.

5 is my favorite right now. Great level design and the music is noticably different from the other entries in the series. And the charging was much better balanced

4 has the best intro + title music and 5 has the best credits music.

englandprevails

Neo Member
Mega Man 3 is my go to game in the series followed by Mega Man 2. The music in 2 is the best but the length and difficulty of 3 is very hard to beat.

3 is probably my favorite, although I also really like 4 and 5. I think 2 is overrated (it's still great), 1 feels a bit dated, and 6 kinda overstayed its welcome (though it's still pretty good).

I've got to back Mega Man 3, I just feel like it has the most consistently strong level design across the game compared to the other entries, that and the slide is neato.

DMiz

Definitely Mega Man 2. Great music, great bosses, and it just flows from start to finish.

In all honesty, you're probably going to see a lot of people picking between 2 and 3. If you had to somehow break the vote, I'd say go on YouTube to listen to some of the boss/stage tracks and find the one that has more music you like (though again, both have incredible music!)

I was always disappointed with how the remainder of the sextet turned out, though...

Top Bottom