• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

isual

Jeanne D'arc, which I'm finding pretty fucking awesome and accesible as a complete SRPG noob like myself.

that's a really good srpg for the psp. I found myself replaying the maps at least another time to level grind and get some items and skills

Eternal Sonata. Bought it like a year ago and it's just been collecting dust.

superb game. dat battle ost. dat bonus dungeon.
hnnngh

isual

I popped up my backlog of raidou 1 and 2, and damn, it seems like you need a guide for this game to figure out where to go next

I'm playing at least one on each handheld and several of the consoles I own.

Currently:

3DS - Fire Emblem Awakening with Etrian Odyssey as soon as I get around to beating the final boss. This has been the one I've been playing the most actively.

DSi - The World Ends with You, which I picked up when I went back to the US for Christmas. It's interesting, but it hasn't really grabbed me, so I haven't put much time into it so far. Everyone says it's amazing, and I do like the music and art, I just hope the gameplay catches up soon. Also got to the final boss of DQVI and got slaughtered months ago. Never got around to trying it again, so I should do that.

PSP - Tactics Ogre, bought it on release, put it down about 3/4 of the way through, have been meaning to go back since. Also, I have put a fair bit of time into Trails in the Sky, and I pick it up again every couple of months, but then I get depressed at how the next game will never be released in English, and it may be years before my Japanese is at a level to play it, and I put it down.

Wii - Almost forgot that I've been playing Xenoblade off and on for the last year. I'm pretty far, but I got bogged down doing side quests to unlock the skill trees and started to feel like I was wasting my time trying to raise city affinity. When I go back, I'm just going to plow through the rest of the story.

Super Famicom - Umm, I've bought every Dragon Quest and almost every Square game for the system, as well as Fire Emblem 3 and 4 (not ready to shell out for Thracia 776 yet). I started DQ 1 from the DQ collection thinking that I would be able to read it easily since I wouldn't need to worry about Kanji much, but the lack of Kanji actually made it really hard to look words up. I'll try again for nostalgia's sake eventually, but I may just jump to 2, which is the only game I haven't played much of in the series (maybe 1/3 of it about 15-20 years ago).

Famicom - Tried out both Fire Emblems. Having played through Shadow Dragon and also owning Monsha no Nazo, I have little interest in the first game, but Gaiden was extremely enjoyable. I also found it very easy to read and understand despite the lack of Kanji. I'm not sure whether I want to continue on my Famicom or get it for my 3DS.

Arthea

3 is more than decent in my eyes. It might even be my favorite WA. I liked 2 a little bit more than last time, but not a whole lot more. I've always maintained that 1/3/5 are the best ones. I'll re-evaluate once I'm done replaying them.

Not sure I can name reasons, but I like first two more than third, I even might like 4-5 more, still first 2 are my favourites. It might change if I would replay them know, I actually remember 3 having boring dungeons, not 2!

Eternal Sonata. Bought it like a year ago and it's just been collecting dust.

I don't envy you, it might be the worst most beautiful RPG this gen for me (><)

Christhor

I've been playing quite a few JRPGs lately, after having basically dropped them for years. Right now though, I'm playing Atelier Ayesha, which is a legitimately good game in its own right. Also playing Nier here and there, despite having beaten it five times already. Such an amazing game Nier is.

Ni no Kuni

Well, I'm going to restart it. It got unwillingly ignored after I purchased it and I think it's best to just start a new play through.

isual

I seriously cannot believe that people take the time to play jrpgs through again. I usually just stop, come back after months, or years and just play right through again.

steveovig

I've been playing through Final Fantasy VII and Dragon Quest VI. FFVII has been awesome and it is my first time going through. I'm 43 hours in and I suspect I'm close to the third disc with Cloud at level 78. I'm getting demolished underwater at the sunken sub. There's a copter in there but I can't figure out if I can get in there. The enemies drive me nuts, especially this giant plant thing that casts confused at the start of every battle.

DQ is a little less exciting but I'm getting through it. My main character is up to level 30 and I hate the slow progression compared to FFVII. It feels like my guys are never going to level up. I just got the knight slime guy and he started at level 1!

Tenrius

I've spent like 5 hours playing SMT: Nocturne yesterday. Got to Amala Temple and beat two of the bosses there.

I also went back to Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulles Army and beat the final boss. I tend to do this a lot, actually: get to the final boss and then just stop playing for a while (1.5 years in this case) or just drop the game altogether (as I did with FFVIII PC years ago).

Taruranto

Pretty much finished WA5 (i only have to do the final boss but at this point it will be a joke), i'm starting Tales of Destiny, which for some reason i completely ignored for years.

aravuus

Just finished the first Baten Kaitos, tried to play Origins but couldn't get into it, opposite to what most people think, I really disliked most of the changes they did.

Now playing Skies of Arcadia Legends but I'm not sure if it'll keep me interested. Too... Slow. Slow movement, slow camera, kind of slow-ish battles, slow everything. I really really really hate it when stuff is this slow. And the story is super cliche so nothing to keep me interested there.

Just finished the first Baten Kaitos, tried to play Origins but couldn't get into it, opposite to what most people think, I really disliked most of the changes they did.

Ha I thought I was the only one. I have tried and tried yet could never get into the battle system for some reason. I actually really liked the one in the original too. Kinda bugged me, because people praise the story so damn much. Maybe some day it will click...I hope.

I am actually still playing Ni No Kuni, trying to finish all the side quests and trophies, but I am very excited to play something new soon. I am thinking about Tales of Graces f since I am a huge Tales fan, but I might wait for Tales of Xillia. I am interested in Time and Eternity for some reason, too. I keep wishing South Park: The Stick of Truth would arrive, as well.

Soriku

Now playing Skies of Arcadia Legends but I'm not sure if it'll keep me interested. Too... Slow. Slow movement, slow camera, kind of slow-ish battles, slow everything. I really really really hate it when stuff is this slow. And the story is super cliche so nothing to keep me interested there.

That's basically SoA in a nutshell. And the story always remains cliche. The game's pretty overrated.

I say give BKO another chance. I think the systems/refinements are for the better and they'll probably click with you as you get used to them. Plus it has a good story, characters, music to keep you interested as well.

Aeana

Ha I thought I was the only one. I have tried and tried yet could never get into the battle system for some reason. I actually really liked the one in the original too. Kinda bugged me, because people praise the story so damn much. Maybe some day it will click...I hope.

I think it's really weird that people prefer the system in the original BK, myself. The defense phase makes me so angry. :(

But aside from that, BKO has one of the best translations in the industry and BK has... not that.

I thought this thread said "what jpeg are you playing right now?" at first.

Lately I've been in the mood to start a new JRPG, specifically on my Nintendo DS. I've played World Ends With You, Dragon Quest VI, Etrian Odyssey 3, and the FFIV remake.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe Strange Journey, Radiant Historia, Dragon Quest V or XI, or 999, although that last one might not be considered a JRPG. Need help deciding, or if there are any others I should check out?

Yuterald

3 is more than decent in my eyes. It might even be my favorite WA. I liked 2 a little bit more than last time, but not a whole lot more. I've always maintained that 1/3/5 are the best ones. I'll re-evaluate once I'm done replaying them.

What are your thoughts on Wild ARMs 3's Personal Skill/Medium system? It's one of the main reasons why I dislike WA3 so much. I was so unbelievably offended that you couldn't remove accessories from Mediums. The fact that you could potentially delete a Sheriff Star still makes me lose sleep at night, lol! In all seriousness, I'm a huge WA fan, and 3 was the hardest for me to digest. It kind of took the worst elements from WA2 (world map scanning and a somewhat questionable skill system) and somehow made the Personal Skills worse, in my eyes at least.

I also thought the game was just way too long. I loved it until the latter half of the game, once that cyber elf girl got introduced I was done, lol! I couldn't even remember what the fuck that game was about at that point. I loved, loved, LOVED the Quarter Knight-like crew, the Prophets, was it? When that side of the game played itself out I was kind of disappointed to see it continue.

I will say that Wild ARMs 3 has an amazing soundtrack, likeable characters, a nice visual style, some of the best dungeons/tools in the series, and some MAD content/value. Game's loaded (but every Wild ARMs kind of is). I'll have to replay the third one again at some point, actually. Maybe I'll look at it in a different light.

Wiz

The World Ends With You. To be honest, not feeling the mechanics/controls so far (about 3 days in) but I expect to get used to it sooner rather than later.

Soriku

I thought this thread said "what jpeg are you playing right now?" at first.

Lately I've been in the mood to start a new JRPG, specifically on my Nintendo DS. I've played World Ends With You, Dragon Quest VI, Etrian Odyssey 3, and the FFIV remake.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe Strange Journey, Radiant Historia, Dragon Quest V or XI, or 999, although that last one might not be considered a JRPG. Need help deciding, or if there are any others I should check out?

Radiant Historia or SJ. I like RH more though.

It may not be pretty as the playstation, but I'm going back to Saturn Grandia. So charming. It was either this or FFVII international and Grandia won.

Necrovex

I think it's really weird that people prefer the system in the original BK, myself. The defense phase makes me so angry. :(

But aside from that, BKO has one of the best translations in the industry and BK has... not that.

I always found BK's character design as somewhat funky. The characters look kind of ugly in it. I need to get my GC controller back from my friend, so I can start playing through BK.

aravuus

I can't quite put my finger on what it was that I didn't like in BKO and liked in BK about the battle system. It was slower, clunkier and the defense phase sucked, but somehow I still enjoyed it more. Now it could be that I just got burned on the whole card based battle system since I wasn't very much a fan of it from the start.

I'll try and come back to BKO some day though, while I usually dislike prequel stuff the whole "wake up in another place" thing got me intrigued. And it has the best, or rather, the only good female character I've seen in a Monolith Soft game, Milly. Somehow the studio's writers just seem to write the worst female characters I've seen in games, but from the hours I did put in the game, Milly seemed to be awesome. Love her voice acting too.

Kind of starting to run out of JRPGs, if that's possible. Ones that have a good story, at least. Maybe I'll give Wild Arms 5 a shot.

Soriku

I can't quite put my finger on what it was that I didn't like in BKO and liked in BK about the battle system. It was slower, clunkier and the defense phase sucked, but somehow I still enjoyed it more. Now it could be that I just got burned on the whole card based battle system since I wasn't very much a fan of it from the start.

I'll try and come back to BKO some day though, while I usually dislike prequel stuff the whole "wake up in another place" thing got me intrigued. And it has the best, or rather, the only good female character I've seen in a Monolith Soft game, Milly. Somehow the studio's writers just seem to write the worst female characters I've seen in games, but from the hours I did put in the game, Milly seemed to be awesome. Love her voice acting too.

Kind of starting to run out of JRPGs, if that's possible. Ones that have a good story, at least. Maybe I'll give Wild Arms 5 a shot.

I think some people just like the three deck system in BK1 over the more streamlined one deck in BKO, but the system in BKO is just faster and the combos you can do with your party are badass.

Edit: Also BKO has cool art.

tumblr_mgl09uKbbQ1qcjglso1_500.jpg

Baten_Kaitos_II_Art_01pe.jpg

Arthursw1

Ni no Kuni, Bought it since launch, but didn't have a chance to play it till now, 8 hours in enjoying this game a lot!

Taruranto

The game gets significantly better in the second half imo, once you get
your own airship and HQ.

I wasn't a fan of the beginning either.

You don't like teh KOS-MOS? :(

LX89Xyo.gif

I think some people just like the three deck system in BK1 over the more streamlined one deck in BKO, but the system in BKO is just faster and the combos you can do with your party are badass.

Edit: Also BKO has cool art.

Personally i think each BS had its own charm. I liked how fast BKO origin was, but i loved doing long combos in the original and i didn't feel like i had to use any protection item in Origins.

Cess007

Ni no Kuni

Well, I'm going to restart it. It got unwillingly ignored after I purchased it and I think it's best to just start a new play through.

Pretty much thinking about doing the same; i played a few hours and then ignored it for months. I think i better restart the game. It's annoying habit of me to do that with lot of games. Also, Paper Mario 3DS count, right? If so, then yeah, that's what i'm playing too : )

Aeana

What are your thoughts on Wild ARMs 3's Personal Skill/Medium system? It's one of the main reasons why I dislike WA3 so much. I was so unbelievably offended that you couldn't remove accessories from Mediums. The fact that you could potentially delete a Sheriff Star still makes me lose sleep at night, lol! In all seriousness, I'm a huge WA fan, and 3 was the hardest for me to digest. It kind of took the worst elements from WA2 (world map scanning and a somewhat questionable skill system) and somehow made the Personal Skills worse, in my eyes at least.

I also thought the game was just way too long. I loved it until the latter half of the game, once that cyber elf girl got introduced I was done, lol! I couldn't even remember what the fuck that game was about at that point. I loved, loved, LOVED the Quarter Knight-like crew, the Prophets, was it? When that side of the game played itself out I was kind of disappointed to see it continue.

I will say that Wild ARMs 3 has an amazing soundtrack, likeable characters, a nice visual style, some of the best dungeons/tools in the series, and some MAD content/value. Game's loaded (but every Wild ARMs kind of is). I'll have to replay the third one again at some point, actually. Maybe I'll look at it in a different light.

Too long? The game is like 25 hours... 25 hours is what my last save has on it, I'll see what I get to this time.

As for the medium/skill system, I agree that it's crappy that they don't really warn you about the items being permanent, but other than that it actually doesn't really bother me. It gives you more reasons to equip mediums besides just their abilities or stat boosts. I'll take it over the PSS systems in WA2 and WA4 at minimum, which I think are just kinda silly. Especially 4's, which is very linear.

Final Fantasy XII. I've owned it since day one and never really got past the first 5 or 10 hours. I also never really took the time to understand the leveling system, so my characters where weirdly leveled. Hopefully this time I can give it the attention it deserves.

Persona 4 Golden. Probably 'three-months' in and loving it.

Taruranto

Too long? The game is like 25 hours... 25 hours is what my last save has on it, I'll see what I get to this time.

As for the medium/skill system, I agree that it's crappy that they don't really warn you about the items being permanent, but other than that it actually doesn't really bother me. It gives you more reasons to equip mediums besides just their abilities or stat boosts. I'll take it over the PSS systems in WA2 and WA4 at minimum, which I think are just kinda silly. Especially 4's, which is very linear.

Out of curiosity Aeana, looking at this thread (and the previous threads like the essential RPGs list) there are a lot of jrpg players on GAF, would a Jrpg Community be possible? Or would it cover too many games/kill the flow of discussions on the gaming side?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Just beat Golden Sun for the first time. I can see why it gets a lot of praise. I especially loved the Djinni system and the fuckawesome summons. And damn that cliffhanger. I bet that pissed a bunch of people off when this originally released. It's a good thing I'm about to jump into The Lost Age. I was going to do it immediately, but fuck that overly long Gold password. I'll copy it down when I'm less lazy.

Born2Live

Finally got a Vita last week and decided it would be a good time try my first Persona game. Started with Persona 3 Portable and loving it so far. Also got Soul Sacrifice waiting for me once I tear myself away from P3P.

Got Ni No Kuni on the back burner, think I'm a third of the way through. Hoping to complete before Tales of Xillia is released.

Also on the radar is Persona 4 Golden and another play through of both Final Fantasy VII and IX.

hao chi

I've spent like 5 hours playing SMT: Nocturne yesterday. Got to Amala Temple and beat two of the bosses there.

You're pretty much where I am at. Just finished the Amala Temple yesterday, and made a bit more progress after that, including getting to the bottom of the Third Kalpa.

Yuterald

The game never felt like it ended for me. I haven't played it in years though so I can't recall what my time was when I finished it.

The problem I had with WA2's PSS system is that a lot of the skills, from what I recall, were either useless or misleading in their function. I seem to recall maxing the status ailment skills only to find out that they barely worked. Also, if you didn't max out the HP Up at Level Up Skill as soon as possible (before gaining too many levels) then say goodbye to having a fair fight against Ragu, lol!

StuBurns

Banned
I've been playing a lot of Ni no Kuni, and I must say, I've completely changed my tune. It's grabbed me and is giving me a very cool Dragon Quest vibe (for whatever reason I was thinking/hoping for it to inspire those PS1-Final Fantasies feelings). I don't know how far I am, but I'm twenty five hours in, and will be playing plenty more in the coming days.

benson827

Banned
Xenoblade on the wii.
I believe this game will redifine jrpg genre just like the profound impact FFVII had on me. Truly the best jrpg ever made.
I am so glad committed and paid the high entry fee in hunting down this rare gem.

Xenoblade on the wii.
I believe this game will redifine jrpg genre just like the profound impact FFVII had on me. Truly the best jrpg ever made.
I am so glad committed and paid the high entry fee in hunting down this rare gem.

I'm On The Edge About ThIs One. I Want To Play It, Bu I'm Not SUre It's Worth The $$$

Just got to the halfway point or so of Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon X. Absolutely love the battle system in this game, and it just makes me all the more annoyed at Namco not just for not localizing this, but passing over most of the Tales games that have more unique takes on the LMBS.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Still working through ToGf. I think I'm pretty close to the end. I'm tired of hearing about how to save Richard.

I'm playing Ni No Kuni and I think I'm about to start The Last Story.

I've been playing a lot of Ni no Kuni, and I must say, I've completely changed my tune. It's grabbed me and is giving me a very cool Dragon Quest vibe (for whatever reason I was thinking/hoping for it to inspire those PS1-Final Fantasies feelings). I don't know how far I am, but I'm twenty five hours in, and will be playing plenty more in the coming days.

Oh, so it gets better? I'm currently about 6 hours in and kind of bored. The game is really easy and the story is moving slowly. If these problems are fixed later on, I'm willing to keep going.

Top Bottom