• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

piggychan

Going through Lunar Silver Star Story Complete.

Strange the first time round I didn't really rate the music but now it's growing on me. sound FX's are horrible though especially when enemies get defeated and are way too loud. Saturn version.

AnvLK1.gif

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Been putting a ton of time into Atelier Sophie lately! No clue how far in I am but I do know that after the slow start this is prolly the most relaxed Atelier I've played yet. No hard time limit on story stuff means I can just do whatevs. Sure wish good material gathering was simpler. Lotsa old adventurer equipment I'd love to upgrade for better benefits but even my latest & greatest ingredients aren't giving the boosts I need. Found a nice way ta grind money so I'm no longer struggling in that respect!

redfox088

Banned
Finished Bravely Second.
It's really good. I'm surprised that not more people are talking about it.

The combat and job system are even better than before ,thanks to the new classes and rebalances for the older onces.
Spellcraft alone gives your spellcaster way more options in combat.
Certian jobs are hard to use, but are extremely powerful if you know what you are doing.
Being creative can be quite rewarding, like the one time I defeate a boss , I was stuck at, with a party of 4 tanks.
I recommend playing on hard mode, because that's where the game really test you tactical skills.

Story and character are also an improvement over the first game as well (and this game never does anything as frursating as chapter 5-8 from BD).
One of the character is quite lacking in terms of development, but everyone else is pretty good in that department.
Although, one character's development happens almost exclusively in side quests.
The plot takes some interesting turns in the later chapters, but I don't want to spoil them.

The epilog teases a sequel based one an unresloved, minor plot point, but it looks like it mostly foucus on a new party
except for Ringable and possibly Edea

Not sure which JRPG to play next, my options right now are:
Dark Cloud
FFV
(FF12 ZA, will probably buy it soon)
SMT Nocturne/Lucifer's Call
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Berseria
Tales of Symphonia
Trails in the Sky
Abyss gets my vote I want to go back so bad....

Jisgsaw

Not sure which JRPG to play next, my options right now are:
Dark Cloud
FFV
(FF12 ZA, will probably buy it soon)
SMT Nocturne/Lucifer's Call
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Berseria
Tales of Symphonia
Trails in the Sky

The answer is obvious.
Note: I may be biased.

Daouzin

Playing through Star Ocean V right now. Definitely understand some of the hate, but don't think it's as bad as every claims. It's alright.

I really want to finish Tales of Vesparia, it's the last game I need to complete on my 360 before I can chuck the console. And tbh I am really enjoying the game and the characters.

But man, as soon as I entered that Desert Area (sands of something) I lost all steam for some reason, it's been a month and I still haven't picked up the motivation to return.

I really want to finish Tales of Vesparia, it's the last game I need to complete on my 360 before I can chuck the console. And tbh I am really enjoying the game and the characters.

But man, as soon as I entered that Desert Area (sands of something) I lost all steam for some reason, it's been a month and I still haven't picked up the motivation to return.
That's around the same place I stopped in the PS3 version.

The entire Monado move-sets are layers of restrictions of how you can hit, stagger, or critic Mechons later on in the game.

Hehe what does this mean? I have no idea. The Monado skills are all about managing visions (or just breaking the game like one particular skill). Shulk's non-Monado skills are all about positioning, is that what you mean?

Just finishing Xenoblade Chronicles btw and while I had the exact same impression about the combat being a mess the first time I played it, I really like it now. I was as wrong about it as possible. The "trick" to enjoyment is to play with all characters, not just Shulk. The combat is excellent if you do that. It does feel like a mess if you only ever play with Shulk, no doubt about that, but everyone is really enjoyable to play, including the tanks and the healer. I have to say it's probably my favourite rpg now. I'm committing the same error I always do with rpgs whose combat I really like, meaning levelling up everyone and getting the best gear as early as I can, which means I get burned our right before the final stretch...but not this time, this game is just too awesome. Also looks awesome and has great music. Playing on Wii U. The SD graphics were noticeable for the first few hours but the game becomes super nice as soon as you get used to it.
I'm just starting Agniratha, with everyone at level 95, Shulk at max affinity with everyone, all areas at 4 or 5 stars, all the charactets having level 6 gems (well, what's technically attainable at this point), and even Glory Gauntlets for everyone who needs them. Final Marcus is done too. The best part of the game is finished for me, only story/final side quests and superbosses left.

Also, I'm not going to read back through my posts, but iirc I was in an argument about XBC combat with someone here on GAF and yeah, whoever it was, they were right and I was wrong :)

All in all, awesome game. Ff12 ps4 next.

LordKano

Slowly going through Disgaea 5. Feeling a mixture of excitement and disappointment. Everything related to gameplay mechanics is perfectly aced and it's never frustrating or tiring to grind your characters, but oh boy do the character all sucks in this game.

I started a lot but I am concentrating on a few for now:

1. Final Fantasy 12 HD: I love every second of it. My #1 played game at the moment.

2. Dragon Quest VII Remake: I love the franchise, the humor, the atmosphere and gameplay. And all of that is intact in this game. But it is the worst of the ones I played (5,6,8,9). This game seems to never end. I am already 75 hours in and still in Chapter 2. Despite some new features that make navigation easier it's still very unclear where to go next in some cases. Collecting those stupid ass fragments was a terrible idea. And the backtracking is atrocious. Almost every scenario makes you visit the same towns and dungeons multiple times. Sometimes even again in the present. It sucks. I still like the game, but it's nowhere near as good as 8 or 5 and I even liked the often hated 9 a lot more than this one. Never finished 6.

3. The Legend of Heroes: Trials in the Sky: Played until Chapter 3, but I am thinking about canceling the game. On the one hand it has a lot of charme, nice characters and a solid fighting system but on the other hand it is very boring, the battles are slooooow and there is so much talk about uninteressting stuff. I actually got very angry while preparing the school festival towards the end of chapter 2. It was a chore. Maybe most Falcom games just aren't for me. I tried the older Legend of Heroes games on PSP and stopped playing them after ~10 hours because I got seriously bored. I didn't like all Y's games except the one on Vita. I still have to try the newest Legend of Heroes Trilogy on Vita/PS3 and the Xanadu games though.

kromeo

Vesperia is probably a good 20 hours too long, the last third of the game feels really drawn out. Abyss has the same problem as well but the story was a bit more interesting at least

redlemon

3. The Legend of Heroes: Trials in the Sky: Played until Chapter 3, but I am thinking about canceling the game. On the one hand it has a lot of charme, nice characters and a solid fighting system but on the other hand it is very boring, the battles are slooooow and there is so much talk about uninteressting stuff.

The one thing about trails in the sky is that you don't have to actually battle that much because of the level scaling. I'm probably about 50 hours into trails SC and I pretty much just do the hunts and batlle that I fail to dodge on the map.

Vesperia is probably a good 20 hours too long, the last third of the game feels really drawn out. Abyss has the same problem as well but the story was a bit more interesting at least

Is there any trails games that doesn't have a completely necessary third act? I wouldn't mind playing another one if it didn't have that flaw.

The one thing about trails in the sky is that you don't have to actually battle that much because of the level scaling. I'm probably about 50 hours into trails SC and I pretty much just do the hunts and batlle that I fail to dodge on the map.

Is there any trails games that doesn't have a completely necessary third act? I wouldn't mind playing another one if it didn't have that flaw.

I remember Destiny, Innocence, and Hearts not overstaying their welcome.

pbayne

Finished Ys Origin. Good but Ys games shouldn't bother having plots imo.

About 30 hours into Dragon Quest 7. First dq game and it took a lot of time to get going but im really into now.

Kytes

Neo Member
About 30 hours into Dragon Quest 7. First dq game and it took a lot of time to get going but im really into now.

DQVII isn't the best entrypoint in the series, but i'm glad you're enjoying it. It's a really "love it or hate it" game. Try checking out IV, V and VIII (and, if you like class systems, III and VI) if you like VII.

I'm playing FFVIII for the first time. I'm currently at the start of Disc 3 and i don't get the hate this game gets. I think it's pretty good (at least up until now).

Deja

Currently making my way through Dragon Quest 4 for Nintendo DS.

I recently finished 7 which I enjoyed a lot (and was my first DQ), and quickly smashed through DQ1 on iOS, which was good, given the context of when it was released.

Didn't really know what to expect from this, other than it would be a bit more primitive than 7. I would definitely say it's a lot more like DQ1 in terms of scope, and deffo feels a bit small in places, but wow, the different chapters so far have been great. I've just finished the chapter of a particular Arms Dealer and honestly, one of my favourite experiences in a JRPG so far, as it's just different. A bit grindy, but still fun.

Gutted I did not get to spend much time with Ragnar though, he was awesome!

Just started Chapter 4 this morning, but it's on hold until I'm finished at work for the day.

Currently making my way through Dragon Quest 4 for Nintendo DS.

I recently finished 7 which I enjoyed a lot (and was my first DQ), and quickly smashed through DQ1 on iOS, which was good, given the context of when it was released.

Didn't really know what to expect from this, other than it would be a bit more primitive than 7. I would definitely say it's a lot more like DQ1 in terms of scope, and deffo feels a bit small in places, but wow, the different chapters so far have been great. I've just finished the chapter of a particular Arms Dealer and honestly, one of my favourite experiences in a JRPG so far, as it's just different. A bit grindy, but still fun.

Gutted I did not get to spend much time with Ragnar though, he was awesome!

Just started Chapter 4 this morning, but it's on hold until I'm finished at work for the day.

This game blew my mind as a kid, and remained a favorite. I struggle to think, even now, of other games that have gone this route.

I suppose Suikoden 3 did a similar thing (and was similarly awesome for it).

riverfr0zen

Neo Member
I already had 2-3 other games going (Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Breath of the Wild) but got to a point where I just wanted something new. So I threw on Trails of Cold Steel on PS Now, and now I can't stop. Other games on permanent hold. Didn't expect this, despite hearing it's a good game.

Deja

This game blew my mind as a kid, and remained a favorite. I struggle to think, even now, of other games that have gone this route.

I suppose Suikoden 3 did a similar thing (and was similarly awesome for it).

I've never played Suikoden....

I've never really been a fan of tactical RPG games, but I recently bought Disgaea 5 for Switch. I'm thinking I will play Rabbids first though, to ease me into the genre.

I've missed Suikoden, FF Factics and Fire Emblem to name a few.

Slowly going through Disgaea 5. Feeling a mixture of excitement and disappointment. Everything related to gameplay mechanics is perfectly aced and it's never frustrating or tiring to grind your characters, but oh boy do the character all sucks in this game.
Pretty much this. The writing is soooooooo bad I just don't even care about what the characters have to say at this point. I think I'm just going to dive into something classic like Breath of Fire 3 or 4, or maybe some Super Mario RPG.

RRockman

Banned
I'm on a rpg binge right now

Working through

Star Ocean: till the end of time

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Final Fantasy XV

Kingdom Hearts 2.8

It's a lot of fun getting stuck in one and then cycling to another one over and over. I also didn't expect to enjoy star ocean's battle system as much as I did. A fusion of it and FF XII's gambits would be the greatest ARPG gameplay wise.

R.I.P. Tri-ace, I'll miss you.

Jazzem

Final Fantasy VI on BSNES w/a CRT filter and this patch applied!

This game has without question been on my to-do list longer than any other, and a big part of that was me being unsure which version to play. Decided that I'd be likely to replay the game down the line, so I went original for now and will likely go GBA or Steam in future. Funny how no matter which iteration you go for, you'll want to patch it to fix things heh.

Regardless, I'm having so much fun with it :D The script is pretty simplistic and clearly held back by the limitations of small storage space, but it still gets by with bags of charm and immensely creative scenarios. Was actually surprised to see how goofy it is too! I'm only a third in so I'm sure the tone will go south in time, but so far it's made me laugh multiple times. I also love the variety in characters, provides some really fun abilities to play around with.

Out of the FFs I've finished (1/3/4/5/7/9), this is easily ranking as one of the best so far. So glad to finally be playing it!

Fou-Lu

I've been juggling back and forth between multiple games (Breath of Fire II Retranslation, Legend of Legaia, Wild ARMS, Dark Cloud 2), but haven't settled on one for the long haul yet.

Ooccoo

FFXII IZJS is consuming me

Pretty sure I'll log 100+ hours into this beast just like I did on PS2

This time I want to kill
Yiazmat

Star Ocean 5 is by far the better and more interesting game. But GAF hates it.
Lol, no way, not even close. I Am Setsuna is a neat little throwback RPG with a beautiful soundtrack and very cohesive theme (writing isn't great). Star Ocean 5 is a budget-constrained mess with tons of poor design, laughable presentation, and a ton of pointless padding. I wouldn't recommend that game to anyone.

Slowly making my way through Final Fantasy IX. I played it but didn't finish when it first came out from a combination of getting burned out on Square RPGs and the start of the third disc being so slow that I just lost momentum. I also fucked up my party's ability growth the first time around by switching to new equipment when it became available in most instances. I'm enjoying it this time around, but still find the early part of Disc 3 to be a real drag.

Wow Fire Emblem Awakening suddenly got difficult/needing to pay more attention. Interesting story so far but I hope there is a big enough twist/interesting moment. Right now I am a few missions past crossing the sea.

leroidys

Wow Fire Emblem Awakening suddenly got difficult/needing to pay more attention. Interesting story so far but I hope there is a big enough twist/interesting moment. Right now I am a few missions past crossing the sea.

It's nice to want things.
Don't get your hopes up about Awakening's plot.

I've never played Suikoden....

I've never really been a fan of tactical RPG games, but I recently bought Disgaea 5 for Switch. I'm thinking I will play Rabbids first though, to ease me into the genre.

I've missed Suikoden, FF Factics and Fire Emblem to name a few.

Suikoden isn't a tactical rpg, it's a standard turn-based rpg with a few 'tactical' fights here and there.

Deja

You've just taught me something I didn't know, thanks. The cost of these games means I'll probably never get to play them though!

Still enjoying DQ4, completed Chapter 4 last night. I find the different regional accents charming in Dragon Quest most of the time, but damn, sometimes they're hard to understand and I have to read the text a few times before I get exactly what's going on.

GeekyDad

It's nice to want things.
Don't get your hopes up about Awakening's plot.

Nah, it's got a really good twist, actually, one of the best in the series.

But he is right, don't get your hopes up. It's still not written all that well. The series really is coming into its own, though, here in the west. If only they could get some of the writers/translators from FFT and Tactics Ogre to pen these games.

Opa-Pa

Still hooked to FF Tactics. Recently made it to chapter 4 and I'm constantly surprised by how great this game is... I'm glad I'm playing it as an adult too because a lot of it wouldn't have clicked with me had I played this as a kid.

Pretty much this. The writing is soooooooo bad I just don't even care about what the characters have to say at this point. I think I'm just going to dive into something classic like Breath of Fire 3 or 4, or maybe some Super Mario RPG.

I'm curious, have you guys played other Disgaea games before? Not that I think you're wrong, but I'm a fan of the series and have yet to try 5,so I'd like to know if it's truly bad in the writing department or just business as usual haha.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Torn between starting SO5 or I Am Setsuna. Any advice on which to start?

Having played both and platinuming IAS. SO5 is actually fun despite being short. IAS' environments are a droll.

Thud

Finished Cold Steel II yesterday. There's a lot of mixed feelings her. Enough things to love like the again stellar soundtrack or the crazy escapades of certain NPC's. Stuff going on the background and some good story events. Class VII dialogue is still on the awkward side. Being able to fast travel between locations is very good. With lots of old locations and a few new ones. New bad guys to take note of and lots of playable characters.

There's also a mixture of disappointment and hope due to holes left intentionally in the story. As well as leaving out
western erebonia
in the game. The last trial felt really hollow, luckily Falcom knew.

Eventhough I missed a few AP in the beginning, still got enough for the A0 rank hah. One thing the games does a fine job in is making me look forward to more Crossbell and Calvard.

Lets hope the time between the games made the characters a lot more mature and hope it shows in its writing.

Now to figure out what to play next...

suberzat

I've been thinking since yesterday what game should I play next after beating FC4. But after visiting this thread and reading some of newer post I will start Wild Arms 3 again. I stopped playing in the beginning because of the outdated camera rotation.

This seem like a good time to hop back in. Hopefully it's not too long of a game.

Torn between starting SO5 or I Am Setsuna. Any advice on which to start?

I played most of SO5 and enjoyed it for what was there. Sure, I wish it was a bigger budget game, longer, etc, but it was fun and now makes me that much more annoyed when JRPGs don't let me use the whole party in battle at once.

Setsuna was just aggressively mediocre without anything of note to pull me in (SO5 at least had combat and I liked their dialogue mostly happening during player control, and of course SO is a franchise I already have affection for).

Top Bottom