• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

NekoFever

I'm still on my PS1 kick and playing the original Grandia.

197483_42240_front.jpg

I love it so far. I'm about 12 hours in (
West Misty Forest
) and even the shitty voice acting doesn't detract from it too much for me; it just adds to the Saturday morning cartoon feel of the whole thing. And I know the battle system is what people always praise, but it bears repeating how good it is. I actually go around fighting everything because it's not a chore at all.

The whole game makes me feel really nostalgic. I think it's a combination of the sprite artwork, the aforementioned cartoon feel, the 90s J-rock, and the menus that still look like they're straight from the Saturn.

glaurung

In the spirit of FFXIII's last chapter getting released this summer, I dug up FFXIII and played through it once again.

When the game was released in Japan, I imported it and played through, discarding most of the story - which was crap anyhow. Now I replayed the game for some trophies (since FFXIII is one of those rare games that has a shared trophy set between region releases) and to complete the story again. This time I watched the ending cutscenes too. It still made very little sense to me. Too many stupid titles for things that could have been explained otherwise. Oh well.

And then I stuffed the FFXIII-2 disc into my PS3 and started that one from scratch too. I find it an absolute chore to play. The über-convoluted leveling system and tamagochi hoarding are both stupid, but the interface looks a lot sharper and the game play is a lot more fluid. I still doubt I will complete this, the grinding in places is just unbearable.

Maybe I should focus on Ni No Kuni or White Knight Story instead...

Scipius

Final Fantasy XII IZJS on PCSX2 (at 1920x1200, 60 fps and kb/m).

Being out of the console-space, I haven't played a jRPG in a long time. Playing this makes me wonder if I should try to track down a copy of Xenoblade after all.

I'm playing two at the moment depending where I'm staying.

Eternal Sonata on my PS3 - I've finished the 360 version, figured I'd play this one too.

and

Blaze and Blade on my old PS1 at Parents house.

Blaze_and_Blade_-_Eternal_Quest_Coverart.png

Great game, played it a lot at school.

abunai

Currently playing Chrono Cross, as I never did for some reason. I usually re-play Chrono Trigger once a year and felt like I should play Cross.. Enjoying it a lot so far, but I'm only about 2 hours in.

Also playing Secret of Mana.

isual

Get RH at least...definitely worth it. Probably my second favorite DS game after TWEWY.

WA6 isn't coming mang :( I don't know what you mean with WA5 being short btw. How long did it take you to beat it? I spent 90 hours on it and I didn't think it was short at all. The story itself had to be like at least 40 hours.

The world was definitely excellent. One of the best JRPG worlds for sure.

WA5 story took me about 25 hours with a bit of sidequests. I did skip most of the story because I thought it was crap.

And damn do those VP2 screens look good. I bought that for 50 bucks day 1 when I lined up for the wii to help a friend get several units.

Almost finished with megaman x command mission. I've been sparsely playing that for 4 years now. Already at chapter 9, got both absolute and ultimate armor's for X and Zero.
Not sure if I can beat all 9 tail bosses.

I'm still on my PS1 kick and playing the original Grandia.

I love it so far. I'm about 12 hours in (
West Misty Forest
) and even the shitty voice acting doesn't detract from it too much for me; it just adds to the Saturday morning cartoon feel of the whole thing. And I know the battle system is what people always praise, but it bears repeating how good it is. I actually go around fighting everything because it's not a chore at all.

The whole game makes me feel really nostalgic. I think it's a combination of the sprite artwork, the aforementioned cartoon feel, the 90s J-rock, and the menus that still look like they're straight from the Saturn.

Also, I have grandia 2 and 3, beaten 2, still in the beginning at 2 but I still haven't played 1. Should get this sometime.

Did they ever talk about the future of the series? Haven't heard anything about Wild Arms since the release of the 5th, which was even advertised as an anniversary game.
At least Media.Vision still exists (they seem to be mostly doing Shining and Chaos Ring games).

no news as of late. Funny enough, there is no wild arms for the current gen. Here's hoping they'll make at least WA6 for ps3. Skipping to PS4 would be atrocious.

Currently playing Chrono Cross, as I never did for some reason. I usually re-play Chrono Trigger once a year and felt like I should play Cross.. Enjoying it a lot so far, but I'm only about 2 hours in.

Also playing Secret of Mana.

I liked chrono cross far more than chrono trigger; probably because I played that first . It's a great game. dat boss with a hat and glasses was hard.
dat music. dat gameplay. dem dragons. dat early squaresoft cg.
shiettttt

Aeana

Wild ARMs games are great. I haven't played XF yet, but other games I enjoyed a lot. WA5 had some problems, and one of them prevented me from finishing game, unfortunately, even then you are for a fountains of fun. Especially if you like setting, which I liked. The Hex System (in later games) is genius!

wild arms series is superb. I can't wait for wild arms 6!
wild arms 5 was a bit of a letdown since it was short, but the game world was superb.

5 is one of my favorites! I really hate Dean, but other than that I think it's a great game.

Did they ever talk about the future of the series? Haven't heard anything about Wild Arms since the release of the 5th, which was even advertised as an anniversary game.
At least Media.Vision still exists (they seem to be mostly doing Shining and Chaos Ring games).

I think the series is probably dead. At least it ended on high notes (5 and XF).

Jhoan

Tales of Vesperia on consoles, because I never have enough time to put in for a good session.

This. I just loaded up my old saved data yesterday and spent several hours playing it. The last time I played it was on January 10, 2010. I've had the game since 2009 and I still haven't beaten it since there's so much stuff to do even though I'm finally up to the last boss. 115 hours have been poured into it thus far.

This is the type of game that I have to play with a walk through open and have videos up because some events are time sensitive; others don't trigger when they're supposed to and it drives me insane. Looking for those events that net titles is like pulling teeth. Also grinding for materials is a chore in and of itself as well as it's very time consuming.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I think the series is probably dead. At least it ended on high notes (5 and XF).

Yeah, I guess so. But I think the chance for a new one still seems higher than for Breath of Fire.
At least I still have a lot of the series left to play. I stopped playing after the second one wore me down.

Geez...I've got so many JRPGs I've got active games going in, I don't know where to start.

Me and my roommate are finishing up an FF VIII game (just got the airship and are grinding the Islands Closest to Heaven/Hell). Then, we're going to continue a Xenogears game we were playing, and start a FF IX game.

My girlfriend and I are almost finished with FFX.

I was playing a solo game of Grandia PS1 and Xenoblade Wii...I will resume those once FF VIII and FFX are done.

JRPGs <3

Philia

I hate asking but do anyone else here have a backloggery? I'm a fan of jrpgs too and I'd love to have more jrpg fan buddies on there.

Seda

So I played Suikoden for more than 10 hours this weekend. I like it a lot so far, although there is a bit too much text.

Shin_Megami_Tensei_-_Digital_Devil_Saga_Coverart.png

I just finished Persona 4 Golden (loved it but not as much as 3) and I've moved on to this game. I'm not crazy about the combat system and there are way too many random battles for my taste but the story is quite interesting and the world is one of the most fascinating I've seen in this medium. It's a shame they only used this setting for two games.

And I've just ordered a copy of Shin Megami Tensei : Lucifer's Call. I'm a bit worried about the difficulty of that game (I'm not really into very challenging games) but I discovered this series very recently and it has completely rekindled my love for JRPGs and I'm not patient enough to wait for SMT IV !

randomkid

I just finished Persona 4 Golden (loved it but not as much as 3) and I've moved on to this game. I'm not crazy about the combat system and there are way too many random battles for my taste but the story is quite interesting and the world is one of the most fascinating I've seen in this medium. It's a shame they only used this setting for two games.

And I've just ordered a copy of Shin Megami Tensei : Lucifer's Call. I'm a bit worried about the difficulty of that game (I'm not really into very challenging games) but I discovered this series very recently and it has completely rekindled my love for JRPGs and I'm not patient enough to wait for SMT IV !

Not crazy about Press Turn! *pops monocle

Seems like you'll love SMT3's atmosphere though, there's a reason it has such a world class rep around these parts, with your DDS training you'll be up for it.

Soriku

DDS2 spoilers
More like they use the setting in DDS1 for one game. Lol.

Nocturne isn't as hard as people make it out to be. I played P4 and the DDS games before Nocturne and had no issue. You shouldn't either. Maybe if it was your first SMT game. Just be smart about fusing and make sure to utilize buffs/debuffs.

I think Nocturne's world is cooler than DDS btw.

Aeana

Yeah, I guess so. But I think the chance for a new one still seems higher than for Breath of Fire.
At least I still have a lot of the series left to play. I stopped playing after the second one wore me down.

Well, if you play 3, you should hopefully enjoy it. I personally really like 1, 3, 5. 2 and 4 are ehhh. But I'm giving them both another shot this time.

I picked up Tales of Vesperia again the other day. I have no experience with other Tales games and only bought this one because it was on sale somewhere.

The combat is interesting to me because I can switch between party roles as I see fit, which means normal fights against trash mobs doesn't necessarily have to be boring. I'm actually getting the most enjoyment out of controlling Estelle and keeping everyone healed while letting the AI do the DPS grunt work. I don't know how unique Vesperia's combat is in relation to other Tales games, but at least for me it's a breath of fresh air. AND the AI seems competent and pretty customizable, both of which are welcome changes given that the last big RPG I completed was Ni no Kuni.

The story, setting, and music seem forgettable enough, but the character skits are endearing and I really like Yuri as well as the general lighthearted tone of the adventure so far. (I hope it doesn't veer into melodrama or anything, because I will not be nearly as happy with that, but knowing JRPG plots it probably will.) At this point, if all I get out of the game is fun combat and however many hours of anime tropes squawking at each other, I think I'll be satisfied.

Not crazy about Press Turn! *pops monocle

Seems like you'll love SMT3's atmosphere though, there's a reason it has such a world class rep around these parts, with your DDS training you'll be up for it.

The Press Turn system is growing on me but I really enjoyed being able to switch Personas on a whim during a battle. Having to commit Serph (the main character) to a certain upgrade path is quite a dilemma ! Theoretically I could have him learn everything but i don't have that much free time...

DDS2 spoilers

Nocturne isn't as hard as people make it out to be. I played P4 and the DDS games before Nocturne and had no issue. You shouldn't either. Maybe if it was your first SMT game. Just be smart about fusing and make sure to utilize buffs/debuffs.

Thanks for the advice, I almost never use buffs/debuffs but the SMT games are starting to make me change my play style. It's never too late !

Ra1den

Geez...I've got so many JRPGs I've got active games going in, I don't know where to start.

Me and my roommate are finishing up an FF VIII game (just got the airship and are grinding the Islands Closest to Heaven/Hell). Then, we're going to continue a Xenogears game we were playing, and start a FF IX game.

My girlfriend and I are almost finished with FFX.

I was playing a solo game of Grandia PS1 and Xenoblade Wii...I will resume those once FF VIII and FFX are done.

JRPGs <3

Damn dude, I'm jelly. You guys are playing some of the finest JRPGs ever right there.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Finished Devil Survivor, now I'm going on to Suikoden Tierkreis.

... this is my third time attempting this game, so I'm not sure if it will manage to hold my attention. (I've beat all the main Suikoden games, but haven't managed to make myself play much of the side stuff.)

Just played Vesperia(PS3) again and finally reached the end of the final dungeon. I kinda spammed holy bottles near the end but I'm over leveled anyway. Probably the only one, but I hate final dungeons. I kinda want to just finish it already since I'll be busy the rest of summer but at the same time, I'm missing a lot of things.

pablito

nothing currently. for some reason i have been wanting to play a dragon quest. i liked 8, but that's the only one i've played. i think i have a means to play them all. suggestions?

Philia

nothing currently. for some reason i have been wanting to play a dragon quest. i liked 8, but that's the only one i've played. i think i have a means to play them all. suggestions?

DO IT. IN ORDER. 1-9 :3

Finished Devil Survivor, now I'm going on to Suikoden Tierkreis.

... this is my third time attempting this game, so I'm not sure if it will manage to hold my attention. (I've beat all the main Suikoden games, but haven't managed to make myself play much of the side stuff.)

Oooh, what's wrong with the game? Besides... boring? I'm interested in the game.

I haven't played Dragon Quest 1, 2 & 7 but other than that I think 5 is the best one by a long shot. The game is really emotional, you follow your character from his birth and through the most important parts of his life. You go on adventures with your father, you get married, you eventually have children... It's a simple story but it's very touching.

And if you can't stand random battles I would recommend 9. It's not my favourite but it does a good job of modernizing the DQ formula.

Tenrius

I got to the final boss in Dragon Quest IX. What's with the sudden difficulty spike? I've been going through everything up to that point with ease, but this last boss is suddenly much harder (
the dragon
, in comparison, was really easy).

I'll also probably resolve my 50 something hours ongoing playthrough of SMT: Nocturne soon.

Artorias

Banned
Ni No Kuni. I put it on hold for a while to play MH3U and a few other things, but i've been playing it the last 2 days.

cluderi

Damn it, my backlog is LOTR tower sized and yet I've just picked up SMT Nocturne with all the praise I keep seeing.

I'm playing Vesperia currently about 85% done. Playing the US version on my US 360 even though I beat the UK version when it come out here in 2008. The achievements are separate to the PAL version even though they're exactly the same. So they stack on top. It's a fun game to play again.

Also replaying Star Ocean TLH for more battle trophies and complete secret dungeon this time.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Oooh, what's wrong with the game? Besides... boring? I'm interested in the game.

Well, it isn't much like the original series, but I'm not one to hold it against it for that. It doesn't seem bad mechanically, but it's just not holding my attention. None of the characters I've met are particularly interesting and the story hasn't caught me in any way. On paper the story sounds like it could have been interesting, but it just feels like it's being presented wrong.

Damn it, my backlog is LOTR tower sized and yet I've just picked up SMT Nocturne with all the praise I keep seeing.

I'm the same way. I've got about half a dozen JrRPG's in my backlog I plan to get at sometime down the line. It will probably take awhile since Trails of Zero Evolution is going to take awhile to finish.

Philia

Well, it isn't much like the original series, but I'm not one to hold it against it for that. It doesn't seem bad mechanically, but it's just not holding my attention. None of the characters I've met are particularly interesting and the story hasn't caught me in any way. On paper the story sounds like it could have been interesting, but it just feels like it's being presented wrong.

Oh okay, I thought the gameplay/battles was the middling factor. Is it playable disregarding the story?

GeekyDad

IZHN7Ov.jpg

Third attempt, and it's sticking finally this time around. The story is preposterous, but it's a fun-as-hell game all the same. I can't help but feel the writers of the story are about as qualified to tell a tale as my brother was when he would DM to D&D when we were kids.

DDS2 spoilers

Just got thru the Solid's base again and I forgot how much it resembles a Rajasthan palace design-wise. Dat Kaneko Goodness™...it's hard to get out of your mind. End up comparing subsequent RPGs to it...

Link1110

Just finished my last finals ever, so I'm open... Just got 7th Dragon but I think I'm gonna leave that for my 20 hour flight to Shanghai...

Thinking Breath of Fire 3 after finishing up 999.

Just Persona 4 Golden I guess. I really haven't been playing JRPGs lately,

I did play a little bit of Tales of the Abyss 3D. Forgot how much I enjoyed that game on the PS2. Looks good on 3DS.

Just beat pokemon platinum and vagrant story. Really feeling like I want to play dragon force on saturn and I had this feeling years ago and let it pass. But I kinda want to play shadow hearts 3 instead. Also waiting on rune factory 4.

Top Bottom