• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell happened to LucasArts and Star Wars games?

The 2 Star Wars games we have gotten this gen and sold millions upon millions. Force Unleashed and Star Wars Lego(20 million for that!).
51kIiQDuCZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
star-wars-the-clone-wars-republic-heroes-ps3-boxart.jpg

Seda

Tie Fighter/X-Wing/ X-Wing Alliance
Battlefront
Rogue Squadron
Dark Forces/Jedi Knight
KotOR
Empire at War/Galactic BattleGrounds

Where did all these guys go?

I just don't understand the no show of Battlefront. I can't think of a bigger no brainer. It's like they don't want money!

If we're talking about Lucasarts, I'm still holding out for HD Remakes of these and a true sequel:

250px-Maniac_Mansion_artwork.jpg

250px-Day_of_the_Tentacle_artwork.jpg

Seda said:
Tie Fighter/X-Wing/ X-Wing Alliance
Battlefront
Rogue Squadron
Dark Forces/Jedi Knight
KotOR
Empire at War/Galactic BattleGrounds

Where did all these guys go?

1. Probably very limited appeal, would be great to see a revival via Live Arcade/PSN, but I can't see LA bothering.

2. Still bitter over BF3 being canned. :(

3. N64/Gamecube killed the series and Factor 5 moved on. :(

4. 'evolved' (and I use the term loosely) into Force Unleashed.

5. The Old Republic happened. :(

6. Hadn't even heard of these until you mentioned them.

I'd love a Dark Forces reboot. Dark, gritty Star Wars shooter running on modern tech. This would rock.

I've given up hope on a new Tie Fighter. If we ever get one, it'll be an "arcadey" game like Rogue Squadron.

kunonabi

N64 era was great for SW games

Shadows of the Empire
Episode 1 pod racer
Rogue Squadron
Battle for Naboo

Just an awesome linup.

GC was solid too

Bounty Hunter
The Clone Wars(very underrated multiplayer game)
Rogue Leader
Rebel strike

Never cared for the Jedi Knight series but the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series was amazing.

I also wonder why they pissed away Battlefront. I loved Battlefront II and a proper xbox live/psn sequel would have been easy money.

I always think that an xwing game these days with the power of machines and online would be the greatest.

Oh and Wii U has a built in Vader scope. Juz sayin...

Kinyou

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
I just don't understand the no show of Battlefront. I can't think of a bigger no brainer. It's like they don't want money!

If we're talking about Lucasarts, I'm still holding out for HD Remakes of these and a true sequel:
Are there any numbers on how well the Monkey Island Remakes sold? Really loved to play through those especially since I never played the originals.

I'd love a new Tie Fighter, the original was so much fun

They should also remake Rebel Assault, the first CD-Rom game I ever played lol

Kinyou said:
Are there any numbers on how well the Monkey Island Remakes sold? Really loved to play through those especially since I never played the originals.

The first one sold well enough to get us the second....but nothing else since. =( I really want The Dig, Loom, the Indy games, Zak McKrakin, ect.

Salmonax

StevieP said:
This is hilarious. And I agree with folks saying Star Wars just isn't cool anymore. The brand has been tarnished, the universe is a muddled, generic sci-fi mess (which used to be the EU's job), and nobody's inspired to create cool things around it.

Salmonax said:
This is hilarious. And I agree with folks saying Star Wars just isn't cool anymore. The brand has been tarnished, the universe is a muddled, generic sci-fi mess (which used to be the EU's job), and nobody's inspired to create cool things around it.
Yeah, I was a big Star Wars fan (KOTOR1 is still one of my favorite games) but I cannot get excited for it any more. Force Unleashed had potential (what if you were an INCREDIBLY powerful dark Jedi?!) but in the end it was just kinda bland.

I really liked LEGO Star Wars 3, but that wasn't a LucasArts game. The only thing i want to play of there's are the older games I never got a chance to play (Tie Fighter, X-Wing, etc.). I would love a new rogue squadron or at least an HD remake/compilation of the best levels.

If the games are good I will play them, but the universe isn't enough to draw me in like it used to be. SWTOR just looks like a MMO with story stuff that can't keep my interest anymore.

Still pissed we're getting Star Wars Kinect instead of a Move game in which you can actually, like, move around. Move-mote for 1:1 lightsabering, nav controller to move your character around... yes, this is something I want. Maybe not a full $60 game tho, probably a downloadable thing.

Jarmel

Banned
I really and I mean really don't fucking understand this. They already have the IPs made and people love Star Wars. This should be very easy money in the fucking bank. It's like this is done to intentionally spite fans.

AlexSmash said:

This, for me its the one star wars game that could see in the current market. With Clone wars heavily focused on the military aspect of star wars something like RC2 could really excell. It even has a place in a multiplayer enviroment as a mix between Battlefield and Halo.

The company is just horribly managed. They missed out on so many opportunities this gen. Battlefront games were big hits and we are in the era of most popular MP shooters probably ever and they don't bother putting out a new one? They were being worked on apparently twice, maybe they were not coming out well, but still wtf

Battlefront II was my favorite Xbox 1 Live multiplayer game (together with PGR2). Huge maps, vehicles, inclusion of bots (so even bad players could kill stuff), and the design of being able to play a "hero" for a short time was genius.

WillyFive

Lucasarts was awful this generation.

The best games with a Lucas franchise this gen (the Lego games) didn't even come from them.

Back in the early 90s, I dreamed of a Star Wars adventure game. Fucking LucasArts never gave me one.

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:

250px-Maniac_Mansion_artwork.jpg
250px-Day_of_the_Tentacle_artwork.jpg
After the Monkey Island Remake, you'd better give up hope for anything decent (besides the music).

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
BrokenSymmetry said:
Battlefront II was my favorite Xbox 1 Live multiplayer game (together with PGR2). Huge maps, vehicles, inclusion of bots (so even bad players could kill stuff), and the design of being able to play a "hero" for a short time was genius.
I agree. You could always find games to play too. Good times.

With shooters being all the rage, it's amazing they haven't attempted an Imperial Commando sequel. Put in a multiplayer mode with unlockable trooper armor and the game basically sells itself.

bengraven

Speedymanic said:
No, no, no, no, no!

I loved JA, but it was piss poor in comparison to Jedi Knight. I want more adventures playing as Kyle Katarn, I don't want to play as some whiny student.

I said both!

I'd like an action-RPG centered around the Academy, it doesn't have to be like JK:JA.

Ark

It's a disgrace that Battlefront 3 never made it to shelves. Certainly one of my favourite games during the PS2 era.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Osiris said:
I agree with plagiarize, TPM / Prequel trilogy happened and devalued the brand so much that it's just not as much of a draw as it used to be. LucasArts will be lucky to survive IMO.

Ask kids aged 12 to 17 years old what they think of the SW franchise in general, and the result is mostly... "Meh".

Absolute nonsense. Star Wars is stronger as a brand than it ever has been before, and the vast majority of the major hit SW games are post-1999. Not nearly as many people hate the prequels as the angry internet nerd faction would like to believe.

The state of Star Wars videogames is due to mismanagement of and inside LucasArts itself, not anything to do with the strength of the Star Wars brand.

The Spoony Hou said:
After the Monkey Island Remake, you'd better give up hope for anything decent (besides the music).
The LeChuck's Revenge remake was much better than SoMI's remake. The art style actually looked kind of good.

At this point with both Schafer and Gilbert over at Double Fine I'd be far more interested in them doing something with old Lucasarts point 'n clicks than I would be in Lucasarts doing something themselves lol. TTG did okay with Sam 'n Max s3 and the last few episodes of Tales of Monkey Island but there is soooo much room for improvement.

Also, Star Wars.

bill0527

MattKeil said:
Absolute nonsense. Star Wars is stronger as a brand than it ever has been before, and the vast majority of the major hit SW games are post-1999. Not nearly as many people hate the prequels as the angry internet nerd faction would like to believe.

The state of Star Wars videogames is due to mismanagement of and inside LucasArts itself, not anything to do with the strength of the Star Wars brand.

Yes anyone that thinks the brand is dead is delusional.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20110618-17/star-wars-breaks-blu-ray-sales-records/

Best-selling catalog Blu-Ray disc of all time.. after only 1 week, and at an $85 price tag.

And even most of the shitty Star Wars games still generate sales that most publishers can only fantasize about.

nothing i said talked about sales or brand strength.

hell, i really enjoyed the Pod Racer game, but it USED to be the case that Star Wars games were amongst the best in their genres, and in many cases were pushing those genres forwards.

whether you liked Star Wars or not, seeing the name on a game in the nineties was pretty much a guarantee of quality, and it isn't anymore.

that's not to say there isn't still the odd good game here or there to carry the name, but the *overall quality* of the titles have undoubtedly suffered. it's the difference between 'good for a licensed game' and 'good for a game'.

what happened to the Lucasarts that tried to make each game the best in it's genre?

The Phantom Menace.

I would love a Rogue Squadron game set in the expanded universe. There's so many battles that have never been touched in a game and could at a lot of depth to the games.

Chris R

I'd kill for a next gen Outlaws game... RDR was good, but not what I'd want from an Outlaws game (from what I played at least).

GDP94.jpg

edit: And so this sticks exactly to the thread (I misread the title, thinking the op was talking about Lucas Arts games in general as well as their Star Wars games) the engine that is used in the Outlaws game could be used for another Jedi Knight game. There, stickin' to the topic at hand!

ScrabbleDude said:
I would love a Rogue Squadron game set in the expanded universe. There's so many battles that have never been touched in a game and could at a lot of depth to the games.

Some battles set in the New Jedi Order would make for some interesting encounters.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
plagiarize said:
nothing i said talked about sales or brand strength.

hell, i really enjoyed the Pod Racer game, but it USED to be the case that Star Wars games were amongst the best in their genres, and in many cases were pushing those genres forwards.

whether you liked Star Wars or not, seeing the name on a game in the nineties was pretty much a guarantee of quality, and it isn't anymore.

Haha, what? Yeah, Shadows of the Empire, Masters of Teras Kasi, Yoda Stories, Star Wars Chess, Star Wars: Rebellion, Rebel Assault, SW Trilogy Arcade, they really pushed forward and represent the pinnacles of their respective genres. The SNES games were playable but more in a "better than I expected from a licensed game" way.

I love SW Arcade and the X-Wing games, too, but gimme a break. Selective memory much?

that's not to say there isn't still the odd good game here or there to carry the name, but the *overall quality* of the titles have undoubtedly suffered. it's the difference between 'good for a licensed game' and 'good for a game'.

I have a hard time agreeing in the face of the Battlefront games, KOTOR, Republic Commando, Jedi Outcast/Academy, and Rogue Leader. Just as many great SW games, surrounded by low quality ones that nobody bothers to remember. Your entire assertion is just rose-colored glasses for the '90s era.

what happened to the Lucasarts that tried to make each game the best in it's genre?

The Phantom Menace.

Outside of point-and-click adventure games, that LucasArts never really existed, and The Phantom Menace most certainly did not kill that genre. LucasArts' serious troubles don't even really start in earnest until around the 2005 mark. Step away from the prequel rage and look at the timeline more objectively.

Marco1

Lucasarts has died, if they think that we want force unleashed 2 instead of x-wing or tie-fighter sequel then that's proof.

Top Bottom