• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What studio MS is closing next, share your predictions

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Probably Ninja Theory.

Maybe Obsidian if Avowed ends up being a flop. I hope it isn't, but to be honest I wasn't impressed with it's gameplay. Cool visual design tho, and if the writting's decent enough I might end up giving it a go.

I fear for id Software. No reason to, but stil...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It doesn't matter, Tango is the ONLY studio i like from them and now it gone......absolutely fucking shame.

jakinov

The Initiative so that they can focus on AAA game studios instead. Too many As to finish in a reasonably amount of time. Look at Skull and Bones.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Ninja Theory.

Undead Labs will be on the chopping block too.

I looked up Undead Labs on the Internet and boy oh boy, they're in trouble ... Haven't released a game in the past six years, there's no news on "State of Decay 3" except a rumor that it could be delayed to 2027. The biggest news was an expose about that studio appeared on Kotaku two years and told stories of sexism, bullying and burn out while at the same time the studio prided itself on pushing diversity, equity and inclusion. What must have happened was that the old timers disregarded the opinions of the inexperienced newcomers. And when that happened MS stepped in and doubled down on DEI and focused on even more diversity hiring.

xXein17.jpeg

Last edited:
Ninja Theory - Marvel IP
Initiative - closed
Double Fine - Sold
Obsidian - Fallout
Compulsion - closed
Undead Labs - closed, IP given to 20 people at Obsidian
Coalition / Blizzard / Turn 10 / Playground / 343 / ID Software / Rare / Machine Games - safe
inXile - Unknown at this point. Likely safe.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’d be worried about Obsidian and Ninja Theory.

Playground, Coalition and 343 are safe, although the fact that 343 is safe is hilarious.

Turn 10 need to deliver on the next Motorsport or I’d be worried about them as well.

Oh yeah, Initiative will be closed without ever releasing a game. Book it.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Obsidian.

If Avowed doesn't perform then they're being taken out back and shot.

Ninja Theory are also going to be chopped.

Hudo

Undead Labs, probably. What have these guys been doing anyway? They've announced State of Decay 3 years ago and then nothing. Other than it will be yet another mediocre live-service game.

SHA

Idk, I'm not an expert, something that Helldivers and Pal World alienate, it looks like they're chasing trends rather than the lifespan of games.

Last edited:

Woody337

I have a bad feeling bethesda is a realistic guess. Starfield bombed and they have nothing for years and years. What scares me is that to me its possible. So in this event microsoft kills bethesda and will hold the rights to fallout and elder scrolls so no one can carry it on.

jm89

Ninja theory/initiative.

I think obsidian will survive even if avowed ends up being a bomb, they can do fallout stuff, wether that be remasters or spin offs.

But current ms doesn't seem like in a forgiving mood so who knows.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They need a studio to make fallout. I wouldn’t worry about obsidian being closed

Obsidian will turn into Fallout factory while Bethesda is making Elder Scrolls

This won't happen. I've got more chance of being sucked off to completion by Joe Biden than that happening.

They can remaster 3 and NV, then give Bethesda more resources to turnaround FO5.

Even if Microsoft did want to do this, it would take Obsidian well over 5 years to make an Fallout game.

Final point, Obsidian made one FO game 14 years ago. There is no guarantee they'll make anything to NV standard again.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
100% Ninja Theory. They're toast.

You can't piss that many years away on a cut price, digital only AA game that lasts 8hrs, and is the sequel to a game that wasn't that popular in the first place.

And clearly MS aren't about to give anyone any second chances.

Obsidian are getting fucked into the rest of Bethesda's sweatshop to work on Fallout 76.

Last edited:
Ninja Theory most likely. They released that Hellblade 2 trailer along with the Series X announcement at TGA 2019, it's now 2024 and Hellblade is basically a "Game Pass game". I'd love to be wrong but it's an uphill battle for it to be a critical and financial success. Microsoft will definitely be eyeing the upcoming release carefully.

Hugare

They must be doing the same predictions internally, for sure

Imagine working for MS right now

Probably going to be Undead Labs > The Initiative > Ninja Theory

UL havent released shit for a long time. Really long time.

The Initiative is a joke studio. Havent released anything, is consuming truckloads of money, need Crystal Dynamics help and yet cant decide if their game is gonna be 1st person or 3rd person. They are one performance report away from going to the chopping block.

And NT 'cause Senua wont perform as well as MS hopes, I bet

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is a really depressing thread 🥲

Top Bottom