• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite card battle video game?

Dark_castle

I used to play the Pokemon card game on Gameboy when I was young. Probably still one of my all-time favorite card game to date.

Digimon World: Digital Card Battle on PSX is also great. I hope there's a sequel for this one.

Glass Rebel

Yeah, I have a soft spot for the Pokémon TCG as well. I thought it was pretty impressive at the time. Sadly we never got the Japan-exclusive sequel. Or a new one for that matter. The PC/iPad game is a poor substitute.

Now that I think about it, I spent a ton of time with the Yu-Gi-Oh! and Duel Masters games on GBA.

Yu-Gi-Oh: Duelists of the Roses for the PS2.

Has yet to be surpassed in my book. Part of the reason I loved it is that the game was basically cheating you at the later battles and against certain people and part of the thrill I had was overcoming those brutal odds and still winning. I DO NOT CARE YUGI DID A HEART OF THE CARDS PULL 4 TIMES IN A ROW I AM GOING TO WIN THIS MATCH!

Pok%C3%A9mon_Trading_Card_Game_Coverart.png

Still annoyed the sequel was never released outside of Japan.

Firemind

Does Baten Kaitos count?

I also really liked Mega Man Network Transmission for the GCN.

But yeah, Pokémon TCG can't be beaten.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
One of my favorites is the mini-game that was included with Xenosaga.

Not only is it one of the few RPG mini-games that doesn't suck, it was actually more fun than the main game. I played Xenosaga long enough to unlock most of the cards, and only played the card game after that.

And I loved SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters Clash for the Neo Geo Pocket.

And even some of the Yugioh games have been fun (I need to check out that new one on the 3DS).

My least favorite was probably that Phantasy Star Online card game, because unlike the games above, it was almost impossible to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

The_Poet

Banned
Hearthstone has got everything beat except car variety, which is being worked on.

It really is the best video game adaptation of a card game ever.

Sorcerer

I haven't played many but I enjoyed this one.

I was very into Phantasy Star Online, so the universe drew me in.

Phantasy_Star_Online_III_CARD_Revolution.jpg

Also the first Xenosaga, I believe, had a pretty fun card game If I remember correctly.

Petrie

Banned
Hearthstone has got everything beat except car variety, which is being worked on.

It really is the best video game adaptation of a card game ever.

No it isn't. It's accessible because of its simplicity as a game, but that definitely doesn't make it the best.

Pokémon TCG for GBC was awesome.
Had a really fun time with Hearthstone too, but it costs too much time to get all cards you need for a good competitive builds

bjork

Yugioh Worldwide Edition on GBA, followed by Cardfighters on NGPC.

I liked that specific Yugioh game because it was speedy. No animations of monsters and shit, just cards and numbers. Also no overworld to walk through, just a map with encounters to pick.

CFC was more interesting to me, but it played slightly slower. So I give the nod to that YGO.

Muku

The Pokemon TCG game all the way. Just bummed we never got the Japanese exclusive one. Having also gotten into the actual card game, playing against NPCs was fun. Sometimes the Pokemon League once a week just wasn't enough.

The PC/iPad game is a poor substitute.

Not even a substitute really. Few NPCs, and once you've cleared them there's nothing left but go online and play ranked matches. Booster packs you unlock through various methods provide 10 cards. Ones you buy with tokens only provide 5. Pretty sure it's to get you to buy the real cards. Which I would if I was in States, but I'm not. It's awful.

No it isn't. It's accessible because of its simplicity as a game, but that definitely doesn't make it the best.

Hearthstone is simple? yeah,whatever you say....

And while magic is indeed the better card game, its video game adaptations have their problems - MTGO requires you to pay for cards and tournaments with real money, and Duels of the planewalker has limited card selection and doesn't let you build your own deck.

adj_noun

I'll cheat to say I really dug the CCG in the first Xenosaga. I was a bit crushed when the sequels didn't have one.

Dr. Buni

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091024184818/yugioh/images/6/6f/TwinHeadedThunderDragon-DLG1-EN-C-UE.jpgimg][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120323093201/yugioh/images/c/ca/MeteorBDragon-PRC1-EN-SR-1E.png
Fuck, I loved this game, even though it was basically "google combos or lose" brutally hard
It was amazing. I wish they would make a new YGH game similar to Forbidden Memories and Duelist of Roses. I don't understand the rules of the new YGH games :|

Monster Monpiece

Seriously though, EXTREME RUBBING aside, it's actually pretty fun and fundamentally solid.

Runner-up: PSO Ep 3: CARD Reolution

Listonosh

Yu-Gi-Oh: Duelists of the Roses for the PS2.

Has yet to be surpassed in my book. Part of the reason I loved it is that the game was basically cheating you at the later battles and against certain people and part of the thrill I had was overcoming those brutal odds and still winning. I DO NOT CARE YUGI DID A HEART OF THE CARDS PULL 4 TIMES IN A ROW I AM GOING TO WIN THIS MATCH!

The only part I remember was playing against Exodia, and replaying that level about 50 times, FINALLY almost beating it with about one or two moves left, and the game straight up froze on me. That was the first time I realized it became self aware...

pikablu

Yugioh Dark Duel Stories for GBC takes the cake for me. I've put in so many hours into that game. I've recommended and bought it for multiple friends but no one has ever given it a serious try.

ohlawd

Pokemon Trading Card Game 2

so good and you can play as a chick

Yugioh Dark Duel Stories for GBC takes the cake for me. I've put in so many hours into that game. I've recommended and bought it for multiple friends but no one has ever given it a serious try.

where else can I summon a Blue White Ultimate Dragon with only two sacs? simple but awesome game. Can't get into future releases.

Top Bottom