• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

Banned
I thought it was the most challenging FF since 4 personally.

It was a balanced difficulty for me. I enjoyed the paradigms, that's where the real challenge lied. But most of the game was just using one or two paradigms and mashing X for auto-battle.

isual

I'm playing front mission 5. It's a sprg but since people listed fire emblem I figure it's fair game. After that, maybe a psp game.

Maybe I'll get back to "Song of the Ocean" in the eiyuu densetsu series. The first 2 in the gagharv trilogy are kinda like lunar but I find it very hard to stay engaged with the games. Luckily they are short. I'm playing them in Japanese so I don't have to deal with the changes made the to NA version. Kinda went on a buying spree before leaving Japan and got the 6 that were out at the time (gagvarv trilogy and trails in the skies trilogy) So far it's been painful to get to the supposedly good trails in the skies ones. If they are not remarkably better, I am dropping the series. Curse you Aeana for making think they were good.

dayum son. I have FM5 JP version original cd.

256px-Front_Mission_5.jpg

how the heck are you playing this awesome game series? Shietttt

mfw I can't play this on a NA ps2

StuBurns

Banned
It was a balanced difficulty for me. I enjoyed the paradigms, that's where the real challenge lied. But most of the game was just using one or two paradigms and mashing X for auto-battle.
I think it was balanced too, most the FFs are really soft difficulty-wise. And while what you said is true, that's also basically true of all the other FFs as well. Outside of bosses, they've never been in any sense demanding, and certainly not strategic.

I don't think it's a big deal or anything, I just see the 'Hit X for fifty hours' complaint often, and it always surprises me.

In order of most to least played.

Dungeon Travelers 2: Ouritsu Toshokan to Mamono no Fuuin (PSP)
7th Dragon 2020-II (PSP)
Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment (PSP)
Summon Knight 4 (PSP)
Summon Knight 5 (PSP)
Tales of Graces F (PS3)
Disgaea D2 (PS3)

Fuck the reviews, if you are enjoying the game thats all that should matter as a gamer.

How is Disgaea D2? I loved the original.

Yuterald

998014_233527_thumb.jpg

Ni-no-kuni: 38 hours in and I continue to find myself having difficulty sticking to this game. I've been chewing off bits & pieces here and there since launch, but I cannot fully invest myself into this world. I don't know what it is, but I find the game incredibly dull. The visuals and my OCD-like nature to complete/fill in fractions/percentages has kept me going, but because I've been inconsistently playing this game I almost forgot what exactly was happening. I am NOT starting over either because this will totally be a one-and-done for me. I could never see myself replaying this game, ever. It's so ridiculously uneventful and boring. I felt like the game started out strong, especially with those touching introduction scenes with your mother, but since then I felt like I've been in the middle of one of those never ending boring sections you don't want to remember from some Tales of game. Right now, they have me looking for three stones to break some barrier. Ugh. Sure, it's old school, but I feel like it's almost forced, in a bad way.

The battle system, as much as I don't care for it, feels pretty balanced the more I play. The game's no push over, that's for sure. I feel like every boss encounter or new area I go to has fairly formidable foes. I don't ever feel like I'm overpowered even though I feel like I've grinded a lot due to some Errands. With that said, I still think the AI is garbage and the monster breeding aspect is boring and not fully developed. I still think it's insane that acquiring new familiars is essentially no different than waiting for a monster to drop their rare item. Horrible.

As much as I love old school RPGs, I think I've grown apart from these "classic" adventurer/save the world games. All the hype this game received, being some sort of "return to form" or "SNES-era RPG in the best way possible" made me realize that this type of RPG really isn't for me anymore. I guess my tastes have changed, I don't know. I really want to finish this game just to get it off my chest/plate, but it's definitely a struggle!

I just wish something cool or interesting would happen. The evil council and space cape Ghadius rip off queen haven't done shit yet and Shadar keeps messing up and getting foiled by the boy. I was told by some acquaintances that all this cool shit goes down regarding that council, but I'm 38 hours in and haven't seen balls yet. You know, in Wild ARMs, the Quarter Knights destroy a town and murder innocent civilians within the first 2-5 hours of the game. Modern day RPG bad dudes are so boring nowadays. Just sayin'.

SMT: Nocturne. Because I am a masochist/idiot I decided to do my first playthrough on Hard. It's almost literally an RPG version of hell on Earth, I'm liking it.

jschreier

A few more hours into Star Ocean: The Last Hope, it occurs to me that almost every current-gen Square RPG has a child party member who ruins everything. But I am enjoying the game nonetheless.

Daigr

Ni no kuni until my ps3 got the YLOD.
Was loving it.

Anyone that is on the verge of putting it down at least do yourself a favour and get to
Teeheeti. Hilarious place.

isual

998014_233527_thumb.jpg

Ni-no-kuni: 38 hours in and I continue to find myself having difficulty sticking to this game. I've been chewing off bits & pieces here and there since launch, but I cannot fully invest myself into this world. I don't know what it is, but I find the game incredibly dull. The visuals and my OCD-like nature to complete/fill in fractions/percentages has kept me going, but because I've been inconsistently playing this game I almost forgot what exactly was happening. I am NOT starting over either because this will totally be a one-and-done for me. I could never see myself replaying this game, ever. It's so ridiculously uneventful and boring. I felt like the game started out strong, especially with those touching introduction scenes with your mother, but since then I felt like I've been in the middle of one of those never ending boring sections you don't want to remember from some Tales of game. Right now, they have me looking for three stones to break some barrier. Ugh. Sure, it's old school, but I feel like it's almost forced, in a bad way.

The battle system, as much as I don't care for it, feels pretty balanced the more I play. The game's no push over, that's for sure. I feel like every boss encounter or new area I go to has fairly formidable foes. I don't ever feel like I'm overpowered even though I feel like I've grinded a lot due to some Errands. With that said, I still think the AI is garbage and the monster breeding aspect is boring and not fully developed. I still think it's insane that acquiring new familiars is essentially no different than waiting for a monster to drop their rare item. Horrible.

As much as I love old school RPGs, I think I've grown apart from these "classic" adventurer/save the world games. All the hype this game received, being some sort of "return to form" or "SNES-era RPG in the best way possible" made me realize that this type of RPG really isn't for me anymore. I guess my tastes have changed, I don't know. I really want to finish this game just to get it off my chest/plate, but it's definitely a struggle!

I just wish something cool or interesting would happen. The evil council and space cape Ghadius rip off queen haven't done shit yet and Shadar keeps messing up and getting foiled by the boy. I was told by some acquaintances that all this cool shit goes down regarding that council, but I'm 38 hours in and haven't seen balls yet. You know, in Wild ARMs, the Quarter Knights destroy a town and murder innocent civilians within the first 2-5 hours of the game. Modern day RPG bad dudes are so boring nowadays. Just sayin'.

I have the same sentiments as you regarding jrpgs. I want something different now. Preferable you play as the bad guy and destroy the world instead of the cliche'd young teen and goes to save the world story

Persona86

Banned
I have the same sentiments as you regarding jrpgs. I want something different now. Preferable you play as the bad guy and destroy the world instead of the cliche'd young teen and goes to save the world story

I got a feeling Versus will be different in this sense.

AJTsuki

Neo Member
Dawns on me that I'm neck deep in JRPGs right now...

Fire_Emblem_Awakening_box_art.png

I'm closing in on the end of Fire Emblem: Awakening. I feel I can already name this my game of the year... there's just nothing on the horizon that can beat this amazing game. And if there is, I can't wait to play it.

Ttydbox.jpg

Cleaned up an old Gamecube this past week and popped in Paper Mario. Pure Mario RPG, colorful, cute and fun. Didn't take me long to get near the halway point. Just needs more Luigi!

RivieraBox.jpg

Which led me to dig around in Jeremy Parish's GameSpite Quarterly Issue 6 looking for underappreciated Gamecube games (are there any?) and re-read Philip Armstrong's wonderful take on Riviera: The Promise Land... which led me to finally play the game last evening... through to Chapter 3. JRPG fans should not miss this interesting game.

I just beat Saga Frontier 2 about a week ago. My PSP broke so no more Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre & Phantasy Star Portable 2 so instead now I'm" re-finishing up Ys Origin on my old laptop, starting a new character in PSO and replaying Secret of Evermore.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Baten Kaitos Origins.

I REALLY wanted to like this game. But goddamn does it get tedious sometimes.

EDIT: Oh and I'm also playing DQ5 on my DS. It's pretty much the first DQ I intend to complete (I played DQ8 a little in the past but not that much).

Jay Sosa

First of thanks for reminding me of Nomad Soul (I know, different game) and second..I'm currently playing Mana Khemia 1 and having a blast, love all that alchemy stuff. Story is quasi nonexistent so far but the characters and the gameplay is good enough to keep me entertained.

Next up will be Suikoden 5 I think.

The kalpa's are fun. Getting that (had to search again) gaea rage is op !

They sure are but it's a pretty horrible design decision that you have to complete them before a certain point in the story.

polg

I've just finished Ni No Kuni and really enjoyed it.

Cleansing my palate with some Bioshock Infinite before I jump on to another. I probably should dig deep int Fire Emblem, I've just fiddled around with it for a couple of hours.

Soriku

Baten Kaitos Origins.

I REALLY wanted to like this game. But goddamn does it get tedious sometimes.

Which part are you at?

They sure are but it's a pretty horrible design decision that you have to complete them before a certain point in the story.

You have to complete the Kalpas before entering the final dungeon if you want the True Demon Ending. Not sure how that's horrible...unless you didn't know I guess.

Persona86

Banned
6MRpJz9.jpg

91910-204118-personadeathjpg-620x.jpg

I've been playing SMT: Nocturne, Persona 3 and Persona 4 for years now, I still haven't finished any of them because they are long games and I often take loooooong breaks before getting back to them haha.

Jay Sosa

You have to complete the Kalpas before entering the final dungeon if you want the True Demon Ending. Not sure how that's horrible...unless you didn't know I guess.

How should I know that when playing it the first time?

I hate stuff like that that isn't self explanatory on your first playthrough/without a guide. Are they expecting me to put another 60 hours in the game?

Brokun

Tales of Vesperia, although I keep taking detours to play other games, like Witcher 2, Neverwinter, and Saints Row 3. I need to focus here! I don't want to end up like last time, loading up a 38 hour save wondering what I was doing next. Welp, time to start from level 1!

Persona86

Banned

I hate stuff like that that isn't self explanatory on your first playthrough/without a guide. Are they expecting me to put another 60 hours in the game?

IMO, it's supposed to be optional, either it happens or not situation. Up to fate or whatever. But I haven't finished the game yet, not sure if I will complete this part or not.

Jay Sosa

It's supposed to be optional, either it happens or not situation. Up to fate or whatever.

I was just mad cause I spend hours upon hours in there (and some of them are infuriating, especially the labyrinths) basically for nothing cause the game didn't make it very clear that I have to finish them before entering a certain area. Most JRPGs have some NPC tell you that...

But hey, if the JRPG drought continues I at least have a good reason to play it again. Though I'm not sure if I really want to revisit some of the Kalpas one more time.

Aeana

The TDE and the Amala Labyrinth were added in the Maniax version of the game, so it's essentially bolted on (but done in a very nice way, in my opinion). If you don't go for it, then you're just left with the original ending choices. It's not that big of a deal.

Soriku

Meh...you could easily look up when you had to complete it by with a quick search. Yeah you need a guide or something but it'll take you two minutes of your time to look it up, and it's just one thing.

The only thing I'd defend you on is if you complained about the fact that if you didn't keep your Pixie that you get at the very beginning (or its evolved form, or whatever you fused it into), you couldn't enter one of the doors in the 5th Kalpa. I knew about it but that's definitely bullshit because why would you keep a crappy demon when you can get rid of it and open up space for another demon in your queue. The Kalpa completion deadline, not so much.

Though lots of other JRPGs have a ton of missables without you knowing. I think Nocturne is good with this for the most part. Remember it's a 2003 game though.

IMO, it's supposed to be optional, either it happens or not situation. Up to fate or whatever. But I haven't finished the game yet, not sure if I will complete this part or not.

It's worth completing it. The only drawback is that you need to spend time getting high-end demons with good skills for the ultimate final boss if you complete the Kalpas though.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Which part are you at?

Second time visiting the Zaurak Keep (right after the Celestial Veinroots, where you have to collect five damn types of roots so that girl can build you a chairlift). I don't know how far I am in the game, but I hope I don't have 30 hours of gameplay left, otherwise i'll just give up. I feel like it's just one fetch quest after the other. HEY BRING ME FIVE TYPES OF ROOTS! HEY BRING ME 10 ELECTION COOKIES OR WHATEVER, OH BUT YOU CAN'T PASS HERE IF YOU HAVE TOO MANY RED COOKIES! HEY BRING ME THREE FUN TIMES MAGNUS, BUT I'M NOT TELLING YOU AT ALL WHERE TO FIND THEM TEEHEEE.

Also had a lot of fun (not really) at the Holoholo bird boss fight, which took me around 30 minutes after many unsuccessful tries.

Jay Sosa

The TDE and the Amala Labyrinth were added in the Maniax version of the game, so it's essentially bolted on (but done in a very nice way, in my opinion). If you don't go for it, then you're just left with the original ending choices. It's not that big of a deal.

See above, I simply don't like optional/missable stuff like that in games that take you over 50 hours to finish, especially not when
it changes the ending in a huge way
. Same with Persona 4.

Meh...you could easily look up when you had to complete it by with a quick search. Yeah you need a guide or something but it'll take you two minutes of your time to look it up, and it's just one thing.

You should never have to look something up imho. I know they want to sell their guides but that is bs.

Playing through the original Wild Arms again. Did the item dupe glitch merely to save myself time with battles by maxing out the character stats.

Soriku

Second time visiting the Zaurak Keep (right after the Celestial Veinroots, where you have to collect five damn types of roots so that girl can build you a chairlift). I don't know how far I am in the game, but I hope I don't have 30 hours of gameplay left, otherwise i'll just give up. I feel like it's just one fetch quest after the other. HEY BRING ME FIVE TYPES OF ROOTS! HEY BRING ME 10 ELECTION COOKIES OR WHATEVER, OH BUT YOU CAN'T PASS HERE IF YOU HAVE TOO MANY RED COOKIES! HEY BRING ME THREE FUN TIMES MAGNUS, BUT I'M NOT TELLING YOU AT ALL WHERE TO FIND THEM TEEHEEE.

Also had a lot of fun (not really) at the Holoholo bird boss fight, which took me around 30 minutes after many unsuccessful tries.

lol. I remember that, and well, that's the only part of the game like that barring some sidequests.

Don't stop now. You're VERY VERY close to when thing start getting good :)

See above, I simply don't like optional/missable stuff like that in games that take you over 50 hours to finish, especially not when
it changes the ending in a huge way
. Same with Persona 4.

You should never have to look something up imho. I know they want to sell their guides but that is bs.

www.gamefaqs.com

You'll never need to buy a guide.

Persona86

Banned
I was just mad cause I spend hours upon hours in there (and some of them are infuriating, especially the labyrinths) basically for nothing cause the game didn't make it very clear that I have to finish them before entering a certain area. Most JRPGs have some NPC tell you that...

But hey, if the JRPG drought continues I at least have a good reason to play it again. Though I'm not sure if I really want to revisit some of the Kalpas one more time.

Yeah I get that.

I should google when this certain area will be in case the same thing happens to me. :D

Philia

And I finally beaten and finished FF8 today after owning the damn thing after nearly a decade. YAY.

Now I'm playing Legend of Dragoon and Etrian Odyssey III. LoD's QTE battles are pissing me off though.

Top Bottom