• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most original gameplay you have played?

I'll say Flower, because it's something that seems really dumb if you just read about it or hear it from some one. Actually playing it (for me) was quite an emotional experience.

Braid was also a very smart and unique game with the way it handled it's gameplay mechanics.

I haven't played it yet, but SUPERHOT seems to be very innovative as well.

This actually might be the best answer this this entire topic.

um why? it is one reference after another. There's no point where one thinks "I never played something like this". I for sure remember it having a text adventure section among other recognizable things that the game uses to play with your expectations.

RibMan

0000007989.600x338.jpg

I remember being blown away by Audiosurf. Sound highways had been done before, but the hook (i.e. Use your own music) was executed really really well and made it feel entirely original. Fantastic game.

I'll say Flower, because it's something that seems really dumb if you just read about it or hear it from some one. Actually playing it (for me) was quite an emotional experience.

Braid was also a very smart and unique game with the way it handled it's gameplay mechanics.

I haven't played it yet, but SUPERHOT seems to be very innovative as well.

These. I like these.

At the time, Ninja Gaiden (Black) was purely original. Nothing came close to its gameplay until Demon Souls which spawned everything after it.

doop_

Banned
The Wonderful 101 is pretty damn original, it's control scheme takes time to warm up to but when you do it is ultra satisfying.

sphinx

the piano man
I remember when I got Pikmin for gamecube thinking.

"I don't think I've played any other game that plays like this,"

if I had to group games together by genre/gameplay, pikmin would be all by itself (at the time of release)

but maybe I haven't played lots of games so dunno.

Trilobit

Once I learned the controls of Ecco the Dolphin (PS2) I was amazed by the acrobatic movements in my life as a water creature. I don't know how much time I spent by just swimming around and making beautiful jumps or manouvering so that the surface world was beneath me with the sunlight sparkling. This game really nailed what it must be like to be a dolphin.

tVeEPL8.jpg

retroman

Skool Daze was very original.

500302-skool_daze_01.gif

From Wikipedia:
Skool Daze is a computer game released by Microsphere in 1984 for the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 computers. It was written by David and Helen Reidy, with graphics designed by Keith Warrington. The game was commercially and critically successful, and praised for its original concept. It has since been regarded as one of the pioneers of the sandbox game genre.

The Gameplay

The game features the player as a schoolboy named Eric, with the objective of stealing his report card out of the staff room safe by accomplishing various tasks around the school. The computer controls all the other characters in the game, including the headmaster, other teachers and other pupils.

Klass of '99 is a lovingly created remake of this game, and I highly recommend playing that if you're interested in the gameplay of Skool Daze but turned off by the monochrome graphics of the original version. Also, it's free!

Download link: http://retrospec.sgn.net/game-links.php?link=ko99

TheJoRu

WarioWare is still utterly bonkers, and there's hardly anything like it. Other examples that come to mind is Braid with its genre subverting twists, and more recently Splatoon that, while on the surface shares a lot of things with other arena shooters, plays very differently. The movement is very unique, and far and beyond the best-controlling shooter ever, period.

WarioWare is still utterly bonkers, and there's hardly anything like it. Other examples that come to mind is Braid with its genre subverting twists, and more recently Splatoon that, while on the surface shares a lot of things with other arena shooters, plays very differently. The movement is very unique, and far and beyond the best-controlling shooter ever, period.

It's incredible how Nintendo was able to come up with something original in an otherwise crowed shooter genre. Btw, the movement, wall-crawling capabilities, pace and sense of urgency in Splatoon reminds me of Shinobi for the PS2, which is another original game in its own right. I hope more games follow their lead.

Maogp

Donkey Konga with bongos
Wii Sports
Dancing Stage arcade
The Wonderful 101

ah, TW101...one of the best videogame in the last decade

SomTervo

Shadow of the Colossus.

So simple: hold button to climb tufts. Hold button to show weak points. Jump. Crouch. Stab.

That visceral feeling of being 300 feet in the air, the camera pulled back, dynamically clutching on to a giant beast moving in its own pattern - your tiny figure at the whim of this massive, dangerous creature. You climbed there. You worked your way up. Now you're clutching on for dear fucking life.

Those moments when you stand up to move JUST as the thing shakes a particular direction, and you're thrown off it, tumbling and limbs flailing out into open air - and while flying down past its waist you JUST grab on to an outcrop as you fly by

Or the couple of colossi which lift you hundreds of feet in the air...

Just classic man.

Tesser

WarioWare is still utterly bonkers, and there's hardly anything like it.

Amazed, but not at all surprised, a few others have mentioned WarioWare in this thread, and I agree. It feels like to Mario Party what Wario's own self-contained -verse is to the general Mario Universe, but takes it that one step further and is a lot more engrossing because of it. The numerous modes on the Gamecube iteration sound laughable on paper, but they fit really well in the context of the game/series.

I'll definitely add Splatoon to that list as well. A third-person 'shooter' where your main weapon is both an offensive and defensive tool works really well.

Sakujou

Banned
crush for psp.

its a 3d puzzler where the player is able to "crush" stages into 2d to get to the goal.

when i first heard that i was baffled, the game is even better with its weird visuals and story. fucking loved it to death. it's hard to get every coin/puzzle/targets and reaching the goal, but it's so rewarding.

sadly most people skipped it because its visuals werent as appealing as gta/killzone/god of war.

its available on psn.

a few games on ipad were also mindboggling:
-eliss infinity: you have to connect small bubbles together and make them fit into specific holes. sounds harder than you think and you need more than two finger to get the shit done. incredibly addicting.

-ouendan(ds): a music game with a weird story and with fresh new rythem-controls. i played it so many times and just thinking back... damn feels.

-hotline miami: seeing a 2d top-down game being so "fresh" has never happened to me in the 2000s. the visuals and the music simply are breathtaking. but only the combination made this game awesome. especially in this 8-bit-style.

-and a lot of wii games such as madworld, no more heroes or zack and wiki.

xVodevil

For me the original Commandos games are big favorites, too bad besides Desperados there aren't any more games like these.
Also the Heroes of Might & Magic series.

gerudoman

WarioWare Touched! was my first experience with the DS and touch control games and it completely floored me. Some years later I played Twisted (thanks NoE for never releasing it) and it also blew me away, even if I was already aware of what the WarioWare series were capable of. How such a simple and gimmicky concept could work so well is amazing, easily the best in an already great series.

Mathieran

Banned
I remember when I got Pikmin for gamecube thinking.

"I don't think I've played any other game that plays like this,"

if I had to group games together by genre/gameplay, pikmin would be all by itself (at the time of release)

but maybe I haven't played lots of games so dunno.

This is what I came to say, although specifically Pikmin 3 if you use wiimote+game pad. Super fun, never played anything else like it.

mr.beers

I would say FTL never played anything like it and I have an embarrassing number of hours put into it. I delete my profile just to unlock the ships again and get the achievements which I never give a shit about in any other game.

ar4757

The World Ends With You does everything right by RPG gameplay

Gameplay_screen.PNG

Figuring out the combat is so beautiful, because you can get into a rhythm that it quite addicting. It has no random encounters, and the gear/food systems complement the combat systems perfectly. It's a sublime experience, and it is totally fine with you reducing your HP to make the game harder and get better gear, or just taking it easy on you in order to pass by.

Pretty much everything TWEWY did was different and unique to it, from brands to pins to combat. Tin Pin Slammer's da bomb

Edit:

Catherine! Visual novel/horror/puzzle.

2108301-169_catherine_gameplay_x360_sheep_talking_072111.jpg

Another great answer

Bamboo

Many great one already mentioned:

Katamari
Wario Ware + Twisted
Portal
Devil Dice (only played Bombastic though)
Papers Please

also:

Starseed Pilgrim
It's more like a very clever twist on existing gameplay mechanics. A bit like Braid. I like how figuring out the rules is an integral part of the game itself.

Mario Party (esp. 3 for me)
Why was it never successfully copied?! Great combination of board and video game. The mix of action, stategy and luck goes so well together, unlike in later iterations or similar games.

Tamagochi
Seaman was mentioned. But a "game" that you cannot pause and you HAVE to carry with you all the time? It made you actually care. Amazing achievment.

Werewolf
That board/party game. Was very amazed how well the rules amplify role play, lies and treachery in a social and real life situation. I bet there are online versions of that game. But for me the true fun comes from the social interaction, the tone of the voice, body language (or pointing and screaming at each other). Don't know how old it actually is, but it's such a unique concept.

Mario Chase, Luigi's Ghost Mansion, AC: Sweet Day (Minigames from Nintendoland) and Fruit (Minigame from Game&Wario)
Asymmetric gameplay at it's best. So much fun that always takes the social situation into consideration. I love it.

Top Bottom