• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the better movie, The Matrix (1999) or Terminator 2 Judgment Day

Which is better

• The Matrix

Votes: 89 35.0%
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Votes: 165 65.0%

• Total voters

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I have seen T2 in years and I’ve been craving a watch for so long. But I’ve been holding out until I can visit my buddy in Nashville so I can watch it on Laserdisc.

Trogdor1123

Matrix still looks incredible.

keanu reeves neo GIF
While I agree, that’s not from the Matrix

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Matrix was an all new experience. Great music, amazing fight scenes using CGI and photography tech never used before (at least in this capacity---Bullet-Time). Was just a roller coaster ride from beginning to the end. T2 was good but not AS good. or as groundbreaking.

Saber

Gold Member
I have great respect for Matrix, as I think its a masterfully crafted film. But it's does not beat T2.

The Stig

I really do love them both.

Very hard to choose.

I think that technically T2 is a better movie.

edit - but what do I know? I think Starship Troopers is literally better than sliced bread.

Last edited:
I prefer the Matrix. It even has better parodies:

The best Terminator 2 inspired was this:

Judgment Day is a masterpiece. Not only the greatest sequel of all time but one of the greatest action movies ever made.
Lethal Weapon 2 and Mad Max: The Road Warior made me forget about the original films. Terminator 2 made me want to watch the first film again and forget the second half of T2 existed. However, if we are talking about all film genres then nothing beats Dawn of the Dead (1978).

Last edited:
I give the edge to T2 for a few reasons.
1. Linda Hamilton gave the performance of her life in that film. Oscar worthy!
2. The Special effects in 91 were some “Holy Fucking Shit!” Level stuff. (T-1000, Nuclear Bomb Scene, Liquid Nitrogen)
3. It was THE ending to the franchise that was needed. Other movies were cash grabs!
4. Dived into the consequences of AI almost a decade prior to The Matrix.

Now if someone were to choose The Matrix, I wouldn’t say they were wrong either because it was a damn good film.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Matrix was an all new experience. Great music, amazing fight scenes using CGI and photography tech never used before (at least in this capacity---Bullet-Time). Was just a roller coaster ride from beginning to the end. T2 was good but not AS good. or as groundbreaking.
T2 imo did way more impressive stuff than the Matrix. From the practical effects to Liquid Metal cgi.

The Matrix had two shots with time freeze going for it, booth kind of meh once they actually happen.

WitchHunter

Banned
"They coexist. And that's the way it is. Positions, ranking... is just plain nonsense."

According to wise pepl.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
Both are amazing. I like T2 a bit more but what we should really be discussing is how shitty everything else that came after both in each franchise was.

Muffdraul

Might as well flip a coin. I voted for the Matrix, though if you put a gun to my head I can't honestly say I think it's better or like it more. But if you put both 4K UHDs in front of me right now and told me to watch one, I'd watch The Matrix. Why? Honestly no idea. I just would.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The Matrix for me. T2 is a good popcorn flick but The Matrix legit had a lot of people wondering what was real on the way out of the theater.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
T2 holds up incredibly well, as does the Matrix. I feel like The Matrix had a much bigger impact on culture.

However the best action movie ever made is Predator.

violence

There was a time where the matrix was my favorite movie ever, but I just can’t think of it the same way anymore.

Last edited:

Fbh

Damn that's really hard.

As a movie, as in "what would you rather watch right now" I'd have to go with T2.
But in terms of setting and ideas I definitely think The Matrix is better.

Aside from the T 100, T2 is mostly based on the ideas of the original, while The Matrix introduced a whole bunch of cool and interesting new stuff.

TheGrat1

The Matrix.

I love T2. That being said the action scenes in the Matrix blow T2 out of the water. The stunt work, the choreography, the cinematography, the FUCKING MUSIC! It is not even close.

Someone in this thread called the T-1000 the most awesome villain ever. No offense but be serious. The T-1000 is barely even a character. A single-minded literal automaton with no interesting personality, it is functionally no different than the shark from Jaws. Agent Smith, a literal computer program is 15 times the character the T-1000 will ever be based on first movie alone. That scene where he confesses to Morpheus that he hates the Matrix is iconic. Even the T-800 was more interesting in the first film, it had to work harder considering it could not heal any damage and got way more screentime.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
T2

More groundbreaking
More important for VFX
Best villain in film
More iconic protaganist
Better music
Has Arnold Schwarzenegger
Minigun scene with "Trust me" playing
Inspired the late great Akira Toriyama to create Future Trunks and gave us the GOAT Arc in anime history in Android/Cell saga

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
T2 is probably the better movie right now. As in to watch today. The Matrix, I think, has aged worse. Probably because T2 is more of a traditional movie, but The Matrix included themes that were so cutting edge at the time (for mainstream cinema) that with hindsight some things don't resonate quite so much.

Both giant moments in pop culture though, undeniably.

EDIT: Haven't watched either in years though, so they might both suck now.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

This is a weird as hell two movies to compare OP. Completely different, other than the fact they are sci-fi.

They're both incredibly good, and probably impossible to say which one is better. Each does aspects better than the other, but they are on the same level.

Neither is the best sci-fi film ever made though.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

Not a hard choice for me at all. T2 is tied with Back to the Future for my favorite movie. The Matrix, while phenomenal, isn't even top 5 (maybe not even top 10).

Neff

Robocop > Terminator 2 > Aliens > Total Recall > Lethal Weapon 1/2 > True Lies > The Last Boy Scout > Die Hard > Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom > Point Break > Predator > Raiders of the Lost Ark > The Terminator > A Better Tomorrow 1/2 > Beverly Hills Cop 1/2 > Midnight Run > Avatar > Starship Troopers > Demolition Man > Man on Fire (2004) > The Hunt For Red October > The Untouchables > The Nice Guys > Hard Boiled > 48Hrs > Under Siege > The Running Man > Black Rain > Hard Target > The Hard Way > Red Heat > The Long Kiss Goodnight > Speed > The Matrix > Broken Arrow > Commando

StereoVsn

Matrix 1 probably takes it for me, but it really depends on the mood since T2 was amazing.

Another great movie from Cameron I loved was The Abyss. It had ground breaking special effects for the time. And of course Aliens was an amazing movie.

It’s too bad that Cameron got so far into Avatar, really didn’t like any of those movies.

rogr rogr

Robocop > Terminator 2 > Aliens > Total Recall > Lethal Weapon 1/2 > True Lies > The Last Boy Scout > Die Hard > Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom > Point Break > Predator > Raiders of the Lost Ark > The Terminator > A Better Tomorrow 1/2 > Beverly Hills Cop 1/2 > Midnight Run > Avatar > Starship Troopers > Demolition Man > Man on Fire (2004) > The Hunt For Red October > The Untouchables > The Nice Guys > Hard Boiled > 48Hrs > Under Siege > The Running Man > Black Rain > Hard Target > The Hard Way > Red Heat > The Long Kiss Goodnight > Speed > The Matrix > Broken Arrow > Commando
"Avatar"
Pfffftt :lollipop_tongue:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The Matrix had a bigger impact on me. It might have something to do with age though. I was about 4 when I saw T2. I watched The Matrix at the start of my teens. Exactly the right time to get the most out of it..

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Terminator 2. I love the Matrix but its a very boring movie to watch on repeats. T2 is paced to perfection.

Top Bottom