• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the craziest thing that has happened in your life?

Two chicks at once because it wasn't planned and I wasn't the one pushing for it. Other than that probably seeing a guy get hit by a semi and split in half when I was about 13 in Mexico.

I spent a month in Spain and rented a room from a guy while I was there. He lived in a suburb, about 20 minutes outside of downtown Madrid.

He worked a normal 9-5 job in the city. One day I took the bus to the city to explore.

Halfway through the day I was going through the subway, and I ran into the guy I was renting the room from while he was on his lunch break.

Madrid is a city of 3 million people. I was only there for a month, and yet we just happened to run into each other in the subway one day.The odds seem astronomical.

Not sure if this really counts as "my life" or of it's that crazy, but my parents were flying out of Logan Airport on September 11, 2001. Their flight, to Europe, was scheduled to leave about 90 minutes after the flights to California that crashed into the WTC. They had boarded the plane, but flights at Logan had been grounded when those two went off route so it never left the gate.

My parents get to the airport notoriously early, and it was an international flight, so they were at the airport at the same time as the 9/11 terrorists.

Dishwalla

Banned
What's asinine about it? The guy was weaving in and out of traffic at pretty much twice the speed limit. If you pull that kind of shit, you clearly have no regard for any potential consequences.

I mean I don't really need you to tell me I was being a dumbshit, I'm well aware.

Rival

Gold Member
About 13 years ago I guess I used to post on another online forum for a band that I liked and regularly would chat with a person on that forum. I believe he lived in Ohio but that's the only thing I knew about him personally. So Halloween night rolls around and the band whose forum we were on was playing a show in Chicago where I lived and I went with some of my friends and this guy went with some of his friends but we never cross paths or anything. After the show I went to another friends Halloween party and was talking to my friend Mike. Mike was drunk and had been driving(not cool) and had gotten into a car accident that night. Police did not get involved but there was some bad damage to both cars. Fast forward to the next day I'm on the bands forum and I see this guy posting about the show and how fun it was except that he had been rear ended by a drunk driver. Yep Mike had hit this guy.

Kevtones

I've been:
As a passenger rear-ended by a semi going 30
As a passenger got t-boned by a suburban going 40
Hit by a car going 20 as a pedestrian

I've also pissed off Elton John, slept with a notable soap actress, ran a marathon under 3 hours (hungover), trespassed at the most haunted castle in Ireland (Leap), beat and NBA award-winner in a basketball game while playing as him, used anal beads, never been to Olive Garden, did a gainer from 50 ft up once...

Done a lot of stuff tbh and I'm pretty boring sometimes.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I got cut off in traffic at the corner of Sunset and La Cienega by a convertible that almost caused a massive crash at an intersection. There was gridlock and when the cops showed up the guy in the convertible who caused the entire mess told the cops I was paparazzi and had chased him from his house. Cops let him go first and made us wait till he had vanished then ticketed me and the guy behind me even though I proved I had no camera and wasn't from LA.

The guy in the convertible?

Jim Carrey.*

Lucini

Banned
Went to a party in a shaky part of my town, the side of town where all of the ethnic gangs converge (Aryan Pride people, Crips, Bloods, Asian gangs, Mexican gangs, etc), which can sometimes erupt into gang warfare. I didn't know this at the time.

All of us piled into one car, 7 of us to one beat up old Camry, getting more and more scared as the neighborhood graffiti got more and more violent or crossed out. We were deep in Asian gang territory. The party was in an enclosed neighborhood, cul-de-sacs on both sides of the street, two exits (this is important). The house we were in was on the far left end, directly opposite the exit for that side. There were a ton of cars in the roundabout, filling the street and making parking damn near a nightmare. So we parked on the other side of the cul-de-sac, which was empty. We walk up to the party, and people are being patted down before they're allowed in. *first red flag*

One of our good friends was inside already, drunk and high and looking a little off. I ask him what's up, and he's a little too happy to see us. Drinks get passed our way, we get told to head upstairs for the "real party" which ended up being strippers in one room. After a few drinks, I ended up flirting with a girl from my college in there. The group had kind of split up in the upstairs portion of the house. Probably an hour into this whole thing, I'm alone with this girl getting friendly...gunshots go off and they sound like they are close *second red flag*

Then the gunshots get really close, and I hear windows breaking and people screaming. At that point, I'm on the second floor. I start the headcount, find 6 people (realized after a moment that I'm the 7th) and we decide that we have to get the hell out of there. Can't go downstairs, because at this point, people are returning fire from downstairs. We go to a side room, see a window to the backyard and jump out of it into a bush. At that point, we jump what felt like 50 fences to get to the other side of the neighborhood where we parked. We can hear a helicopter and sirens. We all get in the Camry...won't start. Eventually it turns over and we head for this side's exit. People are still shooting on the other side, people are laying on the ground...it looks like something out of a movie. We drive the hour home in silence, some in tears, some just in shock. Wildest shit ever.

18-Volt

My uncle had a summer beach house in Saint Tropez back in early 90s, and it was pretty fun thing to spot celebrities in downtown. But most important one was Elton John, who supposed to have a place close to ours, came down to our vineyard to check it out, and had a conversation with my father and little me. I didn't know who he was back then, though.

But real craziest thing was, back in high school when I was training to be a kick boxer/MMA fighter, got my ass kicked in a small international tournament by my Russian opponent and after the match the dude went berserk and beat me even further. Blood was everywhere.I remember getting lots of stitches after that.

MilkyJoe

Missed my flight to Cuba, had to fly to a different airport, 10 hours drive from my destination, cab driver decided to use my journey to earn a few extra pesos, so picked up someone en route, guy had a gun and a brick of cocaine. 10 hours in the back with a language barrier.

Got hoodwinked into taking part in a witchcraft ceremony by the high priestess of England.

Fell off a cliff, got caught on the way down by my brother.

Spent a night getting drunk with Nuno from Extreme.

Lots of stuff really

SummitAve

Banned
Somebody down the street had somebody from the circus staying with them, and they were walking their pet tiger down the street like a dog. I saw it when I was headed outside, and got to pet it and everything. Very surreal.

About 10 years ago I exhibited at a motorsport exhibition in Koln, Germany. Throughout the week myself and colleagues were positioned in our booth opposite a company from Indianapolis.

(For clarity our company were from Northampton, UK and I'm personally originally from a tiny Welsh village called Rhos).

During the first day, a chap on the opposite stand caught my attention and I was convinced I recognised him. He had an Irish accent, so I put it down to motorsport being a relatively small industry and figured I must know him from an magazine article or TV appearance.

As the week wore on, I kept wracking my brains trying to work it out, but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

On the last day, we invited the guys from the nearby stands to go out for a celebratory drink. That evening myself and this guy got chatting; I told him I found him amazing familiar, but had no idea where from. He said well I'm from Northern Ireland originally and now live in the States, but recognised I had a Welsh accent and said he lived in Wales for a while.

I asked him where and said, have you heard of a town called Wrexham? Amazed I said yes that's where I'm from! Then he followed that up with well when I was there I lived in this small village called Rhos... I was blown away.

It turned out that he used to work for a race parts company called Demon Tweeks, and he used to get the same bus as I did to school every morning. Then we got talking about the village and I mentioned how my mum lived there her entire life and that he'd probably recognise her if I described her... so I did, and it turned out that she used to chat to him on the bus and in the supermarket regularly.

This story occurred on Christmas Eve, on a vacation to my cousin in New Jersey. It was him, his girlfriend, our cousin, and I. We were all on our way to the girlfriend's Christmas party at her work. There, were we all drinking and smoking and enjoying ourselves and we met her three bosses/owners of the place. I vaguely remember one of the bosses kept trying to fold my brim on my hat, even though I repeatedly told him I liked it straight.

Anyway, the girl has the idea to drive to 7-11 and since we (the group of four) had munchies, we all drove together. We come back to the party roughly 15 minutes later and everyone at the party was gone except for the three owners. Before we even fully park, the doors are rushed open and all of us were dragged out of the car.

At this point we have no idea what's going on. We're dragged into the store and tossed onto the ground. The entire time I hear screaming about a stolen car teaching us a lesson. My friend tries to run away but couldn't open the door and gets forced down onto the ground.

I shit you not one of the owners takes off his belt and we all expected an ass whooping. He takes off his shirt and I thought we were about to be raped. He gets on his knees. He yells at the top of his voice, "You made me do this! You made me do this!" And then proceeds to whip himself with the metal part of the belt until he's bleeding all over.

He goes to another owner and tells him to get the machete. A few moments later in the back we can hear someone asking if they should bring the chainsaw! We hear it revving up and honestly we're at tears at this point. We were just teenagers about to be chopped up!

One of them comes up to me and tells me he's going to chop off my balls and points to my junk with the machete. All this is going on with my friends screaming, a man hitting himself and crying about a divorce, and a loud ass chainsaw in the background.

Out of nowhere one of them opens the door and says, "Go."

Shit.... we don't even think about it. We fucking JET out of there and don't even look back. We're ducking and hiding in bushes and a avoiding every car on the street because we assumed we were being hunted.

It was all just so bizarre.

I'm on mobile btw if there are any errors, forgive me.

Finding someone that had been murdered at work (an office building) so I called it in. The dispatcher had me do a bunch of checks to the body to determine if she might still be alive while we waiting for police to arrive.

Also, was at one of the schools back in 1998 that had a school shooting take place. I didn't see much but I was locked in my classroom in the dark by myself so I played my violin to pass the time and watched a girl that was shot stumble out to her car and wait for paramedics.

The school shooting is probably the more rare event to be a part of but the proximity and involvement of being the first on an unexpected murder scene makes the former more prominent in my mind as being a little crazier.

Obscura

I think I've mentioned this before but it's worth repeating. Leaving out certain info as to not derail the thread.

In, I think, 2006 my dad had a few days work in LA and invited me to come along as Motorhead were playing LA for their 30th anniversary tour. I grew up traveling with him mostly listening to Motorhead and The Smiths on long drives so it was a big deal for us both. Once we got there he surprised me with backstage passes (long story short, he knows Motorhead). We head back and hang out with Phil Campbell and Mikkey Dee of Motorhead while Lemmy was doing his thing in his personal dressing room. We decide to go check out Corrosion of Conformity who are currently playing and as we are heading out to the crowd Kerry King of Slayer walks in, stops, looks right at me and says "I owe you an autograph" (another long story). That blew my fucking mind but the night didn't end there. After we go back backstage I got to meet Lemmy the God which is still my happiest moment. From there it jist got stranger. I met Ronnie James Dio who was carrying around a life size foam statue of Regan from The Excorcist (it was cursed he said and needed to give it back to it's original owner Phil Campbell), a guy from Poison, the guy who played Leatherface in the TCM remake, people I've forgotten and last but not least, Dave Grohl. That was pretty wild as within minutes of meeting him I got into a heated argument over whether or not the death metal band Nile were worthy to tour with King Diamond. Then at the after party I saw him brawling with another guy on the floor.

It was a crazy, beautiful night for 16-17 year old me.

Regiruler

I was a minor deity in a cult when I was a kid.

Is this what you looked like?
latest

(I don't think anything can top this post tbh)

I saw Jim Carrey at a grocery store in Los Angeles once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

hohoXD123

I saw Jim Carrey at a grocery store in Los Angeles once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Yeah, my childhood was ruined when I learned that he was a bit of a cock in real life.

Nairume

Banned
I can say, that by the end of getting a degree in archaeology, I had a gun pulled on me by a smuggler who was stealing artifacts from various dig sites and I fought a nazi with a sword.

Telling people I'm afraid of snakes just makes them laugh because they think it's all a joke now :(

Macheezmo

Probably a house fire when I was like 12. I was over at a friend's house a couple miles away on new year's eve, and at around 10pm there was a call from someone telling me my house was on fire. I didn't think he was serious until I looked out the window and I could see the bright orange sky. I got them to take me home and my dad and brother were outside and we just watched our house burn into the new year. Our dog didn't make it out.
We lived a long ways away from town so the fire trucks couldn't save anything.

Nairume

Banned
Also, there was a time when a few of us went to an MST3K panel about the (then) two Tom Servos, J. Elvis Weinstein and Kevin Murphy. Since we got in early, we managed to get into the center of the front row and were primed to see/hear all the hilarity.

When the panel actually started, the people in the seats immediately behind us started quietly cutting up a bunch, which we ignored at first. We continued to ignore them as they got louder and louder throughout the panel. Then they started to openly heckle Weinstein and Murphy, at which point my group all just turned around to tell them to shut up...

...before seeing that the hecklers behind us were Joel Hodgson, Trace Beaulieu, Mary Jo Pehl, Frank Conniff, and Bill Corbett, all of whom gave us a knowing laugh or winked.

Afterward, Trace Beaulieu started talking to us and told us that we should follow him around if we didn't have anything else to do at the con. So we did.

GiantBeagle

Neo Member
About a month after I passed my driving test a woman rear ended me at about 50. I was stationary at the back of a traffic queue and she didn't notice the queue (it was at the apex of a steep slip road and she was really going for it speeding up to get on the carriageway.) She got out and started saying she was pregnant etc. As if that made it OK. She then went off at me later when I told her how much damage she had done. She expected it to be a few hundred but it was nearly 2 grand. Car ended up getting written off by my insurance.

That was about 8 months ago and I'm still being treated for back injuries. Still waiting for compensation. Shit way to start driving.

There's stuff thats probably way crazier but that's still in the forefront of my mind because it was so recent.

Plum

Not as crazy as some people's stories but the time I had multiple, completely isolated seizures during a single night whilst on holiday. I had to stay in hospital for a week and then take tablets for two years or so afterwards. Despite having a brain scan (which was more relaxing than traumatic tbh) no doctors were able to figure out what the cause was. I can't remember anything of the night I had them but from what my family said it looked like I had died, they were fucking terrified. Thankfully it hasn't happened again.

mike6467

After ending a 2 year relationship with a woman, she became hostile and eventually required the threat of a restraining order. I used to have a box of memories for that relationship, it slowly morphed into a box of evidence.

Initially she wrote my Mom a 10 page, double sided hand written letter saying that she had been carrying my child (physically impossible by roughly 3.5 months). She then claimed she miscarried due to a sexual assault (with an absurdly intricate story involving 4chan pictures and graphic details). While I knew I hadn't gotten her pregnant, the rest of the story got debunked when multiple sources confirmed she never attended that party, and her roommates confirmed she hadn't left the house at all during a 4 day stretch around it). This was only known to me when my Mom called me bewildered wondering what the fuck had been going on and wanted to know why I hadn't told her the girl was pregnant. I had zero clue about any of it and at the time thought we were all done, no contact, move on...done. That letter also contained veiled physical threats to several family members (my 5 year old nieces were the particularly disturbing onds).

Even with that, the craziest stuff was the stuff she did to try to get me back. When asked for proof of the pregnancy, she said she had taken the one ultrasound along with a letter she wrote and left them on my father's grave in the hopes that he would protect the child in heaven. Not kidding.

A month or two later I got a box with no return address, inside were several letters that a random person claimed they had found in the remnants of the flooding that had happened (the flooding was legit actually). One letter was supposedly from my (also passed away) step-dad, telling me how amazing this girl was, and that he had left a gift for the both of us WITH HER to give me when we got married. She tried to fucking forge his handwriting in a two page letter that just praised her and told me how lucky I was to have her. My Mom saw that (my step dad also didn't like this girl much) and I had to stop her from going to choke her.

There was more, but that's the craziest stuff. Like I said I've got a box documenting all this in case I disappeared or had to pursue more legal avenues.

I know it seems like there would've been warning signs, but this girl was a lawyer, hyper rational and had never shown signs of any of this type of manipulation during the two years we were together. Needless to say, it takes me a lot longer to trust women I'm starting relationships with now.

Probably 9/11 since I went to school a few blocks away from the site. I used to pass in front of the area where the buildings used to be, and I'm probably only here because I didn't go to class that morning. I remember not seeing some of my classmates anymore after it happened.

I can say, that by the end of getting a degree in archaeology, I had a gun pulled on me by a smuggler who was stealing artifacts from various dig sites and I fought a nazi with a sword.

Telling people I'm afraid of snakes just makes them laugh because they think it's all a joke now :(

So you get to carry a bullwhip to work?

After ending a 2 year relationship with a woman, she became hostile and eventually required the threat of a restraining order. I used to have a box of memories for that relationship, it slowly morphed into a box of evidence.

Initially she wrote my Mom a 10 page, double sided hand written letter saying that she had been carrying my child (physically impossible by roughly 3.5 months). She then claimed she miscarried due to a sexual assault (with an absurdly intricate story involving 4chan pictures and graphic details). While I knew I hadn't gotten her pregnant, the rest of the story got debunked when multiple sources confirmed she never attended that party, and her roommates confirmed she hadn't left the house at all during a 4 day stretch around it). This was only known to me when my Mom called me bewildered wondering what the fuck had been going on and wanted to know why I hadn't told her the girl was pregnant. I had zero clue about any of it and at the time thought we were all done, no contact, move on...done. That letter also contained veiled physical threats to several family members (my 5 year old nieces were the particularly disturbing onds).

Even with that, the craziest stuff was the stuff she did to try to get me back. When asked for proof of the pregnancy, she said she had taken the one ultrasound along with a letter she wrote and left them on my father's grave in the hopes that he would protect the child in heaven. Not kidding.

A month or two later I got a box with no return address, inside were several letters that a random person claimed they had found in the remnants of the flooding that had happened (the flooding was legit actually). One letter was supposedly from my (also passed away) step-dad, telling me how amazing this girl was, and that he had left a gift for the both of us WITH HER to give me when we got married. She tried to fucking forge his handwriting in a two page letter that just praised her and told me how lucky I was to have her. My Mom saw that (my step dad also didn't like this girl much) and I had to stop her from going to choke her.

There was more, but that's the craziest stuff. Like I said I've got a box documenting all this in case I disappeared or had to pursue more legal avenues.

I know it seems like there would've been warning signs, but this girl was a lawyer, hyper rational and had never shown signs of any of this type of manipulation during the two years we were together. Needless to say, it takes me a lot longer to trust women now lol.

Yeeeeeaaahhhh... she's not mentally well. Good thing it didn't get any worse.

steveovig

I got into a bad car accident in 1996. I'm not sure if it's related but I have depression and anxiety disorders. I seemed to enjoy life until that point, as a child. Sometimes, when I'm super depressed, I wish that I had died in the accident.

Stevey

I saw Jim Carrey at a grocery store in Los Angeles once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, ”Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was ”Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going ”huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like ”Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually ”to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Wow, he sounds like a complete dick.

My dumb story:

When I was 19 in 2002 I put a fake number plate on my motorbike (a 1990 Honda VFR400) as I already had 6 penalty points on my license and any more as it hadnt been 2 years since I pased my test would mean a ban.

Got stopped doing 40mph in a 30mph zone, waited til the police bike pulled me over, then just fucking nailed it away from him, had like a 10 mile chase, decided to stop when I saw 2 more police bikes and a van heading towards me.
They arrested me on suspicion of theft, then de-arrested me when the bike checked out to be mine when I told them the real number plate.
Heard nothing for 6 months, then got summoned to county court.
Instantly thrown out and went to crown court.
Got a solicitor who said it was 50/50 either a massive ban and fine or 6 months in prison as I was clocked doing 112mph in a 30mph zone.
Went to crown court, stood in the dock, got searched by Group4- who take you to prison.
They read all the stuff out, played the video from the policemans bike who was chasing me, I just stared at the floor, was really scared.
Said I was really sorry and that I panicked when I saw the blue lights behind me as I needed my bike to get to work.
Got a 2 and a half year ban, had to pay like a few hundred pounds costs and got 180 hours community service.
After the ban was up, had to reapply for my provisional, redo my CBT, then an extended full bike retest, failed the first time, then got it.
First years insurance on a 1998 Suzuki bandit 600 was £1200, then after a clean year of riding dropped down to £300.

Never got a single penalty point in the following 12 or so years to the present day.

I've had some crazy shit happen to me, here are a few stories...

When I was 18, my dad kicked me out of the house. He was getting remarried, and his new wife said that he had to cut off all contact with his old family. Spent some time in my $500 car, crawling through my last days of high school, until my friends realized what was happening and I moved in with one of them. I spent about a year in dicey financial straits and in between living situations. Really taught me how to humbly accept help and seriously upgraded my compassion and empathy for everyone living in poverty, on welfare, etc.

I was strip searched after a flight back to Miami from Amsterdam. Apparently I matched the description of someone coming through with a bunch of weed. When they realized they were wrong, I did even get an apology. I was 17 at the time and didn't know my rights.

I got stuck driving home from Little Haiti to Cutler Ridge in South Florida during a hurricane...I think it was Wilma. Everyone on the highway was barreling along fast af to get out of there. One dude sideswiped me like some Ben Hur shit, it was pretty scary, but we just kept sliding off of each other because of the speed and kept on going. At that point, what were we going to do, stop and take down info? It's like Mad Max or something, the law is suddenly suspended and you're just out there for survival.

While I was in college, I worked at a limo/luxury towncar service. I was a dispatcher who had to manage the drivers, checking in with them, calling client reps, etc. The office was pretty insane: I was there for almost four years and a lot of strange things happened (excerpted from a thread on crazy work tales):

- The owner of the place loved dogs, and rescued them. The only issue was that the dogs actually lived at the office, and at Peak Dog we had about 12. The office wasn't huge, so you were constantly stepping around the dogs as they barked, yelped, had sex with each other, and ran through the halls. You'd often be on the phone with clients and the dogs would be barking their heads off. "Is that...a dog? Do I hear a dog?" "Yeah, um...the window's open, sorry..." The lead/alpha dog was extremely small, blind, and deaf, and she would careen through the halls, screeching, as a dozen other dogs ran behind her, tumbling and falling over each other.

The dogs only ate human food, so our office freezer was filled with these rotisserie chickens that were only for the dogs. A co-worker ate one once and was nearly fired. To this day, I can't eat rotisserie chicken, because I associate it with dog food. If the office ordered food for the staff, the dogs got first dibs; when we'd get pizza, the dogs would get the first pie, and we'd have to wait until they were done before we could dig into our own grub. The dogs would immediately barf up the pizza after eating it, of course, which sent the office owner into fits of laughter, at which point she'd have the janitor come and clean it up.

- The office owner's ex-husband was the head mechanic. He managed all of the cars and ostensibly kept them running in top shape (they were constantly breaking down, though). He was a real strange guy who was big into "freeballing", i.e. he wore high-rise daisy duke jean shorts with no underwear, so his balls were always dangling out. He was always talking about how free and clean it was. I would just tune these conversations out and remind myself that I needed to pay my rent in a couple of weeks.

One day, I heard him scream "COMING THROUGH!" and he came hurtling through the hall and ran into the bathroom. I was suddenly hit by a horrible smell and we all looked over the office divider and realized that he had left a trail of shit all through the hall. He had pooped himself, and without any underwear to mitigate this humiliation, it had seeped right out of his daisy dukes and plopped out. It was one of the worst things I've ever seen in an office, I have no idea how this guy wasn't ashamed to show his face around there again. He came out of the bathroom like it was all good and the janitor cleaned it up. The mechanic didn't even have the basic courtesy to help.

- When I worked the overnight shift, one of my co-workers was a former gang enforcer who was really into Dungeons and Dragons. He would get completely baked right there in the office (I didn't partake, honest) and we would talk about how to best create a great pen and paper system. We eventually designed this game called Gangsters and Alleyways and had all of these stats and ideas written down in a series of notebooks. There were a lot of profiles of the characters who lived in this universe, with bios, stats, etc. This co-worker was eventually nailed for some serious drug possession charges, and the cops found all of the Gangsters and Alleyways notebooks in his apartment. They believed that the character profiles were about real gang members and they thought that they had hit the mother-load that would allow them to really take down all of these guys. I had to actually testify on this guy's behalf that it was all for a fake game and "Jackson Biggs, Ronin Enforcer" wasn't a real person.

- The drivers and staff would constantly take out the limos and bring prostitutes and tons of drugs back to the office. I was always opening a door and seeing some crazy shit going down. I was usually the only one working at 3 in the morning, while everyone else was off getting coked up out of their minds and hooking up with these old prostitutes.

We had this crazy driver who had been in the mafia back in Romania, and he would turn some late nights into this weird mafia fever dream. I'd walk into the back office and he'd be siting at the office owner's desk, with a huge stack of cash, cocaine, and a gun in front of him, and a couple of prostitutes on either side. Other drivers and staff would be lined up to get drugs, etc. He'd look up at me, smile, and say, "Well well, what can I do for you, my friend?" while gesturing to everything. I would just laugh, get the hell out of there, and try to make sure that I didn't put my fingerprints on anything.

A pretty cool story that wasnt me but my brother.

This dude had a heart attack at the hotel we worked at. My bro ran to the first aid room literally kicking the door in because it was locked. Grabbed the defibrillator and ran back to the lobby and used it on the guy while giving him CPR before EMTs arrived. Totally saved the guys life. He was just a regular employee but he was trained for this kinda shit so he just acted. The city was awarding him some medal for bravery and when he was on his way to receive the medal he witnessed a crazy car accident on the highway. There was an old couple trapped inside their car and it caught fire. My brother got out of his car and smashed the windows and unbuckled both of them and pulled both of them away from the wreckage.

They wrote an article about him in the paper being a real life superhero lol. My parents were so proud of him. I was too. Pretty cool shit.

Edit: just for reference he is a trained paramedic, he was a firefighter for a while, a martial arts trainer and worked private security for a long time. Hes also 6ft 6 and 280lbs. So he knew what he was doing.

Jencks

Banned

When I was 18, my dad kicked me out of the house. He was getting remarried, and his new wife said that he had to cut off all contact with his old family. Spent some time in my $500 car, crawling through my last days of high school, until my friends realized what was happening and I moved in with one of them. I spent about a year in dicey financial straits and in between living situations. Really taught me how to humbly accept help and seriously upgraded my compassion and empathy for everyone living in poverty, on welfare, etc.

I was strip searched after a flight back to Miami from Amsterdam. Apparently I matched the description of someone coming through with a bunch of weed. When they realized they were wrong, I did even get an apology. I was 17 at the time and didn't know my rights.

I got stuck driving home from Little Haiti to Cutler Ridge in South Florida during a hurricane...I think it was Wilma. Everyone on the highway was barreling along fast af to get out of there. One dude sideswiped me like some Ben Hur shit, it was pretty scary, but we just kept sliding off of each other because of the speed and kept on going. At that point, what were we going to do, stop and take down info? It's like Mad Max or something, the law is suddenly suspended and you're just out there for survival.

While I was in college, I worked at a limo/luxury towncar service. I was a dispatcher who had to manage the drivers, checking in with them, calling client reps, etc. The office was pretty insane: I was there for almost four years and a lot of strange things happened (excerpted from a thread on crazy work tales):

- The owner of the place loved dogs, and rescued them. The only issue was that the dogs actually lived at the office, and at Peak Dog we had about 12. The office wasn't huge, so you were constantly stepping around the dogs as they barked, yelped, had sex with each other, and ran through the halls. You'd often be on the phone with clients and the dogs would be barking their heads off. "Is that...a dog? Do I hear a dog?" "Yeah, um...the window's open, sorry..." The lead/alpha dog was extremely small, blind, and deaf, and she would careen through the halls, screeching, as a dozen other dogs ran behind her, tumbling and falling over each other.

The dogs only ate human food, so our office freezer was filled with these rotisserie chickens that were only for the dogs. A co-worker ate one once and was nearly fired. To this day, I can't eat rotisserie chicken, because I associate it with dog food. If the office ordered food for the staff, the dogs got first dibs; when we'd get pizza, the dogs would get the first pie, and we'd have to wait until they were done before we could dig into our own grub. The dogs would immediately barf up the pizza after eating it, of course, which sent the office owner into fits of laughter, at which point she'd have the janitor come and clean it up.

- The office owner's ex-husband was the head mechanic. He managed all of the cars and ostensibly kept them running in top shape (they were constantly breaking down, though). He was a real strange guy who was big into "freeballing", i.e. he wore high-rise daisy duke jean shorts with no underwear, so his balls were always dangling out. He was always talking about how free and clean it was. I would just tune these conversations out and remind myself that I needed to pay my rent in a couple of weeks.

One day, I heard him scream "COMING THROUGH!" and he came hurtling through the hall and ran into the bathroom. I was suddenly hit by a horrible smell and we all looked over the office divider and realized that he had left a trail of shit all through the hall. He had pooped himself, and without any underwear to mitigate this humiliation, it had seeped right out of his daisy dukes and plopped out. It was one of the worst things I've ever seen in an office, I have no idea how this guy wasn't ashamed to show his face around there again. He came out of the bathroom like it was all good and the janitor cleaned it up. The mechanic didn't even have the basic courtesy to help.

- When I worked the overnight shift, one of my co-workers was a former gang enforcer who was really into Dungeons and Dragons. He would get completely baked right there in the office (I didn't partake, honest) and we would talk about how to best create a great pen and paper system. We eventually designed this game called Gangsters and Alleyways and had all of these stats and ideas written down in a series of notebooks. There were a lot of profiles of the characters who lived in this universe, with bios, stats, etc. This co-worker was eventually nailed for some serious drug possession charges, and the cops found all of the Gangsters and Alleyways notebooks in his apartment. They believed that the character profiles were about real gang members and they thought that they had hit the mother-load that would allow them to really take down all of these guys. I had to actually testify on this guy's behalf that it was all for a fake game and "Jackson Biggs, Ronin Enforcer" wasn't a real person.

- The drivers and staff would constantly take out the limos and bring prostitutes and tons of drugs back to the office. I was always opening a door and seeing some crazy shit going down. I was usually the only one working at 3 in the morning, while everyone else was off getting coked up out of their minds and hooking up with these old prostitutes.

We had this crazy driver who had been in the mafia back in Romania, and he would turn some late nights into this weird mafia fever dream. I'd walk into the back office and he'd be siting at the office owner's desk, with a huge stack of cash, cocaine, and a gun in front of him, and a couple of prostitutes on either side. Other drivers and staff would be lined up to get drugs, etc. He'd look up at me, smile, and say, "Well well, what can I do for you, my friend?" while gesturing to everything. I would just laugh, get the hell out of there, and try to make sure that I didn't put my fingerprints on anything.

Holy shit.

mike6467

Yeeeeeaaahhhh... she's not mentally well. Good thing it didn't get any worse.

Yeah, the worst of it happened over the course of almost 6 months where I was just constantly stressed out of my mind. After the worst of it stopped she was still emailing my Mom and I for holidays and stuff, which we ignored but it was still disconcerting. Fortunately she ended up getting married two or so years ago, which made me feel like if she did lose it again I was at least lower on the list of people she'd be inclined to try anything with.

I saw Jim Carrey at a grocery store in Los Angeles once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, ”Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was ”Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going ”huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like ”Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually ”to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Heh

That qualifier intrigues and disturbs me.

Top Bottom