• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Breath of Fire II (Wii U VC) is hard, and the translation is so bad.

I think it's perfectly doable at chapter 4 which is the earliest you can access the DLC anyway. nice and easy way to train up your bench or new characters. I think you'll see worthwhile exp gains up until you've promoted a character once (or twice, forgot). at that point it's quantity over quality hence doing Lost Bloodlines 3 or other DLC with a bunch of weak enemies.

money's used to upgrade your weapons. there's this skill called Armsthrift that makes it so weapons have a chance of not degrading based on their double their luck stat. units with this skill are the best candidates for upgraded weapons

Cool thank you for the break down. Will play a bit more then maybe grab the LB3 and Money dlc if I feel like I want to get more progress for my time.

jb1234

Finishing up Dragon Quest V (on the PS2). I've played the game before (the SNES version, I believe) but it's so much more polished on the PS2. And the music is simply lovely. The only really downside is that the random encounter rate is off the charts insane.

Yakuza 6 which is techincally a JRPG. Problem is the VA's all in Japanese and the text is all in Chinese so I don't really know the specifics of what's going on. But christ graphically it's stunning, the fighting system's been refined to be as smooth as butter and roaming about Kamurocho again is a dream. The movement animation's been improved a lot as well, feels almost like a highly polished GTA with the movement now, specially since the default movement speed is now walking, really lets you soak in the locations.

kurahador

SMT Soul Hackers -- it's...ok I guess. I don't get why SMT games always has this annoying mechanic that just there to unnecessarily increase its difficulty.
Like this game for example; the demon doesn't level up, you have fuse them to get a higher level demons.
But wait!! You can't produce demons that are higher level than you currently are.
Oh and also, fusing using your summoning device (which is basically a demon-fusion-anywhere function) will break it. Wha...?

GeekyDad

SMT Soul Hackers -- it's...ok I guess. I don't get why SMT games always has this annoying mechanic that just there to unnecessarily increase its difficulty.
Like this game for example; the demon doesn't level up, you have fuse them to get a higher level demons.
But wait!! You can't produce demons that are higher level than you currently are.
Oh and also, fusing using your summoning device (which is basically a demon-fusion-anywhere function) will break it. Wha...?

Outside of the very last stretch of the game, I really enjoyed it. It's definitely a bit antiquated compared to the newer games, but even with the things you mention, it ends up being fairly balanced, at least I thought it did. The last part, though, was a frustrating slog.

muteki

Is it the sort of game that goes back to basics in a good way, or does it separate itself from the greats it's trying to emulate?

Not really no. Had I just come off a replay of something like FF6 or CT or something, I'd probably be much more down on the game, but I haven't gone back to a game like that in years, so even Setsuna's by-the-numbers approach appeals to me after so many convoluted modern jrpgs I've played recently. It is a budget jrpg, something I wish existed more these days.

Still got quite a ways to go though, so I may get sick of it, but the big complaints about the soundtrack and setting aren't bothering me at the moment.

Yup started Fire Emblem Awakening. Restarted because I saved over not getting Thajra lol. Only took about an hour and a half to get back where I was thankfully. Though found less Master Seals on the way this time.

Really enjoying this game! I was kinda meh on it before but now a lot of it is clicking for me and I don't want to put it down. Currently on chapter 11. I enjoy the battles, the animations, characters and what not. Still some things I need to wiki but really liking this. Even more so that I got the money dlc, I can do that and buy the new items/upgrade easily. Being able to move through a RPG's story at a brisk pace is what I love most. (Also why I tend to cheat in old ones haha I just want the story not the grind!)

Really cool game that I played way more of than I thought I would since starting it back up.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
^ Yeah, Awakening is the first FE game I really got into. Being able to turn off permadeath was a big factor in my enjoyment, I'm too old and my free time is too limited to want to have to restart an hour-long battle because I get fucked over by bad luck and the enemy kills off a character with a critical. Maybe that makes me 'soft' in my old age but whatevs...

I finally finished Persona 5, the final battle was surprisingly easy compared to 3/4, it was nice that there was a convenient grinding spot right before the final encounter that I took slight advantage of. Ending was sooooo looooong,
and imo the whole scene with your character going to juvie was kind of unnecessary
, generally felt a bit saddened to leave all my 'friends' after spending 110 hours with the game.

So after finishing one long-ass RPG I started another - Trails the 3rd. I just made it to chapter 4. Game seems a bit quicker-moving than the others, since there's not too much in the way of running through towns and talking to everyone (I am the kind of person who talks to everybody in towns, and those games have it where the villagers say different things depending on where in the scenario you are). But the overall structure of the game feels like an 'omake' game, it's hard to explain. Doesn't seem to advance the core "Kiseki" story -too- much, just shows a bit of what happened to all the characters after SC.

Jennipeg

Currently playing FF7 on PS4, I am nearly ready for my date with Barrett, it had better be Barrett for the trophy. It is however getting ditched for FFXII next week.

Fou-Lu

I've decided to play Paper Mario TTYD along with Ben Moore of Easy Allies. I know I have played it before and have gotten far, but I am uncertain if I have actually beaten it so, I'll know it for sure this time!

I'm still playing the first Trails in the Sky. I started it back in 2015 0_0

I have little free time and TiTS is a long game, but I like it so much I just can't quit it. I just play it in small chunks, whenever I feel like it. I'm about to enter the final chapter, so I'll probably finish it by the end of the year.

djtiesto

I'm still playing the first Trails in the Sky. I started it back in 2015 0_0

I have little free time and TiTS is a long game, but I like it so much I just can't quit it. I just play it in small chunks, whenever I feel like it. I'm about to enter the final chapter, so I'll probably finish it by the end of the year.

The first game's only a warmup for its amazing sequel.

Jencks

Banned
I finished Chrono Cross last night and boy was it confusing. They really dump a lot of info on you in the last 5 or so hours.

MoonFrog

Bought/started Ys I in Ys I+II complete last night; in the tower.

I played a lot of JRPG coming off Persona 5, which I also played 2.5 times. I got through SMTIV and IVA, 3/4 Persona 2-2, and a good chunk of Nocturne. I've also been working on RH on/off all year (on AH Final Chapter).

I also still have a partial playthrough of FE3 I want to get back to at some point and FE5 to surmount.

But I've been a bit burnt on the genre/seeking action/text adventure since the middle of May. I think Ys might serve as a bridge back in.

leroidys

Just started Fire Emblem Echoes. Enjoying it so far after not playing more than ~5 hours into Fates from burnout. We'll see if the extra dialogue and 3D areas are enough to keep me going.

How's the story in Echoes compared to the last two?

The first game's only a warmup for its amazing sequel.

And that one's even more amazing sequel!

WRlB7Xa.png

Bought/started Ys I in Ys I+II complete last night; in the tower.

I played a lot of JRPG coming off Persona 5, which I also played 2.5 times. I got through SMTIV and IVA, 3/4 Persona 2-2, and a good chunk of Nocturne. I've also been working on RH on/off all year (on AH Final Chapter).

I also still have a partial playthrough of FE3 I want to get back to at some point and FE5 to surmount.

But I've been a bit burnt on the genre/seeking action/text adventure since the middle of May. I think Ys might serve as a bridge back in.

I bet, geeze that's a lot of RPGs.

GeekyDad

Just started Fire Emblem Echoes. Enjoying it so far after not playing more than ~5 hours into Fates from burnout. We'll see if the extra dialogue and 3D areas are enough to keep me going.

How's the story in Echoes compared to the last two?

I'm only about nine hours in myself, but the story isn't quite as bad to me so far, but it's not great. The dialogue is really bad in some places, and Alm's feelings for the Deliverance all evolve way too fast -- I mean it's kinda like that with all of the characters and situations. But that's nothing new for this series, really (or at least considering the two previous games on 3DS). And that's the main thing that makes these stories kind of meaningless to me.

If you've played the game five hours already, then you already know this. It is kinda clear from the get-go the quality of writing the game has. The big picture is still interesting, if not obvious.

yansolo

Are you having a good time? I really need to get to this one one day!

It's one of my favorite JRPGS of all time and very very underrated, great story, soundtrack, huge cast of characters, lots of little secrets etc , get onto it if you love a good jrpg

Ex-Psych

I am Setsuna on the Switch.

Man this game is not fun. It's trying to do Chrono Trigger but I'm just not feeling it. Doesn't help that the environment is all bland white snow. Will most likely drop it.

piggychan

Just received Falcom Classics 1 for the Sega Saturn and starting a play through on Ys Book 1. The turbografx CD was the first time I experienced Ys and the feels are coming back...

wtd2009

Just finished grandia 3. enjoyed the battle system very much... Had no clue what was going on in the story and there was zero character development. also, very few side quests and having no optional dungeons or areas was kind of a bummer (kind of made the while flying around the world map pointless, which was a real missed opportunity). I'd only recommend it if you need a fix.

Probably going to take a breather, but trying to decide where to go next among the games I have left to play in my back log,which includes breath of fire 4, lightning returns, tales of zestiria, resonance of fate, trails of cold steel 1/2, and suikoden 3.

Fou-Lu

Just beat the Thousand-Year Door (incredible game) and trying to decide what to play next. I left both BoFII Retranslation and Wild ARMs hanging so maybe one of those, but also considering Cosmic Star Heroine, Xanadu Next, Lightning Returns, Xenosaga Episode I, Dark Cloud 2, Baten Kaitos Origins, Legend of Legaia, Vagrant Story or Shining Force III.

Opa-Pa

Just got to the 2nd chapter of Final Fantasy Tactics.

I have a long story of starting this game countless times but I never made it more than a couple of fights in before I abandoned it, but now thanks to some advice from GAF it finally clicked fot me and I'm having a blast.

Just beat the Thousand-Year Door (incredible game) and trying to decide what to play next. I left both BoFII Retranslation and Wild ARMs hanging so maybe one of those, but also considering Cosmic Star Heroine, Xanadu Next, Lightning Returns, Xenosaga Episode I, Dark Cloud 2, Baten Kaitos Origins, Legend of Legaia, Vagrant Story or Shining Force III.

You're definitely spoiled for choice. But I have to recommend Baten Kaitos Origins above all since you've gone through the first game and holy hell you definitely ought to experience this story. Vagrant Story is probably the equal of that game and Shining Force 3 with all of its scenarios is a great great game. But if it's just scenario 1 of SF3, then I suggest Cosmic Star Heroine instead.

Xenosaga is a very very slow burn.

Pepboy

I have a long story of starting this game countless times but I never made it more than a couple of fights in before I abandoned it, but now thanks to some advice from GAF it finally clicked fot me and I'm having a blast.

Me too... Still on the list to go back to.

For now, playing Dragon Quest 3. 7 on 3ds got me in the mood so I finished 1 and 2 on phone.

Finished my first Atelier game last week, Rorona. Playing God Wars:Future Past right now.

Game is decent so far, finally picked up pace at chapter 2.

redfox088

Banned
Playing through zodiac age...man the opening really sucks but once it opens up it's all magic after that. I forgot how Grindy it can be though as far as spells and equipment goes in the beginning. This game makes me want to give tactics another go...really need to finish persona though.

GeekyDad

You're playing the original PS1 version or the remastered version? Hopefully, the remastered version. If so, stick with it. Like Tactics Ogre, it's an oddball game in that the early parts of the game are the most difficult. It becomes broken (in the most enjoyable way) later on, and the story is excellent.

Opa-Pa

You're playing the original PS1 version or the remastered version? Hopefully, the remastered version. If so, stick with it. Like Tactics Ogre, it's an oddball game in that the early parts of the game are the most difficult. It becomes broken (in the most enjoyable way) later on, and the story is excellent.

This is gonna sound weird, but even though I own both versions, I'm playing the original... I'm playing on Vita and wanted to play without the slowdowns and to experience the original translation first if that makes any sense.

I'm enjoying it a lot, the story is intriguing and has a cool tone, and gameplay is ace, so I can easily see myself replaying this in the near future in its WoTL form.

Also yeah, I noticed it can be a bit tough at first, but I've managed to make some good progress without losing any fights, and figuring out how jobs and stats work in hilarious ways... Such as finding out there's a random number involving in Repeating Fist when I accidentally killed Wiegraf as Ramza at the start of a fight by dealing 120 damage (the highest I did normally was 60) haha, I love this game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wild ARMs is really good, better than I remember it being

Szadek

Finished Bravely Second.
It's really good. I'm surprised that not more people are talking about it.

The combat and job system are even better than before ,thanks to the new classes and rebalances for the older onces.
Spellcraft alone gives your spellcaster way more options in combat.
Certian jobs are hard to use, but are extremely powerful if you know what you are doing.
Being creative can be quite rewarding, like the one time I defeate a boss , I was stuck at, with a party of 4 tanks.
I recommend playing on hard mode, because that's where the game really test you tactical skills.

Story and character are also an improvement over the first game as well (and this game never does anything as frursating as chapter 5-8 from BD).
One of the character is quite lacking in terms of development, but everyone else is pretty good in that department.
Although, one character's development happens almost exclusively in side quests.
The plot takes some interesting turns in the later chapters, but I don't want to spoil them.

The epilog teases a sequel based one an unresloved, minor plot point, but it looks like it mostly foucus on a new party
except for Ringable and possibly Edea

Not sure which JRPG to play next, my options right now are:
Dark Cloud
FFV
(FF12 ZA, will probably buy it soon)
SMT Nocturne/Lucifer's Call
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Berseria
Tales of Symphonia
Trails in the Sky

Thud

Playing Trails of Cold Steel II on PS3, it was cheap af.

I'm in the last segment of Act 2 Part 3 where
Celdic gets razed
. That moment made me cry and it still does thinking about it.

Had to play through and get even.

djtiesto

Hmm, I haven't played BOF2 or Legend of Legaia yet but:

Wild Arms is a classic with a great soundtrack and cool puzzles. Don't bother with Alter Code F (the remake), it loses the charm of the original.

I watched my friend play some Cosmic Star Heroine last night (holding out for a physical release) and it looked great and so far ahead of Zeboyd's other games in terms of production value.

Xanadu Next is an underrated dungeon crawler with some incredible level design. It's also probably the shortest game on the list. I'd say if you want to knock a game out fairly quickly, this is the one.

Dark Cloud 2 has a lot of fun stuff (town building, the weird golf minigame, an item creation system where you take pictures of objects to come up with recipes), but the actual dungeon crawling can become repetitive quickly, and the dungeons tend to draaaaaaaag. Dumb story.

Baten Kaitos: Origins is leagues above its sequel and IMO the first truly classic game Monolith made. Did you play the first one? Because there are a lot of references to the original, and a lot of the plot twists wouldn't have the same impact without your knowledge of the first game. While the first game was a slow paced slog, with some questionable design decisions and shitty voice acting, Origins steps the game up tremendously. The combat is fast and tactical, the voice acting is pretty good, and the storytelling is much better.

Vagrant Story is another hardcore dungeon crawler, with an obtuse weapon system that I'm sure you've no doubt heard about by now. I liked the game but couldn't get into the story too much (Matsuno plots just don't do it for me... sorry everyone!). Game really needs a remake.

Shining Force 3 is excellent, but ends on a big cliffhanger, unless you're willing to import and play through its additional scenarios.

Avoid Lightning Returns and Xenosaga 1 like the plague, both games are absolute struggles to get through.

djtiesto

I've been playing Trails: The 3rd. Coming up to the end of the 6th chapter. I like it but it doesn't really feel as 'essential' to the overall Kiseki storyline, more like one of those omake disks some RPGs got where you got to see a lot of little scenes giving more backstory to the characters, and a ton of asset reuse.

Still enjoy it because I love the series, but it's only gonna make me more depressed we don't have the Crossbell games or Nayuta in English yet.

Top Bottom