• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Pokemon would you want to see added in an NX "Super Pokken"?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Now that Pokken has been out for a few days it seems a lot of folks are enjoying it, but there's still the speculation about a possible NX remaster down the line---"Super Pokken", if you will, which I think seems like a logical choice. Pokemon games are known for their "Third Version", Fighting games are known for their "Super Version", it just works. The only major issue I see is how well Pokken will perform as I recall rumors about the arcade version floundering, though apparently this was due to the credit system it used costing the owners more money than it's worth as it wasn't strict enough, or alternatively was just a one-Arcade rumor spread around to discredit the game. I don't know if there's any sales data yet for the Wii U version, but word of mouth seems positive.

With that being said, while the characters in Pokken each feel very unique and well incorporated, there's still the feeling of "if only this Pokemon was in Pokken" and if we do get a remastered NX version, it's likely we'll see a couple of new Pokemon added, perhaps a few of them appearing in the arcade version first over the next year or so.

With that being said, what Pokemon would you like to see make it into "Super Pokken"? Eight new characters sounds like a realistic expectation, though perhaps that might be a bit on the positive side since it seems the characters probably take awhile to fully implement, so I chose eight candidates I'd personally like to see taking in account expanding the Generation and Type representation alongside those who I think would make interesting fighters...

Vespiquen - Bug/Flying - Generation IV
lUTGLYV.jpg

Art by evilapple513

Pokken lacks a Bug-type Pokemon, and Vespiquen seems like she'd offer up an interesting playstyle due to her ability to control an army of Combee to do her bidding. I imagine her as a ranged fighter who can charge up an attack (Power Gem?) to summon multiple Combee and then choose Attack Order, Defend Order, or Heal Order to perform unique functions that are powered up the more Combee who are currently supporting her, perhaps using Signal Beam to order them where to move before initiating the attack. I also imagine her throwing around sticky honey around the field to slow down the opponent, and using other tricky moves such as Sweet Scent to confuse and mess with the foe while her Combee do all the dirty work.

Personality wise, well, she'd serve as the traditional "oujou" archetype, the noblewoman complete with the requisite laugh who looks down on all the other fighters. Braixen kind of fills the younger, "idol role", while Vespiquen could be seen as the more classy and mature female fighter. Imagine her entering the battle surrounded by countless Combee who form a hive around her, separating as the jewel on her head glows signaling her glamorous entry into a fight.

Toxicroak - Poison/Fighting - Generation IV
pHmLFIX.jpg

Art by ultimatesassmaster

Every fighting game has that obnoxious, gross, and unappealing character only jerks use---I don't think Pokken really has any character who qualifies though. Gengar kind of fills that archetype except he's a popular and pretty cute Pokemon. Toxicroak seems like he'd fit that role quite well, he's the evolution of Croagunk---a mascot Pokemon itself---but unlike his pre-evolution he's known for being pretty offputting and vicious, a really dirty fighter. I could see him playing like Voldo from Soul Calibur, moving around with a bizarre swagger and using a very flexible body with his sharp claws to deliver the hurt upon the opponent. He could also build up toxic energy in his pouch to fire off at the opponent for long-range attacks.

In terms of personality, imagine him just contorting and flexing in really bizarre ways throughout the entire fight and always snickering---since Pokken is a bit "darker", maybe have poison slowly dripping from his mouth like drool and have him lick his claws like knives after a fight. Even when he loses have him appear to be wholly unphazed, perhaps even looking at the player on the screen and laughing at their misery---the kind of Pokemon you want to punch in the face.

Landorus Incarnate/Therian Forme - Ground/Flying - Generation V
VhhfWb4.jpg
N22m2hE.png

Therian Art by salanchu

A lot of people were joking about Landorus getting into Pokken due to its reputation as the bane of the competitive scene, and I think he'd be a pretty nice fit in giving us another Legendary Pokemon and a character who uses a "Transformation" system. In this case I'm thinking when in Field Phase Landorus is in its quadrupedal Therian Forme, charging around as flowers grow in his footsteps (since he's said to make soil fertile) and focusing on long ranged attacks while in Duel Phase he switches to the humanoid Incarnate Forme, becoming more like a grappler.

Personality wise, he'd be the "oldest" member of the cast and a grumpy grandfather figure who is also quite reflective after the battle is over, meditating over his victory or gracefully accepting his defeat. When in Therian Forme he'd be a bit more wild, but would still retain his sage-like wisdom and gracefulness.

Sudowoodo - Rock - Generation II
R5HgD9f.jpg

Art by fravitora

The first Rock Pokemon of Pokken, and basically akin to Tekken's Mokujin. His moveset would draw from various moves known by the other Pokemon through his Mimic move with his Pokemon Moves being his own moves such as Flail, Low Kick, and Double Edge, the majority of his unique moves being powerful, but very clumsy and or hard to pull off, such as causing him to fall after using them. Maybe Flail would get more powerful the more damage he's taken, a last resort sort of move?

He'd basically be the game's resident joke character, all of his animations very silly and his personality would be constantly happy and spacey, after each fight he'd simply stand still and turn into a tree. But c'mon, I really can't believe the Pokken team didn't think of "Sudowoodo Mokujin", it was right there.

Snorlax - Normal - Generation I
V2VHhUJ.jpg

Art by sheeters

Snorlax would be the Normal representative. While usually Snorlax is constantly sleeping, the Pokken one would be wide awake and quite grumpy, a very agile fighter akin to Tekken's Bob who relies on his speed and weight to take on the opponent head on. However he'd grow tired if he fights too hard, forced to use Rest causing him to topple over and briefly be stunned, though in exchange his health would slightly increase though he'd be vulnerable for a few seconds so you have to watch how tired he gets. His Burst would prevent him from getting tired.

Personality wise in battle he'd be really mean looking and pose like a sumo wrestler, though after the whole match he'd instantly topple over and fall asleep till the next fight.

Samurott - Water - Generation V
2cAOQfX.jpg

Art by Yilx

The Water Starter, Samurott would be a stance-change character. One stance is "Sheathed", in which his sword is kept in its holster and he moves rather quickly on all fours, using attacks like Aqua Jet and Surf to move around. He can use Swords Dance to draw his Seamitar, the sword kept in his arm, and would take a more bipedal pose slowly dragging the sword behind him slowing him down, but he'd be able to use more powerful sword-based attacks such as Fury Cutter and Shell Blade. His Burst would have him draw a second sword and dual-wield.

Personality wise he'd be the noble knight, acting like a gentleman and one for elaborate poses to celebrate his victory. Maybe a bit of a braggart who exaggerates his own chivalry since his first form, Oshawott, tends to be characterized that way. Samurott looks pretty awkward in most media, but I'd love to see the Pokken team take a stab at depicting him in a more realistic manner.

Goodra - Dragon - Generation VI
BULuqO4.png

Art by crayon-chewer

Another Generation VI Pokemon (looking through outside of Greninja and Hawlucha there's not many options that jump out to me honestly), I was thinking Goodra could be a "fun" character to control, gliding around on its slime, shooting out bubbles and bouncing around off them, and stretching its arms out just for you. Just a character who feels good to control, and perhaps "easy" to win with, but also easy to counter once you figure it out.

Personality wise...oh boy, Gardevoir, Braixen, and Goodra in the same game. Uh, well, I feel like they'd probably make it clumsy cute or something. You know tripping on its own slime, stuff like that.

Ninjask - Bug/Flying - Generation III
eAM9Ra0.png

Art by joltik92

A character who would always be slightly hovering above the ground Ninjask would be the quickest character in the game but not particularly powerful and with the lowest HP. He can move around quickly, and uses various trickery moves such as Double Team, Substitute (summoning Shedinja as a shield), Hidden Power, and Baton Pass to fool the opponent and make it hard to keep up with him.

Personality wise he'd be the traditional ninja, very quiet and emotionless, only concerned with winning the fight.

I want to see Ditto as a Mokujin type randomized character and Smeargle as a character who's moveset is made up of moves from the rest of the cast.
stvYNpy.png

Don't mess.

Murrah

Banned
Krookodile and Heracross would be the main ones I want to see. No playable Scyther, Scizor or Heracross seems like the biggest missed opportunity to me, and Heracross is my favorite of those so let's go with him.

Krookodile on the other hand is just awesome. Give him the sunglasses from the anime too.

MicH

Vespiquen is a great pick. Personally ud like to see Kingler and Ledian. I think both would be awesome additions

I thought Greninja was surely in but I guess not so there's it.
Game needs more Gen V so I would like my two bros, Scrafty and Krookodile in.

TDLink

Assuming we get another 16...

1. Blastoise
  2. Hawlucha
  3. Sawsbuck
  4. Scyther or Scizor
  5. Heracross
  6. Galvantula
  7. Snorlax
  8. Pidgeot
  9. Deoxys
  10. Buizel
  11. Hitmontop
  12. Venusaur
  13. Nidorino
  14. Latios/Latias
  15. Smeargle
  16. Tyrantrum

The top 4 are my picks if we fill those 4 slots with this first game.

JazzmanZ

The one and only

250px-Wobbuffet_pop_out.png

I like the idea that this pokemon basically only hits if you predict what move the opponent is going to use

Zoroark, Shaymin (Sky), and Squirtle.

Actually, fuck it, I want way more than just that.

Deoxys, Scizor, Sandslash, and Heracross.
(There are SO many more I would want, I might end up editing again, lol!)

I was thinking of making this thread but considered it too soon, bless ya Birdie.

Yeah so Pokken has a pretty varied roster regarding styles but it's lacking in some type and generational diversity as well as an odd abundance of fire (three of which are starter forms).
I'd like to round out the roster to patch those holes but ideally the best pokemon are the ones that would make interesting movesets or visually distinct in fighting style.
Safer bets would probably be Hawlucha, Heracross, Greninja and one of quite a few potential Gen 5 mon (Golurk/Bisharp/Zoroark/Haxorus...)

But screw safe, lets go crazy...

Octillery
Sometimes you just want something different and what better than having an octopus cannon hybrid scrambling over the battlefield?
Octillery's rather unique quirk is the ability to learn various moves unfitting for a water type due to its Cannon motif connection.
Aside from the expected water and ice related beams it can pack Flamethrower, signal beam (bug), energy beam (electric) Bullet Seed/Energy Ball (grass), Gunk Shot/Sludge Bomb (poison), Rock Blast (...rock), Flash Cannon (steel)...you get the idea.
A projectile heavy character that packs all sorts of varied ranged moves that cause varying status effects, come on you know this would be great!
Plus it has those suction strikes....
150c3691c445157ed17730c051751840eecea6a6_hq.gif

Chase17

Good picks in the OP. I came here to say Goodra. I'll add Ambipom too.

There are so many if be happy to see in the game, and even a Pokemon I'm not actively thinking of could turn out amazing.

V-Faction

Octillery would fit the current Chandelure motif as it exists in Pokken right now quite well. Multi-limbed, projectile shooting turret.

Water Pokemon are also a big glaring absence from the game. Suicune feels more like an Ice-type. What would be preferable is a Water-type that swims around in the floor like Gengar and has a variety of low and mid attacks, but nothing high.

TDLink

Octillery would fit the current Chandelure motif as it exists in Pokken right now quite well. Multi-limbed, projectile shooting turret.

Water Pokemon are also a big glaring absence from the game. Suicune feels more like an Ice-type. What would be preferable is a Water-type that swims around in the floor like Gengar and has a variety of low and mid attacks, but nothing high.

Octillery could swim around too. It could have dive like Garchomp has dig as well.

woopWOOP

Put Garbodor in that role for maximum salt
Garbodor would be legit hella cool. There's some crazy moves they can think up for a being that's made out of flexible goo, but has the metal rods sticking out to give its attacks some punch.

Sandslash was and still is my #1 gen1 monster so I would be hella stoked to see him get in, but I don't think he has much to set it apart from Sneasel and Garchomp that are already in. Medicham and Shiftry would be neat, but that's mostly because they remind me of Dhalsim and that Tengu boss from Dead or Alive, lol.

Really tho, any newcomers are fine by me and the crazier the better (I kind of want Octillary in now too)

The game JUST came out and people want an enhanced version of it for the NX?

Isn't that the kind of thing you guys get mad at when Capcom does it?

Before more Pokemon I would like a mode where you have to switch Pokemon in between each round or something akin to MVC3.

Pokemon wise I would like to see Darkrai, Luxray, Pidgeot, and starmie

Top Bottom